The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [4E] Valiant Hearts (IC)

Valiant Hearts In Character Thread

When you arrive at the Valiant Hearts guild house you expect that after a brief interview and display of your abilities you'll be allowed to join. Instead your interviewer leads you into the guild’s crowded and raucous dining hall for an informal inquiry. After a handful of ancillary questions you're whisked off one by one to the guild's outdoor training grounds where a small group of other prospects is currently standing around. As each of you falls into line you recognize one or two of the other hopefuls trying to join the Valiant Hearts. A short time later an eladrin man emerges from the guild hall and makes his way over to you. He stands silently for a while, seemingly sizing up the lot of you.

Once his inspection is complete he respectfully inclines his head to you before assuming a more formal stance. "My name is Vethdarai Sirothian, talent evaluator and head trainer for Valiant Hearts. Unlike some other guilds you'll have to actually earn your place here. Over the next couple of weeks I'll be gauging whether or not you'd be a good fit for this outfit. The challenges ahead won’t judge you solely on your martial prowess or arcane brilliance. Those who wish to make it into this guild must also exhibit courage, determination, and a fiery passion. Prepare yourselves to be taxed to your physical and mental limits. To those who've found what I've said to this point disconcerting I'd advise you to leave now because it only gets tougher from here." he states while motioning towards the door you emerged from earlier.

A gaunt longtooth shifter dressed in dirty rags and an oversized cloak slumps his shoulder and slinks away. Moments later an elven woman and a dragonborn also start making their way over to the exit. Two burly men clad in heavy chainmail whisper something to one another before trudging off.

Vethdarai carefully watches each prospect leave from the corner of his eye. His full attention then quickly shifts back to those of you that remain. "Now that the faint of heart have been weeded out we can begin the evaluation process in earnest. The rest of the day is yours to do what you wish, but I expect you all back here tomorrow morning at six sharp. If you're late you'll be dismissed immediately, no exceptions."

He turns to his left and points out a squalid shack on the edge of the training grounds, "If you don't have a place to sleep feel free to use our initiate quarters and should you require nourishment the dining hall will be open to you. All other areas of the Valiant Hearts guild are restricted unless in the company of another member. Those caught breaking this rule will be expelled and a formal complaint will be lodged with the Fallcrest guard."

With that said he offers you a slight wave as he begins heading back to the guild hall, "Until tomorrow!"

The next two weeks are replete with long, grueling days spent competing in Vethdarai's sadistic boot camp. At the end of each day the eladrin would dismiss one or two hopefuls he felt didn't have what it took to join the guild. Though you encounter prospects more accomplished than yourselves with a wealth of experience and abilities to lean on, it's the six of you that preserve to reach the competition's conclusion.

The morning following your triumph Vethdarai is waiting for you, a sly grin played across his lips. "You are certainly to be commended for making it this far, however there is one final hurdle you must overcome before you'll be permitted to join our guild. Now I'm sure you're already wondering what sort of diabolically difficult task I've come up with. Fortunately for you I’m not in charge of conducting this trial our guildmaster, Zilfan will have that honor. Please follow me.", he asks as he starts towards the guild hall.

Vethdarai holds the door allowing you all to enter the dining hall ahead of him. He teleports from your side over to the bar where he begins conversing with a diminutive figure sitting on the counter.

After a few minutes you see the eladrin waving for you to come over. As you're crossing the room several guild members set their mugs down to offer a few words of encouragement. A table of card players also briefly looks up from their game to size you up. The majority of the raucous hall takes no notice of your passing, in favor of watching one of the two brawls going on or participating in the countless ear splitting conversations. Upon reaching the bar Vethdarai holds up a hand for you to stay where you are.

Gesturing to the figure you now discern as a gnome he says, "This is Valiant Hearts Guildmaster Zilfan Ricks. I trust you will show him with the utmost respect."

"Now, now, Veth there's no need to coddle me. I'm fully capable of taking care of myself."

"Of course, master."

Zilfan is an older gnome with a darker complexion from decades of extended sun exposure. His forehead is layered in thick creases from years of stress. He keeps his white hair slicked back and tied in a short ponytail. The gnome's thick beard and handlebar mustache are immaculately maintained with nary a hair out of place. His attire comprises of a starweave robe dyed gold and orange with the Valiant Hearts emblem emblazoned on the chest.

