New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: [PF] Council of Thieves IC - Bastards of Erebus

Marcius, expecting trouble even though they're momentarily free of the hellknights, pulls his weapon out of his pack, though he makes sure not to stab anyone with it.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGirl

Fiune follows Morosino with her crossbow at the ready in case there is an ambush waiting for us.

3. - Top - End - #33

BardGirl

Fiune whispers to Taurg, "Thanks for the light, I can't see too well down here and all these shadows are giving me the creeps. I'm okay with the dark when the moon is out, but down here it's too dark!"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Akane Had been in silent agreement with the venture (morality and likely profit? Sign me up!), but had decided to see how many others joined up before saying yes. Then things had gone all wrong. Figures, this is what you get when you stick your neck out.

"Wait up for me, I'd...rather not deal with the guard right now..." She said as she slipped swiftly into the sewer with the others. Yanking her blade free of her belt and holding it at her side just in case, the Kitsune in human form wrinkled her nose in disgust at the smell. "Ugh, sewers, it had to be sewers..."
    Last edited by Vozen; 2017-09-15 at 05:13 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Taurg

Taurg holds up the sunrod so others can see in the pitch black of the sewers and nods to Fiune's thanks. "How far is the way out? I dun need the light so can scout ahead if needed or bring up the rear.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll rear guard. If they catch up, I'll engage. Drop the sun rod and run, in that case. The Saviour-Hound will guide my blade!

Giano makes sure everyone is past before falling in behind.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

The secret tunnel under Vizio’s Tavern is rough-hewn and leads down along a 20-foot-long, 5-foot-wide hallway to a simple wooden door. The opposite side of the door has a wooden bar; as the group and their guides pass through, Janiven bars the door to help slow the sure-tobe- following Hellknights. Janiven also lights her sunrod. On the other side of the door is a sewer tunnel running to the left and right.

Morosino quickly points out a mark on the way. “Look for these. This one means we should flee to the left. Look for these marks at every intersection, if we get separated. The sword always points in the direction of the safe house.”

Janiven explains, “Arael and I made these marks a few months ago when we explored the sewers. We marked all the intersections so our people could find their way through the sewers to our hideout.

“Unfortunately, since that time, some of our marks have succumbed to water, subterranean flora, and vandalism by things living in the sewers, and the route is no longer perfectly clear. Be careful in case we get separated.”

However, before you all begin you flight through the sewers, she pushes aside a rock near the entrance to reveal a small hollow in the wall and sighs in relief. “Good,” she says, “They’re still here.” She apparently stashed a small cache of healing potions here a few weeks ago in the event of an emergency just like this one. “These will come in handy since I don’t think we have time to stop and rest as long as the Hellknights are after us.” She splits the potions up among the group (OOC: You each get three Potions of Cure Light Wounds).

As you head down the first path, the noise of the Hellknights back at Vizio’s Tavern diminishes, but Janiven is sure they’ll follow.

“They might take a few minutes to search in the tavern, but some are going to follow us down here after they grab a lantern or make torches. They might even try to infiltrate the sewers ahead of us if they can guess our route. I recognized the insignia on their armor. Those Hellknights belong to the Order of the Rack. I can work with some Hellknights, but that is one company even I don't want to mess with. We need to keep moving.”

Westcrown’s sewer system is a marvel of ancient engineering, designed by the same geniuses who built the Arch of Aroden in Corentyn. Though Westcrown is barely above sea level, the cleverly designed sewer tunnels continue to carry Westcrown’s filth away, and for the most part, citizens never think about the sanitation process that keeps the city relatively free of waste-borne illness. Individual tunnels are buttressed and rarely more than 5 feet high, forcing taller characters to stoop but not otherwise hindering most activity. Most tunnels are 10 feet wide, with a 3-foot-deep trench for sewage and water taking up half that width—even at peak flow the water level is an inch or more below the level of the walking side of the tunnel. Rainwater enters the sewers from tiny barred grates in the streets, most so small that an adult halfling couldn’t squeeze through, and travels through an angled pipe that directs the runoff to the closest tunnel’s drainage side, exiting about a foot above the peak flow-level of the sewer channel.

Entrances to (and thus exits from) the sewers are relatively rare. Since the sewers are so well engineered, the need for cleaning and maintenance is lower than in most cities. Entrances consist of rusted metal ladders leading up from the sewer to rectangular iron trap doors 10 feet above. Unfortunately, the city of Westcrown keeps all sewer entrances securely locked in order to prevent undesirables from using the sewers to move through the city with ease.

