New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Portable Hole suffocation

So I was reading the rules on the portable hole, because I was thinking about smuggling some people using one, and it says that it has enough air for 1 medium creature for 10 minutes... I thought to myself "Hang on, what do the suffocation rules say?" Upon looking, it says 6 hours for a 10x10x10 cube. Now a portable hole is decently close in size to a 10x10x10 cube, being 10ft deep and 6ft across. Upon calculating the exact numbers (10ft*3ft radius*3ft radius*pi) you get about 282 cubic feet, vs 1000 cubic feet in a 10x10x10 cube. Multiplying the percentage (28.2) by the duration (360 minutes), you get approximately 100 minutes of air, so it seems like someone accidentally lopped off a 0 somewhere along the line. Now, admittedly, a medium creature would take up more proportional space in a portable hole, displacing more air, but it seems like 10 minutes is really far off, unless I've messed up my calculation somewhere along the line?

Just looking for a sanity check here, I'm fairly sure I've got my numbers right, but I want someone to double check for me.
    Last edited by Crake; 2017-09-04 at 12:47 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Portable Hole suffocation

Well it must be a case of miscalculation on WoTC's part, its not uncommon. But raw is never wrong

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps the atmosphere is just thinner in a portable hole? We're not exactly given a thesis on the physics of extradimensional storage spaces.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

You'll notice that the Bag of Holding has the same 10 minute air supply. I believe it's simply the traditional number.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakevarg View Post
    Perhaps the atmosphere is just thinner in a portable hole? We're not exactly given a thesis on the physics of extradimensional storage spaces.
    Or maybe it has poor air exchange with the outside while it's open; so to get 100 minutes of air you'd have to leave it open for a while or give it a good shake
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drakevarg View Post
    Brilliant. The extradimensional space must have an air density proportional to that of the air outside of it divided by its size. For example, say a bag of holding's external volume is one tenth of its internal volume, then the air inside of it will maintain one tenth the density of the external atmosphere's air.

Realistically, the creators of these items probably didn't bother with the math regarding suffocation rules, and only added the 10-minute restriction to prevent people from using bags of holding and portable holes to smuggle people unnoticed into places they're not supposed to be. It falls into the category of, "It's magic, so we don't need to explain it."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Maybe the bag absorbs air for some reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The bags don't actually exist in their own dimension, but rather exist in between dimensions, where there is nothing but void, including nothingness. The portable hole opens up a small area of this dimension, contained with a magical veil of some sort. This place is so completely devoid of oxygen that the veil cannot stop it from leaking into the vacuum that it has created.
    Last edited by The Vagabond; 2017-09-04 at 07:58 PM.

GNU Terry Pratchett