Raising the wooden tankard beside him Zilfan drains what's left and sets it back down. "Rosealinde if you would be so kind as to pour an old gnome another drink."

After taking care of another patron the barwoman makes her way over, an uneasy look in her eye. "I don't think you should be drinking this heavily so early, master."

"Bah! You worry too much my dear.", he states with a disarming wave. "Plus it's already after midday."

With a raised eyebrow she responds, "It's only half past eight."

The gnome coughs into his hand clearly embarrassed. "Ahem! Well I uh… of course am aware of what time it is."

Rosealinde moves back to the other end of the bar clearly satisfied with herself. Vethdarai, who has been silent quickly leans over and whispers something into the guildmaster's ear. He promptly perks up, acknowledging your presence.

"I'm sure you're eager to find out what your final test entails, but I believe introductions are in order. You already know who I am so why don't you tell me your names and a little bit about yourselves?"

Spoiler: Perception DC 15
    Show

Above you on the second floor balcony there is a towering half-orc decked out in hide armor with a wicked looking greataxe strapped to his back glaring down at you. Leaning on the balcony railing a good distance from the half-orc is an enchanting half-elf woman with short dark hair. She is adorned in dyed sky blue and white wyvernscale armor with a dark blue cape draped over her shoulders.
    Spoiler: Insight DC 17
    Show
    You can’t be sure from her stony countenance, but you get the sense she is observing your group with great interest.

Last edited by Hircine; 2017-09-07 at 08:18 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Valiant Hearts (IC)

Zellas is in high spirits. Though he never doubted Viola's wisdom, he was dreading that the Valiant Hearts would be as lazy as Willem's bunch. Luckily, that is not the case, and paradoxically, he drags himself away from the training site every evening with the biggest grin as the last to leave, and arrives first in the morning, having reviewed the many mental notes taken in the time in between. So when it sounds like they'll be stepping things up even further, since they'll now get a task from the guildmaster, Zellas is walking with a bit of a spring in his sore steps, which doesn't really fit his bulky, hide-armored frame. The jovial responses to the encouragement are also accompanied by noticing something further up and raising a hand, because he learned that is what landfolk does to greet landfolk in polite-ish company (the universal means of communication, the extended middle finger, being reserved for more souped up folk and bar fights).

"Hello, I'm Zellas, I come from the sea, swam here, pushed, carried, and stacked boxes, pissed off a snobby git, aaand here I am, looking for some quality work." Casually insulting Willem in hindsight might be a bit much, but "snobby git" is what he has been filed under and Zellas is quite beyond caring in this moment.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception (1d20+1)[17]
    Insight (if applicable) (1d20+1)[6]
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-09-07 at 06:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Iolian, the Fire Soul

Unlike Zellas, Iolian was usually among the first to leave and last to arrive to the training sessions, though usually because he was busy putting on performances in the common area. He'd made a fair amount of silver and copper for his performances and, in his mind, staying in practice was worth some of Vethdarai's scorn. When the old gnome asks for their tales, he laughs.
    "How long do you have, elder? Give me the time, and I can spin you a tale to make you weep, rage, and laugh. Possibly all at once."
    He bows floridly before straightening, his voice taking on the steady rhythm of a bard.
    "He is Iolian, the Soul of Flame. Son of a fallen angel and a harmless thief, who flew so high in the pursuit of the angel that he was burned-"
    His hand passes over the brand marring his face, in the shape of a silhouetted dagger raised over his left eye
    "-before he could find her. Driven from the hearth, he wanders the land seeking fuel to stoke the fires that will one day bring him back to the angel who bore him."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    The brand would be similar to
    https://thumb9.shutterstock.com/disp...d-75051535.jpg
    with it being roughly a right angle where the hand is on his brow and the knife goes onto his cheek. The dagger in the brand is a bit more wavy and ornate, but the picture displays the angle
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #4

Spoiler: Taking stock of the surroundings
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+6)[12]
    EDIT: I forgot to add +4 to the perception roll from the bonus my animal familiar gives, so the Perception roll should total 16
    Insight: (1d20+1)[12]
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2017-09-07 at 08:52 AM.
    ᕕ( ՞ ᗜ ՞ )ᕗ Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay
    Valiant Hearts PBP | Agdin | OOC | IC
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #5

Spoiler: Taking stock for Gobbleshanks
    Show
    Gobbleshanks Perception: (1d20+1)[12]
    Gobbleshanks Insight: (1d20-2)[-1]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Makaria

Makaria's solidly purple eyes took in as much of these new surroundings as they could before settling on the guildmaster, who was not at all what she had expected.

