Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 272
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Knaight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    .
    So the boss of my boss would be "my boss's boss", or "my boss' boss"?
    Keep the third s.

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AMFV's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    You used "bosses" (the plural form of boss, ie, multiple bosses) in place of "boss' " (the possessive form, such as your boss' pen). It's still pronounced the same, tho.
    To be fair this is actually NOT a cut and dry rule, and different style guides and different grammarians have different opinions on which is more appropriate. If you think grammar is a set of rules rather than a few conventions that angry grammarians are fighting over, you should probably read some Safire.

    Edit: Basically how it works for most people is that whatever their seventh grade English teacher told them, they believe to be absolute truth, even when it turns out that it's not quite that simple. And this applies to a lot of things not just grammar rules.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2017-12-18 at 03:22 AM.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

    Sorry for any typos just forearm my wrist and am using voice to text on my phone.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Brother Oni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cippa's River Meadow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    So the boss of my boss would be "my boss's boss", or "my boss' boss"?
    To add fuel to the fire, I would write it "my boss' boss", but pronounce it "my bosses boss".

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Land of dreams, zzzz
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Note that 'my bosses's boss' is also technically correct if you have more than one boss, and pronounced exactly the same.

    But yeah, I tend to go with 's when pluralising words ending in s, because that's how my secondary school wrote it's name. Nobody pronounced the extra s, and I had to point it out to classmates more than once, but it was there on the official name (still is, going by the website). Then again almost nobody used the full name, it was always 'Lord Bill's'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    .
    So the boss of my boss would be "my boss's boss", or "my boss' boss"?
    Either is correct, as long as you are consistent with the one you pick. What is in poor grammatical form is if you sometimes add the 's' and sometimes you don't.

    GW
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    Scientia est similis fluminis te capere non possunt in perpetuum
    (Knowledge, like a river, cannot be constrained forever)

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    That wasn't intended to be a comprehensive list - it also didn't include Colorado, where I live (although to be fair only part of Colorado really qualifies. The south is pretty hot.).
    Oh, I know, but you lobbed that one over the plate.

    Now, if you wanna talk about the south being pretty hot...
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking).

    Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Actually im saying all of them are trans, even if theyve made babies or not. Its fantasy, baby!

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jay R's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    To be fair this is actually NOT a cut and dry rule, and different style guides and different grammarians have different opinions on which is more appropriate. If you think grammar is a set of rules rather than a few conventions that angry grammarians are fighting over, you should probably read some Safire.

    Edit: Basically how it works for most people is that whatever their seventh grade English teacher told them, they believe to be absolute truth, even when it turns out that it's not quite that simple. And this applies to a lot of things not just grammar rules.
    But you left out a couple of crucial considerations.

    1. How you write does in fact affect how people think of your writing. The choice is not just arbitrary conventions.

    2. Some questions are clear and unambiguous, and all respected grammarians agree. One of these is the possessive of "boss". The correct form is "boss's".

    If you write "boss's boss", nobody will blink twice. If you write "boss' boss", many people won't notice, some people won't care, and some people will think your grammar is poor.

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Yes the big spaces of Alaska and Texas are impressive, as are the caribou and cows, but where do the most people in the U.S.A. live?

    Oh that's right, my home State of California

    And where is the

    best weather in the U.S.A.


    if not the world?

    My hometown of Oakland, California.


    California currently hosts about 10% of the US population. Impressive it may be, but "most" it is not. Also, you always seem to be on fire, having mudslides, or in the depths of a horrible drought.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    .
    North Dakota doesn't exist, have you ever known anyone from there, or even seen a car with a North Dakota license plate?
    I certainly haven't.

    There is a great ice wall at the northern border of "South" Dakota, which no one has crossed.

    No one!
    I have personally driven through North Dakota. Mostly it was fields of sunflowers.

    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    You used "bosses" (the plural form of boss, ie, multiple bosses) in place of "boss' " (the possessive form, such as your boss' pen). It's still pronounced the same, tho.
    If you are applying the possessive to your boss, it is written "boss's". If you are applying the possessive to your bosses, it is written "bosses'".

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Note that 'my bosses's boss' is also technically correct if you have more than one boss, and pronounced exactly the same.

