The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [4E] Valiant Hearts (OOC)

Valiant Hearts Out of Character Thread

Welcome players to the OOC thread for Valiant Hearts! I, Hircine will be your humble DM who hopes to provide each of you with an enjoyable game experience.

Player Name Character Name Class Role Race
    Snowbluff Priscilla Paladin Defender Deva
    Keledrath Iolian the Fire Soul Elemental Sorcerer Striker Dragonborn (Gensai)
    Ridai Zellas Warlord Leader Gensai
    Dacia Brabant Makaria Blackguard|Warlock Striker Tiefling
    Necroticplague Kanska Egblonde Thief Striker Human
    Dakaran Agdin Ursabough Ranger Striker Halfling

Spoiler: What to Expect
    Show

My Background
    Until recently I've been away from these forums and D&D for a few years now. Before that I ran two fairly successful PBP campaigns that both lasted for a couple of years. So I'm quite familiar with the advantages and pitfalls of this medium. I'm quite familiar with 4E, but have to admit that I'm a little rusty on some of the finer mechanics. Suggestions and constructive criticism that could help the game are certainly welcome.

Player Expectations
    Posting Rate: Once a day minimum during weekdays (I fully understand this won't always be possible but do please try to post when you're able to). Weekends will be far more relaxed and more post if you can.

Absence:Please post in the OOC thread or send me a PM if you're going to be absent for any period of time. If i hear nothing for two week, i'll begin looking for a replacement.

Descriptions: Simply going "I search the room" and rolling a perception check doesn't provide me with much as a DM (are you tapping the walls looking for a hidden door? Or just standing in the middle of the room looking? Do you search the set of drawers possibly setting of a trap?) and it doesn't provide the rest of us, as readers of our joint story, with a nice visual image. The same goes for combat, please don't stop RP just because initiative has been rolled. Be descriptive. "I attack the dragon." is not good enough.

Sandbox: This campaign will operate as a living, breathing world with NPC's that have their own concerns and motivations. While you're off adventuring things will be happening across the Vale. More often than not these events will be minor, but on occasion something might change in the world. I will provide ample hooks for jobs and side objectives but this will require a lot of initiative from all of you. Sometimes there will be quests that I encourage you to take.

Initiative: Before combat encounters I will be rolling for both PC's and enemies so things aren't slowed down.

Combat: In order to keep the game flowing smoothly when your turn comes up in combat please try to post within 24 hours. If you are unable to post or don't reply in the allotted time I will take your turn to keep things going. Most likely this will consist of using an at-will power against the target of you previous attack. When you post for combat please include your damage roll and whatever effects your power had. Other than hit points, auras, and status effects I'm leaving it up to you to keep track of your character.

Stagnation: Besides vanishing players/DMs, the lead cause of PbP game death is stagnation. People aren't sure what to do. DM isn't sure if the players are finished with a scene. So both sit and wait, days go by and interest wanes. This happens too often and people start dropping. Let's not have that happen. I'll be doing my best to prod the group on and keep the story moving but i also need your help. If you have nothing to add IC, post something in the OOC. Post IC about what your character is doing while whatever is happening happens. What are they thinking about, where do they wish they were? Anything is better than nothing and it also gives the rest of us some insight on your character.

Before we begin in earnest, I would like to get a few things out of the way:
    - Final tweaks and links to your character sheets
    - Character speech color.
    - A picture or token of your character that will be used on combat maps
    - A wishlist of magical equipment that I can pull from later
    - If you don't already have it on your sheet: the personality, appearance, and 10 minute background of your character
    - Please remember to subscribe to both the IC and OOC threads
    Last edited by Hircine; 2017-09-07 at 08:17 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [4E] Valiant Hearts (OOC)

History of the Vale

Spoiler: The Bloodspear Wars
    Show

When the human empire of Nerath was at its height about three hundred years ago, the Nentir Vale stood as the northernmost extension of that great realm. Would-be settlers navigated the Nentir River through a trackless swamp or forged their way through a thick forest that separated this area from the rest of Nerath. At the end of their journey, they came upon a pocket of rolling grassland and light woods more than a hundred miles wide and ringed by mountains and forests-a frontier area that held both promise and peril for those who braved it. Several settlements sprang up in the area. Foot paths between these outposts of civilization turned into well-traveled roads, and most of the towns flourished over the next two hundred years or so.