Her attention strayed warily upward as this Zilfan argued with the barmaid over his drinking habits, but that wariness gave way to a smile at whatever it was she saw before Zellas' familiar voice brought her focus back down to ground level.

"More like snobby, lecherous git," she interjected coldly, and was about to introduce herself when "the fiery guy" launched into a sudden story.

"Huh, that's interesting, he has the same name as you," she stated flatly after Iolian had finished his tale, and from her expression, and the way she said it, it wasn't immediately clear whether she was serious. She quickly turned to face the guildmaster.

"So, I'm Makaria, I'm what you call a tiefling. I too am a stranger here in search of honorable employment. For what it's worth I've enjoyed the workout your trainer here has offered, and I'm looking forward to something a bit more strenuous."

Spoiler: Successful Perception
    Show

The wary look was for the half-orc, while the smile was for the half-elf.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

7. - Top - End - #7

Agdin, Gobbleshanks, & Overyn

Agdin, a halfling young man, smiled, a little relieved to see someone else his own size. An enormous dire turkey, named Gobbleshanks, stands beside Agdin, cocking his head this way and that to silently glance back and forth between Agdin and Zilfan. Agdin steps forward and makes a couple quick gestures with his left hand. Gobbleshanks lurches forward to remain beside Agdin. Agdin hears a soft hoot and looks up to see a looming half-orc and towering half-elf on the balcony.

More tall-folk. That sounds about right, Agdin sarcastically thinks to himself.

Gobbleshanks notices Agdin looking up and follows his gaze to the half-orc with a MASSIVE axe strapped to his back. Gobbleshanks’ entire body tenses and his eyes narrow as he glares up at the foul axe-wielder. He comes to a stop and adopts a stance of anticipation, continuing to glare at the half-orc.

Agdin returns his attention to Zilfan. Agdin closes the gap between himself and Zilfan and deftly grabs the gnome’s hand to shake it vigorously and quickly starts blurting out words. "My turn then! An honor to meet you, Zil! Mind if I join you in a drink? Do you have a spare cup? My name is Agdin and this here –" Agdin is cut off by an earsplitting squawk. Gobbleshanks raises his wings in a threatening manner and squaks again at the half-orc. "SHUT IT, SHANKS!" Agdin shouts, "Not everyone with an axe wants to take your head off! Though now I'm considering it..." Gobbleshanks finally breaks his stare to look at Agdin. Gobbleshanks refuses to lower his wings, moves to stand beside Agdin, and resumes his silent staring contest with the half-orc.

Agdin, realizing he hasn’t released Zilfan’s hand, does so and continues to spout words out in short order while making another gesture with his hand. "This here," Agdin says as he points at the looming dire turkey, "this is my feather-brained friend and battle partner, Gobbleshanks." A large owl suddenly and deftly lands on Agdin’s shoulder. "And this is Overyn, my other feathered friend, though the opposite of feather-brained if I do say so. We’ve travelled far to join your fair organization, sir. We’re hoping to find some real use for our talents aside from package delivery. Though let me tell you, we’re mind-blowingly good at delivering packages. We’re the dream team of package delivery, ya know? But now, we’re gonna be the dream team of hack and slash and scratch and screech and I’m rambling and I’m going to stop now."

