The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Archon's Way of Wicked Campaign

hit points! (1d8+3)[10]
    Semper ludens.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

We should get at least a wand of Infernal Healing.
    Semper ludens.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree. Should the wand be divine or arcane? Divine is ofcourse more fitting and Caleb is more difficult to hit, but we do have two arcanists. Perhaps even go for two wands, one divine, one arcane?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post
    I agree. Should the wand be divine or arcane? Divine is ofcourse more fitting and Caleb is more difficult to hit, but we do have two arcanists. Perhaps even go for two wands, one divine, one arcane?
    There is a near-zero chance X will use the wand in combat. That implies lack of confidence that he can kill the enemy(). Because failing a UMD check on a wand doesn't waste a charge (and his UMD mod is fairly high anyway), it makes no difference to me nor him whether the wand is divine or arcane.

Also, my first kid was born Saturday, so if my posting rate suffers you know why.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations with your newborn! Enjoy the sweet smiles and infernal howling keeping you awake in the dead of night cuteness! I wish you the best of luck raising a small little person in this world.

Regarding the way, I was imagining out of combat situations where the usual wand wielder is down or not in the vicinity, with time of the essence. Though upon thinking about it, potions could be a sufficient alternative.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Congrats on the tiny human! And welcome to the world of eat, sleep, poop (although it takes a while for pooping to come online). You'll figure it all out as you go along, and don't worry - you will hve no shortage of advice. No shortage at all.
    Semper ludens.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

We'll buy two wands of Infernal Healing, one for Caleb and one for Amber. Mira got the +1 cloak.
    Semper ludens.

8. - Top - End - #248

Just as a note of clarification, "X" is more likely to respond to "hey you," or some descriptor of who he is/what he does than he is to "X". The use of x is just like algebra- it represents a variable rather than some fixed quantity, in this case intended to represent the fact that he doesn't have a name at all. It's just a convenient shorthand for our purposes, out-of-character. In-character, it has no meaning at all.

Please call him "Sorcerer," "Stranger," "Orc" (though that last one's not technically correct, but whatever; "Half-Orc" would be fine, too), or even just "You," or something of the like, when addressing him directly. Someday, I'd like to replace Stranger with Friend on that list, but in the meantime, he's kind of just the nameless weirdo with something of a fetish for causing things pain.

Edit: afterthought. If you want to post some sort of dialogue expressing Caleb's decision to use "X" as a moniker, I will be happy to respond to that in-kind. I don't think he would be pleased, but with enough support from the rest of the group he might be convinced to allow you all to adopt it as one.

Edit again: and yes, SO much advice. It's amazing how much of it is literally the opposite of other pieces of advice.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Good job on baby making! I don't have children myself, but from what I've read from my friends who have, "Sleep is precious. Sleep when you can."

On the topic of gear. At some point during the training, the Cardinal will mention that your next mission will involve taking a ship and traveling North past the Watch Wall. Just in case that affects what gear you buy and if you want to put a rank into swim.
    Married 6 7 years! 7-29-12
    seriously? i kept this sig that long?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

archon_huskie, I still have two questions. Would a trait like below (Perception as class skill), or something similar (+2 trait bonus to Perception perhaps), be acceptable?

“You see in darkness like the fiends themselves. Embrace your fiendish sight.” Cardinal Adrustus taught Amber to embrace her fiendish sight and the supernatural sight that comes with it. Gain Perception as class skill.

In addition, how would you handle Amber calling forth an illusion of a wall on the battlefield? The intention would be so the enemy can't charge and needs to walk around. From my reading the rules this wouldn't allow a save unless they touch the wall or spend an action studying the wall, which seems unlikely unless they suspect I'm an illusionist from the start. How do you see that?

11. - Top - End - #251

EvilClericGuy

archon_huskie, I still have two questions. Would a trait like below (Perception as class skill), or something similar (+2 trait bonus to Perception perhaps), be acceptable?

“You see in darkness like the fiends themselves. Embrace your fiendish sight.” Cardinal Adrustus taught Amber to embrace her fiendish sight and the supernatural sight that comes with it. Gain Perception as class skill.
    That works.

In addition, how would you handle Amber calling forth an illusion of a wall on the battlefield? The intention would be so the enemy can't charge and needs to walk around. From my reading the rules this wouldn't allow a save unless they touch the wall or spend an action studying the wall, which seems unlikely unless they suspect I'm an illusionist from the start. How do you see that?
    I thought I had replied to this. I realized what had happened was, I went looking for the Strip where has do that trick against . #892, 893, and 895 Then I got distracted by reading through the rest of that book. . .