The sewer has no permanent lights. Even during the day, most have dim illumination at best from light trickling in though the drainage grates. This fading light as the sun begins to set spurs you on to get to the safe house Janiven is leading them to, but once night falls, anyone without a some means of seeing in the dark is going to need a light source.

Spoiler: OOC Information
    Show
    If you want to know more (The Hellknights, the sewers, Janiven, etc.), you will have to make the appropriate skill rolls.

Also, for choosing to follow Janiven, you all get 200 XP.
    ~There is nothing more tragic than when a loving family is torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wolves.

8. - Top - End - #38

Goblin

Gustavo steps lightly through the sewers, raising her dress and trying to keep the filth off as best as possible.

"Not exactly the best circumstances to be meetimg new fellows. The dinner was much nicer, not often i take a walk through the sewers."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Marcius is used to fighting alone in the dark, so it's nice to have a group and a light source this time. That said, he's not so sure that some of them could survive alone in the sewers. "We should try our best to stay together. We've got safety in numbers and more eyes to spot danger."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theasl View Post
    "We should try our best to stay together. We've got safety in numbers and more eyes to spot danger."
    Akane gave a hum of affirmation, then spoke "Agreed, the more the merrier and all that rot. Let's get moving before we're followed. I'd normally take point, but in pitch darkness even my keen eyes won't do much...and the one spell I know that can help won't last long enough for this trek. Anyone who can see in this blackness, you first."

With that, she motioned with he free hand to the party, a hint of urgency in her motions.
    Last edited by Vozen; 2017-09-16 at 05:36 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Taurg

Taurg hands the sunrod to Akane and takes the point, moving quietly, following the marks as requested.

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Stealth (1d20+7)[16]
    Perception (1d20+6)[25]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Giano follows, just out of the brightest ring of the sunrod's glow. He purposefully avoids looking at the light source and keeps looking behind for the flare of torches.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+3)[5]
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Akane walks right behind Taurg lightly, holding the sunrod high above her head and peering into the darkness before her.

Show
    Perception: (1d20+4)[13]
    Stealth: (1d20+7)[24]
    Last edited by Vozen; 2017-09-16 at 03:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

You come to a four-way intersection has two small plank bridges allowing easy crossing of the sewer channels. One corner of the intersection has a larger area for the sewer channel with multiple pipes in the wall nearby. A door stands near a drainage channel in the wall, leading to a small side room that contains a cesspit. An archway connecting the main channel to the cesspit is only 1 foot higher than the level of the walking area—enough that a human could get through, but it would require touching the sewage.

As you enter the intersection, there is a loud screech as a goblin jumps out and strikes with his dogslicer, a crude slashing weapon, at Giano. After his useless attack, his eyes grow wide as he realizes that there are more people in the group than he has anticipated. He attempts to back away.

Spoiler: Dice Rolls
    Show
    Attack: [roll0]
    If Giano beats the initiative, he won’t be flat-footed. Either way, the goblin will attempt to disengage next.
    Last edited by Justicar; 2017-09-16 at 05:41 PM.
    ~There is nothing more tragic than when a loving family is torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wolves.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

"By the Hound! If he hadn't screeched like that he would have had me!".

Giano sweeps a wide arc with his Falchion, seeking to cleave the beast in two.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Attack (1d20+4)[7] for (2d4+8)[10] Slashing damage

Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Akane dashed down the path and poised herself to attack with her trusty rapier. The sunrod held in her off-hand, the thief thrust forward with her blade. "Bah, damned pest!"

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Attack (1d20+4)[15] for (1d8)[4] piercing damage.

17. - Top - End - #47

Goblin

Gustavo scans the area for more goblins, and prepares herself to fling her magic at any sign of a larger group of them.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Perception Check: (1d20+1)[7]
    Holding my action to cast color spray if there is a group of at least 3 goblins spotted.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As the group advances, Marcius hears a shriek and sees a goblin coming out of nowhere, sword raised. His initial thought is that it could provide some useful information on what else could be down in the sewers, but as the others spring to attack, he feels no choice but to join in, striking at the creature with his klar.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    attack (1d20+3)[17]
    damage (1d6+2)[8]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Taurg

Taurg sees the goblin attack at the far end of the group and forces himself stay flush to the wall and scan the whole area for more goblins. They don't tend to be solitary creatures.

