New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1472

Thread: Outside 46

1. - Top - End - #1381
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 46

[Dragon Mountain]

Still a little way ahead of the others to avoid the worst of that flare's light, Damon lets out a warning hiss and flattens himself against the nearest tree. There's no point really being subtle when the rest of the group has a big ol' flare lighting them up. "Up above usss. Ssomething'ss moving."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    Clearing

"It is how I, and all others of my country seek our way in life. In keeping with the Path, even the simplest of man can achieve something divine." Though her words are not laced with any sort of magic, her words have a sort of weight to them, as an ideal to aspire to. "It is different for everyone. Our Path is revealed to us through meditation on the past, the present, and what the future may hold."
    Murasaki listens with clear interest, leaning forward ever so slightly as she affixes Keiko with an astute look. Her eyebrows raised as she took in the simple explanation. "Interesting, it sounds much simpler than the code that warriors of my land follow - tenets of honor and discipline, righteousness and respect. Ancestry is also revered, though I presume that is not the sort of past you speak of?" This focus on reflection intrigued her greatly - it was something entirely different from what she had known, a code that guided rather than instructed one on how to find their own guide.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ogre in the Playground

[Neon Facility]

Don’t be silly, fireteam members share exp, along with separated loot. Otherwise it wouldn’t be fair.
    ”Well, looks like you did pretty well for yourself, little lady. If you’ve been here before, where to next?” he asks her genially.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Mysterious Meteorite

"The nations of the world hear my call, and their men are given over to my clutches. To some, I promise a future, to others power and glory, but to all, I bring only death. I control the soldier in life and in death. I am War." War doesn't seem impressed by the lich's pronouncements or his zombies.
    Rather than immediately respond to the figure upon the horse, Malkeizathek turns back towards the crater-cesspool of radioactive waste, raising his skeletal, rune-carved arms up into the air once more. After a moment or two of intense chanting, the nauseating heap of undead flesh currently becoming rapidly digested by the small lake of filth within the crater begins to rise up into the air, dripping noxious gore as it becomes elevated. The parts begin to form vague shapes, assembling themselves into enormous fleshy, tumor-ridden mounds upon spindly, spider-like legs.

The plague-spewing globules are set down across the region as the lich continues his work, powerful legs digging into the moist, cursed soil the instant its heaping bulk meets the ground. Immediately, the repulsive mounds begin to leech life energy from the land itself, transforming it into necromantic filth which is then allowed to belch forth into the poisonous air or expulsed as seepage into the ground, polluting all that it comes into contact with. This process continues for some time, while all the while the borders of the irradiated wasteland continue to expand at an extraordinary rate.

Finally, once the last of the globules is formed out of the crater, the lich lowers himself down to the corrupted ground again. As he strides towards a particular area, his robes flutter and whirl, pulled taut from time to time as if the spellcaster was mounted upon dozens of legs desperately scuttling within the robe. With a blank expression upon his skeletal face, Malkeizathek wills into existence his starmetal spear, drawing a runic circle in the swampish soil. Once he's finished, the circle itself begins to radiate a wicked greenish energy, a clear sign that the ritual was nearing completion.

Solemnly, the lich tore a tooth free of his skull, ritualistically tossing it into the circle before tapping his staff against the ground.

--

Several seconds pass before the tooth itself appears to expand at an alarming rate, rapidly transforming into an enormous, fleshy spire crafted of four steaming pillars of stained tooth and muculent tumor, welded and joined together via thick strands of undulating sinew.

The lich gestures toward the entrance, a massive sphincter-like slab.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Neon Facility]

"I've been down here lots!" Khannie insists. "I've been training and stuff. And collecting cool things! Like this!"

She shoves a dead goblin off the top of a box and begins rummaging around inside before coming up with-

-a pulse rifle!

She points it at the wall and PEW!

It launches a little flashing projectile that moves about as quickly as a lazily tossed softball. Upon colliding with the wall, the orb vanishes with a sizzling pop and a whiff of ozone.

"Isn't it COOL!?" she asks, a wide smile plastered on her face. She's just so pleased with herself! This random adult is telling her that she did a good job! "I don't think it works right, but it's neat as heck," she says as she tosses it back into its foam-lined storage crate rather carelessly. "I've already carried out some of the cooler stuff and hid it in these boxes, but I bet the COOLEST stuff is at the very bottom of the place behind the boss. That's how dungeons work, y'know."