Overyn suddenly lunges forward, straight at Zilfan’s head, snatches a beetle out of the air in her beak, then swoops skyward in a flash of feathers, just barely avoiding a collision with Zilfan's face. As one of Overyn’s feathers comes to rest on top of Zilfan’s head, Gobbleshanks lets out a menacing sounding squawk again at the half-orc. Agdin mindlessly rubs his temples with a hand for a second before lowering his hand and adding with a cheery tone, "Also, we make reeeeeally good first impressions. The best. No one better." Agdin flashes Zilfan his best smile.
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2017-09-07 at 10:22 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The werewolf's introduction is exemplary of her relatively terse nature as she speaks a few short sentences. She takes a step forward to stand out to the Guildmaster.
    "Kanska, former alpha of the Watchful Den pack, formerly of the Black Fang pack. Might have noticed form the last weeks, a lycanthrope. Formerly militiamen, more formerly raider, seeking continuity of use of skills."
    Having said her small piece, she then steps back to watch the more colorful compatriots with interest.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Priscilla

"Yes, yes, quite," says the Deva. She's wearing a suit of scale armor, whose scale glisten in the sun. Over it, she is wearing a scarb that is also wrapped over her lower face. Her hair is black, fashioned into many braid. Her eyes are a milky white, and she has strange facial markings on what can be see of her face. "I am Priscilla, Paladin of..." Her voice trails off as she touched her head in thought. "Pelor, that's right, Pelor. Sorry, sometimes I forget. Anyway, I'm friends with Zellas. We go back as far as I remember."
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

10. - Top - End - #10

Agdin, Iolian Kanska, Makaria, Priscilla, Zellas --- [Valiant Heart's Headquarters - Dining Hall]

Zilfan is somewhat startled by the halfling's overeagerness to meet him. He takes a moment to compose himself and collect the owl feather resting on his head. The gnome twirls the plume in his hands a few times before gently blowing it away.

"You're quite a lively bunch, aren't you.",
    he expresses with a chuckle.

Without a word the gnome produces a hand carved wooden pipe from within his robes and a pouch on his belt to begin the tedious preparation needed to smoke. He carefully unties the bag, pinches a handful of tobacco, and gently packs the bowl of the pipe. This process repeats itself until the pipe is full of tobacco. Raising the smoking apparatus to his lips he puss on it several times. Confident that enough air is getting through he ignites his pointer finger and runs it over the bowl in a circular motion until the contents catch fire. Several quick puffs in succession are taken to ensure he has an even light of the tobacco. Satisfied that the job is done he settles in to enjoy the fruits of his labor. As smoke clouds waft about you catch the distinctive aroma of baked apples.

Zilfan sits in quiet contemplation for a time savoring the experience. He suddenly removes the pipe from his lips, allowing a long plume of smoke to escape his lips. "Sorry about that. I routinely have an early morning smoke around this time. Ah, of course, please excuse my lack of manners. If you'd like a drink just ask Rosalinde and she'll set you up with whatever you'd like. And don't worry about the tab it's on me.", he says with a wink.

Turning to the eladrin he exclaims, "It's quite an unusual group of applicants you've brought me this time, Veth."

The guildmaster's piercing gaze then falls onto Makaria. "You're not the first tiefling I've had the pleasure of meeting in my lifetime miss, I came into contact with your people fairly regularly while adventuring across Tusar with my compatriots. Though there is an air of secrecy shrouding you that concerns me greatly. It's of course not my place to pry but if you'd ever like someone to talk to I guarantee everyone here myself including is willing to lend a sympathetic ear."

He gives his pipe a couple of quick puffs to keep the fire from going out before continuing, "With that bit of unpleasantness out of the way I'll tell you what your final test entai-"

"THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, OLD MAN!!!", a voice bellows so loudly that the entire dining hall falls silent. Your attention promptly shifts to the towering half-orc standing on the second floor. Having clearly lost all reason he slams his fists into the wooden balcony railing so hard that the wood fragments. "OUR GUILD HAS BECOME A LAUGHINGSTOCK IN RECENT YEARS SO YOUR ANSWER IS TO BRING IN MORE STRAYS THAT CAN'T FIGHT! I WATCHED THIS PATHETIC GROUP OF ADVENTURERS ON THE TRAINING FIELD AND SAW NOTHING WARRANTING AN OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN THIS STORIED ORGANIZATION. MAYBE IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO STEP DOWN BECAUSE YOU'VE CLEARLY LOST THE EDGE THAT MADE YOU A GREAT GUILDMASTER!!!"

