The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Archon's Way of Wicked Campaign

Something went wonky with permissions. I don't know if those links expire or what, but when I followed the link I was denied permission to see the content. I sent an email requesting access, which you will hopefully recognize from my forum tag.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

New link fixed so if you have the link, you can edit.
    Married 6 7 years! 7-29-12
    seriously? i kept this sig that long?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

As that last roll is a crit, here is the roll to see if the crit confirms:

Ranged Touch Attack In Melee: (1d20)[11]
    Acid Damage: (1d3)[2]

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for the double post, but could not think of another way to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    It was my intent that the burning hands take place before anyone else moves into the room. Though X doesn't care, I would obviously prefer to not kill my fellow player's characters as a result of simple miscommunication.

In most games I play, it's assumed that players will act in the order most beneficial to them. For example, if Mira delays her action until after X's burning hands, the only net effect is that she's not in the radius to be struck by his spell. It's perfectly legal by standard combat rules, and doesn't risk losing a turn or anything (that's readied actions, not delaying), so if we're going to strictly follow initiative rules, please make it a point to be communicative and read each other's posts. Burning hands is literally X's only first-level spell until we hit level 3. I hope for it to happen a lot, as it's also likely to usually be his most powerful option.
    In the last IC post, Farmerbink posted the above. I'd also like to bring this up for discussion.

I posted after Mira, so I figured Amber could not do Burning Hands without hitting her. While Amber does not have the exact same problem as X with Burning Hands being the only first-level spell she has, as she has two, but it's still close. Her other spell is Charm Person, which obviously is far more difficult to use when combat has already started. I will note that X's Burning Hands is clearly more powerful than Amber's.

How should we handle Burning Hands with initiative order? I direct this question not just to the GM, but to the other players as well, because of delaying.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2018-07-22 at 01:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215

EvilClericGuy

Goddamn autocorrect!

I am sick of having to edit posts and reports to fix errors caused by a computer thinking it is smarter than me.

Previous post edited. Knight of Mira corrected back to Knight of Mitra.

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post
    Her other spell is Charm Person, which obviously is far more difficult to use when combat has already started. I will note that X's Burning Hands is clearly more powerful than Amber's.
    He's almost a one-trick pony. His trick better be pretty good!

I hope to build him into an intimidating monster (perhaps more literally than one might guess, thanks to the various polymorph spells on the wizard/sorc list) someday, but we'll see.

7. - Top - End - #217

EvilClericGuy

Farmer, if you want X to change his actions knowing that you can move to a point where you won't hit allies, you may

In the time skip between Acts II and III, there is an in-story reason for the group to become more cohesive and co-ordinated. Once Act III starts, Mira and Caleb will instinctively hold for spells, X and Amber will deliberately aim to avoid the melee fighters, etc.

So you just have to finish this boss battle.

With that in mind,

Amber confirmed her crit with an 11 so his touch AC is 11 or lower. Thus his dex mod is one or less.
    Mira's 26 beat his AC. Caleb's 21 didn't.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you, archon_huskie, that's appreciated!

Also, soon we can find out whether he has more than 4 HD or not, due to Amber's daze spell.

9. - Top - End - #219

That's all fair, Archon. To be honest, X probably wouldn't spend too much mental overhead on it at this point, anyway. Like I said I am somewhat more concerned than he would be. Hell, he might actually enjoy it at this point, and make use of that bluff score to convince his "allies" that it wasn't intentional! XD

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Just pointing out that Caleb (and Irene) failed at initiative and wont have a second turn until after Sir Douche-Canoe.
    Semper ludens.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

archon_huskie, you mentioned we just have to finish this battle, now I have to admit I'm eager to, once completing this trial, learn more what the flag Amber found previously can do!

Spoiler: Flag
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    Tiadora will take a look at the flag in the three days down time. She holds it so the 5 pointed star points downward. "This flag is from an extinguished noble house. They were faithful Asmodeans for you can see the image of your holy symbol woven into the stitching. I could not tell you more of the family's details. Such records would be rare these days." She stares at it for a bit. "Some banners were enchanted to aid those who fought under it. This is one such banner. The magic of this banner has waned. But with certain rites, we may be able to restore it fully. I will ask the Master when he returns."

