New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Which "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" U.S. Version is Better?

So, I was a HUGE fan of the improv comedy show "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" when Drew Carey hosted it years ago. The "new" (currently in its 5th season) version with Aisha Tyler as host is also good, but there's just something about the "old" one that seemed better to me. It's not even the change in host...Aisha Tyler is great and I think she fits the role as well as Drew ever did. I can't quite put my finger on why I like the old version better...maybe its simply nostalgia glasses doing their thing?

About the only thing I can come up with is I feel like the old version had less "guest stars" to break up the pace of the episodes, but that might be my memory being faulty. Also, there are not as many "Irish Drinking Song" games in this version, but the show now seems to have more song skits in general which kind of balances that out for me.

What are your thoughts? Are you a fan of the show? If you are and have seen both version, which did you like better and why?

EDIT: Just realized this should have gone in the "Media Discussions" Forum. Sorry about that!
    Last edited by The Aboleth; 2017-09-09 at 09:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Which "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" U.S. Version is Better?

the new one is slightly less in my mind.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I think my answer would be the original UK version...

Actually, when I did a four-and-a-half month stint out in Atlanta (Georgia), the showing of the UK and the old US versions on the Comedy Channel was one of the things that kept me relatively sane.

I've not seen the new version, but I'm glad to hear it is still going out there - it was always rather hit-and-miss, but when it hit it was really good.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I didn;t even know there was a new version
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I prefer the new version, except when they spend an entire show with all sex jokes. Scenes from a hat and prop game are the best
    #GoreMutualarejerks

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The "old" US version seems better to me.

For the simple reason that you gt the feeling in it that all three regulars and Drew were friends as well as co-workers. I've never gotten that feeling with Aisha in the most recent version, and it feels a bit flat as a result.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Agree: the British version is better... especially when Ryan and Colin team up close to the end. The British episodes set in the US are great.

And of course, I have to say that Stephen Fry's Questions Only is unsurpassable. Set in Ancient Rome, the guy just starts speaking fluent Latin. Jossie's face is, frankly, a sight to behold.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est