Zilfan remained completely unfazed by his subordinates tirade until that taunt at the end. Standing up on the counter top, he wheels around to face the half-orc, his demeanor completely different from when he was conversing with you. "If you truly believe I'm unfit for the job of guildmaster why don't you come down here and challenge me for the position."

His skin turns pallid while beads of sweat form across his body as he realizes what he's done. Placing his arms at his sides he bows to Zilfan. "I beg your pardon, master. I allowed anger to cloud my mind which was clearly a mistake. I hope you can forgive this obvious lapse in judgment."

You'll be paying for the damage you caused around here, I assume?"

"Of course, master."

"Then we're good. Just don't let it happen again.", he conveys matter of frankly before turning around and sitting back down on the edge of the bar. "As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, your final test will have you taking a request from our board or the one in town and completing it as a team. Now I'm sure you're wondering why I'd ask you to work together when our guild prides itself on letting its members make their own decisions. There are times when cooperation between our members is required so it's imperative that I know whether you can handle working in unity with others. After this assignment ends those of you who make it into the guild will of course be free to go out on your own or team up with someone else. If you have any questions my second-in-command Rosalinde should be able to help you."

Zilfan hops off the counter and heads upstairs with Vethdarai in tow.

Spoiler: History DC 10
    Show
    It takes a few minutes but you recognize the name Zilfan from historical accounts of the Second Bloodspear War. His adventuring group known as Dawn of Honor fought valiantly beside the Lord Warden's army until the war's conclusion.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2017-09-11 at 03:19 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, that sounds quite nice," Zellas assesses the prospect of working with the others, and his showing big teeth seem to agree. As Zilfan leaves, the genasi calls after him "Alternate sips of water and liquor. Brings out the flavor more." Should the gnome or the eladrin look back to him, they see a helpful thumbs up encouraging to try.

With that piece of wisdom out of the way, Zellas rubs his hands like he's presented with a lovely five course meal, free samples of the bar's hidden treasures, and a little card saying "Sure hope your home's downhill from here". "Aye, this is going to be great! So, where's the board?" he asks Rosalinde.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Given Zellas has a +9 in History, the check is an auto-success.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Iolian the Fire Soul

Iolian lets out a chuckle as the half orc is forced to back down. As the group approaches the guildhall, he looks around at the others
    "The gnome certainly knows how to throw his weight around. And then some, if the smell of the big guy's pants was anything to go by."

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Makaria

Makaria barely batted an eye at Zilfan's "bit of unpleasantness," though inwardly it raised her hackles that even here she would be singled out for mistrust. She was more surprised by the half-orc's bellowing, or at least at the target of his ire--she was sure the halfling's antics with his menagerie would have set off what was clearly the guild's enforcer--but when he was so quickly put in his place she had to admit the guildmaster had gained her respect.

She smiled knowingly at her binge-drinking friend, and couldn't help but let out a muted chuckle at the Fire Soul's observation.

"Be that as it may, I suggest we steer clear of that one. I've seen his type before, bad news. But I wonder who the lady is?" she wondered absently before motioning to Rosalinde. "Have you any hot tea, miss?"

14. - Top - End - #14

Agdin, Gobbleshanks, & Overyn

Since Rosalinde came to attend to the rest of the team's needs, Agdin adds to the orders. "A pint of your best morning ale, please. A real pint, mind you, not some sort of small pint that you think is proper-sized."

Gobbleshanks finally lowers his wings are breaks off his glare with the half-orc. He turns to Rosalinde and issues a grotesque sounding screech, then turns towards Agdin after watching Rosalinde recoil. Agdin shakes his head, then replies to his companion, "What, really? Even after last time? Fine, fine." Turning back to Rosalinde, Agdin adds "Could you fill a glass with corn, then dump some whiskey in there?"

Overyn circles overhead, keeping a keen eye out for both her master and for more tasty beetle morsels. Agdin looks up at the owl briefly and smiles, wishing he could see what she could from up there. Agdin lets his mind drift for a moment, then returns to the present. "Say, does anyone know where this request board is?"