A century later chaos and ruin came to the Nentir Vale when a clan of orcs known as Bloodspear swarmed down out of the mountains to the northwest. By this time, the empire of Nerath was in decline, and the vale got no help from the south. Before the Bloodspear War was over, much of the Nentir Vale had been ravaged. When the orcs finally withdrew, they left behind a broken and battered land.
    Forty years after the initial invasion a smaller horde of Bloodspear Orcs began massing along the edge of the Vale. Lord Warden Ralvar Markelhay of Fallcrest unwilling to let the orcs ravage his home reached out to other local lords, appointed officials, and town elders for aid. After days of negotiation every settlement in the Vale pledged support to the cause. Uncertain that even the combined forces of the Vale could repel the orcs alone, Markelhay spent a vast amount of coin hiring able bodied adventurers, mercenaries, cutthroats, and assassins. With a suitably diverse enough group to combat the orcs, the Lord Warden's army marched north to intercept the greenskin advance. A forward encampment was established along the road north of Winterhaven to monitor the Cairngorm Peaks for signs of the horde’s advance. The main body of the army remained behind to fortify the settlement for the inevitable conflict that could arrive on their doorstep at any moment.

Three anxious days passed without word from the front lines. Before dawn the next morning a runner was seen on the road, waving his arms shouting, “The orcs are here! The orcs are here!” In a few short hours the vanguard had been obliterated and a mass of greenskins could be seen marching towards Winterhaven. Despite days of preparation for this inevitable conflict soldiers of the Vale were initially caught off guard by the orcs ferociousness and blood thirst for battle. The orcs absorbed heavy losses but were eventually able to overwhelm Winterhaven’s defenders through sheer force of will. Accepting that this battle was lost, Markelhay sounded the retreat. This resounding defeat allowed the shadow of doubt to creep into the minds of every fighter attempting to resist the orc invaders.

The tide of the Second Bloodspear War, if you could call it one continued to nosedive over the next months. After nearly every skirmish or major battle the resistance was forced to cede more and more ground to the orcs until Fallcrest was right at their back. Desertion was a major problem by this point as many felt that losing their lives for a doomed cause was foolhardy. While the groundwork is being laid for a final stand within the city, two groups that had remained on the sidelines to this point emerged to offer aid. First were the Mages of Saruun, a secretive society that operated out of Thunderspire Mountain. Then came the minotaur and tribes, enemies of all civilized settlements in the Vale. They realized that once what was left of Markelhay’s army was destroyed the orcs would naturally set their sights on the biggest threat left.

These new arrivals inspired hope in fighters that had nothing to be upbeat about in quite some time. Without success on the battlefield however this new found optimism would quickly give way to despair. Now possessing warriors that could match the orcs ferocity in conjunction with the sinister arcane power of Saruun’s mages, proved the difference in what would later be known as the war’s turning point. Until now no Bloodspear orc had ever experienced defeat in the Vale. At first the orcs relished in finally facing an adversary that could match their intensity. Of course this sentiment quickly changes as defeats mount and captured territory is surrendered. After another particularly grueling defeat an orc captain named Mukk Manslayer murdered the warchief and assumed control of Clan Bloodspear. Mukk possessed even less tactical acumen then his predecessor, choosing to rely on brute force and strength of numbers to win battles. With the orcs edge in physicality canceled out by the minotaurs their inferior tactics proved to be their undoing. In a matter of weeks the orcs were pushed all the way back up the King’s Road toward their last holding in the Vale, Winterhaven.

By this point full dissension was in the ranks with twelve orc captains arguing for Warchief Mukk’s execution. Advance scouts witnessed the open hostility between the orcs and reported back. When news of this reached Markelhay he felt one more push might splinter the clan. Marshaling his forces he led a direct assault on the orcish hold, catching the greenskins completely flatfooted. Fighting immediately broke out between fellow orcs in addition to the army right at their doorstep. On that fateful morning Clan Bloodspear fractured into twelve warring tribes. The disunity allowed for Markelhay’s army to swiftly and decisively win the final battle of the Second Bloodspear War. Warchief Mukk Manslayer fell in battle while his traitorous captains fled with their followers.

