New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Zeta Gundam and Marvel: How Gundam did a better job at resistance storyline.

Well, this is based on Marvel's most atrocious Secret Empire, where an ill attempt at satire was made with how most of the marvel citizens aren't concerned about the fact that Hydra ruled the world, not even "I don't want to get shot" apathy. Consider that we even had a few opposition in most oppresive places, entire scene is just idiotic and didn't help that an average intellect of Marvel citizens can't allow them to differentiate between an Imperial aquilla and a parrot. But I watched Zeta and found out that had some jackass blew a nerve gas into an apartment like a colony in Marvel universe, the citizens would praise and even cheer like no other (*cough* Iron Man and Captain marvel *cough* Civil War 1 and 2 *cough*)
    Here's my point.
    - In Zeta Gundam, people actually dislike Titans but can't do so due to Earth Federation's bureaucracy and the fact that they tend to give violent reprisal by using chemical weapons or mobile suit.
    - It wasn't just Argama and AEUG, various people actually pitched in as opposed to Avengers (or at least what's left of it doing the job).
    - When Titans were exposed and finally drew a last straw (namely attacking the assembly), they were finally delegitimized. Unlike Marvel Civil War, where citizens don't even bother with Iron Man, which a smart Feddie might throw him in a brig after sending out a squadron of GM.
    - And gassing people is done by bad guys, unlike Inhumans.
    In conclusion, Gundam actually wrote rebellion storyline better than Marvel Civil War 1 and 2, and Secret Empire. Also no need for evil secret society, just general awful nature of humanity.
    Also imagine entire Marvel Civil War as Zeta Gundam.
    Spoiler: Zeta Gundam spoiler
    Show
    At least Spidey will go bonkers after kicking Iron Man with ghost power right through his chest.
    Also Bullseye as Bask Om, Maria Hill as Jamaican, and I think Jubilee as Katz (annoying kid).
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Zeta Gundam and Marvel: How Gundam did a better job at resistance storyline.

Or better yet, the idiotic and absent-minded nature of Marvel citizens to the point if a titan poisoned an entire apartment block for giggles, they would make him a leader.
    At least, Imperium citizens aren't that dull even if they worship an atheist mummy psychic.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Zeta Gundam and Marvel: How Gundam did a better job at resistance storyline.

In response to near-universal revulsion, they've dropped the coy act and admitted for months that Secret Empire was going to be retconned in some way (and finally came up with... well, this) so we all know this storyline for what it was - a publicity stunt to throw crap at the wall and see what sticks, so they can then scrape it off and hand it over to the infinitely more lucrative movie division to make pies.

In short, yeah the whole thing was dumb, and it's not worth getting worked up over or even discussing much. They're just going to find some new way to push the envelope that will result in less backlash, though hopefully the "Nazi all along" well will stay dry. (Though the "Suddenly, Nazi!" one probably won't - hi there Injustice!)

The only Gundam series I've really been interested in are Wing and G Gundam so can't comment there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, at least the status quo came back.
    - Marvel civilians being dumb as usual.
    I don't know but I've been planning a fanfic of Gundam+Marvel crossovers, like better version of Civil War using Stardust Memory (yes, New Warriors as Kou Uraki and failing to stop a major attack), Zeta Gundam (I mean Registration and Hammers are like Titans, except nerve gassing an entire community will bring cheers instead of jeers; Not sure Skrulls should be Neo-Zeon and Ted as Mineva Zabi even though he's more mature than her), and Char's Counter Attack (imagine Steve Rogers finally realizing how awful marvel civilians and ongoing persecutions against mutants and try to respond to these atrocities by dropping Asteroid M on Earth).
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Gundam has always been a political drama that happens to have mecha in it, of course its going to do a good resistance story line, it not exactly fair go "look how bad marvel is, even gundam did it better.".

Its like saying Mario+Rabbids: kingdom battle is trash because XCOM did it better.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    Gundam has always been a political drama that happens to have mecha in it, of course its going to do a good resistance story line, it not exactly fair go "look how bad marvel is, even gundam did it better.".

