The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Celestia's Finest: Drunk on Love

By all objective measures, Sniper Scope had survived the night. Actually, he'd done a little bit more than just survive. There was the beginning of an understanding with Rainbow Dash and he hadn't killed anyone. Those positive developments made him feel just a bit more at ease with his situation. But not by much.

Nickel Sheen. If only-- No. There was no point in thinking about that misjudgment. What was done was done. He'd live with the consequences. He didn't have time for moping. Not when there was so much work to be done. Sniper finished stripping off his disguise, washed the make-up glue from his face and returned to his apartment's living quarters.

There wasn't much to it: no wall art or decorations, furniture that favored form over function and minimalist personal effects. Most ponies probably wouldn't even consider this a home. That was fine with him. His home would always be on base. This was just a waypoint for him to get some sleep, study and train. He needed to be much better than he was. He'd come up far too short on their last mission and ponies had gotten hurt because he wasn't fast enough, skilled enough or talented enough.

That wasn't going to happen again if he could help it. The constant training also gave him something to do while waiting for the EDF's popularity bubble to burst. He couldn't help but hope that happened soon. He missed the freedom brought on by anonymity.

Well, there was nothing to be done about that now. Sniper unlocked the coffee table's drawer and retrieved a trusty revolver. After training so hard with beam weapons, the weight of a propelled weapon felt off in his hand. But it should be more than enough to dissuade any criminals. This wasn't the nicest side of town and the clientèle matched the price: they'd take what they could. He placed the gun on the table, killed the lights, and dropped into the couch.

Sleep sounded very nice right about now. Not even the loud music of a inconsiderate downstairs neighbors could keep him awake.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Celestia's Finest: Drunk on Love

Sitting in her car, thinking to herself. What a night. Things moved so fast. Maybe, too fast. Love drags a hoof over the scar on her chest, inspecting its coolness. It was nice to see the squad all in one place. Rose being in the hospital put a real dampener on this whole mission lull. It was good to see her out and about. Brazen was doing as well as always. In the group, he's pretty much the icon of stability. His girlfriend is a real cutie. Only person left was Scope and her limited interaction with him was weighing on her. When she got that updated file it was all too much. When was the last time they really talked? She didn't even know he had a girlfriend! That's huge news for the loner. Who was this Fey Nightshade? She had to know.

She'd set up the car a good chunk of a city block away in some squeeze. Knowing Scope that seemed appropriate, he really is paranoid. She has all the tools for an old fashion stakeout. Binoculars, laser mic, special vision, candy. The only problem is that she can't hear a blasted thing. Once his light is out she'll roll her window down, that pleasant street aroma wafts in, and let a little robobug go. The situation isn't ideal, her using her little robot to peck into the various security terminals to hack her way in from afar. Luckily, she has all night, lovebots don't sleep.

All the electronics out of the way, she'll walk on over. A mare all alone at night in some seedy part of town. She's packing heat. If Scope's place has any physical locks she'll cut her way through with her katana. It'll treat an inch of steel like clay. A few sawing motions and she should be through. Now, she needs to find out about this Fey character. There has to be something at the entrance. A jacket. Shoes. Hopefully some identification.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Sorry about the wait! It took me a while to get to the thread.

Love is at the door breaking in. She'll be checking out that entrance area as soon as she gets in. Your move.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-09-12 at 03:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show

And now we know why the dice were so cooperative earlier. Sniper failed his check to wake up.

Perhaps due to her unorthodox means of entrance, or mental exhaustion on his part, Sniper fails to respond to his door locks being rendered inert. That's the good news.

The bad news is that there's nothing in the immediate entryway for Love to steal. No coat. No shoes. No wallet. All of Sniper's personal effects are located on the opposite side of the room. They're reading on a small shelf next to the window.

Why wouldn't they be? Sniper's a Pegasus. He's been coming and going via window since moving in. It keeps him in practice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    I figured you'd just have Scope wake up. P: Love is drunk breaking and entering/rummaging through his things.

Love is basically going to keep searching his house until she gets caught. She's not giving up until she finds info which doesn't exist.

Dang, nothing. The entrance way gets one last scan before she moves into the room. An attempt at closing the door behind her fails, and she doesn't realize that its ajar. She spots her target objects. And, a sleeping Scope with a gun out. She'll flick her goggles between the visual modes and zoom in on his face. Wow, the neighborhood felt a little dangerous, and Nightshade really needs to move if Scope feels he has to sleep with a gun out. Heh, did she kick him to the couch for not bringing her to the party? Love chuckles to herself. Or, maybe they're not to the point that they share a bed. She'll make her way over to what looks like the personal effects. If she doesn't find anything there. Maybe the bedroom? She wouldn't want to wake Nightshade up though, so she'll tiptoe around.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Love's commotion succeeds where her entrance failed. Sniper was abruptly kocked back to consciousness. His brain immediately registered that there was someone else in the room-- someone he didn't invite.

He remained still for a moment and risked a quick look around the room. One intruder at the door to the bedroom. Might be more in the bedroom but he wasn't hearing any commotion or conversation from that direction.

