New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: IC Shadows of Gallowspire

Dorrn

"Rarrgh!" Dorrn says as the tree flops to the side. He shakes his hair free from his eyes and focuses on the one tree remaining, Valeria caught in it's grasp. With a mighty leap he flies through the air bring his axe down overhead on the tree.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activate Primal Warriors Stance and Charge Tree 2, using the Furious Primal Wrath strike with Power Attack. End in between W and V, adjacent to Tree.

Survival check to avoid AoO.
    (1d20+18)[35]

Furious Primal Wrath w/ Power Attack
    Attack (1d20+24)[33]
    Damage (3d8+63)[83]

Primal Warrior's Stance: +1 size category for CMB/CMD, +2 sizes for weapon damage.

Dorrn
    HP 87/173
    AC 21

Active Effects: Haste, Prayer, Sickened, Raging [4/31]

Readied Maneuvers: Dizzying Blow, Furious Primal Wrath, Bloody Riposte, Momentum Crush, Cornered Frenzy Strike
    Expended Maneuvers: Dizzying Blow, Momentum Crush, Bloody Riposte, Furious Primal Wrath
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

With the last of the killer trees dead, you finally have a chance to catch your breath, clear your heads and examine your surroundings. Clearly, this is NOT the ruined fortress-monastery of Renchurch. It's a clearing in a wild forest with a creepy bone archway in the middle.

Spoiler: for Ward
    Show
    The archway is a Witchgate, the focus of a very large Teleport Trap effect. Any long-range teleportation within its area of effect is going to land you back in this clearing. You need to get far enough away before you can try teleporting again. The spell can easily be seen with Detect Magic, so it's trivial to check if you're still in range of the Witchgate.

The crows are circling the grey sky above you, clearly disappointed at not receiving a feast today.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

Sorry about the rough ride my friends. Apparently we fell prey to a teleport trap that diverted us to this place. This archway is what is called a Witchgate and is the focus of the trap. Until I can figure out a way to neutralize it we will be unable to teleport to anywhere but this grove.. Ward casts a spell of detection and studies the gate intently.

Spoiler: Witchgate Investigation
    Show
    Cast Detect Magic and study the Witchgate.

Can the Gate(s) be destroyed by physical means?
    Are there any other methods of disabling?
    Will a disable device work?

Knowledge Arcana check (1d20+26)[37] for knowledge of how to disable the magic powering the gate.
    Knowledge History check (1d20+24)[39] for historical references to how such devices were defeated.

Disable Device check to disable this gate/teleport trap if possible (1d20+29)[47]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

"Can't account for everything and we came out alright." Lethos shrugs as he cleans his weapons and collects his arrows. "Seems they don't care for unexpected visitors."
    Spoiler
    Show
    arrows are durable, so recovery is easy. Also has detect magic from racial

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

The Witchgates are not magic items as such, but focuses that are built during the creation of the warded zone. As such, the destruction of the Gate won't destroy the enchantment. A Dispel Magic spell might be able to temporarily disable the ward. The effect stretches beyond your ability to detect from this clearing.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

I cannot see a way to disable the Witchgates at this time. If we wish to Teleport later we will need to get out of range of the effect. For now I suggest we take a quick look around and see if we find any supplies left by previous victims of these cursed trees. Then we can journey onward towards Renchurch.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Search the area for loot.

Perception (1d20+32)[36]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos gives Ward a hand in his search.
    Spoiler
    Show
    auto-pass aid another for +2

8. - Top - End - #38

Dorrn

"Damn trees!" Dorrn says as he smashes the fallen trees a bit more. "Is EVERYTHING in this god-tainted country going to try and kill us?" He says and then looks around. "Huh. This wasn't where we were going, was it?"
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

"Unless our destination is cleverly disguised as trees, no, no it isn't." Lethos replies with rolling eyes.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

A quick search of the trees reveals nothing but bleached cloth and half-digested bones. The crows seem to be mocking you as they circle above, but at least the grey clouds have gone away, and the early midday sun looks hale and healthy.

