New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Curse of Strahd, Chapter 0: Death House IC

"It must have thought you were the young girl who lived here Maria. I don't know how we look to a spirit, but we might be as hazy and indistinct to them as they are to us. That would explain why it wanted to separate you from the rest of us."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-09-22 at 08:05 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

While Strahd is known to be capable of arcane magic, the legends mostly focus on his status as conqueror, warrior and later on vampire. He is not known for being an expert necromancer. And to raise Castle Ravenloft out of the cliffs that surround it, he needed the aid of many powerful wizards.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Shaking himself, Kyran gets back to the matter at hand. "Let us search this room. Somehow I doubt there is a living infant for us to rescue, but I suspect this place is a part of the curse nonetheless."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception(1d20+3)[9]
    Investigation(1d20+4)[13]
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-09-23 at 06:51 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Agreed, let us be done with this room."

Lucian says as he helps the search.

5. - Top - End - #215

"The spectre stares from within the west wall
    Her child lies there dead - stillborn infant
    Even if it were a recent event
    What could we do? None can revive the dead."

Kyril walks over the door the ghost emerged from, and pulls on it in vain.

"It would seem that the door persists
    Through my vain attempts at strength feats.
    Lizard or Knight, might you help here?"

Show
    Is the music box still playing?
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Level 20 monstrous tristalt? No thanks, I already have a full-time job.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

The playing of the music box has stopped when the specter perished into the beyond-after.

You search the rooms. This seems to be the nursemaiden's bed chamber. Compared to the other servants she lives extremely luxurious. You think that is because the the master had an affair and thus a positive disposition with that particular servant. The first room to the left contains a crib with a black shroud over it. Your best guess is as if to mourn the death of a loved one. There is a baby sized bundle inside. Next to the sad site is a balcony with a door with big windows. The fog hangs grey and heavy over the site, making the room almost dark enough to just perceive colors in grey-scale. Maybe the baby is alive? Maybe the specter protected a corpse? The crib however is dead silent.

With the investigative skills you can tell there are some scratches on the floor leading to a particular area of the wall. As if leading to a door. You can't however tell how to open the door.

Show
    I'll outright tell you there is a secret door but you don't know how to open it. You can look for it's opening or you'll use Salasar's key blade. Or maybe the Dwarf knows enough of masonry. If you want to look for the door entry just aid the one with the best perception check. Or roll yourself.
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-09-24 at 04:37 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Perception: (1d20+2)[20]
    Investigation: (1d20-1)[16]
    Medicine: (1d20+4)[16] (for the baby-shaped lump)
    History (Masonry): [roll]2d20b1+1[/roll] (advantage from dwarven Stonecunning) = 14
    Last edited by WMO?; 2017-09-24 at 11:34 AM.
    GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 90: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. antisocial experiment.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    A census office. Quest: convince the workers that 32.21% of statistics are made up.

8. - Top - End - #218

BlueKnightGuy

Lucian stands there and looks at the baby size bundled in the crib.

"Perhaps, this is what she was talking about? Is this who the children were speaking of? Who would leave a child to die like this?"

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

It is SO obvious. You cannot use the supporting walls or columns for a secret door. You would avoid the master's bedroom, and hidden away in the wall next to the exit of the nursemaiden's room it would be. In her desperation she must have killed her kid. Attracted the curse. Not by Strahd though. The crib is empty. The bundle is just cloth wrapped around nothing. Not even around a bundle of cloth. Just air. Cold, cold air.

As the drama unfolds in your minds, you grow stronger. Smarter. Or more furious. Maybe Sune will help you get to the bottom of all of this. Or power. But one thing is certain. You will end this once and for all. Or die trying.

As you open the secret doorway, a shiver goes down your spine. The air is almost freezing, and a dark corridor is leading further up into the secret attic.

Spoiler
    Show

You have reached the milestone. You're supposed to level up now. I would suggest RPing a short rest, for further characterization, to reflect on the first half of the house, tactics, bonding et cetera. Maria would gain access to ONE of the following spells from the library: Find Familiar, Fog Cloud, False Life. Kyran could finish his Wondrous Invention with the information within the books. Lucian and Salasar could train together, Nestor could reflect on how the shadows have punished these cultists. And where shadows are, there ultimatively has to be some light.

