New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Fragile Veil IC [Masks]

Gravitas
    Conditions: Afraid, Angry, Hopeless, Insecure.
    Burn: Zero.

When he heard the name he turned, his face visibly blanched, "Nihilus?" He muttered under his breath, "Whoa." He paused, "That'd be like if my father ever came to town. Just," he looked up apologetically, "bad." He paused, took a deep breath, he didn't *want* to fight with Centurion ... hell, if he was honest with himself, he respected the young man standing before him, respected his predecessors, was envious of his training, his support, of knowing where he stood. Given his relationship with his own father, and Gravitron's radical actions, he didn't have the stability that Centurion did, and that hurt, and coupled with his own failure's tonight, it just ... hurt.

"Listen 21," he used the familiar he'd heard Chama use with the youth, "I don't want to fight, I really don't." He paused, took a breath, tried to get a read on him, but could't see through his anger, he'd offended him, callously trying to push his agenda. "I'm sorry if I pissed you off, but Memory's offer, it's real, it's legit." He shrugged, helplessly trying to see through the mask that Centurion had erected. "It's something I can't pass up, and I think that you're wrong to." He shrugged, stalemated, not knowing the best course of action, "and if your team faces the threat," Nihilus, he almost didn't want to say the word, to give it more meaning that it already had, "you'll need all the help you can get."

He nodded slowly, seeing them trying to walk past, to return to their friends, "My offer stands, I'll help," he looked down the hallway he'd initially come through, towards Memory, towards the League. "But for now, I can't turn down their offer." Over his shoulder as he turned to walk away, clearing their path to depart, "I'm sorry ... for everything."

OOC: As Pyrite suggested, perhaps I can get some cue on how to handle the situation, and Centurion with a Pierce the Mask, however it is unlikely, but the Support worked if he had been open to it, so maybe this will too. Rolling Mundane, -2, and as I am still Angry there is an additional -2. (2d6-4)[2]. Annnd a spectacular failure!
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2017-10-18 at 05:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Gravitas' rambling seemed to calm things down a bit, and between that and Chama's hand on his shoulder, The 21st Centurion turned away, only looking back to say "My team will talk about it. And maybe we'll talk later. But if you throw what happened tonight into their faces like you did mine, I will kick your ass."

his ire cooled rapidly after he followed Chama's lead out of the League's HQ. It seemed sensible to take one of the offered transports at least to the right neighborhood.

"One of us should really get, like, a van or something for getting around."
    Centurion commented. "We have ended up on a bus together too many times."

The tension broken, Trent deflated a little with a deep sigh. "That... could have gone better."
    He looked at Chama with defeated eyes, ashamed. "I just... he said that stuff about... about DarkPyre dying... Because we couldn't protect him..." His eyes clenched closed, and he shuddered, forcing his breathing steady.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Ouch on that pierce the mask roll! I guess all I'll say in response to that is that Trent is still a moody teenager whose had a bad day.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    [Danger: -2] [Freak: +1] [Savior: +3] [Superior: +0] [Mundane: +1]
    Potential = 1, Advances = 1
    Conditions: Afraid
    Influence on: Solar Flare, DarkPyre, Chama
    Playbook Moves: *Fight the good fight*; *Words of The Past*; *Never Give Up, Never Surrender.*
    Last edited by Pyrite; 2017-10-18 at 05:32 AM.
    "We have to go and save the universe, you see," Said Ford, "And if that sounds like a pretty lame excuse, than you may be right. Either way, we're off."--Douglas Adams

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

Chama
    Conditions: None
    Potential: 3/5

Armando snorts at the idea of them riding around in a van. "Any car we use would be scrap metal after one day!"

Running his fingers through his hair again, he looks past Trent, not meeting his eyes. "You don't owe me any kinda explanation, amigo. I almost popped him myself! Dude doesn't know what he's talking about." Armando sighs, steeling himself for what he has to say. "Trent, man, there was nothing we could have done. Brett was dead before we even got there. Firewing killed him."

Armando can feel the stinging feeling in the back of his eyes and his throat starts to close up as he tries not to remember the scene. "There was nothing we could do," he repeats, almost whispering to himself. He thinks about giving Trent the whole story, but he's going to have to tell it all again when they get back to the Hacienda, and he doesn't know how many times he can tell it tonight.

"But I'm glad you're alright. What was going on with you back there at the warehouse? You just kinda passed out or something."

4. - Top - End - #124

BlueKnightGuy

The 21st Centurion's fists pressed together tightly, in a grip that would have shattered steel. He pulled in a long breath. "I... She did something to me. Firewing. That's how I knew Nihilus is coming. I saw him. He said it was a spell or something, I don't know how he did it." His head snapped up to look Chama in the eyes. "I wish it was a hallucination, I still kinda hope it is, but Memory confirmed most of the details I could remember, stuff I didn't know, like that there's some villain chick named Strivari."

He shook his head. "There was a lot of stuff going on. Apparently he was in Europe." He pulled out his phone and ran the name "Violet Storm" through a search engine, turning the screen "She was there. He'd just wrecked her team. Apparently a lot of heroes died today. I think... I think she got away, but I'm not really sure. It was all really confusing." He shook his head as if to clear it.

While Chama responded, he realized he'd never gotten a response to his earlier Veil Post, and decided to throw out a quick follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st_Centurion
    @tank @Solar_Flare @Glitch On my way back with Chama. Is everyone OK? Can everyone just check in please?
    Show
    Trying to do some basic research on Violet Storm and her team. I'm assuming that there'd at least be a wikipedia article or something.
    I'd like especially to know: What countries they operated in most, what her teams name was, what her powers are, how many members there were, and I'd probably try to see if I could recognize the guy whose body I was in at the time. Also probably what the latest news story that mentions them is, though that might be hard as it's probably in German or Polish or whatever.