    But yeah, I tend to go with 's when pluralising words ending in s, because that's how my secondary school wrote it's name. Nobody pronounced the extra s, and I had to point it out to classmates more than once, but it was there on the official name (still is, going by the website). Then again almost nobody used the full name, it was always 'Lord Bill's'.
    As a note, it's is a contraction for "it is". The possessive form of the neuter pronoun is "its", no apostrophe. For anyone at all interested, I suggest reading "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Yes the big spaces of Alaska and Texas are impressive, as are the caribou and cows, but where do the most people in the U.S.A. live?

    Oh that's right, my home State of California

    And where is the

    best weather in the U.S.A.


    if not the world?

    My hometown of Oakland, California.


    Spoiler: Yes, I hear it's lovely this time of year.
    Show


    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking).

    Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Actually im saying all of them are trans, even if theyve made babies or not. Its fantasy, baby!

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jormengand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In the Playground, duh.

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Either is correct, as long as you are consistent with the one you pick. What is in poor grammatical form is if you sometimes add the 's' and sometimes you don't.

    GW
    Although some grammatical styles would add the extra S for some words, but others, usually mostly dependent on the pronunciation of the final s (generally, I would say Claudius' but James's, for example). Of course, this is mainly becuase English has very few rules and breaks half of the ones it does have anyway.
    Like my homebrew? Donate to help me produce more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    You know, it would be really meta if I sigged this.
    Transgender Pansexual NOMAP

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Land of dreams, zzzz
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    As that well known rule says, 'I before E, except when it isn't'.

    Height. Weight. Two commonly used words that break the commonly quoted rule. It messed me up a lot before I learnt to disregard it (I thankfully rarely write by hand these days unless it's equations, and of I do the lack of a spell checker doesn't matter due to circumstances).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    danzibr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Back forty.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    As that well known rule says, 'I before E, except when it isn't'.

    Height. Weight. Two commonly used words that break the commonly quoted rule. It messed me up a lot before I learnt to disregard it (I thankfully rarely write by hand these days unless it's equations, and of I do the lack of a spell checker doesn't matter due to circumstances).
    Huh. Weird.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Bohandas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    California currently hosts about 10% of the US population. Impressive it may be, but "most" it is not. Also, you always seem to be on fire, having mudslides, or in the depths of a horrible drought.
    I think he meant that it's the state wih the most people, not that most people are in that state.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I think he meant that it's the state wih the most people, not that most people are in that state.
    Oddly enough, California is 11th in terms of population density.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2017-12-18 at 07:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    2D8HP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    San Francisco Bay area
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I think he meant that it's the state wih the most people, not that most people are in that state.
    .
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    ".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    GW
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    .

    I thank you fine folk for filling in missing pieces of my grammar education.



    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    ...I have personally driven through North Dakota. Mostly it was fields of sunflowers....
    .
    You have visited North Dakota?!



    Then you have explored and helped create realms which no mortal has heretofore been!

    You're a hero on the scale of Earl Aubec of Malador who lived centuries before Elric of Melniboné. An incarnation of the Eternal Champion who was responsible for, among other things, extending the boundries of the Lawful Earth into the Chaos at the World's Edge!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    ...Also, you always seem to be on fire,...
    I may have smelled smoke for two weeks straight, two months ago, but I assure you I saw no flames!
    (In 1991 I saw an area greater thsn the size of the town I live in covered by flames)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    ..having mudslides..
    .
    Seeing mansions sliding down hillsides is the highpoint of the winter season!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    ...or in the depths of a horrible drought.
    .
    THERE IS NO DROUGHT!
    (That was last year. And the year before that, And the year before that one....)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: Yes, I hear it's lovely this time of year.
    Show


    .
    That is Los Angeles. Which is beyond the fields I know, so probably Dragons.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    So I have long felt that "Beyond the Fields I know", "There be Dragons" anyplace that is not within a days walk of a BART or Cal-Trans train station:

    Quote Originally Posted by Recherché View Post
    I lived in Santa Cruz CA for a few years and even there some people considered Oakland to be basically part of SF. Up here in Washington where I am now almost everyone thinks of Oakland as a part of SF. It might not be right but the idea is is pretty widespread once you get away from the Bay area.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Santa Cruz?