She shoves some more boxes out of the way, revealing another hole smashed through the wall. The edges have been melted smooth, probably because the alternative would be hazardously jagged pointy bits. Unfortunately, the hole is so small that even Khannie would have trouble squeezing through. "There's this big weird skeleton robot dinosaur thing in the next room over, he's really tough."

She gestures for Morne to peek through the hole. Should he do so, he'll find that Khannie's description is pretty spot-on.

Stomping back and forth across the chamber on the other side is a hulking... thing... that looks like a bigger, meaner, more reptilian goblin. The hole of its torso is rather lacking in the synthetic flesh department, giving a good view of the metallic bones and plastic organs inside.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2018-10-06 at 10:49 AM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #1386

Bunker

Faudre tests her balance as she stands from the bunk, quite uncovered by the blanket. "I thank you for treating my wounds." Her eyebrows knit together at the mention of a kiss. They're really set on that. "I do not require it, no. Any supplies you can spare will be welcome, however. I am separated from my tribe and have little."

Clearing

"We can learn much from our ancestors, but it does not do to revere them, I feel. We must learn from and reflect on their mistakes as well as their triumphs," Keiko says. "There are those who speak of what you speak of, but I feel it isn't necessary to teach. With the right upbringing, one will already know to act with discipline and respect in their life. It hardly needs to be carved in stone, if you'll forgive my turn of phrase. And besides, our nation lies in land that is... not the most bountiful. If we do not work together, we surely will not survive."

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Orc in the Playground

Bunker

It's a staple of everything they know of knights, dragons and princesses! Dragons are slain by knights for the reward of a kiss by a princess. "We has food, water, guns, bullets, arrows. Not much meds, nor swords. Dragon fed deer. What need?" They'll give Faudre as much as she needs of food, water, bullets and arrows, and her pick of guns if she wants one. 'Guns' includes rifles, shotguns, pistols, bows, and crossbows- many of the latter made from broken rifles. They'll also offer knives; kitchen knives, combat knives, hunting knives and simple spikes made from salvaged metal.

Irradiated Wastelands

There's an arrival here. An elf-lady, young though hard to age, with deep green skin and long hair the orange-gold of autumnal leaves. Her irises are black, fusing seamlessly into her pupils. Tattooed on the left side of her face and creeping down her neck is a pattern of spiky leaves and thorny vines, curling up her throat, spiralling on her cheek and wrapping around her eye. She's wearing a simple green gown and leather walking-boots, with a rucksack slung over her back, from which hangs a set of steel manacles. She's armed with a hand-crossbow holstered at her waist, opposite a short sabre.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ogre in the Playground

[Irradiated Wastelands]

For most, stepping through the thin membrane of the putrescent dome which covers the entirety of the irradiated wasteland would result in a quick and agonizing death due to the unholy combination of severe radiation, supernaturally swift plague, and toxic gasses, to say nothing of the horrific, mutated undead which roam the cursed region. However, having recieved a unique protective spell within a vision of a violent, green comet, the elf woman will find herself able to harmlessly breathe in the nauseating atmosphere, seemingly immune to its effects.

--

The geography of the wasteland is a sickening, flexible thing, where the features of the land are known to shift in front of the viewer's eyes like the flesh of some nauseating, bubbling tumour. This fluidity of form grows worse the closer one gets to the ominous spire at the center of this region. There, the vile corruption which flows through the region is strongest, and all manner of plague-warped monstrosities pour forth unabated from the depths of the mysterious craters which surround the spire.

Enormous masses of loathsome cartilage riddled with oozing holes lurch out of the moistened soil like gruesome trees, while tainted grasses mingle with long hairs which appear to grow out of spots where the ground itself has seemingly transformed into diseased flesh. Sickening green specks of enlarged bacteria float hrough the air, supped upon by slithering masses of toxic sludge which heave and prowl the shattered canyons of the region, overseen by revolting swarms of undead ravens, while all the while, plague-globules belch forth toxic gasses.