Show
    Playbook Moves: *Fight the good fight*; *Words of The Past*; *Never Give Up, Never Surrender.*
    Last edited by Pyrite; 2017-10-18 at 08:00 PM.
    "We have to go and save the universe, you see," Said Ford, "And if that sounds like a pretty lame excuse, than you may be right. Either way, we're off."--Douglas Adams

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

"Will do." Solar Flare responds with a nod as he flies out the interrogation to get Mestre. Thankfully, Hayden didn't have to go very far to reach him.
    "Mestre, we have a problem in the interrogation room. Tank killed the prisoner that was being interrogated. So what do we do?!" At this point, Hayden is panicking, thought not as much as he was from the fight the team got back from.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Centurion, a quick googling reveals some basic information about the hero you saved.

Violet Storm is was the second-in-command of a B-list superhero team associated with the European Union, based out of Germany. Outside of super clashes, she's most known for her humanitarian work and climate change advocacy. Her official powers are weather control, energy blasts, and phasing, with a purple lightning theme, and her Veilpedia page lists her power source as magic-based.

The dead man you wore like an ill-fitting suit, he was the team leader. Zoomstrike was his alias, but he also was public about his civilian identity as Oskar Aydin, philanthropist son of Iranian immigrants. He was a German celebrity and national icon. His Veilpedia page has seen several edit wars over whether he should be considered a B-list superhero or upgraded to A-list.

Storm's team is was called Confelicity, a word meaning delight in the happiness of others, commonly used as the inverse of schadenfreude (according to their website). It fit the team's stated objective; they wanted to show the ways in which superpowers can be used for more than just beating up bad guys. They still fought villains, of course, but the majority of their work was focused on improving quality of life across Europe (and often beyond, lending their aid to intercontinental relief projects). Confelicity was associated with both the EU and UN, but retained a degree of autonomy from both at the cost of greater funding. Their team roster has changed a few times, but most recently it had been at seven full members.

The most recent news article referencing Confelicity is, as far as Google Translate can tell you, a press fluff piece discussing the team's appearance at the opening of a new cutting-edge hospital in Poland, one of the first hospitals worldwide to fully utilize the talents of powered people. The grand opening was sometime early yesterday (accounting for timezone differences).

Nothing references their deaths, or Nihilus, and it's hard to see what exactly motivated him to kill them, beyond general malice. They have no prior history with the supervillain, and no strong connections to superheroes who have fought Nihilus. However, Veilpedia's page on Confelicity notes that they have a history dealing with neo-Nazi groups trying to establish a foothold in Germany. Kraken is listed as one of those groups.
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

7. - Top - End - #127

BlueWizardGirl

Franka sat on the low wall at the edge of the building, her feet dangling over the abyss and staring up into the night sky, trying to make out stars through the light pollution of the city.

She had never really considered herself a hero, just a girl trying to channel all her power and rage into something positive. The others always seemed to have a stronger moral compass than Franka, hers had been messed up pretty much forever. Indoctrination at the hands of the Kraken and being merged with an ancient Norse spirit of war and death could do that to even the nicest of girls. Today it showed, today she failed and crossed a line she should've never crossed. It wasn't the first time she killed. When Kraken trained her they forced her, when she was pretty sure that some of the soldiers didn't survive or would be crippled for life. But today was different. She hadn't just killed, because she was forced or in the heat of the moment. She had executed that man. She wondered if the others would even want her around after what she did today. Maybe she should just stop with all of this, find some other work. Construction, firefighters, military, they sure would find a use for her unique skills and abilities.

Franka heard the door to the rooftop open, but she didn't turn around. The sound of the steps told her, that it was Glitch though. Goosebumps ran across her skin when she felt the other girl's hand on her shoulder and offering to lend her ear. Franka let a few moments pass, she cared for Glitch and having her up here, knowing that she hadn't given up on her yet meant a lot.

Finally, Franka spoke, her voice devoid of the usual relaxed coolness, "I'm sorry you had to see that...I wish I could give you some explanation that would put your mind at ease...and maybe I would even do that with the others, but...I can't lie to you. It wasn't an accident, he didn't attack me or took some poison..." Franka paused for a moment and took a deep breath before continuing, "I killed...I murdered him, because he got to me. In the moment I rationalized it by convincing myself he posed a threat to us, but really I think I just wanted to shut him up. I'm a little messed up in the head and she knew that, knew which buttons to press to get under my skin and then I snapped...I'm not a hero like you and the others Glitch...I'm not a good person...I shouldn't even be here."

Show

Potential: 6
    Conditions: Guilty
    Hold (Glitch): 2

I could clear Guilty thanks to Glitch's roll, but maybe that condition shouldn't go away all that easily (although Guilty came from something else), so I'll take the Potential. I should really figure out what to do with all that.

I guess this counts as Franka sharing a vulnerability/weakness so Glitch get's Influence, but she already has, so she shift my labels instead.

And I get special Team I can spend to help Glitch.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Gravitas
    Conditions: Afraid, Angry, Hopeless, Insecure.

Maximus watched Centurion and Chama make their way to the teleportals, so they could return to Halcyon City proper, and their team. As they did he couldn't help but notice that they were speaking to one another, leaning close, keeping their conversation private, friendship, support. He was envious of that, and given all that had transpired he suddenly felt very alone.

He sighed, wandered the Citadel for a short while until he found an observation deck, it overlooked the landing pad where the League VTOL Shuttle's would land, there was a thin layer of clouds below the Citadel obscuring the city, but it's lights winked through like beacons, calling to him. He crouched and then sprang forward, making a leap that would have been impossible at Earth's normal gravity, and began to walk the edge of the landing platform, the hazard lights blinking beside him. He then leaned forward allowing gravity to take him, to pull him downwards towards the ground.