    Washington?

    There be Dragons!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I be dragons?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I'd say the odds are likely, the presence of big Dragons is why no BART or Cal-Trans trains stations have built down there, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    That's a shame. I like using the BART whenever I head up north. The thought they're deliberately excluding me is a little hurtful. I will sooth myself with the traditional Santa Cruz soothings, of being pretty queer, rolling around on a pile of gold, and eating free trade, organic artichokes roasted with our breath weapons.
    ...and most of this week when winds blow from the North, I smell smoke and see ash.

    Dragons?
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all


    Extended Sig




    PBP's

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jormengand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In the Playground, duh.

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    As that well known rule says, 'I before E, except when it isn't'.

    Height. Weight. Two commonly used words that break the commonly quoted rule. It messed me up a lot before I learnt to disregard it (I thankfully rarely write by hand these days unless it's equations, and of I do the lack of a spell checker doesn't matter due to circumstances).
    The rule does usually contain "But only when it [the ie or ei sound] rhymes with bee", otherwise I'm pretty sure there are more words that break the rule than conform to it, although the majority of them (words like weir, hacienda and glacier) aren't that common, whereas only a significant minority of words break the rule with that amendment (weir and weird still break it, for example).

    That said, a lot of the ones which do break the rule are obvious precisely because they're not pronounced that way - it's difficult to get glacier wrong because you can actually hear the i coming before the e.
    Like my homebrew? Donate to help me produce more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    You know, it would be really meta if I sigged this.
    Transgender Pansexual NOMAP

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Hacienda and glacier don't have diphthongs, though. The vowels are pronounced individually.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking).

    Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Actually im saying all of them are trans, even if theyve made babies or not. Its fantasy, baby!

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Fiery Diamond's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Imagination
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Hacienda and glacier don't have diphthongs, though. The vowels are pronounced individually.
    That depends on your accent. I pronounce glacier with a diphthong, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce it differently. "Glay-see-er" sounds wrong, "Glay-shur" is how I've always said and heard it. And google agrees with me.
    Last edited by Fiery Diamond; 2017-12-19 at 09:24 AM.
    I'm currently writing a story, titled "Zenith: Another World Saga."

    It's a fantasy/adventure story. Here's the summary:

    When I opened my eyes, I was in a fantasy world. I quickly discovered that it functioned off of game-like rules (levels, EXP, skills, and so on). Taking the name Zenith, I decided to make the best of my new world and live as an adventurer aiming for the top together with my new best friend Rozenskye. And I might be functionally immortal? An Isekai-style story.

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    That depends on your accent. I pronounce glacier with a diphthong, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce it differently. "Glay-see-er" sounds wrong, "Glay-shur" is how I've always said and heard it. And google agrees with me.
    I typically pronounce it Glay-shur as well, but I also have a noticeable accent (jury is out on just what accent it is, but its there), and when I enunciate for whatever reason, you can hear all three syllables (something like "Glay-shee-ure")
    Last edited by Keltest; 2017-12-19 at 09:34 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    2D8HP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    San Francisco Bay area
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Hacienda and glacier don't have diphthongs, though. The vowels are pronounced individually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    That depends on your accent. I pronounce glacier with a diphthong, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce it differently. "Glay-see-er" sounds wrong, "Glay-shur" is how I've always said and heard it. And google agrees with me.
    .
    Speaking of Google, I had to "Google" the meaning of dipthong:

    diph·thong

    ˈdifˌTHäNG,ˈdipˌTHäNG/

    noun

    plural noun: diphthongs

    a sound formed by the combination of two vowels in a single syllable, in which the sound begins as one vowel and moves toward another (as in*coinloud, and side).

    a digraph representing the sound of a diphthong or single vowel (as in feat).

    a compound vowel character; a ligature (such asæ).
    .
    Where and how are you guys learning this stuff?

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    As that well known rule says, 'I before E, except when it isn't'.

    Height. Weight. Two commonly used words that break the commonly quoted rule. It messed me up a lot before I learnt to disregard it (I thankfully rarely write by hand these days unless it's equations, and of I do the lack of a spell checker doesn't matter due to circumstances).
    To quote comedian Brian Regan (video here):

    “I" before "E" except after "C" and when sounding like "A" as in neighbor and weigh, and on weekends and holidays and all throughout May, and YOU'LL ALWAYS BE WRONG NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY!!!!”