Going north would probably put you closer to Renchurch, but also in mountains. Going south might take you further away, but to a river. Assuming that you're evn in Virlych province.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

I'm not sure where we are exactly. Kickshaw and I will see if we can spot any landmarks which may give us an indication of our location. With that he flies upwards above the treetops to look around. He casts a wary eye in the direction of the crows, ready to defend himself should they decide to swarm.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

In the sack of supplies, Dorrn finds a map of Virlych province (the province is a bit less than 100 miles across):

Renchurch in the foothills where the mountains meet the forest to the northwest. You are in a forest, with a river to the south and mountains to the north. As Ward and Kickshaw survery the area, they find nothing to indicate where the area of the Witchgate ends, but you find yourself in the curve of the southeast forest, about a mile from the inner edge.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

"We have some walking to do. Anyone need a moment before we head out?" Lethos queries, stowing his weapons once the are cleaned and his bruises faded.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't see the spire on the map but assume we know its general location

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

I believe our destination is to the northwest. We can either try to move directly there by going through the mountains to the north or we can travel south to the river and then follow it west and north. I would suggest south unless everyone has a means of flying.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos shrugs. "Rocks are little hindrance to me, but I can't speak for everyone."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

After sullenly staring at each other for what feels like an eternity, you finally shuffle southwards, planning to leave the forest and follow the river. A few hours later, you emerge from the forest. Free from the oppressive feeling of hidden eyes watching you, you stroll along the river, pausing occasionally to check if you've crossed the boundary of the teleport-diverging effect.

As the sun begins to set, you finally find yourself outside the influence of the Witchgate. What do you do?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos looks at the path ahead, frowning, "Probably best to walk rather than risk further interference with teleportation, right?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

Agreed. Ward nods in assent. The sun is beginning to set we should probably find a spot to camp for the night. Preferably outside the influence of the Witchgate.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

By the river, there are plenty of good camping spots. In your sack of supplies, you find a tent; it's a snug fit, but it will fit all of you. There's also supplies: cheeses, hard sausage, grains. With the river nearby, you have plenty of fresh water, and the forest provides fuel.

What do you do for watch shifts? Do you do anything in particular?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos takes one of the darker watches, his eyes better than a human's in the dark, though not equal to a dwarf's. He spends his watch fiddling with his gear, tweaking clasps and shifting straps, sharpening and oiling weapons, etc.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward will take the last watch and will prepare a meal for when the others awake. Kickshaw will stand guard over his master all night looking out of the tent opening with his darkvision and sensing the vibrations from his tremorsense.

22. - Top - End - #52

Dorrn

"It beats some of the places I've spent the night." Dorrn says as they settle into their campsite. "At least you can see the stars." He munches on some cheese as he sits against his pack. "You lot take an early rest, I'll stay up, make sure nothin' sneaks up on ya."

Spoiler
    Show
    Dorrn will take the first watch.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

In the middle of the night, Kickshaw wakes up Ward. "Master. Valeria went to check something out. She hasn't returned. I think I heard a scream".

Nep map. It's a moonlit night, and the light outside is dim. The squares with vegetation are difficult swampy terrain (the solid green squares are regular grass.covered terrain). It's a move action to get out of your bedroll, and you'll be squeezing until you leave the tent through the opening to the north.
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2017-10-22 at 04:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Wake up! Something is amiss... He says in a loud whisper. As he rises from his bedroll he gives Lethos a nudge and directs Kickshaw to do the same to Dornn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Get out of Bed
    Standard Action: Cast Invisibility if nudging is a free action.

25. - Top - End - #55

Dorrn

"Wha! No, I ordered the steak, not the...huh? Dorrn wakes up loudly, caught mid-dream. He thrashes out of his bed roll and stumbles out of the tent. "Whass the matter? Wheres breakfast?" He slurs, still half-asleep.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos rises silently, stringing his bow with practiced precision even as his mind tries to catch up with current events, slipping out of the tent.
    Spoiler
    Show
    move to stand, move to get clear, final disposition dependent on situation seen from outside the tent (LLV, detect magic constant effect)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the bogs surrounding the campsite, Lethos and Ward see the slumped form of someone, probably Valeria. Dorrn rubs at his eyes in the half-dark and sees nothing but the moon and a few clouds.

Spoiler: Lethos sees something more.
    Show
    Shadows swirl on the ground around Valeria. As far as you can tell? The undead, incorporeal, strength-draining kind.

28. - Top - End - #58

Dorrn

"There's you..." Dorrn says to Ward slowly. "...and the elf. Where's Val?" Dorrn asks. The silence of the night in answer sobers him awake and he reaches for his waraxe. "VAL!" He shouts at the top of his lungs. "Val, where are you?!" He yells, stumbling around the campsite.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2017-10-23 at 04:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward grabs his Haversack and steps out of the tent. Seeing the slumped figure he fears the worst and cries out. Valeria! Unsure of what danger has befallen the cleric he casts a protective barrier around her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Grab Haversack
    5ft step: Step outside tent
    Standard Action: Cast Resilient Sphere on what he assumes is Valeria's body.
    Last edited by VexingFool; 2017-10-24 at 12:56 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

"Undead, insubstantial of form. There!" Lethos points as he runs, stepping on air to gain height and readying his spear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    remainder of movement is going up at a 45° angle toward the undead.