The wind whistled past his ears, whipping through his short cropped hair, tears flowed up his face from the rush, as he struggled to keep them open as he approached terminal velocity. He was past the cloud layer now, the ground was rushing up at him, Halcyon City's financial district, it's towers, skyscrapers, and the mag-lev rails that connecting him came rushing towards him, like gigantic glass and steel teeth, threatening to smash his body into broken bone, flesh and sinew. He manipulated his gravity, and whipped past the building at a flight speed just shy of trans-sonic, enough to rattle the windows of 1st Financial, and cause the late night cleaning crew to shake their heads at the meta-human flying by.

He laughed as he danced and twirled through the concrete canyon's of the financial section, changing his personal gravity relative to his point of travel, falling, flying at terminal velocity through the city. Dr. Meiron-Park had shown him Tai Chi, and he enjoyed it, the moving mediation, the concentration on muscle movement, balance, and breathing, ensuring the body was in harmony. It allowed the mind to rest, by focusing it inward, on the body itself, rather than relentlessly recapping the events of the day. She'd once spoken of the 'stopping mind' and it's threat to one's ability to find a state of calm, of serenity. The mind was like the surface of a lake, in that it reflected the events of one's day, and the lake, like one's mind, cannot change it's nature. Memories, thoughts, will flow across it's surface, but if you stop, if you consider the images reflected there, that is when you begin to sink, to panic. Let the thoughts come, but do not stop their flow, they are reflections, do not analyze, do not criticize, concentrate on your balance, your muscle movement, your breathing, your diaphragm, in, one-two-three, out, one-two-three.

This, THIS, was Maximus' Tai Chi, falling, flying, through the valleys and canyons of Halcyon's City's downtown core, moving at near trans-sonic speeds, slipping, swooping, evading obstacles whose impact could easily shatter his physical body. In a span of seconds he was through the core, and out over the bay, skimming it's surface, and that's when he opened up, a contrail of water flying meter's into the air, a wake roaring across the surface of the water. He looked down, and saw his own reflection by the moonlight ahead, reached out touched it, causing it to dissipate in a furious splash. He stopped, changed his orientation again, and shot into the sky, past the low lying cloud layer, to the limits of the atmosphere at which he could comfortably breath. His thoughts were focused inwards, he didn't notice the cold, he hovered there for a time, staring at the moon, the stars, contemplating the day, trying to avoid the 'stopping mind', the recriminations, the doubt, the worry.

He stopped, and enjoyed the beauty of the moon, the stars, the cloud, and the night sky.

THR-hroooo-oooooom!

The turbulence threw him nearly a hundred meter's, he barely avoiding collision with the Airbus a380 coming into Kirby International Airport. "****!" He'd been enjoying the view in a landing lane for KIA. Careless! He shook his head, recovered the free fall, good thing the pilot was paying attention ... he soared back to the financial district, landing lightly atop 1st Financial, the tallest skyscraper in the downtown core. He hadn't realized the time, the sun was just coming up, and his encounter with the a380, had jarred him back to reality, reminding him of how tired he was, his injuries from the previous day's encounter ached, he looked at his phone. "****!"

Four missed calls, three from his mother, one from Dr. Park, and a considerable number of texts. Apparently the event from last night had hit the news, and of course his mother was worried, he slipped the phone back into his utility pack, and turned towards home. If nothing else, it was time to face the music. He landed about three blocks from home, he'd stored his civvies on the roof of a tenement, in a hollow under the apartment's rooftop HVAC unit. He changed quickly, and scampered down the fire escape to begin the walk home.

It was a far cry from his earlier aerobatics through Halcyon City's financial district, but he steeled himself for the coming discussion with his mother. As he approached the Powers' residence, it was a small brownstone flat in an upper mid-class neighborhood. Katlyn Powers, as an administrator for the renowned Ascension Labs, was able to afford to support herself and her son. He approached the stoop, and walked up it to the large darkwood doors, that marked the entrance to the foyer of the old ivy clad townhouse. He fished out his keys, and opened the door, it was early, but he knew his mother was working on a special project at work, and the aroma of coffee that he detected only confirmed his suspicion, she was awake.

Judging from her multiple calls, and texts, it was likely she hadn't slept at all last night. He sighed, his head hung low, chin resting on his chest, "Hey mom," he intoned softly, "I'm home." He took off his shoes, and walked slowly towards the kitchen where he heard her preparing breakfast.

OOC: I am hoping that flying around town, reveling in his powers, and getting lost watching the night sky until morning counts as 'throwing yourself into easy release.' And that I can clear Hopeless. After all, if I could have *any* one super power, it'd be flight.

Some ideas I have for his mom, she was betrayed when his father went rogue, so she is emotionally fragile, but strong enough not to share that with her son. She loves her son, but his powers scare her, if only because they remind her of his father, their family name has been trashed since it came to light that their father was a radical metahuman terrorist. So they get targeted by anti-meta group's every now and then, so she is very protective of her son. As far as how his father's actions have hurt the family, financially or with her job, I leave that up to you, she wouldn't share that with her son and would try to tough it out. Either way ... there you go ... hit me with family drama.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Glitch settles down next to Tank as the other starts to talk, looking out over the dull orange-white light of the city. She sits still as a gargoyle on the side of industrial cathedral, thinking. Time passes while she rearranges her thoughts. Elizabeth hears every brochure, every piece of anti-metahuman propaganda in her mind, telling her that Franka is the enemy. The voices of her parents seem to shout without sound, warning her of the danger, the terror, of supers.

All that, and yet Tank sits there, looking so young and sad. Glitch remembers last time they were alone together. She remembers the stories, the way the two of them sat together, pretending not to feel any emotion.

Another few minutes pass of just the two of them sitting, then Elizabeth turns to look at Franka. Her expression unreadable under the featureless mask, she watches the other girl for a few seconds, then begins to speak.

"I'm not sure any of us deserve to be on this team. I certainly don't. But I'm starting to wonder if that even matters."

