New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris II: I, For One, Welcome Our New Robot Fungus Hivemind Overlords

Yep, it's droids for sure.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

Default Re: Stellaris II: I, For One, Welcome Our New Robot Fungus Hivemind Overlords

Sometimes Stellaris just get's up on the wrong side of bed.

It's 2371. I've only found 3 of the precursor quests. I've researched all the special ores and materials, but they're all on the other side of the map, except for the first 3 ones - satramene and what have you.

And I just got the Habitable Worlds Survey.

I mean, the two fallen empires have woken and gone to war. There are no worlds left to survey. Oh well =)

Edit: And I just got Reaching for the Orb. Again.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2017-09-17 at 05:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright so the patch officially drops on 21 September (Thursday). I am tentatively hopeful that the naked corvette will be found floating in a ditch after patch day.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

I've been watching every stream and youtube person who has access to Synthetic Dawn early and all I have to say is AUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!! Thursday can't come quick enoughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! !!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

I just want to point out that Heat Signature launches also tomorrow. Now, I don't do the thing where I support villainous Paradox by buying every tiny expansion they make - but even if I did, tomorrow I'd still be getting Heat Sig, and not Synthetic Dawn =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2017-09-19 at 11:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Alright so the patch officially drops on 21 September (Thursday). I am tentatively hopeful that the naked corvette will be found floating in a ditch after patch day.
    Given that they dedicated most of a dev diary to how they were going to change things so naked corvettes was no longer viable ...

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Given that they dedicated most of a dev diary to how they were going to change things so naked corvettes was no longer viable ...
    Doesn't always work.

I will be both amused and sad if, after experimenting and number crunching, the right answer still turns out to be naked corvettes.

(And then I'll build battleships anyway because the sound of Kinetic Artillery is just so satisfying.)
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah until I see concrete numbers I'm not believing it, the devs have been really bad at balancing overpowered builds and tech in previous patches. I still have hope though, its such a stupid strategy.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-09-20 at 04:17 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

early game have been slowed down significantly with the new patch ... you can no longer get discounts from Traditions to Mining/Research stations, Colony ships have raised in cost from 360 to 500, and Private Colony ships are no longer cheap as chips.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Colossus in the Playground

That sounds terribly boring.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

early game have been slowed down significantly with the new patch ... you can no longer get discounts from Traditions to Mining/Research stations, Colony ships have raised in cost from 360 to 500, and Private Colony ships are no longer cheap as chips.
    Uh... no, its exactly the opposite, early game is significantly faster.

Your base mineral income at the start of the game is increased +5 and with a Cold world start you generally have more minerals on your home planet.

I opened a new game and started at +17 on day 1. Even lucky games it took finding multiple quick minerals and spending hundreds on mining stations to get to +17.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Currently, machine empires that get the Menacing anomaly event and successfully terraform the world turn it into Machine Worlds, Ascencion Perk be damned. Fun!
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh... no, its exactly the opposite, early game is significantly faster.

Your base mineral income at the start of the game is increased +5 and with a Cold world start you generally have more minerals on your home planet.

I opened a new game and started at +17 on day 1. Even lucky games it took finding multiple quick minerals and spending hundreds on mining stations to get to +17.
    the increased base income makes it less bad sure, but even that early snowball barely makes up for paying 50% more for most of your Mining stations than you otherwise would have had

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

the increased base income makes it less bad sure, but even that early snowball barely makes up for paying 50% more for most of your Mining stations than you otherwise would have had
    The mining station tradition was not good to begin with, which is why they changed it. It was a pretty mediocre pick as the absolute FIRST pick you took, and if you took it at anything other than first pick it was one of the worst picks in the game, the buff was effectively useless and not even noticeable.

By the time you get your first tradition you've built most of the initial mining stations you can reach anyway. The paltry mineral reduction cost on stations was simply outshone by half the other traditions in the game as a first pick, even more now that you have more initial mineral income.

15% cost reduction on ships and buildings is much, MUCH better than mining stations at basically every stage of the game and is actually one of the better end game buffs now. '50% more for mining stations' is a really fancy way of saying '30 minerals more'.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-09-21 at 04:10 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    Doesn't always work.

I will be both amused and sad if, after experimenting and number crunching, the right answer still turns out to be naked corvettes.

(And then I'll build battleships anyway because the sound of Kinetic Artillery is just so satisfying.)
    The thing that's changed for naked corvettes is their effectiveness vs. other ship classes. Naked corvettes still beat equal mineral investment of most upgraded corvette designs because numbers matter but against what (though I have a suspicion that very slight upgrades might now be effective. Will test.)