Ralvar not content to let any orc remain alive in the Vale wished to hunt down every survivor and put them to the sword. Feeling that they had done more than their share the soldiers levied from local settlements across the Vale set off for home. The Mages of Saruun disappeared the night after Winterhaven was retaken. Confident that their very existence was no longer at stake the minotaur tribes also departed. In order to keep the mercenaries and adventurers that remained he offered a bonus for every orc they killed. Over the next year and a half this ragtag band traversed mountain ranges, stalked through forests, and marched over plains in their hunt for orcs. While camping near the Winter River a messenger arrives with correspondence for Markelhay. His wife, Magda, who took the mantle of Warden of Fallcrest in his absence, wrote to explain that his crusade against the orcs was draining the town treasury. After rewarding those that had remained with him throughout his campaign he reluctantly returned to Fallcrest.

Celebrations were organized by the citizenry to celebrate the return of Fallcrest’s greatest hero. Capitalizing on the celebrity and goodwill he fostered throughout the land, Markelhay signed treaties with other settlements compelling them to send soldiers in the event of future invasions of the Vale. He also in conjunction with other rulers established The Vale Council to rule on matters concerning the realm. Thanks in part to his efforts a relative peace has reigned for the last half-century.

Historian's Addendum: While it has been speculated that Lord Warden Ralvar Markelhay was equal parts diplomat, tactician, and warrior a startling revelation concerning his role has emerged. Despite historical texts lauding his martial prowess with a blade eyewitness accounts describe him as a middling swordsman at best whose place on the battlefield was strictly for morale. And while present for every meeting of the war council his being there was merely for show. Battle tactics and contingency plans were handled by advisors and veteran warriors. These discrepancies aside the man's ability to unify the land against a threat that felled an empire was remarkable, and his willingness to bankroll the endeavor almost singlehandedly can also not be understated. While his contributions have been overblown in recent years it can be said with certainty that without him The Nentir Vale would have fallen for the second and perhaps final time...

Spoiler: Fallcrest Map
    Show

1. Tower of Waiting
    2. Upper Quays
    3. Five-Arch Bridge
    4. Nentir Inn
    5. Knight's Gate
    6. Silver Unicorn Inn
    7. Halfmoon Trading House
    8. Moonstone Keep
    9. The Tombwood
    10. House of the Sun
    11. House Azaer
    12. The Nentir Falls
    13. Temple of Erathis
    14. The Bluffs
    15. The Catacombs
    16. Moonsong Temple
    17. Fallcrest Stables
    18. Wizard's Gate
    19. Naerumar's Imports
    20. Kamroth Estate
    21. Moonwash Falls
    22. Septarch's Tower
    23. Blue Moon Alehouse
    24. Teldorthan's Arms
    25. King's Gate
    26. The Market Green
    27. Sandercot Provisioners
    28. Lucky Gnome Taphouse
    29. Lower Quays

Spoiler: Map of Tusar
    Show

Last edited by Hircine; 2017-09-22 at 04:47 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Claiming Orange for speech for Iolian

One thing I've found that can help with preventing stagnation is a more active form of OoC communication, such as Skype or Discord. If anyone else is interested in that, I'm available on both systems under the same name as here (please mention it's related to this game so i know it's not a bot)

EDIT: Token I can provide once I get home. Wishlist I'll work on now.

EDIT 2: Wishlist (spans across all level, since i don't know how high you intend this to go)
    Saff of Ruin (Would prefer the option to upgrade my current staff)
    Rythym Blade Dagger
    Robe of Eyes/Greater Armor of Eyes
    Amulet of Life
    Eager Hero's Tattoo
    Acrobat Boots
    Bracers of the Perfect Shot
    Diamond Cincture
    Circlet of Arkhosia
    Last edited by Keledrath; 2017-08-29 at 09:18 AM.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #4

Woo! Thanks for DMing, Hircine! I'm really looking forward to it!

I'll start working through the final checklist:
    - Final tweaks and links to your character sheets: DONE - https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1312475
    - Character speech color: Fire Brick
    - A picture or token of your character that will be used on combat maps: IN PROGRESS
    - A wishlist of magical equipment that I can pull from later: IN PROGRESS
    - 10 minute background: DONE - On character sheet

Is there an image pixel dimension you prefer for tokens?

I have Discord, but not Skype (though I could get it) if we prefer an alternative communication method.