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    .
    Speaking of Google, I had to "Google" the meaning of dipthong:

    .
    Where and how are you guys learning this stuff?
    Fancy private Catholic school for 12 years. Dominican sisters for kindergarten though 8th grade, Benedictine monks for high school. My dad had Jesuits, who I've heard nothing but fantastic things about, but he also lived in NYC. Don't think there are too many in the South.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-12-19 at 10:06 AM.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking).

    Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Actually im saying all of them are trans, even if theyve made babies or not. Its fantasy, baby!

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Where and how are you guys learning this stuff?
    Would you believe a graduate level electrical engineering class where we did a project on speech-reproduction? Alternatively, my siblings took German in high-school and had to learn some of this stuff to understand what the incomprehensiblecompressionthatisgermanwriting means. (I hope I did that right; I only have a few examples from some German speakers on this board to go by).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Would you believe a graduate level electrical engineering class where we did a project on speech-reproduction?
    Ooo! Fun speech fact! Yoda's style of speech in the Star Wars movies is called "anastrophe." It is an archaic convention, and is the inversion of normal sentence syntax.

    Diphthongs I learned about in Latin class. Anastrophe I learned from a youtube video because I like Star Wars.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking).

    Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Actually im saying all of them are trans, even if theyve made babies or not. Its fantasy, baby!

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    You have visited North Dakota?!



    Then you have explored and helped create realms which no mortal has heretofore been!

    You're a hero on the scale of Earl Aubec of Malador who lived centuries before Elric of Melniboné. An incarnation of the Eternal Champion who was responsible for, among other things, extending the boundries of the Lawful Earth into the Chaos at the World's Edge!
    So this would blow your mind about Canada then?



    I can confirm that legend speaks of the portal to The Far Realms known only as On'Tarri-O.

    Because being on the other side of the 2nd largest country makes everything past Manitoba the Far Realms


    I may have smelled smoke for two weeks straight, two months ago, but I assure you I saw no flames!
    (In 1991 I saw an area greater thsn the size of the town I live in covered by flames)
    That was us last spring and summer with Fort Mcmurray and British Columbia burning. I hope things stay calm and pleasantly warm for your parts of California.
    .
    That is Los Angeles. Which is beyond the fields I know, so probably Dragons.
    I was tempted to make this joke, but didn't know if I would be hitting a sore spot.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    So this would blow your mind about Canada then?

    Man, that guy really takes small local elections seriously.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking).

    Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Actually im saying all of them are trans, even if theyve made babies or not. Its fantasy, baby!

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jay R's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Where and how are you guys learning this stuff?
    Dipthongs? In high school Greek and Latin class.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I can confirm that legend speaks of the portal to The Far Realms known only as On'Tarri-O.
    I know of this land. I could reach it by traveling through the City of the Narrow River, or across Bridge of Blue Water. Or I could journey past the island of many spellings and much fudge to the gate of Sue and Marie and seek passage. I hear you can also seek passage past the herds of bison by the decreed waters, but I have not tried that route in over a decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I know of this land. I could reach it by traveling through the City of the Narrow River, or across Bridge of Blue Water. Or I could journey past the island of many spellings and much fudge to the gate of Sue and Marie and seek passage. I hear you can also seek passage past the herds of bison by the decreed waters, but I have not tried that route in over a decade.
    I now have Stan Rogers' Northwest Passage in my head from reading this.

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jormengand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In the Playground, duh.

    Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    .
    Speaking of Google, I had to "Google" the meaning of dipthong:

    .
    Where and how are you guys learning this stuff?
    My family are the kind of people who have this weird fetish for learning as much stuff, useful or otherwise, as possible, and I went to one of the best schools in the country, and I watch multiple TV shows dedicated to proving wrong everything you thought you knew. I don't actually recall which of those was most instrumental in my English tuition, though I know that in the case of German, my brother taught me about two years' worth in as many days, which says something about one of the best schools in the country, and something else entirely about my brother.
    Like my homebrew? Donate to help me produce more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    You know, it would be really meta if I sigged this.
    Transgender Pansexual NOMAP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •