New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside 46

1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 46

[Village of Hamletsdale]

"Have you go slag in your ears?" the man replies after a moment's pause for face-twitching. "That's what I just said. No children in the village. None now. Ain't ever been any."

And... yeah.

There is CERTAINLY some magical shenanigans going on here.

The fellow is under an enchantment that seems to be triggered each time memories of children come up. The spell is expertly woven, using the man's own life to fuel itself. It has wormed its way deep into his brain and removing it would require something on the order of psychic surgery. A simply dispel magic would probably give him a stroke. Whatever cast this spell certainly knew what it was doing, which is troubling for several reason. The first, that it could even cast a spell like this to begin with. The second, and perhaps more sinister, is that it could have easily made the effect more subtle. Considering the ticks and the unimaginative (and not to mention unrealistic) denial, one might almost imagine that whatever inflicted this enchantment wanted it to be noticed by outsiders.

But for what purpose?

That's hard to guess.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

[Village of Hamletsdale]

Sam looks expectantly at Cassandra. Clearly she's not just making statements for fun, so he's sure she's going to explain something to him momentarily.
    He just doesn't know what because magic has always evaded him.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

[Village of Hamletsdale]

Cassandra scowls, crossing the smithy floor in a fury as she reaches up to grab the blacksmith's head in both hands and yank him down towards her. Of course, blacksmiths tend to be fairly large individuals, and Cassandra is but a tiny elf, but surprise might leave him vulnerable - that, and the sudden numb feeling of being simultaneously dunked into a tub of ice water as dozens of frozen hooks start slicing into your brain.

The delving is complete, of course - Cassandra will be able to detect every ailment or injury afflicting the man, from the hundreds of tiny scars on his arms caused by metal sparks that got past his gloves, the burns on his face from that time his beard caught fire - even the bruise on his stubbed toe. Ouch. But her primary attention and focus, of course, is diving into those brainmeats of his - delicately, of course, but also with merciless and exacting precision, teasing and prodding at the magic embedded in his mind to see what it is and how it could have gotten into there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[The Road to Inside - Forgotten Grotto (Closed Scene)]

The roads leading to Inside are always interesting. Some pass through meadow, others through forest, as this one does, and still others wind more esoteric paths. Each is dotted by towns, landmarks and campsites, places for travellers to rest, perhaps trade some of their current possessions for needed supplies, and recuperate from their chosen method of transportation. And so, this fine early morning, one of these small campsites is occupied by a traveller. Hardly remarkable, that, but he seems to be waiting for someone or something. He seems to be wearing a martial arts gi of some sort, a light blue color, broken by a wide black belt. His feet are bare, though a pair of geta rest next to his legs, and on his head is a wide-brimmed straw hat, under which, a massive shock of white hair has been pulled into a long, bushy ponytail, just visible when he turns his head. He's seated at the base of a massive tree, his back against its trunk, the embers of a small fire still smoldering a few feet away. He seems to be watching the road, the long stem of a wild grass of some variety or another held in his mouth. His frame is well-muscled, and there's a leonine quality to his face, suggesting a ferocity that seems to deter many of the curious.

Each group that passes by on the road seems to get a silent appraisal, before he watches them go by without moving. Whatever he is, he doesn't seem to be a bandit, at least. What's more curious, is that he doesn't seem to have any sort of traveling gear on him. No bag nearby, no coat, no weapon, not even a hatchet or saw, though from the ash and the remaining embers, he must've built that fire the previous night. Curiouser and curiouser.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Road to Inside- Forgotten Grotto]

And today, he might have been visited by a traveling centauress, were it not that she had something specific in mind. She's fit, tanned, with black hair just short of her shoulders and a similarly colored tail, but a white coat on her horse half. She's rather vivacious, and a very good horse were someone trained to look for that sort of thing. She's dressed in a simple bra top, and with a bag with her stuff tied to her waist. She also has blue paint down her back and limbs, along with going across both her chests, though it seems like it was applied a few days ago.

Hrm. This fellow might do. He's attractive, isn't causing trouble. And she has him curious. Must be a local, if he has no traveling gear, and she hasn't heard of any trouble in the local area. It's actually very nice and peaceful.
    Well, it's another hour's trot to Inside. Why go all the way there to look when she can experiment with a hunk right here? Without ceremony, and with as little sound as possible, she uncorks a bottle and drains it, setting it down in the grass.

The succubi elixir should cause her to change shape into her target's ideal love, complete with attire. She's hoping he's not into anything too odd. Though she's lucky she hadn't tried it on the "man" who passed by this fellow before her, as that could have been disastrous. But that will be left to the alternate universes.