15. - Top - End - #15

Agdin, Iolian Kanska, Makaria, Priscilla, Zellas --- [Valiant Heart's Headquarters - Dining Hall]

Rosalinde sets the mug she was cleaning underneath the counter and points to a large wooden board in the corner past the bar. "I sincerely hope you don't take the opportunity to accept a contract on behalf of Valiant Hearts lightly. And while you're not officially members of our guild yet your actions as agents of this organization will affect how we're viewed across the Vale. Know that I nor anyone here will tolerate you bringing dishonor to this great institution."
    , she asserts forcefully. Blowing a lock of hair out of her face she places her elbows on the bar and lets out an exasperated sigh. "Though I must admit I'm a little jealous you get to go out on an assignment. Due to my position I only get to take on a handful of contracts every year. Ah well, no use getting down in the dumps about it."

Springing to her feet with newfound bliss she approaches Makaria, "We have an expansive list of flavors for you to choose from. Currently we have peach, blackberry, ginger, caramel apple, cinnamon, vanilla, and an imported peppermint tea available." While waiting for the the tiefling's order she pours a large mug of ale for Agdin and sends for someone in the kitchen to bring some corn for the turkey. Once a member of the staff emerges with a bucket of corn she pours a generous amount of whiskey over it before setting it in front of Grobbleshanks. She watches the bird with a raised eyebrow and a bemused look.

Spoiler: Valiant Heart's Guildhall Map
    Show
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Hircine; 2017-09-13 at 09:54 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Always good to see Makaria smile and he mirrors the gesture in a more amplified way. Good omen for things ahead and for the group. That and he always felt she had too little opportunity to do so in the past. Good things happening, with the bit of shouting seemingly not having registered at all with the weird genasi.

Quote Originally Posted by Hircine View Post
    "I sincerely hope you don't take the opportunity to accept a contract on behalf of Valiant Hearts lightly. And while you're not officially members of our guild yet your actions as agents of this organization will affect how we're viewed across the Vale. Know that I nor anyone here will tolerate you bringing dishonor to this great institution."
    Zellas' brow does a little dance as the middle furrows while the sides quirk, gaze shifting in confusion for a moment. "Do... do people here think slaying monsters and making people not starve, suffer, or die is a joke?"
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-09-14 at 06:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Priscila

The Deva gasps in horror. "Ms. Rosalinde, is this true?! I would never dishonor a noble duty such as this. Who would?"
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Makaria

"Hmm, peppermint sounds like the spiciest so I'll have that," she replied, still smiling, though what she had to say next was anything but humorous. "And I wouldn't worry too much about our actions, miss. Once we're outside these walls, we'll be lucky if anyone in this... Vale tolerates us. One exotic being is a novelty, two is an oddity, but four? Five? Six if you count the big bird? They won't know what to do with us. That's why all the fuss, am I right miss?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Iolian the Fire Soul

Iolian grins at Rosealinde.
    "Don't worry lovely, I have no intention of embarrassing this fine guild. If I did, I'd hardly have gone through the stuffy eladrin's training regimen now, would I?"
    He twirls his staff in a flashy motion.
    "Anyways, might as well have a drink while we decide on our first mission. If you're brewing up a peppermint tea, I'll take a glass."
    He heads over to check out the requests board while Rosealinde makes the tea.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Kanska
    With the chewing-out over not-yet misconduct, Kanska just bows her head slightly in acknowlegement. "Wouldn't dream of it." Out of a habit developed from a lifetime watching her back, she skips out on alcohol, milquetoastingly draining a mug of water in practically one go.

And then, towards the part-angel who seems to find the ensemble unusual "Maybe I've spent to little time within this general location to know much, but what's odd about this group, beyond how much our lifespans just shortened?"