You can roll your HP or take the average by the book, whichever is higher. You do not refresh used spell slots because you are too uneasy to rest. But you can prepare for the horrors ahead.

10. - Top - End - #220

BlueKnightGuy

Lucian looks at the crib and feels a sudden surge of emotion. "I, vow here and now, that I will cleanse this house of evil. No chid should suffer as this one did. If zlI should fail in life, then my ghost shall protect these halls."

Looking around as the secret door is discovered, Lucian suddenly feels the strain of the days events weigh on him.

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    I'm all for training/sparring. I'll leave it up to Salazar.

11. - Top - End - #221

Kyril shudders as the door opens. He backs away from it instinctively, reaching for his viol. He can't continue without music, poetry, or alcohol - preferably a combination of the three.

"I fear that we are ill prepared
    For the beasts hidden in the walls.
    Let us rest, train, and prepare well
    For beyond here is masquerade.
    I shall venture down to the harp
    My music soothes more than the soul."

On the second floor, Kyril remembers the loot he left behind. He picks up the iron key and 2 scrolls.

What foolishness led us to discard these?
    Ev'ry supply helps in horror houses.

He then plays the harp, the piano, and the viol intermittently, playing a soothing, relaxing tune. He seems lost in thought and the music.

Show
    Health roll: (1d8)[1]
    EDIT: Ok, I guess I'll be taking average health, then.

Is there a second room in the nursemaiden's room? I recall you saying something about 2 doors to the west.

I'll be playing a song of rest on the second floor, if anyone's taken any damage. If you spend HD within earshot of me, heal an extra 1d6.
    Last edited by puzzler7; 2017-09-24 at 02:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Staring into the darkness of the doorway and reflecting on the darkness of the family and their curse, the way it hurt the innocent children, Nestor feels a sense of duty greater than he has ever felt. He nods thoughtfully as Lucian makes his vow.

"I've always been a bit of a goofy fellow. My work was artistic and decadent, my clerical service has been haphazard at best. But in the face of this, all this, I realize the seriousness of light and beauty in the world. Stepping decisively forward, he shuts the secret door.

"Let us shut out the dark and take a moment to consider happier things, light and..." as he hears the soft strings of Kyril's viol begin to ring out..."music and companions who have seen each other through the dangers of this sad place so far." He heads down, looking for candles to place around the music room and rest.

Spoiler: Health
    Show

(1d8)[4] 5 it is then
    Last edited by WMO?; 2017-09-24 at 03:25 PM.
    GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 90: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. antisocial experiment.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    A census office. Quest: convince the workers that 32.21% of statistics are made up.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Let us go down a bit, I would prefer not to rest here."

Show
    Myth weaver's security credentials are apparently a bit wonky today, so I'll update my sheet later. Gained a magic item as if I'd just finished inventing the thing. I'm picking Goggles of Night. I'll fluff it as if I'd had it all along, and just had not pulled it out before.

(1d8)[2] ...ew, glad I'm not a frontliner.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-09-24 at 05:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224

Maria was trying to keep brave even though current events were scaring her half to death. She was not looking forward to searching the attic. But there was a sort of inner courage to her that kept her going. She may be innocent and naive but she was strong inside and a force to be reckoned with, she hoped. Currently she was studying a scroll she found in the library and with a sort of glee was hoping to have a familiar. She waited for the others before moving on. There was no way she was going to be alone in this house for any length of time.

15. - Top - End - #225

As Maria walks downstairs, Kyril briefly stops playing the harp. He watches the young mage pass by into the library.

To hell with you, folly - I shall prevail.
    You may be tied to me, but I remain
    The driver of this reckless horse carriage.
    Towards the cliff's edge do we travel? Then plunge
    Folly and fool, but the rest shall be safe;
    You and I shall die together, alone.

Kyril walks into the library, and finds Maria studying a scroll of some sort.

"Young mage, might you identify these scrolls?
    My own acumen is insufficient;
    My first attempt ended in raw failure,
    But I've no doubt in your great arcane skill."