6. - Top - End - #246

NinjaGuy

The man doesn't seem to have noticed the centauress, his eyes having passed over her and traveled to anyone else traveling near her, before returning to where the road meets the horizon. Good enough, that, then, so that he doesn't see her duck into a hiding place, let alone her transformation.

She'll find that her black hair has grown, wildly so, reaching down to the small of her back, and it's streaked with highlights of silver. Gone is the horse-half of her body, replaced with the legs of a human; fairly standard so far, though as she looks down at herself, she can see that the changes have granted her a number of tattoos, each in glittering silver, all in the shapes that were once painted down her back and front. The shapes that were once painted on her second chest have now been migrated tastefully to her new legs, so as not to interfere with any sort of magic they may grant her. It may take her a few moments to realize just how much brighter everything seems to be, and her teeth feel kind of funny, too, as though they've changed shape just a bit, her canines seeming to have grown slightly longer. What's more, she can hear things more clearly and further away, too. Reaching up to where her ears are reveals that they're now longer and furred, ending in tufts somewhat similar to those of a bobcat. Most of what she was wearing hasn't changed too much, though thankfully enough, the potion did give her a pair of rather baggy blue shorts that end just above her knees, and a pair of simple, flat shoes. Her bag is still tied to her waist, and hasn't changed, nor have its contents.

All that remains now is for her to reveal herself to him, and see where this takes them.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Willa blinks, but luckily she remembers this feeling, and notices the ears quickly. She can't tell what kind they are without a mirror, but a girl with fuzzy ears is nothing out of the ordinary. Alright, she can work with this. Luckily the elixir bridges the gap of re-learning bipedal nature, and so with just a minute to experiment with her toes she can saunter over to the man, trying her best to get the motions right.
    "Now, just what's someone like you just sitting around here doing nothing?" she asks him with an innocent smile.

8. - Top - End - #248

NinjaGuy

The man blinks at her, light blue eyes with slitted pupils, like those of a cat. To his credit, he doesn't seem to ogle one part of her or another, just looks her up and down and smiles lazily at her, his eyes full of warmth and...mischief? His voice is deep, but friendly.

"Oh, who says I'm doing nothing?" The lazy smile turns to a grin. "I'm quite active, you see, though I know I don't look it, miss. For instance, I've never seen someone with such...interesting tattoos before. Normally, I'm quite good at reading them, but I'm having a hard time with yours. Perhaps you'd care to sit awhile, and enlighten me?" He sits up, and gestures towards a protruding root that places her close to him, but far enough away to be respectful, then removes his hat. As he moves, she can see that his frame is larger than it looked from far away, with broad muscled shoulders, and a wide chest. His arms and chest are covered in tattoos the same color as the ones the potion gave her, but they're shaped differently, swirls and whirls, and stylized clouds, though she only catches glances of them, since his gi is covering most of them. There must be some sort of symbolism to his own from what he says, and perhaps he'll enlighten her if she stick around. He seems friendly enough, at least.

9. - Top - End - #249

[Village of Hamletsdale]

Poor Sam.

All he's getting to do is watch his partner harass brains. He could stand around and wait for the result. Or he could start poking around himself. The town IS pretty big and there are likely clues scattered about. Whatever did this isn't trying to be secret about it. It's like a game of Clue! Except with more actual murder.

As for Cassandra, she'll find the magic to be pernicious and deep. Whatever did this took its time, several hours at least, to carefully weave this spell. Likely while the blacksmith was asleep. That might explain why he and his wife remembered the problem yesterday enough to send the contract and have no recollection of it what so ever today. The magic itself has a distinct air of unreality to it, gossamer threads of dreams woven into a rough analog of reality. That is, perhaps, why such an unconvincing lie is believed by the blacksmith. One often doesn't question logical inconsistencies while dreaming.

Though, perhaps most odd, is the fact that the spell appears to be tied to the existence of whatever awful dark faerie cast it.

If the creature were destroyed (or compelled to remove the hex) it would harmlessly unravel itself. There's nothing in the spell that would require this to be the case. Whoever cast it added this feature intentionally.

Someone is playing games, here.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

[Village of Hamletsdale]

Sam tries to ignore the magical harassment happening at the moment and sniffs experimentally at the horseshoe, wondering if there's enough of a scent on it that he could use it to track a dragged-off child who had lived in the place.
    He's never actually tried this sort of thing, but he's been told pigs are very good at it, so it's worth a shot.

Willa returns his warm look and sits down.
    "They were designed by a superior of mine, the goddess who protects the town I live in. She has honored me, so I honor her." she explains simply.

