New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default OOTS #1096 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1096 - The Discussion Thread

Roy's right. He's so right it hurts. This kind of maneuver never works where prophecies are concerned. But if the High Priest had simply told Durkon he would indeed have stayed away. Moreover Durkon would have been spared decades of loneliness and pain.

It will be interesting how this revelation will effect Durkon when he learns of it. Ironically I can see Durkon rejoicing at the news once he gets it: "There was a reason? Thor be praised!"
    Last edited by Basement Cat; 2017-09-05 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Roy does make a very good point here.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Aw, this one's kind of sweet. In a weird way.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

No surprise.

But good to get it out in the open...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Yep, 1 point to Roy
    "This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-story crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'" - Captain Blackadder

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Oh wow. I don't know why, but just a few lines of dialogue from Roy seemed to better highlight Durkon's anguish for me better than the flashbacks shown to us so far. It's a pretty good testament to how well Durkon's onscreen stoicism and overall positive attitude has been portrayed. I mean, it makes sense that he'd be torn up inside, but I always got the feeling that he'd long ago made genuine peace with it. Maybe he hadn't.

This little bit of dialogue also made me realise the depths of Roy's friendship with Durkon; it's pretty clearly on a much deeper level than the other friendships in the group.

Damn. I love this writing!
    Last edited by GudBelkarIsGud; 2017-09-05 at 12:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by endiku View Post
    No surprise.

But good to get it out in the open...
    Well, no surprise to the maybe 10% of readers who bought and read On The Origin of PCs or hang around on the forums enough to pick up spoilers.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Roy's last observation is as poignant as anything the Giant has written so far. Well played.
    That's my opinion and if you don't like it, well, I have others - Groucho Marx

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I really like how Roy has grown a distaste for prophecies.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #11

Zombie

mad Re: OOTS #1096 - The Discussion Thread

Roy's right. Durkon would've obliterated himself, just to make it zero chance for the prophecy ever be fulfilled. Whether that would count as a honorable death would be unconsequential to Durkon.

But *WE* know that.

You know how a liar expects everyone to be a liar, and a traitor expects everyone to be a traitor? That tells you who the former high priest of thor was. He probably would've expect for Durkon to blackmail the city, threatening it with simply returning, or something like that.

Here's to hoping he dies in disgrace, Thor strips him of his powers, and that Garm gets a former high priest of thor as chewing toy after all.
    Last edited by ironkid; 2017-09-05 at 12:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ironkid View Post
    Roy's right. Durkon would've obliterated himself, just to make it zero chance for the prophecy ever be fulfilled. Whether that would count as a honorable death would be unconsequential to Durkon.

But *WE* know that.

You know how a liar expects everyone to be a liar, and a traitor expects everyone to be a traitor? That tells you who the former high priest of thor was. He probably would've expect for Durkon to blackmail the city, threatening it with simply returning, or something like that.

Here's to hoping he dies in disgrace, Thor strips him of his powers, and that Garm gets a former high priest of thor as chewing toy after all.
    Pretty sure he is already dead.

13. - Top - End - #13

The old high priest already died, several hundred comics ago. But yes, this was the worst possible way to go about things.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ironkid View Post
    I suppose this is all meant to be past tense, given that the current High Priest is different.

Still, yeah, revelations that are only revelations to people who don't know the character. Roy's right - Durkon would have done it all to himself anyway, if it would protect someone. But that's always the greatest tragedy about these things - the naturally good have to be forced away, but the naturally evil must be kept close to stop prophecies from occurring. And they're always set in motion by those who seek to stall them.
    Everything you have heard is a LIE!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

What's funny about this comic is that it more or less reiterated what everyone has been saying on the forum for a few weeks now. Though I think Roy put it in much better terms.

"Break his own leg kicking his butt out the door." I might have to find an excuse to use that one day...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's a wonderful character-driven strip.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Even Belkar's expression is a little miffed here.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I call this the "Wheel of Time problem", whereby good characters mess up by not sharing important information until it is too late.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

That last line made me laugh a bit too hard.

So been thinking this for a while, but the prophecy said when he returns home, why didn't they just forbid him from ever leaving in the first place? Never leave, never have to return.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I always thought Hurak's reasoning was faulty-- if you know Durkon is lawful enough to never come back if you tell him, you ought to know that that would hold true even if you told him the truth. (Especially as Good as he is, too, not just Lawful.)

Anyway, I love how this is all coming together-- that the party finally knows the real story of why Durkon was exiled. I am sure it will come up again once the Order confronts the vampire.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    So been thinking this for a while, but the prophecy said when he returns home, why didn't they just forbid him from ever leaving in the first place? Never leave, never have to return.
    Hurak had concluded at the time that something would have eventually forced Durkon to leave, no matter how much they tried to prevent it.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-09-05 at 12:52 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I disagree with Roy.

Durkon breaking his leg to kick himself out the door would impede his ability to leave faster.

23. - Top - End - #23

BarbarianGuy

I'm akin to believe that this new evidence will come about during Roy VS Durkula and Roy will tell him, if my buddy Durkon is in there and can hear me, yadda yadda yadda. Durkon will hear this inside and Durkula is gonna be pretty much up that one creek without a paddle.
    Last edited by IDrankWHAT; 2017-09-05 at 12:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    I disagree with Roy.

Durkon breaking his leg to kick himself out the door would impede his ability to leave faster.

Then again, even if he did break it, he would probably just heal it back anyway!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

And Roy has no idea that the real Durkon is still in there fighting as best he can.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Personally makes me wish that Hurak is in Hel's Hell, because of what he did. I get he was trying to delay the prophecy, but it was still such a poor way to handle things, especially towards someone as devout and lawful as poor Durkon.

The bastard got lucky dying before the rest of the dwarven lands were doomed, so I expect a punchline where all the afterlife dwarves stare at him in contempt as he says something sheepish like "Uh... opps?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's really nice to see Roy speak up for the Durkon-that-was. And terribly painful for him to come to the conclusion that Durkon's life was "exactly as unfair as he always feared it was."

Last time the issue of resurrecting Durkon came up, Roy made the painful but necessary determination that they can't prioritize Durkon over the world. I kind of hope that this story nudges Roy to decide that he's going to get his friend back, one way or the other.
    Even the wind will know agony.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Yeah, I always thought Hurak's reasoning was faulty-- if you know Durkon is lawful enough to never come back if you tell him, you ought to know that that would hold true even if you told him the truth. (Especially as Good as he is, too, not just Lawful.)

Anyway, I love how this is all coming together-- that the party finally knows the real story of why Durkon was exiled. I am sure it will come up again once the Order confronts the vampire.
    Now we just need Roy to tell everyone what The High Priestess of Thor told him about Durkon no longer being banished.

Great strip, Giant. Thanks!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

LOL Great title for this one! That's a first!
    "I'll see you on the road!"

AntiHeroes - Not worth the banner any more.

DragonCon 2013: August 30 - September 2

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Durkon's a better man than I. He'd exile himself; I'd just say "k, then I won't leave".

So maybe not necessarily better as much as less lazy...