New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris II: I, For One, Welcome Our New Robot Fungus Hivemind Overlords

anyone know if there's any way for Assimilators to ramp up their Cyborg growth rate?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris II: I, For One, Welcome Our New Robot Fungus Hivemind Overlords

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Not really going to be doing a whole lot of hiring after the initial portion of the game either, so it doesn't much matter, as long as you leave some of your initial race, or some iteration of the original race with all your leader bonuses.

I mean, there's the three scientists doing Research, plus two or three scientists in science ships, plus one admiral, plus maybe sector governor for sectors? That's really all the leaders you're going to need.

Also, having a second scientist right off the bat is mandatory, I think we can all agree. So what I do is immediately hire a new scientist, before looking at who to assign where for my three researchers. Anyone who has 'spark of genius' gets immediately slotted into one of those three, and if I have one available, I'll get it unless something like easier projects shows up for one of my roving scientists.

Also, another thing... explore with 'vettes, not with science ships! That way, if/when you run across something unpleasant, you have lost a 'vette, not a valuable scientist.
    I find that a dozen or so scientists assisting research are pretty necessary.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    You can't with synths, but with machine empires it'll simply be the template you started the game with - or whatever you modded that entire template into later.
    No, any template can produce leaders.

Having a leader-bot template doesn't work unless you are very careful which offered leaders you recruit and that means getting the actual trait you want (way more important than +2 levels) is more annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    Are torpedo boat corvettes worth using at all, against a cruiser/battleship-heavy fleet formation?
    No. If you want to use torpedoes, use them on cruisers.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I find that a dozen or so scientists assisting research are pretty necessary.
    But why?

Science is rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Also, another thing... explore with 'vettes, not with science ships! That way, if/when you run across something unpleasant, you have lost a 'vette, not a valuable scientist.
    Better to just take the scientist off a science ship and send that everywhere first. It gets to retreat in 10 days not 30 so it's more likely to survive, and you can just teleport your scientist to it if it's safe.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2017-10-13 at 04:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Science is rubbish.
    Unity isn't, though.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #275

Flumph

Unity isn't, though.
    Unity isn't (until you have all the good traditions when it is), but traditions which only produce unity to get more traditions with are.

The best value you get out of Assist Research is scientist levels.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Unity isn't (until you have all the good traditions when it is), but traditions which only produce unity to get more traditions with are.

The best value you get out of Assist Research is scientist levels.
    The assist research Unity value is one of the few exceptions. It currently provides more than a 5th of my total unity output and generally cuts 10-20 months off a tradition grab. Since you need unity-boosting traditions to pick up ascension perks anyways, it's a good deal.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

The assist research Unity value is one of the few exceptions. It currently provides more than a 5th of my total unity output and generally cuts 10-20 months off a tradition grab. Since you need unity-boosting traditions to pick up ascension perks anyways, it's a good deal.
    If assist research is that big a portion of your unity then you aren't unitying right.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

8. - Top - End - #278

Flumph

More to the point, you only need what, four traditions. Expansion, Prosperity, Supremacy, and Harmony.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    anyone know if there's any way for Assimilators to ramp up their Cyborg growth rate?
    Make them Rapid Breeders. That's it. But do keep in mind that each pop do cost 1 energy for maintenance when completed in place of food plus consumer goods. For me, I mad my assimilated starting race to be Intelligent/Thrifty/Conversationalist with the negative traits Sedentary/Unadaptive because I don't intend for that race to be leaving the home planet for any reason. I'd rather build robots everywhere that I can customize each design and varient to get bonus on each resource I need. For the homeworld, it will be mainly my original cyborgs for all the energy and science tiles on the planet, making robots only for mining bonus.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Make them Rapid Breeders. That's it. But do keep in mind that each pop do cost 1 energy for maintenance when completed in place of food plus consumer goods. For me, I mad my assimilated starting race to be Intelligent/Thrifty/Conversationalist with the negative traits Sedentary/Unadaptive because I don't intend for that race to be leaving the home planet for any reason. I'd rather build robots everywhere that I can customize each design and varient to get bonus on each resource I need. For the homeworld, it will be mainly my original cyborgs for all the energy and science tiles on the planet, making robots only for mining bonus.
    Plus you can get the additional bonus by terraforming to Machine Worlds if you don't have Cyborgs on the planet.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    If assist research is that big a portion of your unity then you aren't unitying right.
    How should I be "unitying right" then? The only unity building i'm not using is the spare parts depot. The Assist Research unity perk simply gives a massive amount of unity (but not, apparently, 2 per level - looks like more for higher levels). Aside from being rogue servitors from the beginning I'm not sure what you mean.

The real question is how much influence you should spend on leaders vs. expansion. Which probably falls more on expansion than I've got going.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2017-10-13 at 11:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Plus you can get the additional bonus by terraforming to Machine Worlds if you don't have Cyborgs on the planet.
    I do eventually turn my homeworld into a machine world, but that's after I have enough habitats for my cyborgs to migrate off to. Then I just load that full of power and I'm good to go!