He offers the scrolls he picked up earlier.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

It had been a long time since homage had been paid to Bahamut, but the sight of the babe laying still brought Salasar to his knees. Attempting an old prayer taught to him, he fumbled the words in the middle and added his own thoughts towards the end.

"Find peace little one, go into the great after and find support in the arms of the divine. Your existence, though brief to non-existent, holds enough horrors to pay your passage. Take delight in knowing death is coming to Strahd and his lackeys."

Standing up, he looks to Lucian and sees a fierce determination behind his eyes: burning with vengeance. Without exchanging words, the two nod in mutual agreement and move to an area with adequate space for training. Having only minimal experience sparring with knights, the defensive stance of Lucian continuously aggravates the dragonborn as his heavy swings are parried away, leaving him open to taunting pokes. Where Salasar sees Lucian easily avoiding his attacks, behind the shield Lucian strains to deflect the barbarous blade. Salasar doesn't notice this however, and internally condenses his anger at being out fought, to unleash his full fury upon the unfortunate soul who opposes him next.

Show
    Rolling for that health! (1d12+2)[7] or 7, whichever is higher.

At level 2 Barb gains: Relentless Attack and Danger Sense.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nestor listens to the clash of blades as the warriors test their strength for the trials to come. Seeing the wizard examining something, he asks, "Maria, what is it that you have there?"

18. - Top - End - #228

A scroll I came across in the library. It is a Find Familiar spell. I always wanted a pet., Maria said excitedly.

Maria takes the scrolls Kyril shows her and tries to decipher them as best she can.

Spoiler: Arcana Check
    Show
    (1d20+5)[22]

19. - Top - End - #229

As Maria analyses the scrolls, Kyril tries to strike up a conversation with Nestor.

"You sir, are a purveyor of beauty.
    Of art, of poetry, and deity.
    Your marked arms signify this great trade;
    The glory of Sune for all to see.
    But do tell me, poet of the divine:
    How is thy hand at the fair instruments?
    Can you make a harp vibrate with a song
    Or chill the air only with Pan's reed flute?
    Does your piano ring across the realms?
    How well does your musical prowess fare?"
    Last edited by puzzler7; 2017-09-27 at 02:37 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nestor ponders for a moment, then recites:
    "In the dwarven learning mansion
    Instructed in lyrical expansion
    They just taught us one verse
    Though it could have been worse
    They could have left out the scansion"

Erupting into a deep belly laugh, Nestor claps Kyril on the shoulder. "It's been quite a while since I attempted such as that. I wish I could play on all the instruments you bandy about. My art is more visual, though they say Sune's beauty touches all that is made with care and love, even that which is voiced. Here, let me show you an example of what I do."

Finding a surface nearby, Nestor pulls out his special quills and vials of ink, his scraping knife and his weight. Rummaging in his pack produces a scrap of parchment, on which he sets to work, with a few deft strokes defining the shape of a minuscule viol, then using finer brushes and more varied inks to fill in the details.
    Last edited by WMO?; 2017-09-28 at 02:43 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

The scrolls are of divine origin. The Dursts either have a cleric amongst their ranks or - more likely - a holy man owning a bunch of these parchments has met his untimely demise in their sacrifices to please the Dark Powers. You cannot tell which deity these prayers praise but they should work nonetheless.

Spoiler
    Show
    1x Protection from Poison
    1x Bless
    1x Spiritual Weapon

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Those will be quite useful! I'll hold onto them and cast them if we face a greater danger."

23. - Top - End - #233

BlueKnightGuy

Lucian strains to block the heavy blows from Salazar's sword work. Realizing he hadn't had an opponent of this skill level in quite a while. Smiling at that thought, Lucian concentrates on blocking the next blow.

Spoiler: Roll for Hit Points
    Show

(1d10+2)[11]

Looks good to me...I'll note this and what Lucian gains at 2nd lvl on his sheet.
    Last edited by Squadfather42; 2017-09-27 at 11:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234

Kyril winces a bit as he hears the poem, but gasps in wonder as he sees the viol spring to life. He runs his fingers just over the surface of the parchment as though he were plucking the strings, taking care not to smudge the ink.