Also, are we going to get a moment to chat amongst ourselves again? If so, CasualViking, would you be interested to have a scene where Amber asks more about the faith of Asmodeus to Caleb, looking to one of his faithful? I think it would be nice character progression to see her develop more faith in Asmodeus along the way, instead of just paying lip service.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

I would enjoy a scane like that with Amber.

Also, Caleb is carrying off Sir Balin with intent to torture him, because it would be unbelievable not for him to do that, but I'm not particularly into torture scenes myself.
    Semper ludens.

13. - Top - End - #223

EvilClericGuy

What will be your goal in torturing Sir Balin?
    Information. Hurting him. Breaking his faith.

Remember, your ultimate goal in this dungeon is to retrieve a pendant of silver and sapphire within 24 hours. So you do have plenty of time.
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2018-07-30 at 07:45 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    What will be your goal in torturing Sir Balin?
    Information. Hurting him. Breaking his faith.

Remember, your ultimate goal in this dungeon is to retrieve a pendant of silver and sapphire within 24
    hours. So you do have plenty of time.
    I'm going to try to get a list of his spies and informants. And then, just for fun, getting him to renounce Mitra and declare that he has always been a pawn of Asmodeus. Unless someone interferes, I'm willing to push until it kills him, but if he breaks, I will leave him lying on the rack. Caleb is really just in it to re-assert his power.
    Semper ludens.

15. - Top - End - #225

As the party's resident sadist/psycho, X will happily continue torturing Balin after Caleb is done. No real goal except to cause pain and enjoy it. (He's kind of a sicko).

As CV said, I have no interest in RPing that scene. but X would see to it that Balin didn't leave the room alive, and he would enjoy the process of inflicting pain.

16. - Top - End - #226

EvilClericGuy

Balin is quite willing to talk about his method for tracking down witches and heretics. He prays to Mitra a lot and follows the signs given to him from on high. As for a spy network or informants, He claims he doesn't have one. If he needs information, he asks around. He's a competent tracker and investigator, though not as class features, but he gives credit for his skills to Mitra instead of himself.

Balin is a fanatic, devoted to his god, king, and homeland. He is also a wandering errant knight. While a member of the Alerion Order, he is not a high ranking member. He does not have high level secret military information, just in case situations like being captured and tortured by Asmodean Cultists occur.

So you will quickly get the impression that breaking him, getting him to renounce his faith and admit to being a pawn of Infernal Asmodeus will take longer than a single torture session.

But that's okay. It means you have time to practice and gain the skill Profession: Torturer. And perhaps Mira will get a chance to have her one on one duel.

And I am happy to not role-play torture sessions as that would require me to know how to torture in order to role-play it.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

I'd like to take advantage of this downtime to begin training for the Sanguine Angel PrC, at least from an RP perspective.

18. - Top - End - #228

rolling for HPs (half if less than that)
    (1d6)[5]

Edit: hot.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

is anyone else considering that full plate?
    Semper ludens.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Surprisingly, I'm not interested in the full plate. I'm fine if somebody else gets the cloak.

HP: (1d6)[2]

By the way, I am taking the Fiend Sight feat for the second time, meaning Amber will be able to see perfectly in the dark, even in magical darkness. Combined with a high stealth, this means she can be an excellent scout at night.

Farmberbink, I see you updated X's character sheet already. You gained Mage Armour from Dragon bloodline and took Enlarge Person. I gained Protection from Good from the Infernal Bloodline and have yet to pick another spell. Do you, or anybody else for that matter, have any recommendations? Ideally it fits with the Infernal sorcerous powers she has, but otherwise I'm looking at something that'd help the party. Unsure at the moment what would be useful. Infernal Healing for example is a great fit with the Infernal Bloodline, but I think it'd be a better idea to have that spell on a wand with us.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Rolling for my hips: (1d10+1)[9]

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    is anyone else considering that full plate?
    You'll have to pick up proficiency for it to not be a HOOOORRRRRRRIBLE idea. Other than that, I figure Mira's you'r only competition, and she might be too turned off by it having once been Sir Balin's.

... Or maybe she'd find delicious irony in it and wear it proudly. Could go either way.