Show
    Well, I'm going to shift Franka's superior down, since Glitch implicitly agreed with the statement that she's not a hero (albeit qualifying that to suggest that none of them are heroes), and her mundane up

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

Chama

Chama's eyes widen in alarm at 21's story. "Oh sh--." Chills run up and down his spine as dots begin to connect in his brain. He doesn't like the picture they make. "That's what Verazillix was talking about. Firewing's working for Nihilus." He says it with dreadful confidence; not mere speculation, but a terrifying finality.

This is bad. This is very bad. "We have to get back to the others. Now."
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2017-10-21 at 03:24 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

BlueWizardGirl

When Franka ended her little confession there was a drawn out silence between the two girls. Though Franka didn't perceive it as awkward. She was content with just sitting there, next to Glitch, one of the few people in the world that meant something to her. If it were up to her, this moment could last forever.

Then Glitch started talking and Franka let the words sink in for a moment. "Don't say it like that, Glitch. You didn't...you're good", Franka took Glitch's hand into her own and squeezed it gently, "So don't be silly, telling me you don't know if you even deserve to be here. If not before you earned that today. You did good and helped save people...saved me. I thought about just running away from all this, probs do something really stupid. You know me..." Franka's voice trailed off. She wasn't used to show her vulnerable side and talk about her feelings. "So...thanks, for being here and having some faith in me, even if I don't. Means a lot to me, probs even more than you think."

Show

12. - Top - End - #132

BlueKnightGuy

21 looked up from his phone, blinking. "Verazillix?" he asked, confused.

He saw the look in Chama's eyes, and nodded. "Alright, yeah, we need to be watching each other's backs." The transport had arrived in the neighborhood, and he got up to his feet, hurrying out and making his way to the hacienda as quickly as they both could.

Show
    Last edited by Pyrite; 2017-10-21 at 09:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

After Hayden told Mestre what happened and Mestre went into the interrogation room, Hayden went to his room where he took off his helmet and laid down on his bed. Alone with his "tool box," a dresser, a bookshelf, an alarm clock, and a closet.

After a moment, he got out his box from under his bed and got out what appears to be a a pair of thin metal bars stuck to each other. But when Hayden pulled them apart, a bright, translucent blue screen appeared in between the metal bars, which acted as handles for the device.

"Initiate Recording" Hayden commanded.
    The device obeyed, and the bright blue screen quickly became a reflection of Hayden's face.

Spoiler: Hayden's Earth Data Log Entry
    Show
    <"Hydeanngzipholus Earth Data Log Entry 46. I'm... not sure what to think of today's events. It started out with with the team attempting to stop the Duke Baron from dropping Halcyon City's leader into a vat of toxic waste. While we were successful in disarming the Duke Baron and incapacitating his minions, one member of the team got severely injured. And rescuing the mayor would've been a disaster if one of the popular superheroes of Halcyon City didn't show up. While he was taking selfies and the credit for what we got done, I managed to use parts from one of the energy rifles we took for the bad guys we defeated and healed the wound of the one they call Darkpyre. I couldn't have done it without the one they call Centurion. Or, Twenty-First Centurion as he prefers to be called.">

"<Sometime after the superhero battle, I was invited to try tacos for lunch by the one called Charma. The tacos were delicious, despite the greasiness. While at lunch, I also discovered hot sauce. It felt like the inside of my mouth and throat was burning. It is something I will avoid in the future.>"

"<Anyways, the team didn't hear from Darkpyre, so we went to the location of his secret base. However, when we got there, Darkpyre's base was on fire, there were more what humans refer to as "goons" and Darkpyre's base was on fire. To make matters worse, 21st Centurion suddenly lost consciousness. What happened next. It... was... chaos.>"

Hayden stopped, he needed a moment to recollect himself before he could continue with his report in the Kasmandian language.

"<During the fight and attempt to rescue Darkpyre, I superheated the ground under the goons' feet so that they couldn't get away. But when they tried to shoot at the team, I grabbed a car that Tank was holding and threw it down between my team and the goons to give my teammates cover. That however backfired when the goon that held the rank of lieutenant shot his firearm at the car's gas tank, which caused an explosion that both my team mates and the goons took. Another young superhero arrived at the scene and aided the team, but he was mad at me for causing the explosion, which I probably deserved. 21st Centurion managed to regain consciousness and the team managed to evacuate some humans from apartments that were also on fire, and put out the flames as well. But we didn't succeed in our mission to saving Darkpyre's life. He... died. We. Were. Too. Late>"

Hayden took another moment to hold back his tears.

"<Tank and I took the lieutenant to Charma's secret base to interrogate him while the others stayed behind to talk with the adult superheroes who were arriving at the scene. The lieutenant said something... that made me step outside. While I was outside the interrogation room, I heard noises. By the time I got in, it was too late. Tank had killed the lieutenant in a fit of rage. She stormed out of the room, I had informed Charma's mentor about what had happened, and I retreated to my sleeping quarters so that I can recover from what happened today.>"

"<In conclusion, I learned about tacos and hot sauce, that throwing cars around isn't always the best solution, that things don't always turn out the way you want them to be. And I would like to add that to me, it seems like the more I'm with humans, the less I understand about them. I just don't feel like I'm able to fit in with humans, even those who have special abilities. As the humans say, I feel like a fish out of water.>"

"End recording." Hayden ordered, and in response his reflection turned off, and the device snapped back into just the two metal handles put together.
    He set the device aside and closed his eyes. He was glad that these data entries were private from his friends, especially since he spoke in the Kasmandian language in his recordings. It was a device where he can keep his secrets.

As Hayden realized he hasn't actually explained what exactly a taco or hot sauce is, he decided that he can do that later. He wasn't in the mood for that. After what happened, he could really use a nap. A few minutes of sleep wouldn't hurt...
    Last edited by Drakeburn; 2017-10-23 at 01:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Glitch looks at Tank's hand. I have a sudden suspicion that I may have misread all our interactions to date...

She shrugs slightly, then leans sideways, resting her head on Tank's shoulder. I'm tired, and I'll deal with any mixed messages later. Settled comfortably on the other girl, she begins to speak.

