New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside 46

1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 46

[In the Woods]

Batu's ears perk up. His curiosity is piqued and his awkwardness is further abated.

"Sounds like you can make a great many things. And some of them are magical."

Road Pirate Pit Stop

"That's strange," Fayyaad says. Assuming Erasmus shares the rest of the information with him, or he reads it himself, he adds: "This place isn't where I'd picture a magic artifact being hidden. And if he tortured a woman's ghost, maybe she just told him what he wanted to hear so he'd stop. Then again, appearances can be deceiving."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Orc in the Playground

Road Pirate Pit Stop

He didn't think it was here, nor that the Road Pirates had it. Just that there were clues as to where it was here.

On the subject, if this doesn't look like the place a magical artefact is hidden, wouldn't that make it the perfect place to hide one?

I don't actually have anything further to say right now, unless Fayyaad or Erasmus are interested in looking around the rest of the cabin, or indeed the other buildings on-site; the Club President revealed that an armoury is hidden in the girl's shower block, though breaking into it might not please the bikers. There's also the petrol station's main building, and a cave behind the waterfall in the canyon wall.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #723
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [In the Woods]

Batu's ears perk up. His curiosity is piqued and his awkwardness is further abated.

"Sounds like you can make a great many things. And some of them are magical."
    "Oh, well, no! Maybe?" Div flushes and finds excuses to look elsewhere. "I-I mean, I've never done anything ganderous or flashific like wizard magic. But I think the charms might help. Sometimes. With little things."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

Road Pirate Pitstop

Erasmus decides it might be best to search around some more. "Maybe 'e left more info in 'is room?" He goes to the bedroom, taking the book and pen with him.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #725
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Ruined Village

"One of the villagers here escaped, but I've had a soldier keeping an eye on him. He's gathering some forces to come attack me. Should be here today or tomorrow." Johnathan nods at something unseen, as if speaking silently to someone else. A hot air balloon, painted to blend in with the cloudy sky pops up from a ridge a short distance away.
    Ruined Village

"How unfortunate, but I'm sure you will beat him up." Arkant says. he lookes amused at the baloon. he himself isn't a man of the new technologie, but even the things they use here are to old for him.

"Is there anything you need my help?" He isn't offering much, but after all Jonathan's Soldir do something for him.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

[In the Woods]

Ganderous? Flashific? Those aren't words Batu has heard before. Odd, but charming.

"I'd be happy to get some, anyway. Then I can see if and how they work. And I'm sure they're nice to have anyway."

[Road Pirate Pit Stop]

Fayyaad opts to search the main building, after gathering all the necromancer's items to divide up later. He wonders if the bikers who hired MERC knew why the necromancer attacked.
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-04-25 at 07:47 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Troll in the Playground

Ruined Village

"There's a ritual I am trying to complete. I have all the ingredients I need except "shape without form." If you possess anything that qualifies, I would appreciate it. A single artillery shell streaks up from the ridge near the balloon and explodes at the edge of a nearby forest. "Test shot."

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #728
    Orc in the Playground

Road Pirate Pit Stop

The bedroom has also been trashed! Erasmus' invisible servant was shockingly quick, or maybe the place was already a mess. There's a large double bed, though the mattress has been pushed to the floor and the bed's sturdy oak frame has been attacked by an axe or sword in several places, looking for hidden compartments. None were found. The wardrobe hangs open, one door propped against a wall, all the clothes contributing to the mess on the floor. The back of the wardrobe has been shattered, revealing a safe hidden behind a false back; the safe is closed, probably locked, and bears scars from recent blows by a bladed implement. A chest of drawers with an old portable television on top has been emptied, adding spare bedsheets, spare towels and underwear to the chaos on the floor. The television's screen has been shattered and the case hacked open, the insides spilling out. A book case stands against the wall, oddly looking untouched amongst the mess. Lying in a heap across the shattered bed frame are a collection of bones, mostly human with some cattle ones mixed in, and topped by a shiny-new steel scimitar with a massive black stone set into the pommel and a small bear's skull.

Poking around the detritus on the floor will find shards from a broken mirror, enchanted to show reflections of the opposite gender. A hand-high copper figurine of a laughing girl, just entering her teens; Erasmus will feel happier just looking at it (because that's what it's enchanted to do). A box of shotgun shells, containing four birdshot, two slugs, three buckshot and a silver slug. A full silk tuxedo, scattered around; each component part enchanted so it doesn't crease, fits whomever puts it on and automatically cleans itself whenever it's taken off, and a matching bowler hat that will cause projectiles to veer away from the wearer. The safe's key isn't immediately visible, and can't be found on the floor.

The bookcase contains many strange and rare works, though most of it isn't magical or even necessarily interesting. First edition copies of classic science fiction novels, mostly, including Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, and H. P. Lovecraft. Also Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, and all the Discworld books. There's some exceptions- a guide to European birds, several dictionaries (including one in German) and a book about alchemy.

Fayyaad finds the petrol station has a small counter with an old-fashioned clockwork till of heavy iron and brass on it. Next to it is a bulky machine with space to place six orbs inside, marked as a 'Pocket PokeCentre'. There's two rows of aisles, one packed up heavily on snack food, batteries and other consumables, the other selling magazines, newspapers and books that bikers might be interested in. Quite a lot of the latter are adult magazines, and most are very old- the pit stop is well out of the way, and hard to get to. They don't get deliveries often, if at all. One of the more interesting magazines is called 'The Wasteland Survival Guide: Water Aerobics for Ghouls'; it looks hand-printed, with a crude, hand-drawn cover. There's four bodies in here; two dead bikers, one pile of bones and one dead resident. The bikers are wearing biker leathers, one being a female hybrid orc/elf and the other being a male dwarf. The dwarf has an axe at his waist, enchanted so it ignites when it gets blood on it, and the other has an AER9 laser pistol. The resident wears a striped apron over greasy yellow overalls, and they're human. He has the key to the till in his apron's pouch, along with a derringer. There's also a drinks cooler, with a lot of water, cans of beer and various colas in it, as well as healing potions.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

Road Pirate Pitstop

Erasmus looks around. The fragments of mirror confuse him. He's not sure what the purpose of such an item is. He picks up one of the fragments, glances at it to see if it still works, then puts it on his harness. He'll find a knowledgeable humanoid wizard to ask about the purpose of the mirror later. He then inspects the bookshelf. Erasmus is sorely tempted to take some of the older discworld books, but decides against it. He then searches the wardrobe and the chest of drawers to see what can be found in either, especially looking for the key to the safe.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

[Road Pirate Pit Stop]

Fayyaad opts to look through the magzine. The necromancer's writings said there are supposed to be clues to the necromantic artifact here... and it could mean just about anything. So he might as well start in unlikely places. And there seems to be little of interest in the petrol station otherwise.

11. - Top - End - #731

[In the Woods]

Ganderous? Flashific? Those aren't words Batu has heard before. Odd, but charming.

"I'd be happy to get some, anyway. Then I can see if and how they work. And I'm sure they're nice to have anyway."
    Div's ears flick, and he grins. "Very good then. Hmm. Let's see..."

Div starts to get a few things out of his pack, his eyes darting between Batu and his collection. He takes a knife to what looks like a small piece of bone or stone, applies some paint, and mutters a few verses of some chant over the object in a soft voice.

What he finally hands Batu resembles the eggshell-white tooth of a crocodile or some other titan lizard. It is painted with the image of an eye peering out from beneath a rushing river. The wavering lines to represent the water have been carved carefully into the object, and Div has punched a hole through the top of the tooth. Through this he threads a red string.

He passes a hand over it one more time as it rests in his palm, and speaks a single pair of syllables. "Shi'ka," he extends it toward Batu. Blushing, but still smiling just slightly, without showing his teeth. "For you."

If Batu lets Div, he'll put it on over the hob's head. He has to get up closer and kneel in front of him to do so. "May you remain fierce in your purpose, and safe in your travels watched over by the Sivn-Galláe, the spirits of the realm beneath the river." He settles the charm down, and laughs, blushing. "I am supposed to kiss your head now, to complete the ritual. The forest witches do so. I can probably skip that part though."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2018-04-26 at 06:49 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

12. - Top - End - #732

Ruined Village

"There's a ritual I am trying to complete. I have all the ingredients I need except "shape without form." If you possess anything that qualifies, I would appreciate it. A single artillery shell streaks up from the ridge near the balloon and explodes at the edge of a nearby forest. "Test shot."
    Ruined Village

((I'm not sure I get things right, because I think translation looses it. So I take it by word.))

"I think I have something that can fit." Arkant ssays, obviously ignoring the artillery, thought he does increase his devensive magic and prepares for a teleport.
    "Latly I got an experiment with blobs. Those have no form, but can take any shape, if you understand what I mean."

13. - Top - End - #733
    Troll in the Playground

Ruined Village

"Hmm. That should work. When could you deliver such a blob to me?"

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #734
    Orc in the Playground

Road Pirate Pit Stop

Mostly the mirror is to confuse people who find it. But the pieces do still have the effect working on them- which is unusual. Most items of mine lose their power when destroyed. The key is underneath the shattered television. It's a tiny little portable one, easy enough to move, though the necromancer didn't think to do it.