21. - Top - End - #21

Agdin, Gobbleshanks, Overyn

Adgin takes a drink from Rosealinde, and opens his mouth to thank her when a loud hoot emanates from across the room, drawing his attention. Overyn is sitting atop a board littered with papers tacked to it. "Ah... now how did I miss that thingy in the corner," Adgin says Gobbleshanks. The massive bird raises his head from his delightful bucket of corn whiskey and a healthy amount of the mess sloshes down the side of his neck. Gobbleshanks angles his head at Agdin in a bemused manner, then simply returns to eat/drinking the concoction. "Well there's no need to rub it in mate. Congrats for paying attention... alright. If you're so bright, let's go have a look then, eh?" Agden chugs his drink and moves towards the board in the corner of the room while the others converse with the delightful, yet unfortunately tall, Rosealinde.
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2017-09-15 at 11:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Rosalinde's mood darkens at the mention of this seemingly touchy subject. She leans on the counter and takes a deep breath to center herself. "In years past Master Zilfan allowed anyone with talent and a passion for adventuring to join without inquiring into their background first. There were those who took advantage of the master's kind and trusting that would go on to greatly damage this guild's reputation. They sold secrets, offered illegal services, and sabotaged our operation by purposely failing contracts. Though a few of us became aware of these bad apples, the master seemed to turn a blind eye to what was happening right under his nose. Things got so bad that the Vale Council was forced step in with an ultimatum. Clean house or Valiant Hearts would lose its status as a legal guild and have to disband. Those who still believed in what this place stood for promptly banded together to banish the traitors who jeopardized our home. To this day we still haven't been able to fully cleanse the stink from the guild's reputation. Time may have passed but the scars from that episode are still fresh, that's why no one here is willing to tolerate this great place being dragged through the mud again. I'm sorry if I offended you, but we're far more wary of newcomers these days."

Standing up she brushes a few wrinkles out of her dress before turning and glaring at Iolian. "Call me lovely again and we're going to have problem.", she growls. After this sudden outburst Rosalinde's cheery disposition resurfaces. "Now, about that tea." She calls over a server heading into the kitchen to put a pot of peppermint tea on.

Those of you investigating the request board find several interesting jobs worthy of consideration.

Gray Bandit Bounty
    Spoiler
    Show
    To whom it may concern a vile band of bandits led by three halfing brothers have been raiding Halfmoon caravans to and from Fallcrest for the last two months. These brigands are wanted dead or alive for the crimes of kidnapping, murder, robbery, and animal cruelty. It's also believed that these fiends are holding captives at their hideout for ransom. A bonus will be paid for their safe return or proof they have been killed. For more information please speak with Guard Captain Nathan Faringary and Selarund Halfmoon.

--Fallcrest Guard

Forest Marauders

Spoiler
    Show
    Please help us! For months farmsteads across the countryside have been razed by a band of murderous marauders. These savages burn the homes, salt the land, slaughter the livestock, and put anyone living there to the sword. We've asked the city guard for more protection but their additional patrols have done nothing to deter more attacks. We're not wealthy but have pooled our meager coin together in the hopes someone can find these brigands and put a stop to their raids.

--Eder Vusk

Missing Miners
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last month a dwarf named Kavalar Coppernight arrived in the town of Ten Trees with a sizable entourage of soldiers and miners from Hammerfast. They stayed the night before heading out to an abandoned mining site a few miles from town. Every couple of days they'd come back into town for a meal or some supplies until their visits stopped about a week ago. We didn't think anything of it at first but after awhile a couple of local militiamen were sent to find out what happened. Obviously they haven't returned and their families are worried some dastardly fate has befallen them. As town mayor I've been asked to hire a group of capable sellswords to find out what's going on at that mine.

--Ten Trees Mayor Nerle Welfer

Squatters Must Be Evicted
    Spoiler
    Show
    My father passed away recently. In his will he left me the deed to his tower in the woods. Naturally curious about what I inherited I went out to inspect this piece of property. Shortly after my arrival I was set upon by an armored band of thugs who claimed they'd shed blood for the tower so it was there's. I tried to explain that the land they were so rudely trespassing on was legally mine, and if they agreed to leave without making a scene I wouldn't press charges. These brutes laughed at me while firing arrows and hooting foul language in my direction. Seeing as negotiations with those dullards fell on deaf ears my only recourse was retreat, lest I be killed. I'm willing to pay handsomely for the removal of those vagrants. If you'd like to discuss the details of this job further I'm currently staying at the Silver Unicorn Inn in Fallcrest.

