New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Still, it's not as significant as the differences for Chinese romanisation; the same name in Wade-Giles (obsolete system written by westerners for westerners) and Pinyin (official standard Mandarin) can be unrecognisable even though they're pronounced the same (曹操, the King of Wei from the Three Kingdoms era, romanises as Ts'ao Ts'ao in Wade Giles, or more recognisably, Cáo Cāo in Pinyin).

This isn't even starting on the variant romanisations for the different dialects - Cantonese has both Yale romanisation (Chòuh Chōu) and Jyutping (Cou Cou), both of which are still taught (I suspect for political reasons, which I can't get into on this board).
    I feel this is related to General Tso’s chicken.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Hooray! That's a pretty happy realization.
    Yes, although I felt idiotic that she had to ask it three/four times to get it through my thick skull.

Just another week until I can see her in person again, another realisation was when I worked out that I'm completely unprepared to visit her in France (how do people speak this language!?).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I feel this is related to General Tso’s chicken.
    Which is an American dish, much like fortune cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Just another week until I can see her in person again, another realisation was when I worked out that I'm completely unprepared to visit her in France (how do people speak this language!?).
    "Excuse-y moi, Monsieur/Madam, parley vous Anglaise?"

Please don't try this for real.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    "Excuse-y moi, Monsieur/Madam, parley vous Anglaise?"

Please don't try this for real.
    Seconded. Instead, use either "¡Hola! ¿Tu hablo Ingles?" Or "Gruss gott! Sprecken ze Englisch?' depending on whether they're from the north or south of France. You want the German for the south, and Spanish for the north.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, although I felt idiotic that she had to ask it three/four times to get it through my thick skull.

French do, everybody else just does like they did in class. Nod, smile, and hope they don't have to answer any questions.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations! (From another person who needs to be beaten repeatedly upside the head with the Clue Bat in situations like that).

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Congratulations! (From another person who needs to be beaten repeatedly upside the head with the Clue Bat in situations like that).
    I didn't have any issues with my wife (we met via online dating, so i literally couldn't misconstrue it), but she has told me that I get hit on a fair amount, which I've never noticed.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-01-05 at 12:36 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't have any issues with my wife (we met via online dating, so i literally couldn't misconstrue it), but she has told me that I get hit on a fair amount, which I've never noticed.
    The only successful (for a time, anyway) relationship I ever had began with online dating, but the rest of my romantic life has been one misfire after another of me not understanding what was going on.

One time in seventh or eighth grade, a girl in my class straight up told me she liked me. Unfortunately, my self-confidence at that time was so low that I was sure this was a prank of some kind to humiliate me, and I refused to believe her. It literally never even occurred to me that she might actually be interested in me.

Many years later, a woman that I had gone to school with from kindergarten all through high school randomly friended me on Facebook. We got to talking, and she told me that she had had a huge crush on me in school, which I unfortunately had absolutely no idea about. To this day she's movie star beautiful, so I would absolutely have leaped at the chance to see whether we were compatible back then had I known. Unfortunately, by this time she was happily married and with children, so there wasn't anything I could do now that I knew.

About five years ago, I was introduced to another woman at a friend's birthday party, and she ended up joining our gaming group. When that friend brought her as a date to another friend's wedding some months later, she flirted with me the entire evening, and I still didn't pick up on it until she straight up told me. That led to an awkward mess of things that nearly cost me one of my best friends and left me horribly stressed out for a good six or seven months. I'm pretty sure I posted about it here in one of the Relationship Woes threads.

All of which is to say that if I get hit on at all (which I doubt but it's possible), I'm as clueless about it as you apparently are when it happens to you.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't worry. Just spend some time in the France and you will soon be speaking the French like a native.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

The only successful (for a time, anyway) relationship I ever had began with online dating, but the rest of my romantic life has been one misfire after another of me not understanding what was going on.
    All of which is to say that if I get hit on at all (which I doubt but it's possible), I'm as clueless about it as you apparently are when it happens to you.
    This is what throws it off. You construe a mental model where you getting hit on is unlikely, so then you reject signs of you getting hit on, and eventually someone has to try repeatedly blatant techniques for about three months before just dropping something like "so are we dating or what?", at which point you're totally shocked because it never occurred to you as a serious thought.

You know. Hypothetically. I'm totally not relating events that have actually happened to me.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    This is what throws it off. You construe a mental model where you getting hit on is unlikely, so then you reject signs of you getting hit on, and eventually someone has to try repeatedly blatant techniques for about three months before just dropping something like "so are we dating or what?", at which point you're totally shocked because it never occurred to you as a serious thought.

You know. Hypothetically. I'm totally not relating events that have actually happened to me.
    I don't doubt that I'm still guilty of this (though hopefully not as much so as when I was in school), but I also just don't know how to tell flirting apart from basic friendliness.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you. Considering that I managed to spend three months convincing myself that she didn't have feelings for me before she admitted it back in October. There could have been many reasons she was always smiling sound me, maybe she's just a naturally smiley person.

I am still convinced that my obliviousness is not the only reason this is my first relationship. No Mayer what my friends say.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't doubt that I'm still guilty of this (though hopefully not as much so as when I was in school), but I also just don't know how to tell flirting apart from basic friendliness.
    Studies have shown that no one does. Guys and gals are both bad at picking up on the difference between being nice and flirting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psy...ot-flirt%3famp
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

14. - Top - End - #224
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Studies have shown that no one does. Guys and gals are both bad at picking up on the difference between being nice and flirting.
    Incidentally, if you're a girl who likes other girls, you can give the most overtly sexual and obviously flirtatious compliments you like and the other girl will just assume you're just complimenting her. You have to be explicit about "No, no, I think you're beautiful and sexy but, like, in a gay way" before they realise that you weren't just complimenting them.