Inside, the safe is bigger than it should be- it extends pretty far. There's three maps, two of the canyon area and one of a dense forest, all showing a different pit stop like this one. An ornate, flintlock rifle with ivory inlaid into a polished teak stock and fine brass furniture, plus enough peripheral gunpowder, lead bullets and wadding for fifteen shots; the rifle is enchanted to add magical force to each shot and to never misfire- no flashes in the pan, and each bullet as effective as it had been fired from a more modern firearm. A jewellery box, containing a white jade ring, a pair of delicate platinum fish-shaped earrings, a gold ring shaped like a snake eating its own tail, and a lump of stone imbued with energy. A silver telescope in a black leather case. A ram's horn made of red jasper, which keeps the holder warm. And a statue of a naked lady dancing with a snake; the snake is black marble, the lady white, and it's all one solid lump of stone.

Fayyaad will find the magazine quite informative. It has a number of useful tips and hints about swimming, and also gives some advice on how to detect and monitor contaminants in water that may harm a swimmer. If he couldn't swim before, it offers enough advice to get him started, and if he could, it might help him swim faster. Unfortunately, all of the other magazines are about naked ladies, large bikes, or naked ladies riding large bikes.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Troll in the Playground

Road Pirate Pitstop

For anatomical reasons, Erasmus can't use rifles, so he doesn't take anything from the safe. He closes it, locks it again, and goes out to check the other rooms.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

[Road Pirate Pit Stop]

This might be useful if Fayyaad ever finds himself having to survive in a wasteland, but for now it's not terribly relevant to his situation. He leaves the petrol station and heads towards the waterfall cave.

[In the Woods]

Batu swallows. This got from interesting to awkward again really quickly. It's giving him whiplash. But he soldiers on bravely.

"That... shouldn't be necessary, no," he manages. "That was... not unlike what shamans of my tribe did. They also crafted charms and asked spirits to watch over those wearing them. Though there was a lot more chanting... I think they also did some drugs."

17. - Top - End - #737

Ruined Village

"Hmm. That should work. When could you deliver such a blob to me?"
    Ruined Village

"Anytime I would say." Arkant replies. " I can bring it the next time I visite you. If I had a reason to come back quick it would be even faster."

18. - Top - End - #738
    Orc in the Playground

Road Pirate Pit Stop

The main room is pretty boring. It's trashed, yes, but there's not much of interest. There's a burnt sofa, the large TV and a kitchenette. The kitchenette has a fridge, with a wide open door and showing... Not too much food. The cabinets are all open, with pots, pans, tinned food and bottled water strewn about. The larder is locked, but the key's not hidden; inside it's very neat, and filled with more tinned food, plus bags of flour, sugar, coffee and tea. The spare bedroom Fayyaad went through, and is trashed, but nobody stayed there for long, so it doesn't have anywhere near as much personality or special items as the main bedroom. The bathroom is likewise a mess; the toilet has been shattered and water (fortunately, just water) coats the tiles, and soaks into the heaped flannels, towels and dressing-gowns scattered about. There's soap as well.

About the only things of major interest are a magic flip lighter in the pocket of the tiefling corpse, one which produces a flame using a magic crystal rather than lighter fluid; a switchblade under the sofa, enchanted so it binds itself to somebody and can then be teleported to the hand of the person to whom it is bound; and a small onyx lizard in the larder that keeps vermin away.

To get to the cave, Fayyaad walks through the waterfall. He is now wet. The cave itself is a pretty standard limestone hole in the cliff, lit by a mix of sunlight through the waterfall and glowing moss on the damper rocks near the pool. Some of the water from the waterfall flows into the cave, trickling to a narrow crack in the wall, though the crack looks big enough for the average human to squeeze through it- it twists a little, so from this part of the cave, it's impossible to tell where- if anywhere- it leads. There's also a crude fence towards the back made of sheets of corrugated iron, with a flimsy door allowing access.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

Road Pirate Pitstop

Erasmus takes the switchblade and heads out to the waterfall cave.

Ruined Village
    "There has to be a faster way. Maybe. Try concentrating on one of these blobs. I could read your surface thoughts and try to conjure one." Johnathan looks Arkant directly in the eyes.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-04-28 at 04:21 PM.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

[Road Pirate Pit Stop]

Fayyaad is standing there and considering where to go when Erasmus catches up to him.

"Quite a cave they've got here," he says. "And there's more to it. Our job here is done, with the necromancer dead... but I am curious as to what he was searching for here."

21. - Top - End - #741
    Orc in the Playground

Road Pirate Pit Stop

There's nothing of interest in this first chamber, except the crack leading to darkness and the door in the crude wall. Light is escaping around the edges of the doorway, so there's something behind it.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Road Pirate Pitstop

"We should go check it out. This sword of lost 'ope sounds like a powerful artefact, maybe an evil one." Erasmus opens the door.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #743

[In the Woods]

Batu swallows. This got from interesting to awkward again really quickly. It's giving him whiplash. But he soldiers on bravely.