"Good? I go home to my parents, and I lie to them. I've got this big moral code that I expect everyone else to live up to, and then I go home, my little sis asks me what I did today, and I just keep on lying." Elizabeth holds Franka's hand tight, like a lifeline. "Neither of us might be what you'd call good, but I'm glad you're staying. We can't be trusted on our own, so I guess we're stuck with each other..."

Glitch enjoys the moment, then sees 21 and Chama come round the corner and walk almost directly underneath them. Oh god, hope they don't spot us.

Show
    Glitch is going to share a vulnerability or weakness with Tank, and as a result tell her a secret about her real identity. Which would cause me to shift my mundane up and my mask's label down, but I can't do that, so instead I have to mark a condition. I'm going to mark insecure. Franka gets influence over me, but she already has some, so she can shift my labels instead.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2017-10-22 at 02:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135

BlueKnightGuy

Chama's sudden alarm, and the fact that no one had responded on veil, were making Centurion paranoid as he approached the team's borrowed hideout. He quickly pushed another update on Veil out to the missing team members, while he closed his eyes for a moment and let the radio sense reach out, looking for where his teammates were (which should be revealed by veil pinging them all simultaenously) and for any other signals that didn't belong.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Centurion
    @Glitch @Solar_Flare @Tank We're here.
    Show
    ASSESS THE SITUATION
    When you assess the situation, roll + Superior. (2d6)[7] On a 10+, ask two. On a 7-9, ask one. Take +1 while acting on the answers.
    • what here can I use to ________?
    • what here is the biggest threat? <Priority one
    • what here is in the greatest danger? <Priority two
    • who here is most vulnerable to me?
    • how could we best end this quickly?

Edit: changed my mind about priorities after some consideration. It's more important to verify if there is a threat first.

Show
    Last edited by Pyrite; 2017-10-22 at 07:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

BlueWizardGirl

Franka didn't respond to Glitch, just kept holding her hand and giving the other girl a shoulder to lean on. She wasn't really an authority on what was good or not. Franka wondered what it would be like, to have a sister, a family you would eat dinner with. Instead she had a mum and dad that where ranking very high on the ****tiest parents of the century list and...well she got Glitch. Franka wasn't sure what it was that she felt exactly for the other girl. She had never been really good with recognizing and reflecting on her own emotions and feelings, but she knew she'd stand in front of anything for Glitch. In a way, Franka also got the others. Her feelings weren't as strong for them as they were for Glitch, though.

Speaking of which Franka spotted Chama and Centurion as well. Not long and they would find out what she did. She wished her power was time travel. But no suck luck, she drew out the moment as long as she could, until the phone in her pocket vibrated. Probably Cent announcing that they were back. Franka let out a heavy sigh and got up from the short wall and felt the heavy weight of what she did weighing down on her shoulders return.

Before she went down, Franka hesitated for moment. "Ready or not, here I come, I can't hide", Franka paraphrased the Fugee song, and then opened the door to the stairwell.

Show

Ok, for the Labels: Shift Saviour one up and Danger one down.

17. - Top - End - #137

Centurion, the threat here is your team's frayed tensions. Everyone is on edge, and there's dark emotion in the air. People blaming themselves, or blaming each other.

---

Gravitas, soaring through the skies of Halcyon City lets you blow off a bit of steam. Clear Hopeless.

It's a little after midnight when you get home. Your mom is waiting in the kitchen, sipping coffee. There are circles under her eyes, but the predominant emotion on her face when she sees you is relief.

"You're okay. I... I was worried. Why didn't you call me?"

She sees something in your eyes, or maybe just your posture, and that relief fades back into uneasiness. "You weren't... you weren't using your powers again, were you? We talked about this."

---

Show
    It was only just getting dark when you were taken to the Citadel, Gravitas, so it won't be morning for awhile, even if you're ahead of the others time-wise thanks to your flight escapade.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Glitch sits watching the light pollution block out the stars for a few more seconds, missing the warmth and comfort of Tank already. Then she gets up, feeling stiff, and rolls the knots out of her neck. Quietly pading after Franka, she wonders what exactly she is neck deep in.

You shouldn't even try. Even if she does like you, which is just you're hopeful guessing right now, you'd f*** it up. That's all you've done so far, Lizzie. Anyway, who dates somebody from behind a mask...

She sighs heavily, then follows Tank down the stairs, trying to avoid looking at the other girl.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Gravitas
    Conditions: Afraid, Angry, Insecure.

Quote Originally Posted by Katlyn Powers View Post
    "You're okay. I... I was worried. Why didn't you call me?"

She sees something in your eyes, or maybe just your posture, and that relief fades back into uneasiness. "You weren't... you weren't using your powers again, were you? We talked about this."
    He shuffled awkwardly, from foot to foot, "Mom, listen," he paused, but his emotions were near boiling over, roiling through his chest, chaotic, overpowering. "I love you, I really do. And you've done everything you can for me, you've tried, and I love you for that. Respect you. But *we* didn't talk about this." He paused, here it was, the truth, and it was clenched like a fist in his throat, "You talked about it."

He took a deep breath, continued forward.

"Ever since Grade 7, we've been trying to get a handle on this, and you've helped. Alot. Probably more than I give you credit for. So has Dr. Park. But for me to *not* be a walking bomb, I need practice, I can't shove it all down, bottle it up, and pretend I'm something that I'm not." He sighed, he knew it scared his mother, "I'm not normal mom, we both know that. I'm not a base-line," that harsh term the anti-meta factions use to describe themselves, base-line humanity, with meta-human's being called meta's, gene-freaks, or worse. "But that doesn't mean I'm dad either, ok?" He took a step forward, desperately wanting to hold his mother in his arms, to protect her, to console her.