Rainfall and snowfall are common in the wasteland, yet even these sources of water appear dangerous to drink, ripe with disease and irradiated dust. The rain which falls appears to be oddly colored (sometimes looking like blood, mucus, or fouler bodily fluids), but even when the rain appears normal it smells wrong. The stink of rotting flesh, rusting metal, and decaying plant matter often suffuses the sickly precipitation, and the water itself, if gathered, can cause sickness as surely as drinking from a tainted river or polluted pool.

The vile snow which falls in confusing patterns and patches despite the humidity and heat of the region is likewise fouled, with the flakes being gray or pale red or filthy yellow, but even when they’re white, they feels oily to the touch , and when the flakes melt, it only starts to look and feel worse.

--

After crossing a vast expanse of moistened marshlands punctuated by sulfurous hot springs, the elf will find herself wandering through a swampish mire flanked by a nauseating river which has long since succumbed to pollution. Sickening chunks of fleshy, fungal-infested material float through the stagnant river, guided by a warm wind which carries with it the stench of rot and decay.

Past the river, the ruins of an abandoned town can be seen, almost entirely claimed by fungal vines and disgusting, brightly-colored buds. Shambling mounds of fungal matter stagger through the grime-splattered roads accompanied by plague giants composed of hundreds of corpses whose flesh bursts and pops from time to time, all of which ignore the elf as if she simply was not there at all.

Finally, the spire itself is reached.

--

The spire appears as an enormous, fleshy tower that somewhat resembles four crooked spines bolted together, crafted of four steaming pillars of stained tooth and muculent tumor, welded and joined together via thick strands of undulating sinew.

The entrance remains closed, a massive sphincter-like slab which leaks a nauseating broth upon the many tall, moist steps to the bone-landing.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2018-10-06 at 05:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Orc in the Playground

Irradiated Wastelands

The elf-woman shudders at the terrain around her, but continues on regardless, driven by her dreams and desire to learn magic forbidden by her people. She's already an exile for breaking an important law, so it's not like there's any further punishment for her.

She stops at the door and knocks, a little uncertainly, before knocking again, harder and with more confidence. This place is creeping her out a lot.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ogre in the Playground

[Neon Facility]

Morne tilts his head.
    "That looks a little unsafe. But...just be careful with lost tech, okay?"
    And then hole!
    "Could probably shoot him from here, but I don't really like cheesing bosses. How do we get in there the right way?" he asks Khannie as he stands up and dusts off his coat-tails.

11. - Top - End - #1391

[Neon Facility]

"It's probably a whole bunch unsafe," Khannie replies. "For blasting people and stuff. But I don't like blasting that much, it just looks cool."

But not nearly as cool as her dad's gun that shoots those magic dart things. THAT gun is super-cool.

"I think you're supposed to go around that way," Khannie says, pointing at some nearby blast doors. The normally flashing neon panels on its surface are all dead and dark, suggesting that it doesn't have power currently. "I think I was supposed to solve a puzzle or something to turn it on and then fight the lizard skeleton thing head-on, but I just made a hole in the wall to that catwalk on the other side and then jumped on him from above."

What a cheater.

Khannie is totally a cheater.

"Is that wrong? Should I have looked for a way to turn on the big door thing instead?"

She's asking you, the designated grownup, for advice Morne. Better make sure to steer her in the right direction.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Troll in the Playground

Mysterious Meteorite

"And the men of war stand idly by, as rotting flowers of death bloom 'neath sickly sky," War continues. "Poetic, isn't it."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mysterious Meteorite - Earlier]

As the plague continues to spread and the surrounding region continues to rapidly transform into the lich's flesh-kingdom, Malkeizathek strides towards the fleshy slab at the top of the landing, the only entrance into the spire-proper. Once he approaches the slab, the lich performs a number of complicated necromantic incantations before pressing into the flesh at various spots.

Once complete, the sphincter-door opens, vile fluids dripping and leaking forth. The lich glances back, muttering softly.

[Irradiated Wasteland - Spire]

Knocking upon the fleshy slab at the top of the landing is a gruesome and uncomfortable prospect, for the elf's knuckles will sink into the moistened flesh-door unnervingly easily, up until the protective magics infusing the flesh blocks further exploration several inches deep. After several seconds, the elf will receive yet another vision, one which will grand her the knowledge necessary to bypass the door.

