New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Nickname for Irma

When Hurricane Wilma hit back in '05 we called it Wilma the Witch, now we are definately getting sacked by Irma nad I can't for the life of me thin up a good nickname, please help (I am in South Florida and there is NO doubt we ae going to get it).
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Nickname for Irma

Irma-geddon, perhaps?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Irmahgerd?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

+1 to both suggestions so far.

On a serious note, everyone in the path, please take care and be safe.

One of our big offices (for the company I work for) is in coastal SW FL, so we have employees who live all over that area. Kinda worried about them right now.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-09-07 at 08:42 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Irma-geddon, perhaps?
    Doh! How simple, makes me wonder where my brain is these days.

TY
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Irma from accounting

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

+1 on irma-geddon. stay safe floridians!!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Aunt Irma.

... no wait, that's taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

While this study has several rebuttals, such as this one , there WAS a study awhile ago which suggested that female-named hurricanes killed more people than ones named after males did, because (stupid) people take them less seriously.

So *I* think Hurricanes should get gut-wrenchingly scary names , names which make you shake like a leaf just to hear them, so that people will subconsciously get the message loud and clear:

GET.

OUT.

So maybe we need names like..

Hurricane Apocalypse
    Hurricane Baalzebub
    Hurricane Cataclysm
    Hurricane Destruction
    Hurricane Eternal Damnation
    Hurricane Ferocious
    Hurricane Genocide
    Hurricane Hell's Fury

and for the I's ...

Hurricane Immediate Death
    Hurricane Immolation
    Hurricane Impact
    Hurricane Incredible Hulk
    Hurricane Instakill

Whaddaya think?

Maybe , maybe if we did something like that we woudln't have to Arrest people who literally don't have the sense to come in out of the rain .

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2017-09-09 at 04:40 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

What is the basis of naming storms in the US, anyways? Here in Finland we have namedays, so a storm will be named after the nameday. Latest was storm Kiira (feminine), and the storm on boxing day was Tapaninpäivän myrsky - Tapani's day's storm (masculine). We call boxing day Tapaninpäivä since it's Tapani's nameday.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

In the US, names are taken from a list, and every new storm that goes above Tropical Depression status gets a name from the list, and they just go down the list.

IIRC, it started when some guy named hurricanes after people he hated.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    In the US, names are taken from a list, and every new storm that goes above Tropical Depression status gets a name from the list, and they just go down the list.

IIRC, it started when some guy named hurricanes after people he hated.
    They'll reuse them, too, (they have six lists and rotate the list every year) but they get taken off the list if they do enough damage to be memorable, basically.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Remember that scene from Armageddon? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZc4IBy0pSY
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #14

Further, the names go in alphabetical order in the US (with different lists for the Atlantic and Pacific, so two alphabetical lists really), so you can tell how many named storms have happened so far that year by what the current one is named. The names alternate male and female on each list (with a different starting gender for Pacific and Atlantic), and then start with the other gender the next year. They have a multi-year list for each region and then loop it after a few years, but replace names of particularly notable storms with new once before that list gets re-used (we won't get another K-storm named Katrina for a really long time, for example).

We don't really celebrate name days in the US. We do in my family (because we're descended from people from Sweden and most of us have names from the Swedish list), but no one outside of my family has ever recognized my name day (which, to be fair, is ONLY on the Swedish list). Most people haven't even heard of name days until I mention them, and then hit the internet to see if they have one too.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

So if we hit by huricane zantana then how many huricanes that made can someone count for us
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    So if we hit by huricane zantana then how many huricanes that made can someone count for us
    After that it'd be Hurricane A-aron
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

They did run out of names in the 2005 hurricane season, and they just switched to Greek letters for filler.
    Spoiler: things in which I used to be involved before i was claimed by the great pestilence of exams
    Show
    The One Sane Drow (Vergil: Drow Sorcerer 5, CN)
    The Uprise (IC/OOC) (Ker'anson: Drow Arcane Spellcaster 4, NE)

Running Total Of Things I've Critically Hit That Jormengand Didn't Want Me To Critically Hit: 3

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodean_ View Post
    They did run out of names in the 2005 hurricane season, and they just switched to Greek letters for filler.
    I notice that Q, U, X, Y, and Z don't get personal names - probably because those are too rare as names?

It would be interesting to see a Hurricane Zachary, or a Hurricane Yvette, or other oddball names - but it would appear that under the current system that's not possible.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-09-10 at 04:32 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I notice that Q, U, X, Y, and Z don't get personal names - probably because those are too rare as names?

It would be interesting to see a Hurricane Zachary, or a Hurricane Yvette, or other oddball names - but it would appear that under the current system that's not possible.
    agree. haha. glad someone noticed that too. and I think it's quite difficult to name anything starting with Q and X. lmao

20. - Top - End - #20

RedKnightGirl

Hurricane **** YOU I survived.

I was in Sint Maartin. I have seen devastation. I am thankful to be alive right now.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JakiHere View Post
    agree. haha. glad someone noticed that too. and I think it's quite difficult to name anything starting with Q and X. lmao

Quentin
    Quintus
    Quincy
    Queeny

Xanthe
    Xavier
    'Xander (Ok, that one's cheating)
    Xykon

22. - Top - End - #22

Or from TV shows:

Qyburn

Xena

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quetzelcoatl (because nothing can possibly go wrong if you name a storm after a local God of death)

Xerxes

[Many Chinese names]
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2017-09-10 at 10:43 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

It's mostly an American Atlantic convention - the Pacific has no such convention, so in 1992 there were storms called Xavier, Yolanda and Zeke.

No Q name though.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-09-10 at 10:43 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    It's mostly an American Atlantic convention - the Pacific has no such convention, so in 1992 there were storms called Xavier, Yolanda and Zeke.

No Q name though.
    Oh contrare.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

The "Ghost-Child of Imgur"

...Okay, probably not.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GAAD View Post
    Hurricane **** YOU I survived.

I was in Sint Maartin. I have seen devastation. I am thankful to be alive right now.
    How bad is it? We've gotten some snippets of news, 95% of the buildings gone or close enough, at least 4 dead on the Dutch side and I think they're running into double digits on the French half. Any idea how much worse the news is going to get for those islands directly in the path? Did the shelters hold?

On the more joking side of the topic: maybe we need a backup list that starts at A again but uses pop culture names and references, anything that can't be mistaken for a real name.
    So like ATAT, Bond, Cypher, Dilbert, ED209, Freddy Krueger, Godzilla, Herby etc.
    Thor help the poor souls that die in hurricane Furby.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

28. - Top - End - #28

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    How bad is it? We've gotten some snippets of news, 95% of the buildings gone or close enough, at least 4 dead on the Dutch side and I think they're running into double digits on the French half. Any idea how much worse the news is going to get for those islands directly in the path? Did the shelters hold?
    Here's what I went through.

I was going on vacation. I was going to have a nice Caribbean experience. Sure, Sint Maartin was near Irma, but it was a cat 3, heading away. They've seen worse.

It took so long to get there, that by the time we arrived we had a day to prepare for a cat 5 hurricane coming directly at us. So we stocked up on canned food, candles, and water. We filled the sinks of our hotel with water in case the cistern was damaged. We boiled two dozen eggs. We charged all our electronics. We barred the windows. We moved the mattresses to the hallway. We set up a last resort nest in the bathroom. We thought it was overkill. We were sorely mistaken.

Irma hit in the middle of the night. I couldn't sleep. The winds grew more and more and more and more and more. The building began shaking. The windows creaked. The front door rattled. My sister began to get very nervous and brought the family into the nest. Ten minutes later, the winds grew too much.

The front door was hurricane proof. The frame wasn't.

The hallway where I had just been trying to sleep was flooded. And Irma was trying to get in the bathroom. There was nothing between us and the storm but a single wooden door the likes of which Irma had blasted open. My father braced against the sink and the door, pressing as hard as he could so our last resort would not give way. He held it. By whatever forces care to bless me he held it. The doors shook. The water pooled. The winds howled. My ears popped, and everything went dead quiet.

The eye was upon us.