--Arromar Redraven

At this time the server reenters the dining hall with a tray holding a teapot, saucers, teacups, spoons, and a sugar bowl. He sets it down on the counter then quickly returns to the kitchen.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2017-09-20 at 04:47 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Iolian the Fire Soul

Iolian puts his hands up in a gesture of surrender.
    "I simply tell things like they are. No need to make up tales when the truth beggars belief."

Looking over the jobs on the board, Iolian taps out the Gray Bandit Bounty and the Missing Miners contract.
    "Of what we have, I'd rather take one of these. The others mention forests, and trees tend to go alight when you throw around as much fire as I do. Might lead to one of the incidents Lady Rosealinde was asking for us to avoid."

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Zellas' brow is starting to cast a serious shadow as he listens, his mouth becoming a wide, pursed line. "I will never understand why people make each others' lives so difficult. Bunch of bell-ends."

Looking at the available contracts, Zellas is beginning to sound like someone wants him to pick between his children. "I'd like to do those two, but I also want to do the Forest contract. All of these need the guild's help and soon. The caravans are an important supply line for the region, which is dangerous enough as is, while the marauders are heavily impacting the region's morale and ability to feed itself. And that is even before we account for the loss of life and the sheer tragedy involved! Speaking of which, so is leaving families in lasting uncertainty about their loved ones. Argh!" Zellas balls his fists, eyes darting back and forth between the three contracts, not even paying a lick of attention to the tower one, pressing out between agonized decision noises: "Nrgh, I wish I could split myself into three! But taking all would be irresponsible as all hell. Gotta find groups to handle whatever we don't pick, these people need help, hrm..."

It is uncertain whether Zellas is still aware of the group. A filled teacup finds its way to his mouth, is emptied in one go without stopping to let it cool and is set back down. It is unclear whether Zellas noticed doing that either.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-09-21 at 01:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Makaria

"I'm sure they have their reasons, Zellas--well, maybe not reasons, rationalizations," Makaria stated, then self-corrected. "The line between sellsword and bandit can be a thin one."

After fixing herself a cup of tea, she wandered over to the job board to get a look at what the others were discussing and, once she'd reviewed them she had a thought.

"Hrm. Couldn't we just start at the top of the list and work our way down?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

The suggestion seems to snap Zellas out of it for a moment. "That we could. But we'd need to get them done fast. If the missing miners are still alive, time might be running out for them quick. Actually, the mine contract might get done the quickest, since we know where to look. We really need more information about where those bandits and those marauders strike. Maybe we tackle all that in a curve, one after another, cutting down travel time. We'll definitely need horses."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Kanska
    After wolfing down a good quantity of her own water, the werewolf speaks somewhat in contrast to her recent companion. "Mines aren't a good place to fight in, if we need to. Hard to see, no real place to hide, and no way out if there's a collapse or flank. Forest marauders' seems like a safer first bet. Forest is good for fleeing and sneaking up, and they can't be too competent if they're resorting to picking on farmers. Lack of directions' troubling, though. "

28. - Top - End - #28

Seeing you studying the request board incenses the half-orc, spurring him into action. He stomps downstairs, making a beeline right for you. Towering menacingly over Zellas, he taps the Genasi on the shoulder. Once he has your attention he folds his arms, offering you a toothy grin. "If you really want to prove yourselves to me and the master why not pass on these pathetic contracts and take one from the second floor. Of course the jobs upstairs are far more difficult, but from the high praise Vethdarai heaped on you earlier I think you can handle it. Unless you're scared.", he utters mockingly.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2017-09-24 at 05:53 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Iolian the Fire Soul

Iolian looks over at the half orc.
    "Really now? And why do they keep all the interesting jobs up on the second floor? Is it so the guild's elderly don't have to go far from their quarters to look at the jobs they would have taken if they weren't bust resting on their laurels?"
    He bows extravagantly
    "I'm Iolian, by the way. Wandering storyteller, hopeful guild member, and full time smart ass. The first one is free, but if you keep giving me openings like that I'm going to have to start charging you."

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Priscilla!

Priscilla is offended, but her face mask may make that diffiricult to tell. “I am Priscilla! I am a paladin, and Paladins fear nothing. Your feeble effort to cow me will not be tolerated!” She pouts.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy to come off as cute (1d20+9)[16]