I tested equal minerals of naked corvettes against what I suspect is now the new king of space and it was a horrible one slded slaughter. 50 cruisers vs. 384 corvettes and only 2 cruisers died.

The new king of space, as far as I can tell, is a heavily armoured missile cruiser. (Cruisers fighting point blank means point defence just doesn't have time to consistently work against large and medium tier 5 missiles).

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

I still don't have most of the DLC for this game, but I semi-recently played a multiplayer session with a friend who did and now I can't play without them. It's nefarious. Still, I might try to pick things up and learn them again.

Does anyone have some interesting combinations of traits they like to start with? Non-optimal stuff, I mean. I remember my first game I tried playing as ugly pacifists. It's a little harder to be a pacifist when the first response anyone has to you is "Kill it with fire!" It's problems like these that make an alien want to glass a planet and enslave the remaining population, you know? Pacifism is easy when everyone's either dead or working in your salt mines.

Anyway, how about those traits?

(Created by me. I should probably put that on there somewhere.)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreward View Post
    I still don't have most of the DLC for this game, but I semi-recently played a multiplayer session with a friend who did and now I can't play without them. It's nefarious. Still, I might try to pick things up and learn them again.

Does anyone have some interesting combinations of traits they like to start with? Non-optimal stuff, I mean. I remember my first game I tried playing as ugly pacifists. It's a little harder to be a pacifist when the first response anyone has to you is "Kill it with fire!" It's problems like these that make an alien want to glass a planet and enslave the remaining population, you know? Pacifism is easy when everyone's either dead or working in your salt mines.

Anyway, how about those traits?
    I mean I personally take Industrious and Very Strong for +15% and +10% minerals, but there are plenty of good traits that you can also do some roleplay with, if that's what you're looking for.

There's a full list here , and there are plenty of combos you can take that tell whatever story you'd like.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

I've been experimenting with an idea I had for a strategy and its working well. Made a pop that was thrifty and engineering focus while nonadaptave and start with robots on a dry planet. It's working great, you get droid tech relatively early on if you focus it and you have your original species colonize the dry, energy focused planets to pay for the robots that inhabit the cold mineral and food wet focused planets in not too long of time. I'm able to focus which resource I need the most of by planet type and choose between my original energy generating pop or my robots that have been templated to either food or minerals.

Still experimenting, but so far its promising.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

There's also one dude's pretty entertaining take on the patch notes here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/c...actually_mean/

Some selected quotes:

Reworked the old AI crisis that never fired into something hopefully functional.

Robot, droid, and synth pops are no longer made by Apple, and thus can be modified.

Reworked the way ships target other ships to be more 'sticky' Made all bridge crews dumber, so disruptors do not immediately retarget once enemy's shields are down, etc

Missiles are now literally smarter than bridge crews on disruptor ships.

Increased research output of both Passive and Active Butt-Probing on primitives.

It is now Possible to find a terraforming candidate again once you've forgotten where it was (up from Completely Impossible)

It's no longer possible to hire a firm to upgrade a ship type, and then keep changing the specs in google docs when they're not looking to get them to keep installing new **** for the same cost originally agreed upon.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

There's also one dude's pretty entertaining take on the patch notes here:
    Yeah, he does entertaining patch notes "translations" for all the games whenever they get a big update. Sometimes I honestly look forward to his version more than the official.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

This patch seems like a lot of fun, but I can't see myself playing it until some of the mods I consider mandatory get an update...

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    This patch seems like a lot of fun, but I can't see myself playing it until some of the mods I consider mandatory get an update...
    I've never been able to warp my head around feeling that mods feels mandatory to the degree that you'd feel that the game is unplayable without them

23. - Top - End - #83

"Wrap."

Not to speak for boomwolf, but I don't know why it's puzzling. There are always aspects of a game that someone wouldn't play without; sometimes those aspects of a game are made by people who aren't technically on the game's design team.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    sometimes those aspects of a game are made by people who aren't technically on the game's design team.
    Neither are the vast, vast majority of mod creators

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

So the game definitely plays a bit differently, especially in the mid game.

The much higher influence cost for colonies means that after a couple colonies you're kind of soft locked in terms of expansion after about 3-4 colonies (although it does mean that there's actually a reason to immediately research the 'XX Aliens' special projects for the influence bonus), and any government that holds elections you're basically at the mercy of the RNG for elected leader bonus because you can't really afford to spend influence on elections for a while. Seems like this basically artificially bottlenecks most empires so that a great mineral start doesn't give you the colony expansion advantage you had before. I'll have to experiment but it seems like the +Influence civics may be the best start now.