But OotS supports the idea that they wouldn't get a will save unless they had a reason to disbelieve. Reasons like knowing you are an illusionist, seeing you cast it and knowing you aren't able to cast wall of stone. But a charging enemy with little knowledge of the arcane would be fooled.

So yes very possible to get creative with a battlefield using a simple illusion.

12. - Top - End - #252

Archon, I have a question. I assume that Tiadora is more than capable of handling us, in a combat sense. Would it be acceptable for me to write a post that includes:

1. Tiadora lashes X for some failure
    2. X goes off on her, actually trying to beat her down
    3. Tiadora kicks at least the metaphorical sh*t out of him
    4. They continue to train because Thorn commands it, though neither want to
    5. X continues to develop more and more hatred for her, nearly attacking her on multiple occasions
    6. Tiadora all-but dares him to do it again, mentioning how much fun it was the last time
    7. X eventually develops begrudging respect and admiration, simply for her strength and ferocity

Any beef with that?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    That works.

I thought I had replied to this. I realized what had happened was, I went looking for the Strip where has do that trick against . #892, 893, and 895 Then I got distracted by reading through the rest of that book. . .

But OotS supports the idea that they wouldn't get a will save unless they had a reason to disbelieve. Reasons like knowing you are an illusionist, seeing you cast it and knowing you aren't able to cast wall of stone. But a charging enemy with little knowledge of the arcane would be fooled.

So yes very possible to get creative with a battlefield using a simple illusion.
    It's worth noting that, in my opinion at least, mindless creatures are extremely susceptible to simple illusions. They are unable to gauge whether or not a given enemy should be able to conjure stone walls, and also unable to remember that there wasn't a stone wall before or that there was someone down the tunnel. They would need to non-visually perceive a threat (or morsel) on the other side of an illusionary wall before they will even interact with it.
    Semper ludens.

14. - Top - End - #254

I'm gonna assume it's OK, and delete or amend it if needed.

15. - Top - End - #255

EvilClericGuy

It is good. You all get the feeling that Tiadora is probably not a human woman.

16. - Top - End - #256

Damn. Good time for some solid rolls. Go Mira, go!

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, thanks. And I hope this exchange gives some insight into how Mira is...So far she's kinda been the token good teammate, at least a little.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

I just finished a massive project at work, so now I can breathe and slack off a bit again :-)
    Semper ludens.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations with finishing the project!

archon_huskie, in the north, what kind of clothing do they wear there? Is that something the Cardinal or any present knows?

20. - Top - End - #260

EvilClericGuy

The north. Sometimes called the Frozen North or the Savage North. They wear cold-weather outfits mostly year round. Elise Zadaria and the white ravens are from there. Furs are fashionable but more for practicality. People will often accessorize with jewelry made of bone, obsidian, or crystal.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Would it be possible for Amber Tash to find the time to use craft (clothing) to fashion cold-weather outfits for the full party? She was a tailor's daughter after all.

22. - Top - End - #262

EvilClericGuy

Yes.

Make your group uniforms!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Great! Farmerbink, Ionbound and CasualViking, I'd love to hear any preferences for our team outfit!

24. - Top - End - #264

You know X is virtually guaranteed to be unhelpful, right? XD

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Mira would want something functional and classy. No bones or anything obviously evil. Not her style

26. - Top - End - #266

EvilClericGuy

Now that Mira's honor is restored, How does she wish to be stylized?
    Sir/ Dame/ Lord/ Lady
    of Eiseth/ of Fontaine/ of Dis

And this goes for the rest of you too.
    Asmodeus is a god of Ambition so if you want fancy titles, the first step is claiming one.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Caleb wants the full royal purple, fur trimmings, everything. But he can be persuaded to go a bit more subtle.
    Semper ludens.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, so taking into account the wishes of Caleb and Mira, let's sum it up. Classy royal purple, functional fur trimmings, not too obviously evil. I'll try to think up of a nice description. Farmerbink, please share any wishes you may have. Also, what do you mean with X being unhelpful? Does X not want a badass cold-weather outfit in the cold?

29. - Top - End - #269

X doesn't even have a name. He's the opposite of ostentatious, so "bad ass" is not a descriptor he would want associate with any aspect of his appearance. He'd be very pleased to have functional, dark colored (so as to not impede stealth and blending in) clothing for the upcoming trip, but would absolutely turn his nose up at finery, bright colors, or other more showy things. Maybe someday he'll change on that front, but I don't really expect it.

30. - Top - End - #270

EvilClericGuy

one of the campaign books goes into detail on the metaphysics of what happens to souls in hell. I am trying to find which book that is so that Thorn can answer Amber's question
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2018-09-10 at 10:05 AM.