Looking outside, there were no clouds. There were no winds. There was no rain. It was a perfect, gorgeous sunny day. And then you saw the devastation. Trees cleaved in twain, cars tossed five meters away, people panicking, knocking on doors for some surer shelter, our door swinging on its frameless hinge.

My father grabbed the pieces of the frame and pushed them into the door. He prayed it would hold. Then he ran back inside, nodded at the trio of seabirds taking shelter in our unit, and went back to bracing the door.

My ears popped again, and the winds started up from zero to scalebreaking in about thirty seconds. The tail end of a hurricane is essentially a giant wall of pure tornado. We held on as he winds slowly died down over several hours, then looked outside.

Our unit was flooded. Our door swung free once again. There was a trashed car on the pool deck. There was a palm tree on our porch. Our curtains had sucked through the seal between our patio doors. We had no railing. We had no power. We had no water tank. We had no roof. Irma had ripped it all away. Every roof. Every building. Every car. Every boat. Every tree. The power plant. The desalination plant. The airport. The medical school. The prison.

On the other side of the island, the one controlled by France, a mass jailbreak began. The first thing the ex-prisoners did was raid an abandoned and destroyed police station for weapons.

Our family had no mop, so we took a broom to the flood, sweeping water out the front door. It took hours. Then I moved to help other people sweep out their rooms. The resort arranged meetings, held a census, gathered some generators and organized a militia. I went to the back room, we made egg salad sandwiches, and lit some candles into the night. I hopped onto the couch and went to sleep.

I awoke to the sound of gunfire.

I crawled into my parents' bed to find my sister already there. My mother raised a finger to her lips and we huddled together. It was hot. I moved and peeked out the window. Just outside our window, a car blazed. The shots continued to ring out. The fire spread to another car. More shots fired. The first car exploded. The fire brigade arrived. It took ten minutes and six cars but the fire went out and we relaxed.

The backup generators were gone. Looters had set the cars on fire in order to steal them.

We made egg salad sandwiches and tried to reach out. My father got one bar of cell reception and began (slowly) texting our friend Mark Watson our status. From what I've heard, his name should be familiar.

We no longer had the ability to flush the toilet. The room above ours was trashed. Therefore we commandeered their toilet as our own.

In the bay, we saw a destroyer approach. 800 Dutch marines arrived to maintain order and a curfew. They went house to house, finding and shooting looters. And anyone left on the streets after curfew.

For those whose food stores were destroyed, the one grocery store within walking distance was available. One person was allowed to shop at a time, under constant surveillance by armed soldiers.

The Dutch side of the island was being kept in order. The French side was not. The convicts had spread total anarchy throughout the north. It was at this point we noticed it - for it had gotten to the point of buildings ablaze. I barely slept that night, for I kept waking to watch the horizon burn.

The day passed uneventfully. I read, made small talk, ate egg salad sandwiches, and rejoiced at the survival of a very friendly one eared cat.

We hunkered down and rationed our perishables, planning to open the fridge only twice a day to keep the food as cold as possible. The lights came on. We started boiling water and flushing toilets. And suddenly the lights went out. Except for one, in the generator room. The technician had set the thing on fire.

Thankfully the fire went out, but we were without power for the rest of the night.

The next day, the runway had finally been cleared of debris. The half of it still standing, anyway. Women with small children were evacuated first. We stayed the night, but packed for a rush to the tarmac.

And a rush to the tarmac it was indeed. My sister and father (we operated under the buddy system. No one goes anywhere alone) came running back from the lobby. We had three minutes to get there and board the bus that would take us, eventually, home.

We each took one bag; my mother took a suitcase as well. We arrived at the airport; the USA National Guard had come to take US citizens home.

The C-130 was cramped, but safe. We arrived in San Juan - minus anything not on our immediate persons - and were given food and amenities by the Red Cross. On arrival, we were given a police escorted shuttle to Plaza Condado.

I am safe. I am alive. I am okay.

And I am NEVER eating another egg salad sandwich.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

What a story! Congratulations on your survival.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Wow.

In 60 years, your grandkids are not going to believe you.

Glad to hear the ship helped the island a bit. Not that I had anything to do with sending it, but still nice to know.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!