11. - Top - End - #251

NinjaGuy

"I see, interesting," He says, and she can tell he means it. "We are similar, then. My goddess has blessed me with power as well, and my tattoos are records of my deeds, both before being blessed by her power, and afterwards. The name I have chosen for myself as her servant is Corvus the White. You can call me just 'Corvus', if you'd like. Are your traditions here similar, choosing a deed name for yourself after receiving your goddess' blessing? I must admit, I am still rather new to this place, this Nexus, so I apologize if asking such things might be rude." Corvus smiles once again, a bit sheepish this time, but earnest and interested and still warm, so warm.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Road to Inside]

"You can call me Willa. I'm afraid I don't have any other name for myself. I haven't heard of other name traditions, sorry." she tells him, but as sweetly as possible.

She wonders what sort of person she's convinced him that she is.

13. - Top - End - #253

NinjaGuy

[The Road to Inside]

Corvus's smile deepens and he offers Willa his hand. "Pleased to meet you, Willa. Our goddesses might not be the same, then, but I am pleased to meet you all the same." If she takes his hand, he'll kiss the back of it gently, before letting it go. "As to your earlier question, I was waiting for someone who told me they would meet me here at an appointed time, but it seems I was deceived. They should have been here by now. I should have known better than to have paid them up front." He sighs, then smiles at her, seeming to take the deception in stride. "Well, I'm no closer to getting back to Creation than I was, but perhaps Luna smiles on me in a different way, even here. Are you heading for the city, or on your way away from that busy place?"

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Road to Inside]

"I had been on my way there to find something to do for a day, but with a traveling companion I could go either way." Willa tells him, looking around. Really, she didn't have much of a plan after finding a man to try the elixir on.

15. - Top - End - #255

NinjaGuy

[The Road to Inside]

"Do you go there often? Perhaps you could show me what places you find most enjoyable, then, if you'd like." Corvus's smile is inviting and warm. "I didn't explore much before, but with a guide, I might be more inclined to indulge my curiousity."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Road to Inside]

"Well, sure. I lived there, once upon a time. I can show you a few places. You ready to go now?" she asks him. She suspects the answer is yes, given his complete lack of well, anything on him that would need to be packed.

17. - Top - End - #257

NinjaGuy

[The Road to Inside]

Corvus grins at her.

"Oh yes, I'm ready." He pushes on his knees and rises to his feet, before offering Willa his hand if she'd like to have an anchor to use to help herself up. Now that he's standing, he's reasonably tall (about 6', give or take an inch or so), which only grows once he slips his geta back on. He plops his hat back on his head and beams at her. "Lead on, then, Miss Willa."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Village of Hamletsdale]

Poor Sam.

All he's getting to do is watch his partner harass brains. He could stand around and wait for the result. Or he could start poking around himself. The town IS pretty big and there are likely clues scattered about. Whatever did this isn't trying to be secret about it. It's like a game of Clue! Except with more actual murder.

As for Cassandra, she'll find the magic to be pernicious and deep. Whatever did this took its time, several hours at least, to carefully weave this spell. Likely while the blacksmith was asleep. That might explain why he and his wife remembered the problem yesterday enough to send the contract and have no recollection of it what so ever today. The magic itself has a distinct air of unreality to it, gossamer threads of dreams woven into a rough analog of reality. That is, perhaps, why such an unconvincing lie is believed by the blacksmith. One often doesn't question logical inconsistencies while dreaming.

Though, perhaps most odd, is the fact that the spell appears to be tied to the existence of whatever awful dark faerie cast it.

If the creature were destroyed (or compelled to remove the hex) it would harmlessly unravel itself. There's nothing in the spell that would require this to be the case. Whoever cast it added this feature intentionally.

Someone is playing games, here.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    [Village of Hamletsdale]

Sam tries to ignore the magical harassment happening at the moment and sniffs experimentally at the horseshoe, wondering if there's enough of a scent on it that he could use it to track a dragged-off child who had lived in the place.
    He's never actually tried this sort of thing, but he's been told pigs are very good at it, so it's worth a shot.

Willa returns his warm look and sits down.
    "They were designed by a superior of mine, the goddess who protects the town I live in. She has honored me, so I honor her." she explains simply.
    [The Village of Hamletsdale]

Well. That's enough information to be going off of at the moment. Cassandra releases the blacksmith from her clutches, stepping back and straightening her coat before turning around as if she didn't just totally assault him. The blacksmith himself should be none the worse for wear, the magical examination leaving no actual lasting effects other than the initial shock to his system, to say nothing of the shock of being grabbed and manhandled by a woman likely less than half his size.

"Discover anything?" She asks Sam, watching his own efforts curiously.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2017-11-08 at 12:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259

[Village of Hamletsdale]

The blacksmith sags back against the wall, staring vacantly. After a few moments, he returns to his work as if nothing at all out of the ordinary had just happened.