"Ah, what wonder! As though I could play this viol
    Charm a great crowd or grant forced sleep with just parchment
    Your rhyme excels, while syllabication subpar
    But this art is naught but exquisitely designed
    Truly you are Beauty's cleric - the art is as music
    A lilting melody not for ears but for eyes."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nestor smiles, very pleased by Kyril's praise. "When I realized I'd come to a new land, that had not heard of my skill, I would not receive my due acclaim. Now I see we've come together so you can herald my art and your own to all those who hear your song!"

26. - Top - End - #236

"This must be one of the worse families I have ever encountered to sacrifice their own children and their priest to achieve their own ends. Is there any way to get to the attic? There must be some way of getting there."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

From where he is sitting, Kyran responds to Maria, "We found stairs up to the attic all right, but after that specter, we decided it would be best to rest first. No telling what we will find up there."

"In any case, I'm not sure they did either. It seems they sacrificed many, but I haven't seen an indication they sacrificed anything of their own, not yet anyways."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-09-29 at 11:21 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

As your brief break replenishes mind and body you cannot shake the growing feeling that you are watched. You have enough time to check for potential onlookers but nothing is there. Maria has been able to identify all magical scrolls in the library and even managed to find a way of reciting the Find Familiar spell as a ritual without using up the scroll. But getting the right runes from books as old as these are troubling her Everyone at least somewhat learned about magic finds this an incredible feat. She really is a child prodigy. With the aid of a proper scribe she could even cast a ritual to summon a familiar spirit that could retain a bit of its former human knowledge and be of help for the upcoming bits. You know enough of this realm that you know your spell cannot pierce the dimensional lock. But you can give a wandering spirit a physical body with your ritual. Maybe it knows more of this world, maybe you even aid it because spirits are said to be forced to roam the realm until they are able to reborn once again into this torment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nestor: Roll Dex (Calligrapher's Supplies) to inscribe the correct runes to allow her to cast the spell. (let's say DC 10)
    If Nestor succeeds you may ask the spirit questions about the house it may or may not know. It is likely you trap a haunting spirit in the familiar which was once a victim of the Dursts.

Meanwhile Lucian and Salasar spar. After a while the Dragonborn notices his advantage. He can almost tirelessly repeat his onslaught while Lucian gets sweaty, warm and tired in his armor, being warm-blooded. You find you both are equal, and in an ironic twist Salasar seems to be the one who can take more punishment while Lucian has to close out fights more quickly avoiding being damaged at all. If you play to your advantages you feel that you ease the healer's job remarkably.

Kyran seems to be calibrating his night googles. He hasn't needed them until now but you are delving ever deeper into the parts of the house that aren't properly lit not cared for. Seeing dangerous traps or simply architecture that cannot properly support your weight is crucial in the next few hours.

The bard seems to sober up a bit. This time he stays a bit more sane. As sane as a perpetually rhyming bard can appear at least. Whenever he takes breaks between songs and sonnets, he seems lost in thought.

Spoiler
    Show
    You are being watched as well. But your inner anxiety always watches you so you can tell it is an outside source. Not much different from a wild cat that prowls until it finds a suitable weakness or opportunity to strike. But it's not one pair of eyes. It's several. You wander the explored floors for some sort of relief but you'll only find that the further you advance the more eyes seem to look for you.

Are those the haunting spirits of this world? Are they a happy audience? Or are they the angry mob trying to drive off the doomsayer? Maybe none. Maybe both. You are just certain that you have an audience that you cannot see as well.

After Maria has finished her ritual you have nothing to go back to expect press onwards into the attic. You still have not found Rose and Thorn nor their parents. The library seems to indicate rituals but you haven't found anything remotely suitable for it. And Strahd's letter has told you about some sort of altar which you also have not seen. There is much to be found yet, and many more dangers to face.
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-09-30 at 10:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Let me get this written out in a way you can read it, Miss Maria."

Show
    Dexterity (Calligrapher's Tools): (1d20+2)[22]

30. - Top - End - #240

BlueKnightGuy

Lucian grins a weary grin at Salazar. "Thank you my friend, that seems to have been exactly what we needed. Come, let us rest for a few moments, before we continue on."
    Last edited by Squadfather42; 2017-09-30 at 05:10 PM.