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

How should I be "unitying right" then? The only unity building i'm not using is the spare parts depot. The Assist Research unity perk simply gives a massive amount of unity (but not, apparently, 2 per level - looks like more for higher levels). Aside from being rogue servitors from the beginning I'm not sure what you mean.

The real question is how much influence you should spend on leaders vs. expansion. Which probably falls more on expansion than I've got going.
    It doesn't give a 'massive amount', it gives 2 per scientist level (which is increased by any % unity bonuses you may have which also apply to any other unity you get).

By the time you're no longer exploring every individual world should be producing 1-3 unity from their Capital structure (depending on how big it is of course), +2 from a Gene Clinic upgrade, +4-6 from a unity building (depending on whether you have the Hypercomms forum researched), and +2 from an Energy Grid assuming you've maxed out prosperity.

So that's a total of +9-13 unity per planet for not even a unity focused race, depending on exactly what you researched. A full level 5 scientist only gives +10 unity at the cost of a huge amount of time to level him and significant influence.

If you're actually getting 20% of your unity from scientists then you have wasted way, WAY too much influence and not spent nearly enough on colonies.

A single Hypercomms forum produces the same unity as a level 3 scientist doing assist research with the tradition.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-10-14 at 02:02 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Plus, unless you are Determined Exterminators, you can talk to the artsy-fartsy enclave and purchase Unity buildings, something like 5k minerals for an 8 unity building? Plus if you kill the Netherdrake, you get the Dragon Killer Monument for... what was it, 15 unity? On top of the Energy for percentage to Unity.

If you are DE, well... unity is always going to be a bit of a struggle if you aren't actively exterminating at the moment. That's the downside of DE, which is otherwise stupidly insanely powerful. Well, that and potential diplomatic issues and early-ending due to being overwhelmed by a nearby advanced-start race.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, the wierdest thing just happened on the macro level.

I have a fresh install on a formatted computer.

Now, I expected to lose all my custom races and all, but what I DIDN'T expect is to lose my preset races too!

So, right now my empire list has three mod-created races, and nothing else.
    An oddity to be sure.

On the bright side, I get to play around with the empire creator a bit?

EDIT:
    Well, apperantly my empire creator is unstable as hell. keep crashing in different zones.
    Each time i crash, I try to turn off a few mods that MIGHT be SOMEHOW related, and try again.

Now, the fun part? I fixed ships, then city caused crash, tried to turn some stuff off to fix cities, and now ships crash again?
    And my preset races are back for no apparent reason?

GHA!
    Why on earth does ship selection cause a CTD when i disabled every single ship related mod?! what can POSSIBLY cause this!?

Ship appearance, and City appearance are the current guilty parties.
    Anyone has any clue what might be causing these two to act up? because I'm pretty sure I've disabled every mod that related to them.
    Might as well try to run a game and see if its stable in game...
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2017-10-14 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

multiple mods have a chance to make things unstable when added to a game which had a patch the other day ... more news at 11

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

It doesn't give a 'massive amount', it gives 2 per scientist level (which is increased by any % unity bonuses you may have which also apply to any other unity you get).

By the time you're no longer exploring every individual world should be producing 1-3 unity from their Capital structure (depending on how big it is of course), +2 from a Gene Clinic upgrade, +4-6 from a unity building (depending on whether you have the Hypercomms forum researched), and +2 from an Energy Grid assuming you've maxed out prosperity.

So that's a total of +9-13 unity per planet for not even a unity focused race, depending on exactly what you researched. A full level 5 scientist only gives +10 unity at the cost of a huge amount of time to level him and significant influence.

If you're actually getting 20% of your unity from scientists then you have wasted way, WAY too much influence and not spent nearly enough on colonies.

A single Hypercomms forum produces the same unity as a level 3 scientist doing assist research with the tradition.
    Except, and I have checked this, those numbers are inaccurate (and presumably bugged). What I've seen.

18. - Top - End - #288

Flumph

The unity you get from FiS also gets your planetary production boni.

The point remains though, that many of the traditions are not particularly worth having, especially the ones that are just "spend unity to get more unity", which is a worryingly large number of time. As a thing which you have to spend unity on, in order to be able to specifically do a thing which only serves to get you more unity, FiS is bad.

It's better to just take one of the good traditions instead that will actually help you win.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2017-10-14 at 02:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

The unity you get from FiS also gets your planetary production boni.
    No, I've checked this, and it's plainly not true.

As for unity vs other traditions, aside from immediately after grabbing this tradition you are always ahead on numbers of non-unity granting traditions by using Faith in Science, so you are absolutely wrong in that respect too.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Except, and I have checked this, those numbers are inaccurate (and presumably bugged). What I've seen.
    What you've seen is a dead link that nobody else has permission to see.