Should she perform the number of complicated necromantic incantations required, the sphincter-door opens, vile fluids dripping and leaking forth.

--

While the outside of the spire is primarily composed of tumor-flesh supported by bone and cartilage, the inside appears to be crafted of blackened bone, illuminated by magical green lights. Much of the tower appears to be full of flesh-shelves filled with hundreds of thousands of tomes, many of which are locked via chains or more esoteric protections, as well as a number of curious experiments and displays.

A winding spiral staircase crafted of reinforced bone allows for access to the highest sections of the tower.

[Ralton Falls]

The instant Anulhi whispers several incantations, the pair will find themselves suddenly upon a small hill in the valley, lying upon their backs. No trees are in sight, and the town itself can be seen a mile or so away. Dozens of forms can be detected even from this distance, but most intriguingly, a white tent previously hidden by the natural curve of the region can be seen.

It appears to be situated several minutes outside of the town.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2018-10-07 at 12:43 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1394

Irradiated Wasteland

This is the place huh?

They look down at their arms, hugging their big down coat to their torso, before peering back up at the dome.

Nothing else for it.

They scuttle forwards, each leg scrabbling across the rocky plain toward the dome, holding their breath as they walk through. Quick check. Arms, fine. Torso, fine. Abdomen, fine. Legs, all fine. They open all of their eyes, peering at the tower through the muck.

This drider had a long walk ahead of them.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ogre in the Playground

[Irradiated Wasteland - Pilgrimage]

For most, stepping through the thin membrane of the putrescent dome which covers the entirety of the irradiated wasteland would result in a quick and agonizing death due to the unholy combination of severe radiation, supernaturally swift plague, and toxic gasses, to say nothing of the horrific, mutated undead which roam the cursed region. However, having received a unique protective spell within a vision of a violent, green comet, the androgynous drider will find themself able to harmlessly breathe in the nauseating atmosphere, seemingly immune to its effects.

--

The geography of the wasteland is a sickening, flexible thing, where the features of the land are known to shift in front of the viewer's eyes like the flesh of some nauseating, bubbling tumor. This fluidity of form grows worse the closer they get to the ominous spire at the center of this region. There, the vile corruption which flows through the region is strongest, and all manner of plague-warped monstrosities pour forth unabated from the depths of the mysterious craters which surround the spire.

Enormous masses of loathsome cartilage riddled with oozing holes lurch out of the moistened soil like gruesome trees, while tainted grasses mingle with long hairs which appear to grow out of spots where the ground itself has seemingly transformed into diseased flesh. Sickening green specks of enlarged bacteria float through the air, supped upon by slithering masses of toxic sludge which heave and prowl the shattered canyons of the region, overseen by revolting swarms of undead ravens, while all the while, plague-globules belch forth toxic gasses.

Rainfall and snowfall accompany the drider during their pilgrimage, yet even these sources of water appear dangerous to drink, ripe with disease and irradiated dust. The rain which falls appears to be oddly colored (sometimes looking like blood, mucus, or fouler bodily fluids), but even when the rain appears normal it smells wrong. The stink of rotting flesh, rusting metal, and decaying plant matter often suffuses the sickly precipitation, and the water itself, if gathered, can cause sickness as surely as drinking from a tainted river or polluted pool.

The vile snow which falls in confusing patterns and patches despite the humidity and heat of the region is likewise fouled, with the flakes being gray or pale red or filthy yellow, but even when they’re white, they feels oily to the touch , and when the flakes melt, it only starts to look and feel worse.

--

After crossing a vast expanse of moistened marshlands punctuated by sulfurous hot springs, the drider will find themself wandering through a swampish mire flanked by a nauseating river which has long since succumbed to pollution. Sickening chunks of fleshy, fungal-infested material float through the stagnant river, guided by a warm wind which carries with it the stench of rot and decay.

Past the river, the ruins of an abandoned town can be seen, almost entirely claimed by fungal vines and disgusting, brightly-colored buds. Shambling mounds of fungal matter stagger through the grime-splattered roads accompanied by plague giants composed of hundreds of corpses whose flesh bursts and pops from time to time, all of which ignore the drider as if they simply were not there at all.