Right, then, time to act.

Sniper snatched the revolver and then catapulted himself upward and forward. His wings took over and propelled him off the couch as he brought his weapon to bear at the interloper.

"Freeze! Hooves up or I'll shoot!"
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2017-09-13 at 12:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

She turned the handle for the bedroom. A catastrophic error, apparently. All she knew was this crazy pony was shouting things at her. Fight or flight, Love choose the later. It couldn't be said that she swung her sword, but she did wave it, sorta. Her drunken grip not the best she ends up dropping the blade on her other arm. "Buck!," She yells and crumples to the floor holding her injury.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-09-13 at 12:14 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Wait a moment. Now that his brain had time to process the situation, Sniper found himself connecting dots. He knew that voice. And sword. And crazy antics.

He hovered backward and then dropped to the ground next to the front entryway. One wing grazed the open door, drawing a baffled look. Sniper turned his attention to flipping the light switch.

As illumination flooded the room, he found his suspicion confirmed.

"Love? What in tarnation? Are you just trying to get yourself killed?"
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2017-09-13 at 12:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

In a pained voice, "Cutting myself apparently!" She holds the gash in her arm, that's leaking stuff everywhere. It looks pretty deep. "Do you have a first aid kit? I'm bleeding everywhere. I don't plan on getting myself killed, and I'm not going to let it be death by friendly fire."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"It's a drone body, Love."

The observation had to be made. It wasn't as though Love was in actual mortal danger. At most she would be out some bits. Forgive him for being slightly less than alarmed when the injury was the result of breaking into his apartment.

But, he wasn't entirely heartless. Fortunately for Love, he'd been learning about first aid and basic medical care. So he did, in fact, have a kit on hand. Sniper retrieved it and approached the Love Bot.

"Hold out you arm and stay still. Hopefully, your drones follow the basic rules of pony physiology."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"I know! I can't train myself to not respond. You press the wrong button on the wrong control and sometimes you don't a chance to correct yourself."

Love will keep pressing on the wound while her eyes follow him around.

She'll stick her arm out for he can dress it. "It's designed out of living flesh. It's maximum compatible to Rose. They couldn't perfectly mimic the inside, but it should follow the same rules. Just pretend you're working on a medical dummy." Even with Scope in front of her she keeps searching for another body.

"Hey, where is your girlfriend? Shouldn't we be worried about waking her up?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The question stopped Sniper's administration of first aid before it even began. He stared blankly at Love. Finally, he found his voice.

"Girlfriend? What makes you think--?" His voice died as the answer hit him. Only someone as smart as Love could be so stupid at times.

He began treating her arm. She was right, it was just like a practice dummy.

"I ought to call the cops and have you thrown in the drunk tank." He grumbled.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

She raises an eyebrow at his denial. 'That wasn't very smooth Scope.' "He ich." Is he blushing?

Love laughs. "They'd never catch me! You saw my car earlier. The shiny chrome makes it go faster than cop cars. That, and the engine." She chuckles. "Soo, do I get to meet her?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

How had his life devolved into this? Sniper pondered his options as he dressed Love's wound. There weren't many considering how stubborn Love could be.

"That depends. Are you too inebriated to read?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

She stands with a wobble. "Huh? Oh, is it a long distance relationship?" She points to him with her good arm. "I don't like how you keep saying I'm inbreded. Just because I'm drunk doesn't mean that I'm not of sound mind. Even if I was having trouble focusing I have text to voice. Is it spicy?"
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-09-13 at 09:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

And with that... It was time to put an end to this charade.

Sniper rose. He opened the bedroom door and entered the room. From a bookcase he pulled a worn paperback novel. As he returned to the front room, Sniper flipped through the pages. He marked a spot and extended it to Love.

"Page 93, second paragraph. That's her."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Love tries to clear her mind in anticipation of the spice. She's no unicorn though. A little spell to ease up drunkenness is beyond her abilities.

She whistles when she see's him with a big stack of paper. The book in her hands, she struggles to find the second paragraph. He can see her searching, finding something, and then starting over again. It turns out she's not too drunk to read; however, her reading is horribly slow. She sighs and lowers the book to look at Scope. "You don't have a girlfriend do you?"
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-09-13 at 09:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Never have." Sniper replied. "I borrowed a female name from the book and put it on the lease to make it harder for any pony to find me. Obviously, that didn't work."

He took the book back. Then he surveyed the damage. The door was... not going to operate as intended until the locks were changed. He might have to replace the door jam as well. It was hard to tell from this angle. Nothing else seemed to be broken. It was just disturbed.

"Which means you owe me a new set of doorknobs." He groused.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"Never?" she reflexively asks him. She'll fold the book closed and offer it back to him.

Him asking for a new door? Love raises her snout into the air, "Nope! This is your fault. Secrets have a cost."
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-09-14 at 03:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sniper's look turned incredulous. He couldn't tell if Love was drunk, pathologic or both.