And no, you're not 'always ahead'. You get a paltry amount of unity without a massive influence investment, and even then it takes decades to cross the point where you make up for investing in a dead tradition that gave you more unity.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-10-14 at 02:59 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

21. - Top - End - #291

Flumph

And no, you're not 'always ahead'. You get a paltry amount of unity without a massive influence investment, and even then it takes decades to cross the point where you make up for investing in a dead tradition that gave you more unity.
    It's not even just a dead pick, it's four. You have to grind through four picks where arguably the only useful thing is leader XP gain and before that's useful you need lots of other things to boost the level cap as well. The whole Discovery tree is poor because, well, science is poor and that's mostly what it is.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Quoting because apparently you don't want to register your game to report bugs:

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian
    Running 1.8.2 135b, but this has been the case since Faith in Science was a thing. I have several science ships of varying level researchers Assisting Research, and only one of them is giving 2 per level (according to what is supposed to happen with Uplink Miniaturization). Tooltip seems accurate save for a 30% modifier that's being applied (I assume it's Materials Analysis). Easily duplicable, just send different scientists to assist research.

What I have available:

Level 9, 40% research, 36 Unity
    Level 8, 37% research, 30 Unity
    Level 7, 35% research, 24 Unity
    Level 6, 32% research, 19 Unity
    Level 5, 30% research, 15 Unity
    Level 4, 27% research, 11 Unity
    Level 3, 25% Research, 7 Unity
    Level 1, 20% Research, 2 unity

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    multiple mods have a chance to make things unstable when added to a game which had a patch the other day ... more news at 11
    Except my mods are 1.8.2, or pure cosmetics.
    Nothing that SHOULD cause such a crash.

And to make it wierder, the game itself seems to be completely stable. only the city apperance and ship apperance tabs in empire creation causes crashes.

But the wierdest? they two WORKED FINE, until I took away a few mods.
    So something broke it, but something else I had on fixed it and when I took out that second thing it broke again? wtf?

2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Except my mods are 1.8.2, or pure cosmetics.
    Nothing that SHOULD cause such a crash.

And to make it wierder, the game itself seems to be completely stable. only the city apperance and ship apperance tabs in empire creation causes crashes.

But the wierdest? they two WORKED FINE, until I took away a few mods.
    So something broke it, but something else I had on fixed it and when I took out that second thing it broke again? wtf?
    Well, I'd guess that it's a cosmetic mod that's causing your issues, what with city appearance and ship appearance being the effected tabs. What's custom there?

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

What happens if you remove all mods and run the game? If it works fine, then start adding 1 mod at a time until it starts crashing again.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

That would take much longer than just not modifying city and ship appearances.

The issue is, I'm pretty sure I turned off all mods that contain ships, cities and even races. Still can't track it down.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

My current game has hit it's first snag for a while.

My synthetically ascended fairy dragons have defeated two fallen empires and integrated their worlds into the empire, one spiritualist FE and one machine one. But sadly this has woken up some xenophobes off to the side of the galaxy. In an attempt to zerg them before they could start building up I declared war immediately to try and delay them because we shared no borders and they had no open borders.

Sadly they declared war on a shared neighbour in order to reach me. When my fleet got caught by theirs it was a slaughter. The battleships that wrecked the FE fleets was outnumbered and outgunned.

Fortunately they're in that slow stage of war where they move around a lot and don't do much invading, so I'm getting time to build a corvette armada to take them on. Supposedly corvettes are the most effective against their loadout. Lots of anti-large in their fleet and not much that works on high evasion targets.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

28. - Top - End - #298

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Fortunately they're in that slow stage of war where they move around a lot and don't do much invading, so I'm getting time to build a corvette armada to take them on. Supposedly corvettes are the most effective against their loadout. Lots of anti-large in their fleet and not much that works on high evasion targets.
    Not sure where you heard that, but you're running into 4x Small Autocannon on every one of their escorts and 4x Medium Gauss on their battlecruisers. Every escort will also have 4x Flak so you can forget getting any torpedoes through.

Armour stacked battleships, 90% armour, Lance/2KA/2LP. Only put shields on once you have reached 90% armour. 2 Decoder*>2 Crystal Plating>2 Shield Capacitor for your aux slots. That is the best design at killing Fallen Empires of any stripe.

No other ships. Just Battleships. Just that design. Crank them from every spaceport you have.

* Despite long being thought useless, this is actually really good on XL/L Battleships, and especially against Fallen Empires.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Fallen_empire#Ships is citing their current loadout as being primarily Large kinetic artillery, fighters/bombers and point defenses.

Might be out of date, but it's generally not steered me wrong in anti-FE loadouts before.

By this point I have over 300 anti-armour corvettes built anyway and only a small chunk of my old battleship fleet left. I'm basically going to zerg their home territory and see if I do much damage. They're in 3 wars at the moment and seem to have decided to camp over a world they have occupied for the past few years anyway.
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2017-10-15 at 05:33 PM.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

30. - Top - End - #300

Flumph

It is out of date. You can look at the actual designs in the text files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stellaris\common\glob al_ship_designs

Their Large ships are 1x Giga Cannon, 2x Kinetic Artillery, 4x Medium Gauss, their Small ships are 1x Kinetic Artillery, 4x Small Autocannon, 4x Flak Artillery.

(Edit: Site may not be out of date, may just be wrong. Almost no ships are described accurately. Closest are the Machine Empire ones but their Titan uses lasers not plasma and their other ships have Battleship/Destroyer computers.)

Anyway, read the back end of this thread for how to murder FEs.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...048858/page-11
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2017-10-15 at 06:23 PM.