New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Savaged Worlds] Warhammer Fantasy Why would ANYONE play a Halfling?

Cheers, just a quick-fire thread for my main question.

We had the idea to play a group in Gottfried von Diehl's entourage (after his brother went full Chaos Warrior and his other brother vanished) during his banishment from Bretonnia to the Border Princes (through Black Fire Pass).

My first idea pitch was a Halfling butler assigned to a young academy wizard (played by another player) but I don't know why I should use a Halfling? Why would a Halfling even serve them? What would a Halfling butler bring that a Human butler cannot (despite delicious food)? I intend to be a mix between "Alfred the Butler" and "Niles the Butler (from The Nanny). So a scholar, gentleman, not adverse to magic but as well versed in it. Maybe having a few social traits along with it. Primarily a non combatant (but this being Warhammer, combat will eventually come up).

My idea for a Human butler would be a hedge wizard who couldn't pay for the protection from the inquisition/a license so he went into service of Von Diehl so that his past dabbling in magic wouldn't be detected. This way I can play around with magic a bit, still be the face and scholar if need be.

What are your ideas. High Elves are probably out but if you could explain a Wood Elf in service of the house (maybe as a tracker or guide for the forest parts of the travel since we will have a Dwarf to guide us through Black Fire Pass) this could pose an idea as well. Go ham on ideas here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Savaged Worlds] Warhammer Fantasy Why would ANYONE play a Halfling?

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Cheers, just a quick-fire thread for my main question.

We had the idea to play a group in Gottfried von Diehl's entourage (after his brother went full Chaos Warrior and his other brother vanished) during his banishment from Bretonnia to the Border Princes (through Black Fire Pass).

My first idea pitch was a Halfling butler assigned to a young academy wizard (played by another player) but I don't know why I should use a Halfling? Why would a Halfling even serve them? What would a Halfling butler bring that a Human butler cannot (despite delicious food)? I intend to be a mix between "Alfred the Butler" and "Niles the Butler (from The Nanny). So a scholar, gentleman, not adverse to magic but as well versed in it. Maybe having a few social traits along with it. Primarily a non combatant (but this being Warhammer, combat will eventually come up).
    NOTE : I'm not familiar with Savage Worlds so I'm going off Warhammer 2nd edition

To answer in order :
    A Halfling would serve for any number of reasons same as any race. They might need a job (everybody needs to pay the rent), they might be fascinated by magic ( given that Halflings have no Wizards)and see serving a Wizard as a way to learn about this subject, perhaps they owe a debt of honour to the Wizard or his family. Or given that Wizards in the Empire tend to be important people regard him as a route to the best houses and parties ( and food), or perhaps he just thinks a Wizard makes a fine protector for a Halfling in a dangerous world.
    A Halfling butler does bring fine cooking ( as you noted) but also a great deal of charm and good social skills (High Fellowship score). They're unusual which is useful in its own right if you're looking to mix with the bored upper classes at any point. And of course there is always the point that the Halflings have a natural resistance to the effects of Chaos which could be useful when dealing with the.........more extreme end of the magical spectrum

Re combat. Bows, slings, thrown weapons are all your friends. Halflings get good BS, use it. Hand-to-hand combat is something that other Races do. You stand at the back and provide supporting fire ( and if you can learn Dodge Blow as soon a possible)

P.S.
    And yes I'm currently playing a Halfling
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2017-08-29 at 10:25 AM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Savaged Worlds] Warhammer Fantasy Why would ANYONE play a Halfling?

Aren't Halflings one of the primary mercenary races in Fantasy? I'm not as familiar with WHFB as I am with 40k
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

There's a difference between WHFB, where pretty much everything has to have an army or there's no reason for them to be in it, and WHFRP where Halfling adventures are very much the exception to the average Halfling
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I had a small falling out with my DM. He pretty much disallows anything not bog-standard in the circumstances.

So for the roles the following is allowed which I would play:
    Fighting Man: Knight of the White Wolf (following Ulric), or Knight of the Panther. I read the Family as coming from Bretonnia and fell in love with a Grail Knight (or Questing Knight at the start)
    Priest: Either Ulric Priest or Shallya (only female?)
    Mage: Only academy mages are allowed. My idea was a failed apprentice dabbling in hedge magic, serving as a butler to a young foolish academy mage. This was shut down. Hard. The DM said the inquisition would kill me.
    Expert: Halfling Butler would be fine. Farm hands and servants too.

My problem is that we have not played Fantasy for so long that I would love a highly magical character. The DM's wife is liking her mage and the DM said it is unlikely for two mages to be in the party. We finished yesterday's chat with him telling me not to play when I am not willing to fit my character into the mold of the setting. And with this posting I am still not interested enough to actually brew up something.