New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Folding@Home

1. - Top - End - #421
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Folding@Home

Hmm... sounds pretty cool.
    LGBTAI
    (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transsexual/Transgendered All-Inclusive)

Avatar by myself! No longer accepting avatar requests.

Previous avatar by TinyMushroom. Despite her size, she will forever be the Queen of Mushrooms.

No one gets to tell you who you should be, not even yourself.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Death by DM View Post
    Hmm... sounds pretty cool.
    ...woah your avatar looks cool.

ION: A pixie in my Shin Megami Tensei Feng Shui game just rolled three sixs in a row. This, in DND terms, basically means she crit three times. She's a nameless mook that dies in one hit. But, she is the strongest nameless mook.

EDIT: Oh god I'm sorry I thought this was the RB thread >_>

While I'm here, what actually is this? I don't understand.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2013-09-01 at 10:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Here ya go:

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Thanks to a prompt from StickMan, I have created a Giant in the Playground team for Folding@Home!

For those who don't know what Folding@Home is, here is a brief run-down:
    In a nut shell, it is a distributed computing project working towards scientific research to prevent and cure disease. Basically, the researchers need a big giant computer to do some very complex mathematical calculations. That of course costs a lot of money, money they don't have as they are a non-profit organisation and all research will be published freely for everyone. So, instead, they organise thousands of people to have their personal computers run small fractions of the calculations in the computer's spare time, when it wouldn't be doing anything anyway.
    Short version, SCIENCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Banned

Imp

definitely going to do this.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Just installed and started running this. Joined your team too, although I might end up on another someday.
    "When the DM is smiling, it's already too late"

Paranoia is fun, other games are not; play paranoia (and also 3.5, I play that alot too)

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by NNescio
    "Of course all magic manipulates energy, First Law of Thermodynamics, duh!"

See, the thing is, energy in D&D does not mean the same thing as it does in Physics.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Found out about a couple of neat things yesterday and thought this would be a good spot to share them.

Foldit: Protein folding as a game, used for research purposes.

EteRNA: RNA folding as a game, also for research, where any new RNA chains made are created in lab to see how they work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks for showing me this! I can now say I donated to science! I also joined the GiantITP team, and it's impressive how much data we gathered in our team's life.

Right now, four of my CPUs are dedicated to research unless I'm away, when I use seven of eight. Every bit helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I tried to install Folding@Home, but even at the 'light' setting it's killing my computer. Hot enough to fry an egg on.

9. - Top - End - #429

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, I tried to install Folding@Home, but even at the 'light' setting it's killing my computer. Hot enough to fry an egg on.
    On your Advanced Control in the background apps, select Configure in the top right corner, go to Slots, choose ID 0, Edit, then select however many threads you want your CPU to use.

What processor do you use? I have an Intel i7 Quad-Core 2670-QM @ 2.20 GHz and eight CPU threads, and four is only causing a little fan over-time, and Medium isn't any worse.
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

10. - Top - End - #430

Joined. Though I'm only participating from a laptop and inconsistent internet access, but whatever I can do.

This is an awesome thing.
    Like RPGs? Like free stuff? Check out RPG-a-Month by Archfossil! Every month a new game and additional content and updates for the games already active.

RPG-a-Month for May : ACE - Assault, Control, Espionage

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Does it still run when the computer's in sleep mode? I generally close my laptop when I'm not using it so if that kills the process then I wouldn't exactly be of much use.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

So this is still a thing, right? Cause I just started, and I hope my computer's efforts aren't being wasted.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Firbolg in the Playground

The site is still updating with new completed computations, so it looks like it is still active.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Pixie in the Playground

i have done it beautifully.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Glad I was reminded of this project, I used to do it but it slowed down my computer to a crawl and I had to uninstall. Fortunately I now have a much better PC and it says ill be done with my first wu in about 4 days.
    Last edited by Hollow; 2016-08-08 at 11:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #436

I'm having a little trouble with my Work Units on my new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080.

Spoiler: Error message
    Show
    Code:
    09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:*********************** Log Started 2016-12-13T09:09:54Z ***********************
    09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Project: 9193 (Run 1, Clone 64, Gen 75)
    09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Unit: 0x00000079ab40415457cb2de1bac5a74a
    09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:CPU: 0x00000000000000000000000000000000
    09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Machine: 1
    09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Reading tar file core.xml
    09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Reading tar file system.xml
    09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Reading tar file integrator.xml
    09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Reading tar file state.xml
    09:09:55:WU02:FS01:0x21:Digital signatures verified
    09:09:55:WU02:FS01:0x21:Folding@home GPU Core21 Folding@home Core
    09:09:55:WU02:FS01:0x21:Version 0.0.17
    09:10:02:WU02:FS01:0x21:ERROR:exception: Error downloading array interactionCount: clEnqueueReadBuffer (-5)
    09:10:02:WU02:FS01:0x21:Saving result file logfile_01.txt
    09:10:02:WU02:FS01:0x21:Saving result file log.txt
    09:10:02:WU02:FS01:0x21:Folding@home Core Shutdown: BAD_WORK_UNIT
    09:10:05:WARNING:WU02:FS01:FahCore returned: BAD_WORK_UNIT (114 = 0x72)
    09:10:05:WU02:FS01:Sending unit results: id:02 state:SEND error:FAULTY project:9193 run:1 clone:64 gen:75 core:0x21 unit:0x00000079ab40415457cb2de1bac5a74a
    09:10:05:WU02:FS01:Uploading 2.39KiB to 171.64.65.84
    09:10:05:WU02:FS01:Connecting to 171.64.65.84:8080
    09:10:05:WU02:FS01:Upload complete
    09:10:05:WU02:FS01:Server responded WORK_ACK (400)
    09:10:05:WU02:FS01:Cleaning up