What a weird town.

As for the horseshoe?

That was up on the house, previously. No doubt above the threshold to keep spirits and spooks away. But it has since been knocked down. Sam won't smell anyone's scent on the shoe, though judging from the scent of decay and a few spongy wood splinters on the thing someone must have used a stick to knock it down.

Maybe that's still laying around somewhere nearby?

If so, that might have the smell of whoever picked it up on it.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

[Village of HamletsDale]

Sam makes a cursory look for something like the stick that might carry a scent but won't be missed. He doesn't want to make himself look like a thief or anything, so he wouldn't dare actually going inside the house to search for anything.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

[Village of HamletsDale]

Cassandra follows Sam. She's content with letting him take the initiative for this brief leg of the search.

22. - Top - End - #262

[Moon-lit Moor]

A hollow hound, clad in a ghost-white carapace is running through the empty moors. It is on a important mission, or so it believes. It couldn't be late. It master was waiting.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Halfling in the Playground

[Moon-lit Moor]

Even with the moon glowing brightly overhead, it does little to inhibit the pleasant darkness of the night. Well, pleasant for those who like such things. Twirling his sword in his hand, wreathed in black flames, Damon lets out a hissing chuckle as he hops out from a ditch and reaches forward with one hand, sending streams of black fire spreading along the ground to cut off the hound's path. The fire draws in what little light there is, threatening to swiftly plunge the area into absolute darkness - an ideal arena for the zern. "Excellent timing, little demon. I wasss jussst ssstarting to get hungry."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

24. - Top - End - #264

[Moon-lit Moor]

The hound stops, observes Daemon a moment and then turns around and attempts to simply run through the fire Daemon just created. Yet whatever injuries it will suffer, once it is out on the other side it will run into something else.

A dragon.

A long serpentine body stretching seemingly endlessly against the moon-lit sky with two huge wings that are covered in large purple raven-like feathers. Its white eyes stare down at the demon who just change direction, simply trying to get away from all these enemies.

25. - Top - End - #265

[Moon-lit Moor]

Black fire it may be, but fire is still fire - albeit a somewhat persistent fire that seems to cling to the hound as it runs through - though a brief touch such as that won't be enough to do so. "Persssisstent prey." Damon reaches down with one hand to the trail of fire along the ground and erupts into a ball of black fire that blasts along the trail at a terrific speed, reforming moments later just where the hound dashed through. He sweeps his sword across the ground, sending another trail of fire out to keep pace with the hound, threatening to re-appear beside it again whenever he sees fit.

...but there's a dragon up there.

Not as bad as a demon, sure, but Damon isn't exactly fond of dragons either.

He stares up at it, momentarily distracted from his target. "Thisss isss my hunt! Go find your own!"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

26. - Top - End - #266

[Moon-lit Moor]

The dragon appears far more interested in Daemon than the demon. Evidently, it didn't come here to hunt it. "I advice against killing this beast. If your goal is simple murder, then if you wait and follow there will be a greater opportunity for that soon."" It speaks in a soft feminine tone that seems to echo in Daemon's mind.

27. - Top - End - #267

[Moon-lit Moor]

Strange creatures, those dragons. Strange, unreliable creatures with their heads up their own backsides, too busy being all high and mighty to actually help...

Pale eyes full of doubt and distrust stare up out of the raging black fire at the winged creature. "Ssssubtlety iss not exactly my sstrong point. If I don't kill it now, I will lose it - or elssse my fire would alert whoever you are sssuggessting I murder. Unlesss you're offering a ride, I think I'm better off killing it now."

28. - Top - End - #268

[Moon-lit Moor]

"I cannot offer you a ride, but that beast is a messenger to a to a demonic sovereign. We just need to see which direction it is going."
    The dragon points out. "It won't be alerted by your flame." A strange promise.

29. - Top - End - #269

[Moon-lit Moor]

The sword twirls in Damon's hand, flames flicking from its tip and dissipating in the air. There's a demon right there, and some know-it-all dragon telling him not to kill it!

"And if I were to kill it now? Would I earn your wrath, dragon? If you know it sseekss itss ssovereign, why not just go there and kill itss masster yoursself? That'ss what you do, issn't it?" Nevertheless, Damon relents, letting the flames keep pace with the hound but far enough away not to threaten it.

30. - Top - End - #270

[Moon-lit Moor]

"My wrath isn't so easily earned. But if you kill this creature now, I will be unable to track down its master." The dragon replies in the same calm soothing voice as always. "I'll leave the decision to you."

That demon is running as fast as it can...
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-12-29 at 07:18 PM.