When they said AI was more aggressive - holy crap they meant it. AI was declaring wars on each other on cooldown and 2 empires were completely wiped off the map in the first 50 years of this game - and I literally don't remember EVER seeing an AI actually destroy another completely. None of them dared attack me because I was pretty far ahead, but a non-advanced start AI was actually comparable size (though not fleet power) to me at one point because they ate another AI.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-09-22 at 05:47 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

26. - Top - End - #86

Neither are the vast, vast majority of mod creators
    Okay, that doesn't even seem to relate to what I said but does serve to make your statement of incomprehension look a lot less like a statement of incomprehension and more like an expression of gratuitous hostility, so...have fun.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Okay, that doesn't even seem to relate to what I said but does serve to make your statement of incomprehension look a lot less like a statement of incomprehension and more like an expression of gratuitous hostility, so...have fun.
    Nah, me being tired (posted at 0:40) and utterly miscomprehending your post to suggesting the other way around, in that you complained that some aspects of the main game was created by people who weren't strictly part of the design team, however that works...

Point stilll stands in that I don't understand why it appears that people are dead set on that Mod developers are better at designing or balancing the game to the point where they would barely even consider giving the main game a fair chance. Total conversion mods that completely changes the setting (such as the Star Trek mod, or most famously GoT mod for CK2), I can somewhat understand, but otherwise...
    Last edited by Sian; 2017-09-23 at 02:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

The best game I played this year is Enderal - a total conversion of Skyrim. But other than that, I never touch mods for any reason. I'm not interested in what some random dude out there feels would be better in a game made by professionals.

I do see some point in mods that make it another game entirely. As an example, I'd be interested in a mod that changed Stellaris to more of a skirmish game - rather than the needlessly HUGE fleets of the endgame. Which, for one thing, my aging system can't handle. I also find it enormously dull. Consider, for instance, my last game: As usual, I was the biggest empire on the map - with the exception of that one AE that ate another FE early, and now had 450k fleet strength. By comparison, I could barely scrape together 140k. I would literally need to win the game by having 40% of the planets in order to have enough planets to rival that fleet strength.

That's just dumb.

I have not, however, looked for such a mod. I have no doubt something like that exists - but I trust it to be terrible =)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    The best game I played this year is Enderal - a total conversion of Skyrim. But other than that, I never touch mods for any reason. I'm not interested in what some random dude out there feels would be better in a game made by professionals.

I do see some point in mods that make it another game entirely. As an example, I'd be interested in a mod that changed Stellaris to more of a skirmish game - rather than the needlessly HUGE fleets of the endgame. Which, for one thing, my aging system can't handle. I also find it enormously dull. Consider, for instance, my last game: As usual, I was the biggest empire on the map - with the exception of that one AE that ate another FE early, and now had 450k fleet strength. By comparison, I could barely scrape together 140k. I would literally need to win the game by having 40% of the planets in order to have enough planets to rival that fleet strength.

That's just dumb.

I have not, however, looked for such a mod. I have no doubt something like that exists - but I trust it to be terrible =)
    There is a Star Trek mod that has a balance more similar to that. Many of the mods here are fairly high-level things; think less "random dudes feel they knew better than professionals", and more "professionals can't spend the time on certain things because cost/benefit". Like portrait modding, portraiture is fairly time-consuming and skilled, so portraits are expensive to put in, especially animated. So if a modder wants to put the time and skill into it, like Sylphen, then it's fantastic. Or for personal complaints like scale, like your complaint. Chances are some other modder has something similar, and has put out a 'fix' for it.

My personal thing is time-scale, which sucks because to modify it to make each game take longer to play is... a long and thorough process that makes compatibility with other mods hard.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

30. - Top - End - #90

Point stilll stands in that I don't understand why it appears that people are dead set on that Mod developers are better at designing or balancing the game to the point where they would barely even consider giving the main game a fair chance. Total conversion mods that completely changes the setting (such as the Star Trek mod, or most famously GoT mod for CK2), I can somewhat understand, but otherwise...
    Doesn't even have to be balance, though. There's a lot of small things that are just good ideas. Like, in Stellaris, there are various status icons on pops. In the base game, they all have the same colour. There's a mod that gives them different colours, so you can tell at a glance how bad they are. It's a good idea, so I install it. What's the problem with that?

Sometimes, it's also just things where it shows the game designer had different priorities. Like, Skyrim is a good game. But it shows that the menus were done for consoles more than PC. So I install a mod that changes font size to about five times smaller, puts more on each screen and gives more inventory sorting options. That's just a good thing for me. What's the problem with that?
    Resident Vancian Apologist