New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default PF Gestalt thrown weapon build help

I've scrubbed many of these threads and most refer to Hulking Hurler as the base or 3.5 mixed in and couldn't find enough info to see if I'm doing my character justice. Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Level 15 Kobold
    Gestalt (Underground Chemist Rogue/Far-Strike Monk)

Pathfinder only. 3rd Party must be GM approved.

This is for a solo run. GM has ruled that just as trip attempts can be used in a regular flurry attack, ranged trips from RTT can be used in Far-Strike Monk flurry.

Classes/Race are not up for debate, this has already been locked in with GM. The basic premise I've been going for is a ranged trip/sneak attack damage build.

1st: Feat(Concentrated Splash), Bonus Monk feat(Throw Anything)
    2nd: Monk feat(Far Shot), Rogue Talent(Charmer)
    3rd: Feat(Improved Initiative)
    4th: Rogue Talent(Superior Sniper)
    5th: Feat(Kobold Ambusher)
    6th: Monk feat(Improved Precise Shot ), Rogue Talent(Ninja(Deadly Range))
    7th: Feat(Combat Reflexes)
    8th: Rogue Talent(???)
    9th: Feat(Kobold Groundling)
    10th: Monk feat(Ranged Trip), Adv Rogue Talent(Spontaneous Healing)
    11th: Feat(Ricochet Toss)
    12th: Adv Rogue Talent(Master Sniper)
    13th: Feat(Relentless Shot)
    14th: Monk feat(Ace Trip), Adv Rogue Talent(Ninja(Deadly Range))
    15th: Feat(???)

So he can trip flurry, kobold groundling then allows him to apply sneak attack to all prone targets, between far strike monk and superior sniper(expert sniper) has no penalty to snipe and rehide. Master sniper is DDS version that allows double hide penalty to do full attack, which makes him flurry trip everyone and rehide. Relentless Shot allows him to threaten a ranged tripped opponent. Ricochet Shot gets him all of his weapons back. Ace trip lets him trip flying.

Am I missing anything here?

What to do with the extra feat and talent I haven't filled yet? More deadly range?

Thanks in advance for reading and any replies.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: PF Gestalt thrown weapon build help

I know you said classes are set, but is it too late to ask to swap to Unchained Rogue instead? Underground Chemist will still work with it.

Instead of taking Deadly Range multiple times, just wear Sniper Goggles.

I'm not sure why you're investing in sniping - since they trigger sneak attack just by being prone due to your style, the sniping action it actually irrelevant. I would instead take some of the more standard rogue goodies like Dampen Presence and Hellcat Stealth. I'd also pick up Canny Observer if your GM likes traps.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Is there a particular reason to swap to unchained rogue?

Also I forgot to mention this but it is starting as a naked in a dungeon type of run so no equipment/starting gold/etc. Although I'll definitely look into getting those goggles made ASAP that is awesome.

Sniping is for survivability mostly. Since it is a solo run the more actions I can get before they find me and swarm me to give me a beating the better. If there were more than 5 mobs and I tried to flurry trip I would still have some up and ready to beat me down. This way I could snipe as many as possible until I'm found then trip and start taking them out.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by chichirineko View Post
    Is there a particular reason to swap to unchained rogue?
    It's all upside - you can get dex to both attack and damage with a light melee weapon in case something gets close to you, plus you have Debilitating Injuries to debuff enemies so that the ones you don't kill will have a harder time damaging you. They can also sneak attack through normal concealment, e.g. dim light. It's basically a straight buff to the regular rogue.

Sniping is for survivability mostly. Since it is a solo run the more actions I can get before they find me and swarm me to give me a beating the better. If there were more than 5 mobs and I tried to flurry trip I would still have some up and ready to beat me down. This way I could snipe as many as possible until I'm found then trip and start taking them out.
    The problem with sniping is that it's slow - you attack as a standard then you need to spend your move action to hide, which keeps you in the same spot. This also keeps you from using flurry. What I would do instead is get Hellcat Stealth and just flurry as many as possible that are near me, then when the others start to run across the battlefield, I restealth while moving somewhere else. Rinse and repeat until they're dead. You'll do much more burst damage this way too, making you more likely to kill at least one enemy per round.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It's all upside - you can get dex to both attack and damage with a light melee weapon in case something gets close to you, plus you have Debilitating Injuries to debuff enemies so that the ones you don't kill will have a harder time damaging you. They can also sneak attack through normal concealment, e.g. dim light. It's basically a straight buff to the regular rogue.
    Gotcha, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The problem with sniping is that it's slow - you attack as a standard then you need to spend your move action to hide, which keeps you in the same spot. This also keeps you from using flurry. What I would do instead is get Hellcat Stealth and just flurry as many as possible that are near me, then when the others start to run across the battlefield, I restealth while moving somewhere else. Rinse and repeat until they're dead. You'll do much more burst damage this way too, making you more likely to kill at least one enemy per round.
    Quote Originally Posted by chichirineko
    between far strike monk and superior sniper(expert sniper) has no penalty to snipe and rehide
    Quote Originally Posted by chichirineko
    Master sniper is DDS version that allows double hide penalty to do full attack
    These gets rid of the sniping downsides as far as I can tell.

6. - Top - End - #6

These gets rid of the sniping downsides as far as I can tell.
    That lets you full attack, but not flurry (which is its own special full-attack action.) You also can't do this until 14, whereas Hellcat is available much earlier.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Agreed that Hellcat is very awesome and I am working on trying to fit it in.

Any other suggestions on changes that would be beneficial?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

A fun little combo I like to use is Throwing Axes with both the Relentless Shot, Combat Reflexes and Sliding Axe Throw.

Sliding Axe Throw let's you make a trip attempt on any attack you take with a -2 to hit and Relentless Shot let's you threaten that opponent with ranged attacks whenever you trip them within 30ft of you.

Could work well if you're looking to work tripping into a thrown-weapon build. Only pre-reqs are Dex 13/Bab +1 (Sliding Axe Throw) and Point Blank Shot/Bab +6 (Relentless Shot) so it's pretty damn feat cursory.