Edit: I should read IC before posting OOC. Looks like it's all yours. I'd still recommend finding a way to gain proficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post
    Farmberbink, I see you updated X's character sheet already. You gained Mage Armour from Dragon bloodline and took Enlarge Person. I gained Protection from Good from the Infernal Bloodline and have yet to pick another spell. Do you, or anybody else for that matter, have any recommendations? Ideally it fits with the Infernal sorcerous powers she has, but otherwise I'm looking at something that'd help the party. Unsure at the moment what would be useful. Infernal Healing for example is a great fit with the Infernal Bloodline, but I think it'd be a better idea to have that spell on a wand with us.
    Indeed. I meant to post addressing this also, but clearly forgot. In general, I would say that you should focus on more utility-esque spells, of which infernal healing might count. It's not my favorite, and as you said is reliable on a wand. Alternatively, stuff like grease or summons could be great. Other notable "could be goods:" sleep, color spray, magic missile. Obviously you'll outgrow the first two relatively soon (but could swap them out at that point because sorcerer), and MM grows with you in potency.

If it weren't obvious, I plan to focus pretty hard on a combination of evocation in general (I already took Spell Focus: evocation and Greater to make them reliable), and offensive buffs. Assuming you don't want us to duplicate any more of our utility than is necessary, steer clear of those. Regarding mage armor, since it doesn't fit the above niche AT ALL, the Orc bloodline spell is burning hands, which I already had, so it's my only choice for bloodline spell at this level. It'll come in handy with X being all up in it so much, too.

23. - Top - End - #233

EvilClericGuy

I am assuming that the capstone to Mira's montage of training with be actually running a one on one duel with her and Balin.

For Amber: Infernal healing is a good fit thematically. But it has a small problem. It only grants it only heals a hit point per round. Utility wise, a wand of cure light wounds is better in combat. Good spells to have are often called save or die spells. The target either makes the save or is effectively taken out of the fight. Sleep and Color Spray are often called the best first level save or die spells.

Also these spells are from an appendix in the 6th book they are allowed I don't believe there are any There is one or two low level spells, but I wanted to mention them.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-pa...ountain-games/

There's also feats from the appendix in the 5th book. Most of these relate to becoming a vampire or selling your soul to Asmodeus, not necessarily applicable to your characters yet, but I want you to know that the options are available.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-p...ountain-games/

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for mentioning the spells and feats, archon_huskie! I'm finding it difficult to pick one of the traits from the IC, as multiple can be fitting!

I had not intended Infernal Healing to be a combat spell, if choosing it. Just figured it fits well with the whole Infernal theme and offers some healing capability. I agree save or die spells are good, especially if the enemy fails their save! Sleep and Color Spray are excellent spells, as you both state archon_huskie and Farmberbink. I do acknowledge they both are soon outgrown, therefore I hesitate to take them, as they are most useful on level 1. Sleep, for example, would not have affected Sir Balin. I think from the utility combat spells, Grease remains rather solid, so that's definitely under consideration.

Farmerbink, you sure a first level summon is worth it? Only lasts 3 rounds, takes a full round to cast and can only take a single hit. Magic Missile is solid, but I think as you mentioned adding utility is more useful at this point then more damage. May swamp out Burning Hands for Magic Missile later on, because at 5th level I'll get Scorching Ray, a suiting hellfire spell, and Burning Hands puts me at a dangerous range.

Also, X focusing on offense is fitting, considering how he likes to be in the thick of battle. I won't focus on straight up Evocation. I see Amber more as gaining magical powers related to her infernal blood and trickery. Burning Hands represents the hell fire connection and Charm Person a power to beguile others. Now Protection from Good is added due to Infernal Bloodline and with you having Mage Armor and Enlarge Person, I think the three spells together offer a nice array of buffs available.

I'm also eyeing Silent Image to add trickery to Amber's possibilities. Could be used to create illusions of walls for example, to provide battlefield utility, and other out of combat utility. Would that be a good way to add utility?
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2018-08-07 at 05:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235

Regarding summon 1: no, I'm not sure it's worth it.