"You could have just asked."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Love stiffens her posture for fighting. Her voice rising slightly, "I could have just asked!?" She grunts and sulks back down. She's giving herself time to calm down. If Scope tries to interrupt she'll put her tr-fingers up to stop him.

Breathing out, she starts talking again in her normal voice, "I'm not sure you would have given me the truth. And, that's not even the problem. Was I miraculously suppose to guess that you got a girlfriend and happen to just ask about it? A conversation, a question needs a nucleus to germinate around. I know nothing about you!" She points at him. "Can I even trust you? I do, but should I? I trust you to save my flank! And, you won't even tell me a Luna dam thing about yourself. You're all secrets to me!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Seems to me," Sniper's voice was careful and neutral. He was trying not to escalate the situation but he'd be blasted if he was going to take that one lying down. "That you did a marvelously good job of magically knowing where I was and whose name was on the lease."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you think I like doing this?" Her eyes start turning pink, water forming in the corners of her eyes. "I have to steal my friend's information to learn a blasted thing about him! Are we even friends!?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This was insane. He was angry enough to punch a wall, kick a chair or do... anything to vent some frustration. But he did none of these things. If he allowed himself to lose control, then there would be no coming back.

Sniper willed himself to calm down. He took several deep breathes and released them slowly.

"So it's mutually assured destruction. I clam up because you go digging into my life and you go digging into my life because I clam up. The situation escalates and eventually you end up cutting yourself on my carpet. Wonderful."

He sighed. He was calmer, but still frustrated. "There's nothing to tell, Love. I live a very empty life. I have no close friends outside the squad. I have no life outside of the job."

There was a moment's pause. He stopped himself just shy of saying anything hurtful.

"I write pulp fiction on the side and read a lot. That's about the only other things I can tell you... That and my father initially wanted to name me 'Boom Headshot'. He only relented when my mother threatened a divorce."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

His anger doesn't totally escape her notice. A spark of fear lights up in her eyes and she every so slightly moves back. Her movement escapes her own notice. Only half the ground is recovered when he immediately calms down.

"No!" she declares at him saying they're path is an unavoidable destruction. "We can save our friendship." She's full on crying now.

"I don't know a single thing about you. And, there is nothing to tell!?"

Her eyes light up when he says he writes books. "Good, good! Tell me more!" She'll outright refuse his answer and shake her head when he says that's all he can tell.

Tears are running down her cheeks onto the floor. "Do you not think I have my own painful secrets?" She pounds her chest. Cutting straight to the heart of the matter. "Tell me! Why won't you hug me?"
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-09-14 at 09:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

At that, he very nearly lost it. Love had the audacity to break into his place, raise a ruckus and then accuse him of being at fault because of a hug?

"Because I'm a monster!" The outburst took him by surprise and took much of his anger with it. Suddenly, he looked exhausted. He felt exhausted.

He collapsed onto the sofa.

"It's okay." He said quietly. "I'm not going to get violent. It's just... A very complicated answer."

It was a good thing this was the low rent district. Otherwise someone would have called the cops by now.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"So what!", she yelled back at him.

Still loud, "So, what. You're hard on yourself. You think that your stupid Cutie Mark is somehow so important to ruin your entire life." She points at him. "You're the only one or thing responsible for yourself. Don't try to blame all your problems on some supernatural birthmark on your flank." She starts walking over so she can see him on the couch.

She quiets down. "Violence? So what. We're violent by trade." She grabs her wounded arm and squeezes it hard enough to draw blood again. "You think I care about a flesh wound!?" She grabs the katana scar on her chest. "My heart is what hurts. My heart aches for you. You won't reach out to me. And, you smack away my hoof when I reach out to you. It may be complicated, but I'm here now and ready to listen. What? You want me to go first? You want to know what's eating me alive inside? I'll go first. I'll share with you. You know why? That's because that's friends do. They share. They help carry each other through the difficult spots. They don't have to do it. It's not their responsiblity, but they do it because they want to. I want to help you. She sticks her hoof out to him. "Let me help you!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If it would shut her up, right now Sniper would hug her a dozen times over. This melodrama was both pointless and aggravating. But, then, he was dealing with a drunk. Drunk ponies weren't known for rationality.

He didn't want the help of an addle-brained mare who couldn't take things seriously. He didn't need to be fixed because there was no fixing him. That no pony understood that was... Infuriating.

"Love." Sniper said with finality. "I promise you, if you'll stop ranting and raving and sit down so we can deal with this like adults, I'll make an honest effort to talk this out."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Love sighs, wipes the tears from her eyes, and sits down. "Fine. I'll cut the act, only for you Scope. Let's talk things out just like you want."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sniper pressed a hoof to his face. Love was acting? Why should he trust her at all? Ugh. This sad nothing but disfunction.

"What do you want to know?" He asked without looking up.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

She serves her question on a presented hoof. "Why won't you hug me, engage with me? What's the cause? Why do you struggle with intimacy? I need to be able to understand you Scope. Us not understanding each other is only going to create more problems in the future. We barely got through that last mission. We need to work as a team. And, in order to do succeed we must understand the others thinking a bit better"