Finally, the spire itself is reached.

--

The spire appears as an enormous, fleshy tower that somewhat resembles four crooked spines bolted together, crafted of four steaming pillars of stained tooth and muculent tumor, welded and joined together via thick strands of undulating sinew.

The entrance remains closed, a massive sphincter-like slab which leaks a nauseating broth upon the many tall, moist steps to the bone-landing.

16. - Top - End - #1396

Irradiated Wasteland - Pilgrimage

This was a mistake. They should have... they should have ignored it. Found something else. VIGIL has a guy that teaches sword fighting right? They could... they could sword fight all the demons...

No.

No this would have to do.

They raise their hand, gingerly prodding the door.

H-hello? They call out.

Show

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Ogre in the Playground

Prodding at the fleshy slab at the top of the landing is a gruesome and uncomfortable prospect, for the drider's fingers will sink into the moistened flesh-door unnervingly easily, up until the protective magics infusing the flesh blocks further exploration several inches deep. After several seconds, the drider will receive yet another vision, one which will grand them the knowledge necessary to bypass the door.

Should they perform the number of complicated necromantic incantations required, the sphincter-door opens, vile fluids dripping and leaking forth.

--

While the outside of the spire is primarily composed of tumor-flesh supported by bone and cartilage, the inside appears to be crafted of blackened bone, illuminated by magical green lights. Much of the tower appears to be full of flesh-shelves filled with hundreds of thousands of tomes, many of which are locked via chains or more esoteric protections, as well as a number of curious experiments and displays.

A winding spiral staircase crafted of reinforced bone allows for access to the highest sections of the tower.

18. - Top - End - #1398

Irradiated Wasteland - Spire2

Oh, wow, jeez. They say, reeling slightly from the vision. Okay, it goes... They'll perform the requisite incantations, shuddering a little as the magic opens the door. Alright, no going back now I guess. They say, heading inside. They give the books a cursory inspection before heading upwards. No point delaying things.

Show

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Ogre in the Playground

The instant that the drider steps inside, the fleshy sphincter-door clinches shut, leaving them alone within the extraordinarily expansive first floor. The tower innards, crafted of bone and carved with occult runes, seem to stretch on forever in all directions, far too large for any practical purpose.

The climb itself takes over an hour, passing across hundreds of arcane laboratories, libraries, and oddities.

--

Finally, they will come across a final door, this one appearing much like the entrance. Beyond the slab, powerful magics can be detected, the likes of which may prove somewhat unnerving.

20. - Top - End - #1400

Irradiated Wasteland - Spire

The drider gets increasingly nervous as they ascend the tower, low murmuring train of thought accompanying them as they go.

Oh gods I shouldn't have come, I should leave this to the professionals, they could have sorted it out right? Then why were they talking to them? No, no I must have... it must have been wrong, no way they negotiate...

By the time they finally reach the final door they're a bundle of nerves, one hand lodged firmly in the pocket of their jacket, clenching the old revolver there with all her strength. The other hand shakily moves to... knock? They press their hand against this door just like they did the entrance, fighting desperately against the sick feeling they were getting from whatever was behind the door.

Show

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Orc in the Playground

Irradiated Wasteland- The Spire 1

The elf grimaces at the muscular slime-goo she's got over her hand, but after the vision, she focuses on the information she's just been given and casts the spells to open the door. Unlike the drider, she doesn't flinch at the magic she must perform to go further; she'll do whatever it takes to get inside, or so she tells herself, and the spells didn't require much of her. A slight sacrifice of sanity, perhaps, but not enough that she notices.

The elf climbs the staircase, wiping her hand on her dress absent-mindedly and drawing her sabre, in case she's attacked as a further test or something goes awry. She looks with interest at the experiments and displays, curious and interested in a macabre way.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    [Ralton Falls]

The instant Anulhi whispers several incantations, the pair will find themselves suddenly upon a small hill in the valley, lying upon their backs. No trees are in sight, and the town itself can be seen a mile or so away. Dozens of forms can be detected even from this distance, but most intriguingly, a white tent previously hidden by the natural curve of the region can be seen.