Show
    Stealth(1d20+7)[16]
    Perception (1d20+6)[25]
    Knowledge(Local) (1d20+8)[25] + (1d6)[6] for knowledge of goblins

20. - Top - End - #50

Marcius's klar neatly opens up the goblin from shoulder to hip. As a dying scream escaped its lips, the goblin's hand lashed out and found a small lever. The goblin's dead weight pulled the down as it fell, lifeless.

There is a loud rumble that seems to shakes the entire sewer. You all hear a low roar that grows louder and louder. You realize that the lever must have opened some distance tidewheel. Before any of you can react, a torrent of sewer water surges into the intersection. The raging river of sewage neatly bisects the causeway, dividing the group from Janiven and her ward. The waters are too deep, too violent and too wide to safely cross.

"Keep following the markings," Janiven shouts over the roaring waters. "I will meet you at the safe house."

21. - Top - End - #51

BardGirl

Fiune picks up the fox which had been walking by her side up until now. Tucking her under her arm, she runs as fast as she can to keep up with the taller party members.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Taurg

Taurg begins to move ahead, following the marks. "Follow, only as close as you need to. I would rather not be in full light."

23. - Top - End - #53

Moving along a side channel, you go about 60 feet before coming to another intersection. However, this one is partially collapsed and blocks a number of exits. There are three man-sized purples mushrooms growing among the rubble.

24. - Top - End - #54

BardGirl

Intrigued, Fiune walks up to and examines the mushrooms.

Spoiler: Nature check
    Show
    (d20+7)[27]

25. - Top - End - #55

Fiune starts to approach the mushrooms when she suddenly recognizes them. They are known as 'shriekers'. These human-sized purple mushroom emits a piercing sound that lasts for a few seconds whenever there is movement or a light source within 10 feet. This shriek makes it impossible to hear any other sound within 50 feet. The sound can attracts nearby creatures that have learned that this noise means there is food or an intruder nearby.

It is unclear if those are those are naturally grown or were purposefully placed there at the intersection. However, it will take some careful maneuvering to make it past them without setting them off.

Spoiler: OOC Information
    Show

If you want to avoid activating the shriekers, you will need to extinguish all light sources. Then you will have to make either a Climb, Acrobatics or Stealth check to make it past. DC 10 for those with darkvision, DC 15 with those with lowlight vision and DC 20 for normal vision. Those with darkvision can use aid others for those that without any special vision.

26. - Top - End - #56

BardGirl

Fiune relays the information she knows about the shriekers to the others in a whisper. "We're going to need to get past or find another way I'm afraid...."
    Last edited by apheline; 2017-09-17 at 07:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Taurg

"We really have no option, but to get past, unless we know another way out. I think the real question is whether there is more to gain by taking time to try to get past quietly than just rushing past."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HappyMerecat View Post
    "We really have no option, but to get past, unless we know another way out. I think the real question is whether there is more to gain by taking time to try to get past quietly than just rushing past."
    "I say we give sneaking a shot. If it goes wrong we bolt." Akane said, handing the sunrod back to Taurg "Here, pocket this, I have a better source of illumination for this bit."

Without further prompting, the woman held her free hand forward. With a small spark of magic called from within, four wisp-like Dancing Lights appeared past the Shriekers, holding position and forming a diamond pattern in the center of the pathway. The illumination was dim at the Shriekers, but far from non-existent. Interestingly it was not the work of a scroll or the arts of a wizard, the trained eye would note that it somewhat resembled sorcery, at least roughly.

"I'll go first...you can go last if you want orc-boy, I imagine those eyes of yours might actually do better without this spell. Hurry everyone, this won't last long." With that, Akane presses herself against the far wall and starting moving forward at a cautions pace. She tried to sneak past the mushrooms with as much grace as she could muster.

Stealth: (1d20+7)[9]

29. - Top - End - #59

Goblin

Gustavo watches nervously as Akane attempts to sneak by. She looks over to Taurg, lightly placing a hand upon his shoulder,

"Orc-boy...Taurg was it?
    I'm not usually horribly quiet, I don't suppose you could help me sneak by?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Without saying a word, Marcius tries to sneak by as well.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    should have bought earplugs...

DC20 stealth (1d20+6)[18] (+2 if aided)