New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1097 - The Discussion Thread

Aww man, it's a conspiracy among the gods. Odin either wants to destroy the world now or he never liked this world for one reason or another anyway. He sent Durkon out so that he could destroy the world but to make it so that his supporters stayed his supporters he had to vote against destroying the world. He may have been conspiring with Hel and he still may be (although this is unlikely seeing as Hel made a whole speech against him during the godsmoot) Also the whole point of Hel trying to get a cleric to the godsmoot was so that she could be the most powerful also makes it less likely that she is conspiring with Odin. Either way, I'm pretty sure there is going to be a point where they can't save the world anymore because Odin has decided, "Screw it I'm gonna destroy the world"- and obviously the OOTS can't fight a god (until Banjo ascends to the Northern? pantheon)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That doesn't make sense the HP of Odin voted against destroying the world.

Odin could have simply voted yes.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by skaddix View Post
    That doesn't make sense the HP of Odin voted against destroying the world.

Odin could have simply voted yes.
    Like I said, although he could have voted yes to destroying the world, his supporters among the gods, (whoever they may be) would probably look down on him for voting yes and he would lose them as well as still being enemies with most of the other gods. (frost/fire giants are not very forgiving)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Der_DWSage View Post
    ...I feel like a number of people are getting Odin (Somewhat mysterious deity that has barely even been referenced in the comic) confused with Thor. (Who is, in fact, the drunken buffoon that keeps getting referenced.)
    You're 100% correct, and I feel stupid for making that mistake.

However, comic Odin (made my research now) is seemingly portrayed as a childish or senile character in strip 137 and strip 435. Crayon Odin did help create the world (twice), but other than that, we have little evidence of him being powerful or intelligent. Therefore, it is still surprising to see that Odin could play a major ambiguous role in this story.
    Last edited by Lúthien Tinúvie; 2017-09-09 at 06:39 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe Odin knew what would happen, and wanted it to happen, yes... but maybe he also knows what comes next, and maybe it's not that bleak? Presumably, Hel's plan will be foiled. Maybe this whole arc will be somewhat responsible to avoiding a greater evil (Xykon/Redcloak?) later on.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

A hundred gold says the world will not be destroyed.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

A huge THANK YOU to miss Haley Starshine for pointing the elephant in the room.
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

8. - Top - End - #98

ElfWarriorGuy

Whoa. Giant never ceases to impress with the plot twists.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Does Belkar say "a criteria" because he likes using big words even when he doesn't know what they mean?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Verrry interesting. I genuinely had not considered any of this before, but yeah, something's definitely up.

(It's a scary feeling when Belkar is more perceptive than you are).
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, I got suspicious last issue about Odin's motives. His statement at the Godsmoot about "Worlds within worlds" came to mind.

Suspicious, indeed. Especially if this all turns out to be a classic "The Asgardians don't know what to do so let's put Loki to work and get him to fix things for us" scenario. That would suggest that Loki's motivation for bringing the wager up between Hel and a visibly intoxicated and unknowing Thor was focused on preventing a second round of "Snarl kills gods and destroys the world" event.

TL/DR: Odin put Loki up to making the bet between Thor and Hel.
    Last edited by Basement Cat; 2017-09-09 at 08:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

I note that Belkar is the only one on screen who has the wit to enjoy a beer during this discussion.

Beyond that, interesting set of discussions of the motives of Norse Gods. Good luck with figuring that out, puny mortals.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Cuvalwen View Post
    I love the reference to Slepnir! Mpreg is not at all a modern invention. (It's in the Mabinogian as well.) I can't place the she-wolf reference though- I believe Fenric was male? Is Elan being Wrong Genre-Savvy?
    Our best guess is that it's a Romulus and Remus prophesy reference, nothing to do with the Norse at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychronia View Post
    I wonder what Beer Dude actually told Durkon's mother and family all these years?
    My feeling is just something like "<.< >.> <.< Uh.... I dunno anything about that."
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

14. - Top - End - #104

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Does Belkar say "a criteria" because he likes using big words even when he doesn't know what they mean?
    He uses the word correctly, at least semantically. Now V would say "a criterion", because he's the pedantic nerd type who knows his Greek singular/plural endings, but otherwise there's no problem with Belkar's usage.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I note that Belkar is the only one on screen who has the wit to enjoy a beer during this discussion.
    Hey, the others are driving the plot....
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Funny realization: Blackwing might be the only one capable of telling Belkar "That's enough!" and making it stick.

