New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Banned

Default Re: Stellaris II: I, For One, Welcome Our New Robot Fungus Hivemind Overlords

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    So, did you have a shower or a bath?
    A shower =)

Yea, my fragile masculinity stands in stark opposition to my desire to bask luxuriously every morning in a tub full of nothing but foamy suds and lavender. Thank god my appartment doesn't have room for a bathtup, or this inner turmoil might tear me apart =D

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Banned

Default Re: Stellaris II: I, For One, Welcome Our New Robot Fungus Hivemind Overlords

Yet another tiny but weird bug.

One of my science ships sent that little ping that means 'I cannot find anymore systems to survey'.

So I click on it, to see where it currently is, and check if I can Experimental Subspace Navigate it somewhere else, where it can keep doing it's job.

Turns out, the neighboring system is unexplored.

Like, quite literally one jump away is an unexplored, risk-free system for it to survey. I can manually send it there to explore, but it cannot go there on auto explore.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ogre in the Playground

Might you have another science ship that have already ‘tagged’ the system as it’s next target?

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Might you have another science ship that have already ‘tagged’ the system as it’s next target?
    I had the same thought, and checked. Actually, I stopped the orders of my other two ships, then tried activating auto explore again, with the same result.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Was it possible to direct the science ship to the neighbouring system manually? There might have been another reason it wouldn't go (e.g. something like a hyperspace disruptor in the system it was in, forcing it to leave by the way it entered). If it would happily fly there when you tell it to, I got nothin'.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Was it possible to direct the science ship to the neighbouring system manually? There might have been another reason it wouldn't go (e.g. something like a hyperspace disruptor in the system it was in, forcing it to leave by the way it entered). If it would happily fly there when you tell it to, I got nothin'.
    Unclaimed by anyone, no hostiles. No idea what was going on there, though I do feel the path finding is often somewhat wonky. Never seen it quite this wonky before though. Like, one thing I noticed in this game too was a science ship on auto going out one cluster of stars, then not going to the last star in that cluster, but instead deciding to go across the galaxy and explore somewhere else instead.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Dwarf in the Playground

Auto-Exploration is borked for me when the system has had an owner at one point. Systems claimed by an end game crisis or the Khanate and then "liberated" get marked for me as unsurveyed, even if surveyed before by my ships.

So no Starbase without a science ship.

But they appear to be marked as explored, as far as Auto-Exploration goes, so usually the order cancels. Might it be that?

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GameMaster_Phil View Post
    Auto-Exploration is borked for me when the system has had an owner at one point. Systems claimed by an end game crisis or the Khanate and then "liberated" get marked for me as unsurveyed, even if surveyed before by my ships.

So no Starbase without a science ship.

But they appear to be marked as explored, as far as Auto-Exploration goes, so usually the order cancels. Might it be that?
    Could be something similar - but too early in the game for the reasons you mention. Btw, I call these things bugs, but ... I can't swear it's not just me missing some crucial detail. That's by no means unlike me =)

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ettin in the Playground

Recently got back into this. The QOL improvements really made the gamd better, and sector AI doesn't actively make me want to choke someone now. Also, I got my first win almost by accident.

Now if only there was actual peacetime things to do beside preparing for war.
    Last edited by Grif; 2018-09-11 at 10:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Now if only there was actual peacetime things to do beside preparing for war.
    This is a perennial problem with Paradox games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

What if there was a Endgame Crisis that wasn't military in nature? How might something like that work, in terms of an end-goal or obstacles? Just brainstorming, basically.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    What if there was a Endgame Crisis that wasn't military in nature? How might something like that work, in terms of an end-goal or obstacles? Just brainstorming, basically.
    That would probably require a winning condition that doesn't require war to begin with. Or a way for empires to take systems without war. Or even a way for systems to break away peacefully. (Large empire fracturing, for example.)

But in theory, you could have something like the Mass Effect dark matter crisis, where each empire needs to contribute science/minerals/energy to solve it lest you get a galaxy ending event. Can't imagine how engaging that might be though.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In principle you could easily have political swings that sweep the galaxy from time to time - or as an endgame crisis - with new factions springing up, possibly across several races. "It's the Dawn of a New Age as the Flesh and Blood Redemptionists gather across the galaxy, and their agenda gains wind!" Something like that. It might eventually spiral out of control and become a military crisis, but it might be something you could stamp out if you have, for instance, enough Influence to spare, so you can institute martial law across several planets.

Would be easy to do. Whether it would be fun - or just plain annoying - is another matter.

14. - Top - End - #1304

BlackDragon

I just binge-read the four dev diaries on the upcoming planet changes. Is it just me, or have they borrowed quite heavily from Civilisation VI when coming up with these ideas? It all seemed very reminiscent of the changes made to cities in Civ6.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    This is a perennial problem with Paradox games.
    CK2 is probably the least affected

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think the pop and planet changes are actually much more reminiscent of their earlier game Vic2. The division of pops with different goods requirement is especially similar there. About the only big real difference between them is the world market in Vic2 (although that’s busted as hell and makes no sense, so it’s likely a good thing).

