New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Spellblade Question?

So some thing you need to know before I start talking:
    -I am referring to this thread

TL:DR In player's guide to faurn (or however you spell it) there is a weapon enhancement that allows you to absorb a specific spell and redirect it anywhere as a free action. Knowing this, the (thread) creator had the idea of making a spell battery where you have 2 weapons aligned to the same spell, and a caster directs the spell at one of them, and then the spell bounces between the two weapons until you find something to shoot, and you discharge both of them at the BBEG or whatever dealing a fistful of D6 EDIT: I know that if you used a ray, yes, you would have to make an attack roll.

So the question: Would this work, by RAW, with Eldritch Blast? Eldritch Blast is a spell-like ability. Bonus points if you can quote where it says you're right.

NOTE: YES, I know this is cheese, and me and my DM have talked it over that cheese is encouraged (High PO game, borderline TO)
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2017-09-10 at 12:42 AM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Spellblade Question?

Relevant verbiage from Player's Guide to Faerun p120:
    Spellblade: The wielder of a spellblade weapon is immune to a singel spell chosen at the time the weapon is created. The selected spell must be one that is targeted against the wielder, not one that affects an area or creates an effect. When the wielder is next subject to the chosen spell, the weapon absorbs it. On his next turn, the wielder can opt to either let the spell drain harmlessly away or direct it at a new target as a free action.
    So the spell chosen must have a Target entry, every ray has an Effect entry instead, which is specifically called out as ineligible. Thus no spell that creates a ray or other type of effect can be chosen when making a Spellblade weapon, it must have a Target entry and is only absorbed by the weapon when used in that mode.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Is it just me, or does the text read like the item only functions once? It says "When the wielder is next subjected to the chosen spell...", and there's no mention of it working again or recharging somehow. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to only work once, but that's still kinda weird.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Is it just me, or does the text read like the item only functions once? It says "When the wielder is next subjected to the chosen spell...", and there's no mention of it working again or recharging somehow. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to only work once, but that's still kinda weird.
    It does indeed read that way. Some people take a very liberal reading of the ability to essentially give you immunity to a spell at a very cheap cost, but the way it's written, it should only function once. Makes it quite mediocre vs dispel magic all of a sudden, but very strong against something like a disjunction, which could otherwise cost you your entire arsenal of gear. Doesn't work on area spells, but still, could save you from some high level spells that would otherwise significantly harm/disadvantage you.
    Last edited by Crake; 2017-09-10 at 02:33 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    It does indeed read that way. Some people take a very liberal reading of the ability to essentially give you immunity to a spell at a very cheap cost, but the way it's written, it should only function once. Makes it quite mediocre vs dispel magic all of a sudden, but very strong against something like a disjunction, which could otherwise cost you your entire arsenal of gear. Doesn't work on area spells, but still, could save you from some high level spells that would otherwise significantly harm/disadvantage you.
    So it does work with Eldritch Blast, but only works once is what I'm hearing?
    Show

Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

No. Eldritch Blast is a ray and therefore not valid and is an SLA, not a spell, and therefore not valid.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    So it does work with Eldritch Blast, but only works once is what I'm hearing?
    Not only is it not a spell, but it creates an effect, so that makes it ineligible as well. Spellblade never works on spells that create an Effect: Ray.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Not only is it not a spell, but it creates an effect, so that makes it ineligible as well. Spellblade never works on spells that create an Effect: Ray.
    Wait, ray is an effect? I just thought it was how the spell was procured.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Wait, ray is an effect? I just thought it was how the spell was procured.
    Aiming A Spell

Only targeted spells (spells with a Target entry, like Hold Person or Heal), are eligible choices for Spellblade.

Spells that create an effect (including Effect: Ray like Enervation) have no Target entry. They create something, and that something is directed and may have a target, but the spell itself is not targeted.