New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Help with my future RPG future world

This is my world that I'm developing for my own roleplaying game. It is in the future and cut up into eras.

Here is my idea for what the future eras will be after the Information Age.

Era 1: Post-information Age
    -The immediate future. 20 or 30 years

Era 2: Fusion age
    -The advent of sustained fusion power leads to the end of fossil fuels and unlimited energy

Era 3: Nano age
    -Nanotechnology takes off and permeates every aspect of life

Era 4: Interstellar Age
    -Humans discover Faster-than-light travel and are able to explore the galaxy

Era 5: Intergalactic Age
    -Humans figure out how to transverse the intergalactic void and explore the universe

Era 6: Energy Age
    -Humans figure out how to convert themselves to pure energy. Omnipotence is achieved and humans live in their own designer universe.

Can someone think of 10 future technologies/inventions for each era? Thanks!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Help with my future RPG future world

OK, now this is world building. Maybe. Constructing a history sounds like world building, but it still depends on why you're doing it. If these six eras are just, figuratively speaking, spaces on a game board then we're still in game design. So what is this new game all about? Are the eras settings for play, role play or otherwise? I mean, does being in a particular age effect what one does or can do? Or are we talking about romping through the eras like a future-history version of Candy Land? From what little description you've given (in your other threads about this game) it sounds more like the latter.

Knowing more about the game might actually help in coming up with inventions that fit well. And you'll get more help if these threads are placed in the correct forum areas, not because people will refuse to help otherwise, but because getting it right will put the question in front of the interested people best able to contribute.

Era 1:
    • Improved energy storage, whether electrochemical, flywheels, or something else.
    • Better AI, and the constant redefinition of "intelligence" so that computers remain on the outside.

Era 2:
    • Improveder energy storage. This is needed because even with unlimited energy, a distribution grid anything like what we have will provide limited power. Many projects will need the ability to store huge amounts of energy locally and then release it rapidly.

Era 3:
    • Huge advances in chemistry and material science, as it becomes possible to build molecules atom by atom in configurations not previously achievable (as long as the result is stable).
    • Construction nanites.
    • Medical nanites.
    • Extraterrestrial colonies, enabled by terraforming nanites.
    • AI is finally so advanced that the machine "intelligence" is undeniable (Mr. Data).

Era 4:
    • Human extrasolar colonies, and abandonment of the older extraterrestrial ones, as planets around other stars offer much more attractive places to settle.
    • Interspecies war; humans may be the aggressors, the "aggressed against," or both on different occasions.

Era 5:
    • Bigger, badder Era 4

Era 6:
    • With phrases like "Omnipotence is achieved" and "designer universe," no one can possibly anticipate what will be invented. Even the notion of invention is obsolete.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.