She'd suffered so much, been through so much, he just needed her to accept him, accept his powers. But they scared her, reminded her of his father, and his betrayal of her, and her family. He took the risk, wrapped his arms around her, "Turn on the news mom, I won't lie," he pulled back slightly, to look into her face, there were tears in his eyes, "not to you." He paused, considered the events of tonight, how he'd burned bridges with both Centurian and Chama, pushing them to accept the League's offer.

He braced himself, mentally preparing for her questions, and knowing he'd do almost anything right now to comfort her.

OOC: Madame Memory didn't feel right when I acquired Bull's Heart and picked my Love & Rival. After writing the above, my mother does, at least for now. So she will gain Influence over me, however, she already has it, as an Adult. So she can immediately shift my Labels. However, I will now attempt to Comfort & Support my mother, trying to console her so she doesn't worry, while still being honest with her. My Mundane is currently -2, I am Angry suffering a -2 on the Comfort & Support move, *but* she is my Love, I'm going to re-name that to Friend, as it sounds a little Oedipal right now , so I receive a +1, which nets me a -3. Here we go. (2d6-3)[1]. Aaaand a fail! However, I do mark Potential.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2017-10-25 at 05:23 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Gravitas, your words don't comfort your mother. In fact, she seems more agitated if anything.

She is stiff in your arms as you hug her, only relaxing at the last second to return it. She sits back down and turns on the tv, quickly flipping through local news until finding the relevant report.

"-now confirmed to be related to metahuman activity. The Halcyon League has taken over the scene and released a brief statement giving some level of explanation."

A crispy apartment building is shown, and a husk of a warehouse next to it. Megamax is mugging for the camera, and a quote appears on the screen, from the League:

This act of arson was committed by dangerous individuals, but they are no longer a threat and there is no reason to believe the apartment was being targeted. This is not an act of terrorism, and there is no reason for alarm. More details to come.

The news anchor continues, "The apartment is expected to be fully livable again in a few days, once repair crews have had a chance to undo the damage. The League will provide relief aid, as is their standard protocol."

Your mother turns off the tv.

"This isn't you, Max. I know it isn't. Your powers, they're dangerous, but you're a good person. You can have a happy life, a life free of chaos and burning buildings. There are jobs for people with powers like you have, good jobs." She shifts your Mundane up and your Freak down.

She sighs. "Tell me what happened. Everything, please."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Gravitas
    Conditions: Afraid, Angry, Insecure.

He nodded, sat on the couch, and began to reflect on the events of the day, his suspicion of wrong-doing that led him to follow Firewing's para-mercenaries, his own confrontation with Firewing, before her rapid departure, and the events that occurred when he joined forces with Chama's team. "That's the thing mom, is that I'm inexperienced, but I can make a difference," He paused, as much as the events of earlier were stressful, and undisciplined, he *had* saved lives. "So you want me to stand by and let other people risk *their* lives, to do the right thing?" Something was bubbling up inside his chest right now, he stood up, "Wasn't it Burke who'd said, 'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing?'" He was pointing an accusatory finger at her now, "Well that's not going to be me, mom, I'm not doing nothing!"

He was raising his voice, he could feel his anger rising, it was like a giant fist tightening around his chest, "The League offered me apprentice today! I can *be* one of those people who handle things like today and despite what you think, despite what anyone else thinks ... I'm taking them up on it!" His voice tightened, "It's what I want to do!" He turned, his voice quiet, he spoke one last time before storming out of his mother's house. "What I need to do."

As the door slammed behind him, he wandered the streets, finally ending up at Lantern Hill Cemetery. With his abilities he was able to hop the fence easy enough, and wandered the concentric pathways between the headstones, the mausoleums and the statuary. His final destination was a small graven headstone, three back from the pathway, the name graven across it was Olivia Bolton, b. March 23, 2983 - d. December 17, 2014. He sat in the bench opposite the row which contained Ms. Bolton's headstone, his first casualty, her death, his responsibility. Her husband, Trent Bolton and Humanity Now! activist would be livid if he discovered the meta-human responsible for her death visited her grave whenever he was troubled, and that's exactly what he was right now.

Sometimes you needed to balance the scales, no matter how much the act left a bitter taste in your life, you needed to make the hard choice, swallow your pride. He pulled out his phone, if Centurion was right, Nihilus was coming, and they were all $%^&#!. He opened his browser, not a typical search engine, one designed to navigate through the Veil, to a message board that Maximus knew *he* monitored.

@Gravitron: Dad, I need your help.
    OOC: It's funny how you can do through your conditions, try to clear them, and suddenly you are acting like a petulant teenager again, something I,
    personally haven't had to be for some 30 years. ****, my wife's right, I'm old . So, I feel he *may* have cleared two conditions, the 1st being Afraid,
    by avoiding opening up about the events of the day to his mother, and the 2nd being Insecure by contacting his dad for help on the Nihilus side of thing, without consulting the team. Of course that may have just been stupid, and the condition would stick. I'll let Malexia inform me of the outcome, either way I've added oil to the fire for sure! Go teenage drama!

22. - Top - End - #142

Gravitas, the response is quick. A private message from your father.

@Gravitas: Meet me at the Atlas Vance Monument in ten minutes. I'll come alone, except for my transporter. Bring whoever you need to. I'll understand.
    The Atlas Vance Monument is eight or nine minutes away by flight. It's dedicated to Atlas Vance, a member of the Watchtower who served around the same set of years that Gravitron did. Atlas saved the world countless times, and when he died Halcyon City honored him with a statue in the middle of a park. This time of night it'll be secluded, and the park forest will dampen noise. Good for a covert meeting.

And, you suspect, there are sentimental reasons for Gravitron choosing that location.

Show
    Clear Insecure and Afraid. You definitely opened up, and reaching out to your father is DEFINITELY reckless.

Funny enough, I actually had plans for him to contact you in a few days anyways, so this just speeds up my timetable

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Gravitas
    Conditions: Angry, Guilty.
    Burn: Three>Two.