"That... shouldn't be necessary, no," he manages. "That was... not unlike what shamans of my tribe did. They also crafted charms and asked spirits to watch over those wearing them. Though there was a lot more chanting... I think they also did some drugs."
    "Drugs? Oh, my," Div blushes, and then after considering it more plainly, laughs once again in his disarming way. "I have never found that necessary. But I hope it is as helpful as your shamans charms!"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #744

Road Pirate Pitstop

Erasmus takes the switchblade and heads out to the waterfall cave.

Ruined Village
    "There has to be a faster way. Maybe. Try concentrating on one of these blobs. I could read your surface thoughts and try to conjure one." Johnathan looks Arkant directly in the eyes.
    Ruined Village

Arkant smiles as he hears the reaction of the undead. With every second he gets a wider smile and then suddendly he breaks out in a hideouse laugther. This will need a bit befor he can catch himself.

"I'm sorry, but this was just to amusing." he says. "The fact that you could read my mind is just so unbelivable." He shakes a way the smile as he speaks on.
    "And I think you didn't get what I said. Right now YOU owe ME a favor. I have brought you an enemy for your amusement. So tell me why should I bring you something else without getting something in exchange?"

Should Johnathan try to read the surface of Arkants mind he will read something like this. He will see pictures of hazelnut, on a tree, in a tree and in a hole, while also thinking about how to hide them. Strange thinking i would say, but in fact Arkant just redirects mind reading to a nearby sapient creature. A squirrel in this case.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

[Road Pirate Pit Stop]

"Yes, I agree. This isn't the kind of item that should be laying around for someone like that necromancer to find." He doesn't trust those bikers with something like that, either. "Let's start with that door." He moves over to try and open the flimsy door.

[In the Woods]

"To be honest, I don't know if they needed it, or just liked to get hopped up," Batu half-jokes. Ingesting mind-altering substances does help them commune with spirits and astral echoes, but Batu doesn't know as much about it as he'd like. "And I've never actually used any of the shamans' charms. But I'll be happy to try out yours. If nothing else, it looks fetching."

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

Ruined Village

"I am no fool, and you are no altruist. You have something to gain from that particular target. Perhaps you are trying to distract someone from your own activities, or maybe you will turn against my forces to raise your own reputation. Either way, I am providing you a service." Johnathan's voice cuts through the air like a scythe.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #747
    Orc in the Playground

Road Pirate Pit Stop

Beyond the crude fence is a small office-like space, with more bare rock walls, floor and ceiling. It's lit by a glowing head-sized faceted crystal held by a statue of a naked, hermaphroditic angel, carved from polished dark grey haematite. It's also clearly the most valuable item in the room. The other furniture is a battered oak desk, missing one of its drawers, with deep scratches and damage to the surface. There's a battered office swizzle chair, with a crude stitch in the padding to repair a rip. A rusty steel three-drawer filing cabinet leans against the wall, all as flat as it possibly can be, given the circumstances. On the wall is a poster of a large monowheel, like that ridden by the club president when she went to MERC. On the desk is an audiograph player, with one of the punch-cards inserted into the device. Three more are stacked haphazardly next to it, and more are in the bottom drawer of the filing cabinet.

28. - Top - End - #748

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    Sadly, Damon does not have much sympathy for the constructs. There's a notable hiss of discontent at the suggestion that he should shift into a demonic form. His distaste for demonic kind extends to the point that he only resorts to such transformations when he really has to. "If I musst, I ssupossse."

His shadowy form distorts and extends as he grows in size, taking on the form of a grotesque, oversized gargoyle-like creature with long arms ending in vicious claws and a vicious maw layered with teeth. He keeps most of the details hidden away by wreathing himself in black flame once more though. All the better to keep others from seeing himself like this.
    [Mountain Temple]

"Excellent. Now hold on..." The construct turns to the others who finally have managed to patch together the torn map again. They carry it over it to Damon and then quickly back away once he has accepted it.

"Perfect. Let me just consider the coordinates and we will never see one another again." Then Damon will be gated to Seaside.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Troll in the Playground

Post Re: Outside 46

Road Pirate Pitstop

Erasmus doesn't see anything he should immediately look into, so he lets Fayaad search first.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-04-29 at 08:39 PM.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #750

Ruined Village

"I am no fool, and you are no altruist. You have something to gain from that particular target. Perhaps you are trying to distract someone from your own activities, or maybe you will turn against my forces to raise your own reputation. Either way, I am providing you a service." Johnathan's voice cuts through the air like a scythe.
    Ruined Village

"Those are some seriouse accusations." Arkant replies in a normal voice. "Then we can say we are even? If I get anything or not can't be said now, since i don't know much about your army."