(I think that it being that bad in this instance is because girls give girls all sorts of compliments anyway, so it's hard to tell the difference.)

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Incidentally, if you're a girl who likes other girls, you can give the most overtly sexual and obviously flirtatious compliments you like and the other girl will just assume you're just complimenting her. You have to be explicit about "No, no, I think you're beautiful and sexy but, like, in a gay way" before they realise that you weren't just complimenting them.

(I think that it being that bad in this instance is because girls give girls all sorts of compliments anyway, so it's hard to tell the difference.)
    I think there is an unfortunate social implication there as well. Flattery is a form of subservience (in the US anyway) and part of the social dynamic is that women flatter to establish hierarchy. The flirtatious secretary/corporate suckup is a trope about how we establish subservience, which is why sleeping with your secretary is such an abuse of power.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

16. - Top - End - #226
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I think there is an unfortunate social implication there as well. Flattery is a form of subservience (in the US anyway) and part of the social dynamic is that women flatter to establish hierarchy. The flirtatious secretary/corporate suckup is a trope about how we establish subservience, which is why sleeping with your secretary is such an abuse of power.
    In the case I was talking about I wasn't considering a work environment, and I don't see the flattery as subservience thing nearly as much over here anyway (to the point that it seems iconically Unitedstatesian rather than ordinary).

17. - Top - End - #227
    Firbolg in the Playground

I’ve had the opposite (?) happen. I’m just really friendly and I’m pretty sure a few people have taken it as flirty.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

In the case I was talking about I wasn't considering a work environment, and I don't see the flattery as subservience thing nearly as much over here anyway (to the point that it seems iconically Unitedstatesian rather than ordinary).
    Yeah....It is not just a US thing but boy does the US take it up on that option....But even so such secretary/"boss" relationship have been massively disproportionately represented in the couples I've known who are still deeply in love and mutually respectful after 25+ years together.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

On the other side of the spectrum, male friends find it very awkward to give sincere compliments to "good looks" (other than the typical "nice suit/car/shoes/shirt/etc"). I think it's hard to tell irony from sincerity too. I guess the opposite phenomena applies to men (boys into girls do not generally compliment other boys, period). Anyway, from my experience, you may be right about girls. Women compliment their female peers a lot, specially to show friendly appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Yeah....It is not just a US thing but boy does the US take it up on that option....But even so such secretary/"boss" relationship have been massively disproportionately represented in the couples I've known who are still deeply in love and mutually respectful after 25+ years together.
    In my country we have a "(female*) Secretary/Assistant Day". Guess which day of the year, specifically, it becomes very difficult to find a free room in a -ahem- hotel... So no, totally not an American trait

*It's female because Spanish. I'm not sure if we have a "Male Assistant/Receptionist Day" tho At least nobody ever game me my chocolates, dammit
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2018-01-08 at 12:59 PM.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    *It's female because Spanish.
    For those who don't get it: most Spanish nouns have a gender denoted by either 'el' or 'la' (la chica, el chico, la basura, el coche), and there are also several grammar rules that depend on the gender of the word being spoken. (de el becomes del, de la remains de la.)
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2018-01-08 at 05:26 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #231
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    Women compliment their female peers a lot, specially to show friendly appreciation.
    This is especially true of slightly drunk women in clubs, which is why it's slightly annoying when you're a slightly drunk woman in a club trying to pick up other women.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I was watching an episode of Bojack Horseman, and was wondering where I had heard one of the actor's voices before. Turns out it's none other than Wallace Shawn, the man behind the "INCONCIEVABLE" Vizzini from The Princess Bride, one of my favourite movies. What else has he been in? Toy Story, as Rex the dinosaur. For twenty years, I had failed to realize Rex was voiced by a knife wielding, bad tempered Sicilian. :P
    Currently taking part in Godbound campaign:
    Oberon, level 3 Dragonborn paladin, Godbound of Sun, Fertility and Health:
    Famed for:
    1) Cutting a Drider Godbound in half with a greatsword
    2) Challenging an Ent Godbound to a fist fight sans godpowers, and winning
    3) Walking the city as a miniature sun and convincing all the rioting citizens that, no, the gods are not dead.
    4) He once bought an apple.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

Today I realised, having walked back to work from the shop where I bought my sandwich, that I'd driven there today, to take my dry cleaing over.

Once I'd walked back to the shop, I remembered that I'd actually decided against driving because I didn't know if I'd be able to park once I got back.

I am not having a great day.

24. - Top - End - #234

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Also Columbo!

ETA: Hey, it's also got Boss Hogg in it! I should re-watch that episode sometime. It's already one of my favorites, if for no other reason than the way Cash pronounces crimes. "hoe-micide? HOE-MICIDE?!?"
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-01-13 at 12:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Also Columbia!
    Who or what is Columbia?*

*I have a feeling this realization will make me feel stupid.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Who or what is Columbia?*

*I have a feeling this realization will make me feel stupid.
    It's certainly not my phone's autocorrect rebelling against me when I tried to write Columbo, nope, nosirree.

28. - Top - End - #238

It's certainly not my phone's autocorrect rebelling against me when I tried to write Columbo, nope, nosirree.
    Oh! Well that certainly does make sense then!

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Don'tcha hate being outsmarted by something that can only count to one?

[Yes, it's on-topic. This is a realization that regularly makes me feel really stupid.]
    Last edited by Jay R; 2018-01-15 at 10:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Pixie in the Playground

when you realise all adults are just giant children, including yourself, and are only slightly better at masking emotional outbursts (both good and bad)