Belkar's growing empathy extends most strongly of all to animals so it would make sense to see him rein back after Blackwing calls him out.

On a side note: Why isn't there a Blackwing smilie avalaible?
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

I'm just going to watch and see how this unfolds.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

I just read the comic, and I haven't read many of this threads comments, because I'm just too eager to crow:

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Hurak may have reasoned that if "Home is where the heart is", Durkon just meeting his family and friends may have triggered the prophecy.

I blame

The Norns,

Huginn and Muninn,

Odin

and,

Hurak

In that order.

Vindicated!

Ha!

Imaginary people who disagreed with me are DOOMSEALED!

Crow! Crow! Crow, I go!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Pretty nice of the crows to hire ravens. Unkindness Inc. really failed in the marketing....
    Eh. They're cousins. You've gotta expect a little nepotism here and there. To do otherwise would be a true unkindness.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Did anyone notice that Belkar is drinking while driving the plot?

That Belkar - As inebriated as he is stone-cold sexy.

EDIT: Aaaand that's what I get for assuming that there wasn't a comment like that in the few hours I've been away.
    Last edited by Manty5; 2017-09-09 at 09:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lúthien Tinúvie View Post
    You're 100% correct, and I feel stupid for making that mistake.

However, comic Odin (made my research now) is seemingly portrayed as a childish or senile character in strip 137 and strip 435. Crayon Odin did help create the world (twice), but other than that, we have little evidence of him being powerful or intelligent. Therefore, it is still surprising to see that Odin could play a major ambiguous role in this story.
    Smart characters can play dumb for a strategic advantage. It happens in the real world too, though not usually to the degree it happens in fiction. There's even precedent for it in OOTS. Remember Lord Shojo?

There's a version of Odin by a well-known fantasy author that portrays him as relatively bright and competent but conceals the extent of his ruthless intelligence for much of the story. I won't name the work for spoilers' sake. If you know it, you'll recognize what I'm talking about. Odin's a crafty old man in mythology. He could be pulling a lot of strings in OOTS.
    Last edited by Boring McReader; 2017-09-09 at 10:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
    Yeah, I got suspicious last issue about Odin's motives. His statement at the Godsmoot about "Worlds within worlds" came to mind.

Suspicious, indeed. Especially if this all turns out to be a classic "The Asgardians don't know what to do so let's put Loki to work and get him to fix things for us" scenario. That would suggest that Loki's motivation for bringing the wager up between Hel and a visibly intoxicated and unknowing Thor was focused on preventing a second round of "Snarl kills gods and destroys the world" event.

TL/DR: Odin put Loki up to making the bet between Thor and Hel.
    I talked about Odin using the OOTS to save the world, but really it could play out many different ways to satisfy a hidden godly motive. Redcloak has an overt and a hidden goal that both involve securing the gate with Xykon. Odin doesn't necessarily want the world to be saved for the good of humanity. He could have his own endgame that dooms the world in a different way and happens to require the OOTS getting into position to save it first. The one safe bet, although there are never totally safe bets in OOTS, is that Odin's plan doesn't end with the vampire fulfilling Hel's ambition and ending the world on her terms. There's more going on.
    Last edited by Boring McReader; 2017-09-09 at 10:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grandpheonix View Post
    This is just amazing. I love Belkar doing his thing!
    More subtle character development at work on Belkar.
    Please have a happy ending, plese have a happy ending ...

23. - Top - End - #113

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    My feeling is just something like "<.< >.> <.< Uh.... I dunno anything about that."
    I think the correct sentence would be "Och, I dinnae know nuthin' aboot that."
    The Hundred Second
    Creator of the first iteration of The Stick Awards