Its like saying Mario+Rabbids: kingdom battle is trash because XCOM did it better.
    And no wonder how I am enjoying it also .
    Even if it is not fair, Marvel actually shot themselves in the foot whenever they tried that ALOT and Not to mention failing to account for contexts for like decade worth of learning. Like Iron Man and Captain Marvel not getting their reuppance for doing what Hydra steve did (tell me, has there been any counter protests or a rock fling at them? NO? Closest thing is that bemoaning and other characters pointing out but that's about it. And citizens being treated as morons, which also kill the commentary point for entire storyline (I mean has the same people who grabbed Captain American chewed out Iron Man by the writers? Or ill attempt at they bring jobs hurr durr without realizing that the same not!fascist group has being evil things right in front of the eyes, even if "mind control" chemicals were used but no writers noticed that.)
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Amusingly enough, there are a few things Mario+Rabbids legitimately does better than XCOM and which XCOM should absolutely steal for next entry .

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    so we all know this storyline for what it was - a publicity stunt to throw crap at the wall and see what sticks, so they can then scrape it off and hand it over to the infinitely more lucrative movie division to make pies.
    That's Marvel's writing in a nutshell nowadays. DC's too while we're at it. I mean, superhero comics have a problem in being such a convoluted tangle of continuity that it's hard for new fans to get into it, and as a result sales were suffering for years now. The sensible solution would be to introduce more self-contained stories that don't require the knowledge of the whole 'verse to understand, but "sensible" isn't a word in the two companies' vocabulary. Better to pull off publicity stunts one after another, the more outrageous the better.

Now let's not get ahead of ourselves. Gundam is not bad but it's on average, well, average. Competent and adequate, the most mainstream of mecha shows. There are exceptions both for good and the bad but my point is, it's not some incredibly deep, intellectually involving story. The fact Zeta leaves Secret Empire in the dust as far as believability and reasonable human actions and motivations go? That's shameful for Marvel, especially since Zeta Gundam is a Tomino show and for all his talent and great skills, Tomino sometimes writes like an alien pretending to be human, one who almost gets how humans think but not all the way.

Also like the post above said, Mario + Rabbids did a few things good that X-Com could stand to learn from it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    That's Marvel's writing in a nutshell nowadays. DC's too while we're at it. I mean, superhero comics have a problem in being such a convoluted tangle of continuity that it's hard for new fans to get into it, and as a result sales were suffering for years now. The sensible solution would be to introduce more self-contained stories that don't require the knowledge of the whole 'verse to understand, but "sensible" isn't a word in the two companies' vocabulary. Better to pull off publicity stunts one after another, the more outrageous the better.
    The problem though is, even if they did that, who would read them? Nobody is walking into a comic shop nowadays that isn't at least passingly familiar with what's going on in the medium, and the comics themselves can't really be found anywhere else (save online, which is the same insular paradigm, just with more reach.) There was a time when you could pick up superhero comics at places non-comic-readers could easily find them, like Target or the newsstand - which, incidentally, also no longer exists for the most part.

So we're left with a paradox - self-contained and accessible stories might be the way to bring new fans in, but the only place you could sell those stories are frequented by people who like all the continuity nods and convoluted storylines because they feel clever for getting the references. Hence our current downward spiral - as people who leave the hobby aren't easily replaced and more hobby stores either fail or branch out of comics to other media, which then leaves them with only room to stock the Big 2, which continue their convoluted storylines to sell, which keep fans leaving the hobby from being replaced etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Now let's not get ahead of ourselves. Gundam is not bad but it's on average, well, average. Competent and adequate, the most mainstream of mecha shows. There are exceptions both for good and the bad but my point is, it's not some incredibly deep, intellectually involving story. The fact Zeta leaves Secret Empire in the dust as far as believability and reasonable human actions and motivations go? That's shameful for Marvel, especially since Zeta Gundam is a Tomino show and for all his talent and great skills, Tomino sometimes writes like an alien pretending to be human, one who almost gets how humans think but not all the way.

Also like the post above said, Mario + Rabbids did a few things good that X-Com could stand to learn from it.
    Also include Civil War I and II too.
    What about comparing to Siege and Secret Invasion event?
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Also found a brilliant comparison.
    Spoiler: Civil War "serious"
    Show

A ham-handed attempt at serious issue through using then-contemporary culture as ignorance.
    Spoiler: Gundam Serious
    Show

A speech towards apathetic Federation legislature by pointing out the in-universe issue and actually had the Titans illegitimized.
    Last edited by t209; 2017-09-29 at 08:32 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3