I'm getting this error every time I try to start a Work Unit on my GPU. If you need specs,

MSI ARMOR OC 8G GTX 1080
    8 GB GDDR5X
    1733 MHz
    Driver: 376.19
    Last edited by PallElendro; 2016-12-13 at 04:15 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Now I won't be wasting power by leaving the computer on idle thanks for mentioning it

does anyone know where I can find an explanation for what is happening in the visualization?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Nice, now my computer can accomplish something while I aimlessly trawl about the intertubes
    [joke.avi]

Spoiler: My peeps
    Show
    Teapot, #a52a2a brown, Gluteus_Maximus's Storm King's Thunder which has been discontinued
    Eel of Flowers, probably not going to see play

19. - Top - End - #439
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Found out about a couple of neat things yesterday and thought this would be a good spot to share them.

Foldit: Protein folding as a game, used for research purposes.

EteRNA: RNA folding as a game, also for research, where any new RNA chains made are created in lab to see how they work.
    To add to this, I also found Mozak, a game to basically reconstruct neurons, it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Call to adventure, story hooks, mentor that can be killed off as a call to action, it has everything!

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by m9p909 View Post
    does anyone know where I can find an explanation for what is happening in the visualization?
    This is almost exactly my field. How detailed an explanation do you want?

EDIT: Here, I tried to write a short one and failed.
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2017-05-26 at 07:09 PM.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Pixie in the Playground

Just downloaded it.

I got about 4 days and 4 hours till it finishes.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Well, I'm late to the party, but in only 15 days I'll have some work units for you!

(edit: looks like it's much faster than that, thank goodness. No usable GPU, but 8 cores..)
    Last edited by jay103; 2018-03-20 at 03:09 PM.
    Designer of Heroes & Treasure, a family-friendly FRPG featuring art by Erfworld's Xin Ye.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello there fellow GITP/OOTS fans :3
    Since there is this new "C" threat floating about, and we have a perfectly nice group still "active" here, how about i just.. kinda.. advertised this option a bit ^^
    Folding at home is now doing mostly "C" related, time sensitive projects, and has gained truly MASSIVE boost to its computational power over the last few weeks..
    about two weeks ago there was an article saying F@H now had more computational power than 7 of the most powerful supercomputers, COMBINED ..
    last week they had more than tripled the amount, and the total computation power is now nearing 2 EXAFLOPS.. this is truly remarkable
    and, as fate would have it, we are still, this ancient group we had here, still among the top 250 teams..
    lets see what us fantasy and rpg loving geeks and do about this level of a bossfight !!
    This Corona thing is basically the endgame bossfight with Xykon, to which we can all participate in as healers in the background to boost and give bonuses to hit dice to the real warriors, with our combined efforts.

So, since i know many of you must have adequate computers with graphix cards, what are you waiting for ?
    Call for adventure is NOW !
    And all you need to do is donate bit of electricity and your computers massive calculation power, when you are not using it yourself..
    it has NEVER been easier , to be an actual hero, and make a difference to everyones lives !!
    Join in NOW, and show that Lich he can't make us all stay at home forever.. and the longer he makes us..
    the more powerfull we become :3

With love and respect
    -Lyser-

24. - Top - End - #444
    Halfling in the Playground

This is really cool but I'm having trouble.

I have a Chromebook and the folding app is apparently no longer supported. Is there any other way to use f@h on a chromebook?
    I prefer to think of myself as yellow mold. Step on me, and I'll eventually rot your face off.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello There trtl, glad to see enthusiasm.. sadly it seems that supported folding software for Chrome OS have been discontinued since 2019... and most likely participating with chromebooks would be a hassle without installing pure linux on them or something...

And sadly, laptops, especially ones without any kind of graphix card, do perform quite poorly. Plus many smaller laptops are not properly cooled, and run the risk of overheating or thermal throttling.. so i would not advice to use chromebooks or any other not properly cooled laptop for such heavy duty continuous calculations... you do run a risk of damaging some hardware in the long run, if you run such hardware constantly at their limits..

that is, at least, my personal view and advice on it..
    Still, glad to see enthusiasm to join in and do your part ^^

With Love and Respect
    -Lyser-

26. - Top - End - #446
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyserdigi View Post
    Hello There trtl, glad to see enthusiasm.. sadly it seems that supported folding software for Chrome OS have been discontinued since 2019... and most likely participating with chromebooks would be a hassle without installing pure linux on them or something...

And sadly, laptops, especially ones without any kind of graphix card, do perform quite poorly. Plus many smaller laptops are not properly cooled, and run the risk of overheating or thermal throttling.. so i would not advice to use chromebooks or any other not properly cooled laptop for such heavy duty continuous calculations... you do run a risk of damaging some hardware in the long run, if you run such hardware constantly at their limits..

that is, at least, my personal view and advice on it..
    Still, glad to see enthusiasm to join in and do your part ^^

With Love and Respect
    -Lyser-
    This is big sad

Thanks though!
    I prefer to think of myself as yellow mold. Step on me, and I'll eventually rot your face off.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Very good - I have been looking for a team!

28. - Top - End - #448
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

They actually pay you for this now