If you go more in the direction of silent image and such, there's a lot of fun/strong choices you can make. I would encourage you to be very clear with Archon about what exactly you expect from silent image. Nothing can be more frustrating than a player setting up what they think will be an effective strategy only to find that the DM's interpretation is very different, rendering it useless. In particular, the illusion spells can fall prey to this outcome if you're not careful.

Finally, regarding scorching ray: I've literally had X with a trait to improve his scorching ray capabilities since creation. Obviously, being in melee long term as a sorcerer is a... ballsy choice at best, and I was planning to have him develop into something of a switch-hitter, in terms of play style. He'll soften targets up with scorching ray and other artillery-esque spells, before wading in to play mop-up with the blade.

I'm still not sure if I'll be able to fit something like cornugon smash into the build, as he'll be pretty dependent on his feats to keep blasting reliable, and the to-hit penalty may be too steep on a low BAB character, but it's a thought I've been playing with. I hope you don't take this as "you're not allowed to use scorching ray," but we're both arsonists, so obviously we're both going to be leaning towards that kind of stuff.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice to hear about X's build! Hadn't realised you were that focused on Scorching Ray. To note, it's not like I have a choice gaining Scorching Ray. I get it from the Infernal Bloodline as bonus spell at 5th. Mostly picked Arsonist because of background instead of the bonus, so I'm not going to focus on fire spells.

Also, I think X is very bold, so stepping in melee fits! Good point about the illusion spells. What kind of things have you encountered that can be frustrating?

Archon_huskie, how will you handle illusion spells? I figure if I make an illusion of a wall as mage, the opposition will try to walk around if feasible, unless they have hints they're dealing with an illusion caster. Would that be correct? Making an illusion of a fierce beast would be more tricky, so would like to know how you'd role that. I'm hoping I could cover up pits with the illusion of a floor so people will fall in unexpectedly. And ofcourse other utility such as displaying maps, etc. In that light, how much could an illusion move and act? Could a watched scene be replayed?

27. - Top - End - #237

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Regarding summon 1: no, I'm not sure it's worth it.

If you go more in the direction of silent image and such, there's a lot of fun/strong choices you can make. I would encourage you to be very clear with Archon about what exactly you expect from silent image. Nothing can be more frustrating than a player setting up what they think will be an effective strategy only to find that the DM's interpretation is very different, rendering it useless. In particular, the illusion spells can fall prey to this outcome if you're not careful.
    Tell me what you want the illusion to be plus how you intend for others to react is a good idea for any illusion. That way when the enemy fails their will save, I can have to react as you want them to. After all none of the characters are named Elan.

28. - Top - End - #238

Haha, naturally. Oh well, it’s still a good spell so hopefully neither of us will feel like the slot is wasted.

@everyone else: I’d like to coordinate so we don’t have an awful lot of the same trait(s) repeated. Is anyone else considering the angel slayer, initiative, or spell perfecting traits? At current those are the three I’m most likely to pick, and I’d just like input if anyone has it.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Would it be that bad if we had the same traits, though?

Anyway, I'm considering “Deception is a tool. Master it.”, “Discover what is real and what is illusion.” ,“Fear nothing save our dread lord.”, “Focus strengthens your will.”, “Strike first, strike ruthlessly and thus be victorious”. Would have loved to take "Quiet as death” (+2 Stealth), but I already have a trait giving me +1 Stealth. Otherwise, boosting bluff or initiative are strong and the illusion save fits with taking the illusion spell.

Most ideally I'd like:
    “You see in darkness like the fiends themselves. Embrace your fiendish sight.” Cardinal Adrustus taught Amber to embrace her fiendish sight and the supernatural sight that comes with it. Gain Perception as class skill.

But I think that's probably too strong. Also, for some reason I totally see Mira fitting with the Angel Slayer trait, haha.

To discuss Silent Image, archon_huskie, how would you handle Amber calling forth an illusion of a wall on the battlefield, so the enemy can't charge and needs to walk around? From my reading the rules this wouldn't allow a save unless they touch the wall or spend an action studying the wall, unless they suspect I'm an illusionist from the start.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2018-08-08 at 01:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, Angel Slayer is a little too situational for my taste. I'll just stick with the solid +2 to initiative.