It appears to be situated several minutes outside of the town.
    [Ralton Falls]

As they appear on the hill, Anika instantly turns to look around and stops, narrowing her eyes as she spots the town. "Okay... I should probably take a closer look as a hawk. I'll be right back!" And before Anulhi can protest, the druid has turned into red feathered hawk and taken flight, heading straight towards the town.
    She's especially curious in that tent...

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ogre in the Playground

[Irradiated Wasteland - The Sanctum of Dust]

Like the entrance, the sphincter-slab quivers before opening at the drider's touch, revealing an expansive chamber which appears even larger than the previous floors due to its unique architecture. Unlike the other floors, which are split into four uniform sectors, this final floor possesses very little in the way of organization. The walls here are composed of glittering onyx plates set into flesh and bone, the darkened material seemingly absorbing the violent green light which illuminates the chamber, reflecting it in strange and unnerving ways, sometimes forming writhing shapes out of the corner of the drider's eyes.

The floor itself is covered in an ominous gray powder which the drider may recognize as eerily similar to the coloration and texture of ground bone ash, the kind often utilized in the most dangerous of necromantic rituals and incantations. Enormous white bacteria float harmlessly through the air here, and the sanctum's onyx wall-platings have been carved with runic symbols designed to increase the power of certain schools of magic within the sanctum. At the center of it all, barely visible from the door, an enormous onyx monolith rises up, piercing the ceiling, serving as the needle-top of the sickening spire.

A lone figure looms ahead, facing it.

--

After several moments spent striding towards the monolith, the hulking figure raises a skeletal hand, gemstones twinkling in the dim light. His voice is eerily quiet, little more than a whisper, yet it echoes a thousand times throughout the chamber, supernaturally magnified.

[Irradiated Wasteland- The Spire, Elf]

The instant that the elf steps inside, the fleshy sphincter-door clinches shut, leaving her alone within the extraordinarily expansive first floor. The tower innards, crafted of bone and carved with occult runes, seem to stretch on forever in all directions, far too large for any practical purpose.

The climb itself takes over an hour, passing across hundreds of arcane laboratories, libraries, and oddities.

--

Finally, she will come across a final door, this one appearing much like the entrance. Beyond the slab, powerful magics can be detected, the likes of which may prove somewhat unnerving.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2018-10-07 at 12:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Orc in the Playground

Irradiated Wasteland- The Spire, Elf

She manages to avoid getting distracted by any of the laboratories, libraries and other esoteric chambers in her climb, driven upwards by her ambition and dreams.

She walks to the final door and knocks, prepared to re-cast the spells she used to bypass the first door- assuming she still remembers them and the magics haven't been removed from her mind now she no longer needs them. She still has her sabre out, but she's holding it down, loose in her hand, not really ready to use it.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Neon Facility]

"It's probably a whole bunch unsafe," Khannie replies. "For blasting people and stuff. But I don't like blasting that much, it just looks cool."

But not nearly as cool as her dad's gun that shoots those magic dart things. THAT gun is super-cool.

"I think you're supposed to go around that way," Khannie says, pointing at some nearby blast doors. The normally flashing neon panels on its surface are all dead and dark, suggesting that it doesn't have power currently. "I think I was supposed to solve a puzzle or something to turn it on and then fight the lizard skeleton thing head-on, but I just made a hole in the wall to that catwalk on the other side and then jumped on him from above."

What a cheater.

Khannie is totally a cheater.

"Is that wrong? Should I have looked for a way to turn on the big door thing instead?"

She's asking you, the designated grownup, for advice Morne. Better make sure to steer her in the right direction.

[Neon Facility]

"Well, the problem with wantonly punching holes to bosses is that if you hit one of the supports in the wall you could destabilize the whole place and bring the ceiling down on your heads.

Also the problem here is that the hole's not big enough for me. And you never leave a member of the fireteam behind, you hear?
    Morne asks, dead serious. No one ever wants to end up sole survivor because they split the party.
    Never split the party.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

[Dragon Mountain]

The deeper subtleties of the cave's magic escape Cass - she'd need a much more powerful, and noticeable, exertion of magic in order to detect that. The difference between the ambient elemental power of the cave and the more recent sorceries stand out as stark as night and day, however.

"Careful. One of those who came before was a mage." She says.