PS - I really appreciate your section on what to expect and what you expect of us.
    ᕕ( ՞ ᗜ ՞ )ᕗ Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay
    Valiant Hearts PBP | Agdin | OOC | IC
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Claiming Orange for speech for Iolian

One thing I've found that can help with preventing stagnation is a more active form of OoC communication, such as Skype or Discord. If anyone else is interested in that, I'm available on both systems under the same name as here (please mention it's related to this game so i know it's not a bot)

EDIT: Token I can provide once I get home. Wishlist I'll work on now.
    I'll look into it but can't promise anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaran View Post
    Woo! Thanks for DMing, Hircine! I'm really looking forward to it!

I'll start working through the final checklist:
    - Final tweaks and links to your character sheets: DONE - https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1312475
    - Character speech color: Fire Brick
    - A picture or token of your character that will be used on combat maps: IN PROGRESS
    - A wishlist of magical equipment that I can pull from later: IN PROGRESS
    - 10 minute background: DONE - On character sheet

Is there an image pixel dimension you prefer for tokens?

I have Discord, but not Skype (though I could get it) if we prefer an alternative communication method.

PS - I really appreciate your section on what to expect and what you expect of us.
    I believe in the past they were 120x120. I've added another section on what to expect.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2017-08-29 at 08:58 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A living 4E game! It's happening!!1

Zellas speaks in Navy

I'll use one of the standard genasi pictures for Zellas' token, seen here.

Wishlist as of character level 1 (heroic tier items)
    Weapon: Farbond Spellblade longsword (AV 2)
    Armor: Healer's hide armor (AV 2)
    Neck: Magic +1 / Steadfast Amulet +2 and on (AV)

Arms: Iron Armbands of Power (AV)
    Misc: Battle Standard of Healing (AV)
    Backlash Tattoo (AV 2)

Party (relevant) MBA/RBA index
    MBA
    Agdin - MBA - +6 v AC, 1d8+4 damage (can add Hunter's Quarry for +1d8 damage)
    GOBBLESHANKS - MBA - +6 vs AC, 1d6+4 damage, gobblegobble mothereffer
    Kanska - MBA - +9 v AC, 2d4+7 damage, +2d6+1 damage with CA from Sneak Attack (can add Backstab for +3 power to attack and +1d6 damage)
    Makaria - Virtuous Strike - +8 v AC, 2d4+4 radiant, (+4 damage with CA; if has THP, can take 4 damage to add +4 damage, which can also trigger Hellish Rebuke secondary effect), Makaria gains +2 to saves until her SONT (can add Warlock's Curse for +1d6 damage)
    Priscilla - Virtuous Strike - +8 v AC (+1 v bloodied), 1d8+4 radiant, enemy gains vul 3 radiant until Priscilla's EONT, Priscilla gains +2 to saves until her SONT

RBA
    Agdin - RBA - +6 v Reflex, 1d6+4 damage (can add Hunter's Quarry for +1d8 damage)
    Iolian - Elemental Bolt - R10, +7 v Reflex (+1 when bloodied), 1d12+1d6+7 fire (can add Elemental Escalation for +1d10 damage)

Sources
    Agdin: Sheet
    Iolian: Sheet Roll codes
    Kanska: Sheet
    Makaria: Sheet (including roll codes)
    Priscilla: Sheet
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-09-01 at 04:36 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, thank you for DMing and for your list of expectations, I think that's a good way to get things off on the right track.

Makaria will speak in indigo. I think I have everything else except the wish list (presuming the portrait on her sheet will work for her token, if not I'll link to a larger version), and I'll put that together as soon as I have time to sit down with the CB.

Edit: So as far as a wish list goes, I would say a Carnage Falchion and a Badge of the Berserker would be at the top of the list, as well as a magic holy symbol and plate armor (not sure of anything specific for these, though). Bracers of Mighty Striking, too. I'll keep looking though.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2017-08-29 at 07:58 PM.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

8. - Top - End - #8

Just a heads up but I probably won't have the IC up until tomorrow as I'm still working on a few things to get this up and running. Also I filled out a table with all of your characters on it. I didn't realize until now just how heavy we are on strikers. I anticipate that combat won't last long either way things end up.