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

There's also the fact that liking dogs and puppets doesn't make you stupid, and Thor's reaction to the dog one could be easily attributed to him being annoyed at Tiger. And Thor didn't seem to mind the idea of Banjo joining the Northern Pantheon either.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    How about, all of them? They would never have reached Dorukan's Dungeon in the first place without Durkon convincing Roy to let them try again after their first disastrous fight (see: OtOoPCs). Without his healing they wouldn't have made it through the dungeon. Without a cleric to cast Disruption on Roy's sword, Xykon would have had no reason to Shatter it and Roy wouldn't have hulked out and accidentally hit upon the only method to stop the lich--the entire Order would have died in the dungeon. Even if they escaped that, without Durkon's words of wisdom Miko would probably have slaughtered them all when she caught up with them. Without Durkon's slightly dodgy use of Control Weather the Order would have been defeated by the treants in Cliffport. I could go on, and I'm sure I may have missed situations in between the ones I've already listed, but he's actually been pretty important to the Order.
    Exactly. If Durkon hadn't been around, its very possible that Redcloak or Xykon might've captured Elan and used him on the gates rune after killing everyone else. or even Nale bringing Elan to Xykon. Redcloak would've then transported it to The Dark One, who would then use it to threaten the gods into getting what he wanted. The earliest possible failure scenario.

Now let us think, Odin is a good god, what did he see in this situation that would be a worse alternative to the current situation the world is having right now? What would be so bad about The Dark One having that much power? Keep in mind, despite Redcloaks supposedly good intentions, he and his god are still Lawful Evil. It could be used to give the goblins equality.....or the Dark One could be the Lawful Evil jerk that he is, and use the bargain to give the goblins supremacy. There is no guarantee that the Dark One will let go of that power once he has it and he could very easily abuse it to basically become the god above all gods or something. Whoever said Redcloak has his gods intentions right? Given what we've seen of the other gods, and how Hel is abusing the system to try and gain more worshippers, why wouldn't The Dark One abuse his ultimatum to make sure the goblins out populate everyone else and thus give the Dark One more power than anyone? In that scenario it would be only a matter of time before The Dark One became unstoppable, and the best thing people could hope for would be the goblins themselves becoming less evil through cultural diffusion and changing him to be a less evil figure over time, or for the goblins to somehow stop worshiping him.

the current scenario is favorable compared to the alternative, as its perfectly possible if difficult to both cure Durkon of his vampirism and stop the vote from destroying the world and thus foil Hel, while in the other scenario the Dark One just plain wins unless someone starts pulling some serious shenanigans.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Fire View Post
    Like I said, although he could have voted yes to destroying the world, his supporters among the gods, (whoever they may be) would probably look down on him for voting yes and he would lose them as well as still being enemies with most of the other gods. (frost/fire giants are not very forgiving)

The gods were split down the middle to destroy or save the world. One god specifically voted to save the world because Odin voted to save it. He wouldn't lose power no matter which way he voted. Plus, if he had voted to destroy the word, he would be in a slight majority instead of a dead even tie.

On top of that, if Hel is right, then Odin will lose his power as she is inundated with millions of dwarf Souls and she becomes powerful enough to take his place. No, be doesn't want the world to be destroyed, but there has to be something more than "Durkon was the only possible cleric that could've held the OotS together". There's a larger game here and we STILL don't know why Loki helped a drunk Thor swindle a naive Hel.
    Last edited by Thecommander236; 2017-09-09 at 10:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Now let us think, Odin is a good god, what did he see in this situation that would be a worse alternative to the current situation the world is having right now? What would be so bad about The Dark One having that much power? Keep in mind, despite Redcloaks supposedly good intentions, he and his god are still Lawful Evil. It could be used to give the goblins equality.....or the Dark One could be the Lawful Evil jerk that he is, and use the bargain to give the goblins supremacy.
    Or perhaps the bargain angle is (or has become) a ruse, and the Dark One intends to simply dump the Snarl on the gods as revenge.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Or perhaps the bargain angle is (or has become) a ruse, and the Dark One intends to simply dump the Snarl on the gods as revenge.
    I... didn't think of that.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Spolier

Odin goes in disguise often as a One eyed character. We have at least two One eyed characters. One of whom was friendly with MitD.
    Last edited by renovator; 2017-09-11 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Add spoiler warning

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I think it's quite obvious why Odin made that prophecy, it's so that Durkon would be sent off. Sure, that chain of events eventually sets him back to the Dwarven Land with death and destruction, but in the bigger picture, Durkon had been the moral pillar of Order of the Stick, fighting to save the world from a lich who's on his way to unleash a god-killing planet-destroying reality-unmaking creature. Without Durkon in the team, I think they probably would have failed to beat Xykon even from the Redmountain Hill quest, which is that much worse.

So from a grander perspective, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that wouldn't have come to pass if never told, but it being carried out is necessary for saving the world. In other words, for the world to be saved by the OoTS, the Dwarven Homeland must suffer death and destruction. Lesser of two evils, so to speak.
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"