Maximus ducked behind a large oak tree located on the fringes of the Lantern Hill Cemetary, switching into his heroic identity. Ten minutes? He didn't expect his father to be in the area, though he had mentioned his transporter, a meta with teleportation presumably. Still, he figured he would have to wait a few hours at least, was his father planning something that he'd now gotten himself involved in. The thought concerned him.

He rose silently on an invisible gravitic pillar and glided towards the Atlas Vance Memorial Park, standing at the base of the plinth, to pass the time he read the plaque, remembering the days when his father, like Atlas, had fought to protect Halcyon City and it's citizens from all threats. He sighed, reaching out he touched the local grav-field, extending his perceptions, he wanted to know when his father, and his transport would arrive, but he needed to ensure that this meeting wasn't being observed by outsiders.

OOC: Maximus has father issues, so this meeting scares me. He's reckless not stupid, also I enjoying clearing Conditions, so let's be a little reckless shall we. Rolling Conditions Marked, +1, and charging up Burn, lord help me I may need it. (2d6+1)[8]. A Hit, gaining 3 Burn, however only a partial success, so I mark a condition, Guilty. He wants to join the League and accept apprenticeship therein, but he feels bad about reaching out to dear old dad.

Expending a Burn to activate Elemental Awareness. Using my attunement to the gravity field, and knowing that even small fluctuations can mean the presence of additional people, is the area around the Atlas Vance Monument being observed in any way?
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2017-10-25 at 06:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

BlueKnightGuy

"I'm pretty sure everyone's here," Centurion commented to Chama as they made their way inside, looking around. Everything had an expectant silence, as if the place was waiting for the other shoe to drop, and it was deeply unsettling.

They made their way further inside, until they reached the room where the man had been tied to the chair, just as Tank was coming downstairs. 21's eyes flitted from the body, to Tank, to Mestre, and then slipped closed as he let out a groaning sigh, his head craning back.

"What the ****... what happened?"
    he asked, a sense of weariness coming over him. "Just... someone tell me what's going on here."

Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

Chama

Chama nods, acknowledging 21's intel. Radio sense seems like some kinda booby prize as far as superpowers went, but it came in surprisingly handy. Having had plenty of opportunity to vent some of his excess emotions, Chama was going in with his game face on.

And then there's a dead man tied to a chair.

Other martial arts will try and feed you nonsense about being 'prepared for anything'. Capoeira didn't go in for any fortune cookie crap like that. There was no point in trying to be prepared for every eventuality; it's all about being able to react to anything that comes your way without even thinking about it. The roda was a good place to learn that sort of thing. You've gotta be able to move in any direction at any time, because your opponent's next attack could come from anywhere. Chama had taken more than one knee to the face learning that lesson, dodging into a follow-up attack he hadn't been ready for. That sort of thing is par for the course in capoeira, where people make human rings around the fighters, gleefully singing upbeat songs about killing each other.

So when life throws a meia lua de frente, Chama knows to esquiva. And when that feint turns into a low meia lua de compasso aimed at his face, Chama drops into a negativa and rolęs out of the way.

His eyes flit over the scene, taking it all in without flinching. The old man hasn't taken over yet, so things aren't truly out of control. Not yet. The dude in the chair is obviously one of Firewing's mercs. Nobody worth shedding tears over. Maybe there would be time for freaking out about it later, but right now, this is the roda.

"Tank, there should be a bottle of drain cleaner around here somewhere from that clog last month. Go grab it. 21, help me get this dude outside. We don't wanna leave him in here."

Show
    The gist of the plan is to use the drain cleaner to dissolve the stuff like hair and fingernails, then Chama can use his powers to cremate the body without as much of the terrible smell.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2017-10-26 at 02:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146

Gravitas, your senses expand and sweep across the entire park. You feel birds, and beasts, and a few late night strolls meandering back to the streets, but nothing unusual. You aren't being watched.

At ten minutes on the dot, the monument seems to shift out of phase. A slice of the world blurs and ripples, and you see rainbow light scintillating in the space between realities. Then the image shifts into focus, and two new figures are standing in front of the monument, a good hundred feet from you.

It's your father. Gravitron stands tall and ominous in his distinctive armored suit and round helmet. His cape stops centimeters from the ground. Viktor Markovitch has had an athletic build for as long as you can remember, and he has an imposing presence that has nothing to do with his A-tier superpowers. His face is shadowed, and from this distance you can't read his expression.

The woman with your father is unfamiliar to you, but she's most certainly from Gravitron's organization. She doesn't bother with a mask, and her uniform is too functional and utilitarian to be a super's costume. She certainly looks like a super though: kaleidoscope eyes is a very literal description, her dark skin seems to shift shades every few seconds, and her dreadlocks - tied back - look like they're made of fluid glass.

Gravitron splays his fingers at the ground and you feel him perform the same scan you just did, but an order of magnitude stronger. He nods, apparently satisfied, and turns to the memorial. The city built a statue of Atlas as he was in life: grinning, in a dorky costume perfectly characteristic of the Silver Generation. Atlas, Gravitron, and many of their teammates in the Watchtower were part of the last wave of the Silver Generation.

Gravitron rests his hand on the statue's leg and bows his head. He's silent for a long moment, then sighs. "It was my fault, you know. His death, I mean. I wasn't strong enough. I wasn't cold enough. Do you remember how Atlas died, son?"

You do. Atlas Vance, beloved hero of the Watchtower, wasn't killed by cosmic invaders or a darkness like Nihilus. Humans killed him, humans afraid of what he could do. A group of baseline supremacists armed with weapons above their pay grade, weapons stolen from aliens and mad scientists, or perhaps volunteered by supervillains looking to off a few rivals.

The Watchtower was unwilling to employ deadly force against unmodified humans. It cost them. It cost Atlas. Gravitron took it the hardest. When he discovered the experimental facility in Russia a few months later, it was the last straw. He would protect his kind. He would protect his family. He would avenge the death of his friend.