EDIT: I can't take credit for the what to expect section. I saw it in another game and thought it would prove useful here.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2017-08-29 at 09:45 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I see it was a good decision to get both enabling at-wills, and our area damage is having enough strikers to blast everyone. I like that we are set up for fast and furious fights, as that also removes some pressure from Zellas in this group of six in terms of heals (running out is less of an issue, that is).

edit: If everyone could list their Melee Basic Attacks and Ranged Basic Attacks with attack modifier and damage, that would be great for your friendly neighborhood enabler.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-08-29 at 09:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Posting Priscilla's speech color as this "Deva skin tone"

Anyone else using radiant powers?

I'm going to be using 1 handed weapons and shields, and mostly scale armor.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2017-08-29 at 10:29 AM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

11. - Top - End - #11

Posting Priscilla's speech color as this "Deva skin tone"

While looking over your sheet I didn't see a background or theme. Did you pick any?
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hircine View Post
    While looking over your sheet I didn't see a background or theme. Did you pick any?

I think at the bottom I have Guardian listed as my back ground with the full text.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hircine View Post
    Before we begin in earnest, I would like to get a few things out of the way:
    - Final tweaks and links to your character sheets
    - Character speech color.
    - A picture or token of your character that will be used on combat maps
    - A wishlist of magical equipment that I can pull from later
    - If you don't already have it on your sheet: the personality, appearance, and 10 minute background of your character
    - Please remember to subscribe to both the IC and OOC threads
    Speaking in....Green, since I don't see that as taken.

wishlist....outside the obvious (better weapons and armor, a neck item) to keep up with the system, really rather blank for items. Thieves are a simple class with simply needs. Iron Armbands/Bracers of Mighty Striking for a little damage boost, Badge of the Berserker to free up movement, maybe Vanguard for when I can't get CA.

Token...whelp, might as well go with something distinctive, this will do.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    I see it was a good decision to get both enabling at-wills, and our area damage is having enough strikers to blast everyone. I like that we are set up for fast and furious fights, as that also removes some pressure from Zellas in this group of six in terms of heals (running out is less of an issue, that is).
    I do also have Ignition for some good at will area damage + zone

edit: If everyone could list their Melee Basic Attacks and Ranged Basic Attacks with attack modifier and damage, that would be great for your friendly neighborhood enabler.
    RBA: +7 vs Reflex, 1d12+7+1d6 damage
    MBA: +4 vs AC, 1d8+1

And for the RBA, I can also apply Escalation if I haven't used it

First post has been edited with my wishlist

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I think at the bottom I have Guardian listed as my back ground with the full text.
    You should repost all your fluff here. The recruitment thread won't be there forever.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Mine's listed on the left of my sheet, but just for attention's sake:
    MBA: +9, 2d4+7
    MBA with CA: +11, 2d4+2d6+8
    RBA: +9, 1d4+7
    RBA with CA: +11, 1d4+2d6+8

17. - Top - End - #17

MBA (Spear): +6 vs AC, 1d8+4 damage
    RBA (Javelin): +6 vs Reflex, 1d6+4 damage
    Beast Companion MBA (Claw): +6 vs AC, 1d6+4 damage

All of the damage could potentially be augmented by Hunter's Quarry (+1d6): "once per round, you or your beast companion deal extra damage to your quarry."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Makaria's MBA is Virtuous Strike, which unmodified by anything else is +8 vs. AC for 2d4+4 radiant (high crit with the falchion), which isn't great for a striker, but! With CA it's another +4 damage, and once per round if she has any THPs she can eat 4 damage to deal an additional 4 damage--and that right there is the kicker for her, since it triggers the second instance of fire damage from Hellish Rebuke (1d6+4 currently) if it's active. So on her AP turn of Warlock's Curse, Hellish Rebuke, and Janissary Charge Virtuous Strike she can generate up to 1d6+4+1d6+2d4+8+1d6+4 + another 4 with CA. It's predicated on hitting with Hellish Rebuke of course, but that's the plan.

And that's more than you wanted to know I'm sure. Feel free to roll for me if you grant me an attack, and if I have any THPs and Hellish Rebuke is active and I haven't used my Spirit of Vice yet that round, feel free to use it.

Oh, yeah, and no RBA for her, not at least until paragon.

Yup, Virtuous Strike deals radiant damage.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2017-08-29 at 01:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I like that Spirit of Vice+Hellish Rebuke combo. I was wondering what the draw of BG over Paladin/Cav was.