She'll look up at her companion's warning, squinting to try and filter out the harsh light of the flare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

[Dragon Mountain]

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Marshall doesn't seem to notice the thing slithering through the branches - he's more interested in the trees themselves.

How did these grow in here? He says, holding the flare up as he inspects a nearby tree, trying to snap a branch off to inspect it. The sun can't get in...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    Still a little way ahead of the others to avoid the worst of that flare's light, Damon lets out a warning hiss and flattens himself against the nearest tree. There's no point really being subtle when the rest of the group has a big ol' flare lighting them up. "Up above usss. Ssomething'ss moving."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post

The deeper subtleties of the cave's magic escape Cass - she'd need a much more powerful, and noticeable, exertion of magic in order to detect that. The difference between the ambient elemental power of the cave and the more recent sorceries stand out as stark as night and day, however.

"Careful. One of those who came before was a mage." She says.

She'll look up at her companion's warning, squinting to try and filter out the harsh light of the flare.
    The branch is easily broken off, and flakes of dust float from it. The wood is clearly barely holding together, but still feels as if it shouldn't be as resilient as it is. Something is keeping this dead wood just barely intact, despite the lack of sun, water and looking like they'd been burnt to cinders. But it also looks like the very presence of the party is making them fall apart just a bit faster.

Meanwhile, Damon and Cass will notice that their silent observer has stopped moving. It seems bird-shaped, but skeletally thin. Cass might also recognize that its seems tied to the ambient power of the cave, rather than any sorcery used by those who passed through before them.
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-10-07 at 04:11 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

28. - Top - End - #1408

[Neon Facility]

"I just give them a little tap first!" Khannie objects. "If they sound kinda hollow then I smash through. But if they go thunk thunk then that means there's something important behind there."

How can someone argue with that kind of reasoning?

This kid knows her stuff.

Though at the insistence, she relents.

"Fiiiiine. There are those slot things in the door,"
    she says, pointing at two sockets on either side of the massive barrier. "I found these funny glass battery things with pink flames and stuff in them. If you stick them in a slot then stuff turns on."

She wrinkles her nose a bit.

"Dunno why they're put together like that, it seems silly."

It DOES seem kind of silly.

"We have to go back the way we came a bit to find them, though. The pink fire battery things are on the other side of the big bridge. But there are these super-mean ninja frogs that guard them."

That makes sense, sure.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ogre in the Playground

[Irradiated Wasteland - The Sanctum of Dust (Elf)]

Like the entrance, the sphincter-slab quivers before opening at the elf's touch, revealing an expansive chamber which appears even larger than the previous floors due to its unique architecture. Unlike the other floors, which are split into four uniform sectors, this final floor possesses very little in the way of organization. The walls here are composed of glittering onyx plates set into flesh and bone, the darkened material seemingly absorbing the violent green light which illuminates the chamber, reflecting it in strange and unnerving ways, sometimes forming writhing shapes out of the corner of the drider's eyes.

The floor itself is covered in an ominous gray powder which the ef may recognize as eerily similar to the coloration and texture of ground bone ash, the kind often utilized in the most dangerous of necromantic rituals and incantations. Enormous white bacteria float harmlessly through the air here, and the sanctum's onyx wall-platings have been carved with runic symbols designed to increase the power of certain schools of magic within the sanctum. At the center of it all, barely visible from the door, an enormous onyx monolith rises up, piercing the ceiling, serving as the needle-top of the sickening spire.

A lone figure looms ahead, facing it.

--

After several moments spent striding towards the monolith, the hulking figure raises a skeletal hand, gemstones twinkling in the dim light. His voice is eerily quiet, little more than a whisper, yet it echoes a thousand times throughout the chamber, supernaturally magnified.

30. - Top - End - #1410

Dragon Mountain

Marshall looks up at the bird, very carefully not reacting when he spots it. Give us your name, or I will give you one. He says, confidence in his voice where it might have been lacking before. He slips the branch into a pocket on his jacket, before sliding his spear-like tool off of his back into his right hand, ready.

Irradiated Wasteland - The Sanctum of Dust, Drider

Oh crap this sounded important. You're supposed to answer this sort of thing really like... symbolically or something right? They swallow before speaking.

P-power. Uh... revenge. Is that alright? Gods they hope that's alright.

Show