I’m hoping this makes your empire a little more dynamic over time as managing happiness and whatnot slides out of player control a bit more.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

17. - Top - End - #1307

I certainly welcome things that reduce boring micromanagement. (Is there any mod that gives some kind of "automatically build mining plantforms" similar to auto-explore?) So, as far as I'm concerned, planet tiles can go die in a hole.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I certainly welcome things that reduce boring micromanagement. (Is there any mod that gives some kind of "automatically build mining plantforms" similar to auto-explore?) So, as far as I'm concerned, planet tiles can go die in a hole.
    Planet tiles would have had a place, if they were utilised for what they should have been - an abstracted planet-map, which could have been used to fight ground combat over. (Though the one-pop-one-building per was probably not helpful). As it was, they used them like in GalCiv, as just building slots, basically, so removing them isn't a loss.

I mean, though, you could essentially do exactly the same sort of abstraction using districts and slapping them on a tiled map (you'd just have, like, a maximum number of tiles on the map and start sticking more than one district per tile if you ran out) and essentially nodes for ground combat to fight over. Otherwise, there isn't really that much point in doing it.

19. - Top - End - #1309

Fair. I meant tiles as they currently are, not as map representations. You could of course still have a planet map made up of districts.

Still, this sounds quite exciting, useful trade has been one thing I've wanted to have for a long time.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2018-09-12 at 05:48 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1310

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    As it was, they used them like in GalCiv, as just building slots, basically, so removing them isn't a loss.
    There is a crucial difference there--the population of a planet in GalCiv 3 is not directly related to the number of tiles it has; you're limited on how many farms and entertainment buildings you can make, which indirectly limits the planet's population, but that doesn't actually stop you building some pretty large pop (and thus high tax) worlds on relatively small planets. Whereas in Stellaris the one tile = one pop mechanic made the planet size a hard cap on population size. What I would like to see with these changes is small planets actually being useful enough that you don't think, "Nah, I'll grab that one when I've got all the size 16+ ones I've found".

21. - Top - End - #1311

Well, planets being important because they are on trade routes is apparently a thing. So a small planet of artisans, clerks and traders as a trade post might work. Or when building tall, build a super-efficient administration planet, try to get all your resources from your farming robot outposts and from trade. Trade civics might be interesting too.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ettin in the Playground

Anything that simulates a civilian economy is a good thing in my book. It's sorely lacking in Stellaris thus far.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

They didn't get into trade a whole lot in their last set of dev diaries, but I'm interested to see how it will interact with war and crime. I'm also wondering if they are going to announce their next DLC soon since they finished the 4-part series on planet changes (which seem like the vast bulk of the free update).
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Titan in the Playground

There is a crucial difference there--the population of a planet in GalCiv 3 is not directly related to the number of tiles it has; you're limited on how many farms and entertainment buildings you can make, which indirectly limits the planet's population, but that doesn't actually stop you building some pretty large pop (and thus high tax) worlds on relatively small planets. Whereas in Stellaris the one tile = one pop mechanic made the planet size a hard cap on population size. What I would like to see with these changes is small planets actually being useful enough that you don't think, "Nah, I'll grab that one when I've got all the size 16+ ones I've found".
    That didn't help, no.

I am in agreement with the general feeling that dropping the tiles and going the direction they are going is by far the best thing. The tile, system, as I say could have been used to the game's advantage, but as it stood, it really wasn't being.

(And, for some reason, a fair number of people don't want ground combat at all, much less making it a more pivotal point of warfare - which I think it should be; threatening people with orbital bombardment only gets you so far, after all. if that is the only recourse you have. But it doesn't seem like PDX are especially interesting in fleshing that out better (improving beyond the load of cobblers it was originally, granted. Mind you, people seem to balk at the idea of a proper supply system (where supplies would have a travel time and such) too, because it would make it a particular sort of hard.)

25. - Top - End - #1315

It's a Paradox game. One of the next 20 DLCs will be a war update.

26. - Top - End - #1316

Flumph

Also the combination of tile, deposit, building, and pop traits has perennially been something the AI just can't cope with.

Even on the highest difficulty if you make it out of the first 30-40 years intact you'll blast past the AI's feeble economy and be the biggest baddest boy in town.

Though I think the thing I'm most looking forward to in the new version is the new approach to population growth and migration. Migration has been sad and rubbish for ages because pops hardly ever do it because they don't migrate unless their home is full and can't swap places with another pop, so multi-species empires don't get any kind of pop mixing unless you manually resettle, and anything that relies on ratios of different pops like syncretic evolution or determined servitors is too annoying and fiddly to bother with.

Sectors will autobuild mining platforms if they have space construction turned on.

27. - Top - End - #1317

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Migration has been sad and rubbish for ages because pops hardly ever do it because they don't migrate unless their home is full and can't swap places with another pop, so multi-species empires don't get any kind of pop mixing unless you manually resettle
    That's not my experience? I usually end up with nice, friendly, multi-species empires and often get a good mix of pops on my planets.

28. - Top - End - #1318

Flumph

I mean it used to happen when multiple pops could migrate to a planet at once. Like you could fill a size 25 gaia in about 10 years.

But the migration rate plus the fact there have to be no free tiles on the source planet and IIRC more than 5 on the target planet means that migration happens super slow and you might get one or two pops migrate in, and once a planet is full nothing can change.

Which won't happen in the new system because of population decline and planets being capped by housing, which may change throughout the game, not one pop per tile forever and ever.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Banned

I feel like planets fill up *way* faster the more species you have (that actually like the biome, of course).

30. - Top - End - #1320

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I feel like planets fill up *way* faster the more species you have (that actually like the biome, of course).
    Pretty sure that's because every organic species you have on the planet can have a separate growing pop, and there don't seem to be any growth speed penalties for having more than one growing pop at a time, so the planet will naturally fill faster.