Anyways, token!
    http://imgur.com/a/W8A91

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dacia Brabant View Post
    Makaria's MBA is Virtuous Strike, which unmodified by anything else is +8 vs. AC for 2d4+4 radiant (high crit with the falchion), which isn't great for a striker, but! With CA it's another +4 damage, and once per round if she has any THPs she can eat 4 damage to deal an additional 4 damage--and that right there is the kicker for her, since it triggers the second instance of fire damage from Hellish Rebuke (1d6+4 currently) if it's active. So on her AP turn of Warlock's Curse, Hellish Rebuke, and Janissary Charge Virtuous Strike she can generate up to 1d6+4+1d6+2d4+8+1d6+4 + another 4 with CA. It's predicated on hitting with Hellish Rebuke of course, but that's the plan.
    Wait, second instance of Rebuke, I thought it only triggered the first time you took damage?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

@Ridai: you misunderstand: my fluff and background werenever in the thread. It's at the bottom of my character sheet, where there is a space for it.

@Kel: IIRC BGs are strikers, they get bonus damage in place of some of the defender stuff and can take extra smites in place of some powers.

@Dacia: I don't know if it's ironic or poetic that you're the one person my radiant mafia works with. :p

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

@Snowbluff: What I mean is that you have not added your 10 Minute Background to your sheet or this thread. That is still in the setup thread. There also seem to be no mentions of Background (as in the mechanical thing) or Theme anywhere.

@Necroticplague: "Second instance" probably refers to the triggered damage upon taking damage, with the first instance being the Hellish Rebuke attack itself.

It seems I am living the Taclord dream with this group. Every party member gives me an option for granting attacks, with Warlord Christmas also present in the form of Essentials Strikers (most notably/ludicrously a Fire Elementalist).

I've added a wishlist to my first post.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-08-29 at 03:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I like that Spirit of Vice+Hellish Rebuke combo. I was wondering what the draw of BG over Paladin/Cav was.
    Heh, yeah I've been itching to play it ever since I first learned of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Wait, second instance of Rebuke, I thought it only triggered the first time you took damage?
    Sorry for the confusion, when I said second instance I was referring to the first time taking damage. The first instance of it would be the actual hit.

@Kel: IIRC BGs are strikers, they get bonus damage in place of some of the defender stuff and can take extra smites in place of some powers.

@Dacia: I don't know if it's ironic or poetic that you're the one person my radiant mafia works with. :p
    Yeah, BGs aren't really that great as strikers past early heroic, though part of that is mitigated by their durability and by buying back the defender role with Ardent Strike (human or hybrid only). Where they really sing in their striker role though is as hybrids with a couple of other striker classes: Executioner, Ranger (Throw and Stab or with PMC/Half Elf shenanigans with DWA), and Warlock. At least on paper anyway.

And yeah, heh, that is rather ironic isn't it? Should make for some fun conversations between our characters.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2017-08-29 at 03:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I know BGs are strikers, the issue that most striker hybrids run into is not being able to use their striker features on the other half's powers (you can't do curse damage on blackguard attacks, and you can't use either Spirit of Vice or Dark Menace on warlock powers). I usually see people looking for hybrid paladin powers go for cavalier to grab Spirit of Valor for +4 initiative and +2 surge value

And yeah, Ridai, you must be positively giddy with this party

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

@ridai: huh? No mechanical background? Is the bottom section the MW 4e sheets an unmarked private notes section?

@Dacia: well maybe poetic, as we're both "Paladins" of one species or another.

@Kel: ah okay. I think executioner was the striker that would hybrid well with it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

@ridai: huh? No mechanical background? Is the bottom section the MW 4e sheets an unmarked private notes section?
    At the absolute bottom, in the box under the 'background and other notes' box? I would assume so, because that same section is the (labelled) private notes in the 3.5 sheets.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

@Kel: ah okay. I think executioner was the striker that would hybrid well with it.
    Yeah, exe has a striker feature that works on basic attacks, so it can apply it to things like Eldritch Strike to dip Exe damage and curse damage

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #28

@Hircine - Here's my avatars:

Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, exe has a striker feature that works on basic attacks, so it can apply it to things like Eldritch Strike to dip Exe damage and curse damage
    Well I meant BG and Execution, but yes that works l. XD

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

@Snowbluff: Yes, that box at the bottom is for private notes and doesn't show up for anyone but you.