Gravitron turns away from the statue and takes off his helmet. His face is worn, but strong. He dismisses his transporter and she moves to the edge of the memorial to give you space. She crosses her arms and eyes you suspiciously from her post.

"So, what do you need?" He chuckles bitterly. "It must be bad, if you're willing to come alone."

---

In the hacienda, the body is sitting there, grinning gruesomely. Everyone is on edge, and tensions are starting to fray. Mestre has been watching from the shadows, but at last he steps forward and looks at Tank.

"It is not Firewing's style to leave liabilities alive. You should not feel much guilt over this man's death. You should, however, manage your temper better." He shakes his hand. "Firewing is a dangerous opponent. Do not be fooled by her laughter and taunts; she is cunning, and fiercely intelligent. Her demented facade is just that: a facade."

"I will deal with the body. You four will speak to each other, and become a team again. Chama, I trust you will not let me down." Mestre delivers a glare that speaks volumes, then hefts the body and walks out. His tone brooks no argument.

The four of you are left alone with a chair, some rope, and the weight of your actions.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Gravitas
    Conditions: Angry, Guilty.
    Burn: Two.

His father's presence hit him with the weight of a mountain, a surge of conflicting emotions rose in his chest, threatened to constrict his throat. Love, Hate, Respect, Fear, Joy, Betrayal. He took a deep breath to steady himself. As his father spoke of Atlas, he nodded, replied, weakly, timidly, "I remember you crying," he couldn't hold his father's eyes, but he remembered that night, it scared him, his father had always seemed invulnerable to him, that was the first time he'd seen that side of him, frail, weak, tired. "It woke me, so I got out of bed and watched from the banister, the door to the study was open." He paused, took a breath and continued.

"Mother tried to console you, but you --," he mentally chided himself, he didn't want to bring up his mother, he didn't want to remember that they were a fractured, broken family. He allowed himself a second, nodded as his father broached the subject of why he'd reached out to him.

"It is," he paused again, he wanted to go through the minutiae of his day, the details of his encounter with Firewing's para-mercenary forces, the tenement conflagration, his subsequent de-brief with the League, their offer of apprenticeship, and his subsequent confrontation with Chama and Centurion.

Part of him wanted to explicitly deny his father that, why should he go to him for advice, when he left their family, left them, for his crusade. He furrowed his brow, focused on moment, his offer of aid to Centurion and his allies.

"I'm sure you saw the news feeds from earlier today," he collected his thoughts, "Firewing and her mercenaries targeted a young hero, an ally to Centurion and his crew. Darkpyre." He bowed his head respectfully, he didn't know the man, but the loss of someone willing to risk his life for others, that was still something to be mourned. "They set explosives, Chama confirmed that they had achieved their objective. I ran into them as they were exiting DarkPyre's sanctuary, thought they were Humanity Now forces," he could see the flash of hatred across his father's impassive face, though it was gone in an instant reigned in with an iron clad will. "I was wrong, Firewing ambushed me, left me for her mercenaries, with the help of Centurion's crew, Tank and some kid calling himself Solar Flare, we stopped them."

He was going into details, and that was dangerous, he didn't know how his father would manipulate events. Maximus was fairly certain that he wouldn't directly attack him, but he certainly had the capacity to play his allies against one another should that provide him with an opportunity to advance his own goals.

"I need to find Firewing, because apparently she's working with Nihilus, and somehow Halcyon City is on his radar." He looked up at Atlas, back to his father ... he held his eyes this time, fought back the tears, the rage, the hurt, "I gave my word, dad," he sobbed, despite his best efforts to reign it in, he missed his father, wanted to run to embrace him, " ... please."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Glitch moves out from behind Tank, abandoning the shadows of the stairwell to walk out into the centre of the concrete floor. Her soles of her black sneakers smack heavily against the cold surface. She stands in the centre, her mask hidden in the shadows of her hood, only the eyeslits visible, two strips of blue light. Looking around the room, Elizabeth takes a moment to observe the faces of each person.

"So, we f***ed up." Her words ring and echo in the absolute quiet of the warehouse. "How will we make sure this never happens again?"

29. - Top - End - #149

BlueKnightGuy

Centurion had turned to look at Chama with utter shock at the commands he issued. Then Mestre stood up, took the body, and left them with the most important and seemingly most impossible task.

It occurred to Trent that he should step up to Mestre, stop him from leaving with the evidence of the murder the rest of their team had apparently just committed. But one word stopped him. 'Team'. They needed to be a team, or they wouldn't be able to stand against Nihilus when he came.

So he just watched the 'old criminal' as Memory had referred to him, walk out. Then he turned to the rest of his team, forcing himself to breathe slowly, calming himself. At Glitch's question, he looked to her.

"For that, someone needs to explain what 'this' was. What happened? Where did this go wrong." He turned to Chama with suspicious eyes. "Also, I need to know just how many bodies you've hidden before, Amigo."

Show

Piercing the mask on both Chama and Glitch. Both rolls were (2d6+1)[7] Actually an 8 on Chama because I have influence on him.

When you pierce someone’s mask to see the person beneath, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask three. On a7-9, ask one.
    For Glitch, I'm going to ask How could I gain Influence over you?
    For Chama, I'm going to ask how could I get your character to go along with Gravitas' idea getting League supervision?

Also, I think I'm using my influence against Chama to change his labels. I'm clearly calling his status as a Savior into question, and think of him as more of a Danger. So -Savior, +Danger.

Show

Last edited by Pyrite; 2017-10-28 at 11:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

"It went wrong a very long time ago. It went wrong when somebody forgot to tell the team that only the cops are allowed to take prisoners." Glitch stops to take a deep breath, feeling tired and achy all over. The room seems vast and unfriendly, every team-mate too far away too reach. "That was our first mistake. Then, for our second mistake, we left our resident rehabilitating murder machine alone.

I think you can put the pieces together from there."
    Elizabeth practically snarls the last words.