New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Pathfinder Sorcerer Build

So I am joining a new gaming group and I elected to roll a sorcerer considering there was no arcane caster, aside from the bard. I was curious if my logic is correct and that I didn't make any mistakes, or if there were better options available. Here it is:

STR. 12
    DEX. 12
    CON. 12
    INT. 13
    WIS. 9
    CHA. 17
    HP: 7 (1d6+1)
    AC: 12 T11 FF11
    FORT. +3 (1Ability + 0Sorc + 2Luck)
    RFLX. +3 (1Ability + 0Sorc + 2Luck)
    WILL. +3 (-1Ability + 2Sorc + 2Luck)
    BAB +0
    INIT. +1
    Speed: Run 30ft.
    Languages: Common, Orc
    CMB: +1
    CMD: 12

Proficiencies: Simple Weapons, Greataxes, Falchions

Feats:
    CB: Varisian Tattoo (+1CL Evocation)
    1st: Spell Focus - Evocation
    FB: Alertness (Familiar must be in arm’s reach)

Armor: Haramaki (+1AC) No ACP, No AF%

Attack: Greataxe +1 hit, 1d12+1 *3 (Slashing)

Traits:
    1. Brute (+1 Intimidate)
    2. Gifted Adept – Burning Hands (+1CL)
    3. Fate’s Favored (+1 on Luck bonuses)
    DB: Provincial (-2 Diplomacy and Sense Motive)

Special Abilities:
    1. Orc Blood
    2. Sacred Tattoo
    3. Weapon Familiarity
    4. Draconic Bloodline (Brass, Fire)
    5. Favored Class Bonus (+1HP/level)
    6. Darkvision (60ft)
    7. Tattooed Sorcerer Archetype
    a. Familiar Tattoo – Viper

Spells: DC13 + Spell Level (Fire Spells: +1 Damage per die rolled, +1/2 to fire spell damage) (Evocation +1DC, +1CL)
    0th: At-Will
    1. Open/Close
    2. Spark
    3. Detect Magic
    4. Ghost Sound

1st: 3 + 1/day
    1. Burning Hands (3d4+3+50%, RFLX15 Half, 15ft Cone)
    2. Infernal Healing

Spell-like ability: 3/day dancing Lights

I put my skill ranks (3; 1 from class, 1 from favored class bonus, 1 from skilled racial trait) in Bluff (+10), Intimidate (+10), and Perception (+5).

Half-orc for flavor and intimidate bonus (fits idea in my head).
    Stats were rolled randomly (3d6, then assigned, I put the +2 into CHA already).
    I wanted to focus on blasting mostly.

It's been a while since I played Pathfinder (been in 5e), and I wanted to make sure I did this right.

Your thoughts Playground?

EDIT: I swapped my INT and WIS and CON to current values, swapped Jolt for Detect Magic, and adjusted spell formula. Additionally, I swapped out skilled for Darkvision.

Also, I am not sure how long this campaign will go, as I am entirely new to this group. My friend said that their last campaign ended around 14th, but he also has no clue about how long this one will go.

The idea with pumping burning hands is to wipe out the goons and leave the BBEG to the Fighter mostly. Also, the typical pyromaniac archetype is coming into play.
    Last edited by carrdrivesyou; 2017-09-14 at 11:51 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Sorcerer Build

Let's see now. Sorcerers take a while to get going; level 1 tends to favour Wizard since they hit both, level 2 and level 3 spells early and both are huge leaps in power. I noticed you put a lot of resources into Burning Hands but...how long do you foresee the campaign going? Generally I'd just recommend using the spells that really shine on low levels without effort such as Color Spray and Sleep, and adding other stuff as it naturally comes in the flow of leveling. But 3d4+3 * 1.5 averages 16 damage with a save for half, which is actually pretty good for this level (nearly matches a two-handing Barbarian's numbers and is multitargeting).

I don't see you really adding much the others couldn't do; arcanists are the only type with strong Will/Reflex-attacking disables from level 1 (Grease, Color Spray, Sleep, etc.) - but Infernal Healing is convenient and you'll get more spells as you level up. And if they're dead, they're quite controlled, so aside from big sacs of HP or fire resistant thingies, you should do more than fine. If you plan on going long though, burning all these resources on a thing that will keep getting worse (fire resistance is painfully common higher up and immunity will keep cropping up) and lacking the access to the Human Favored Class option to add spells known is quite painful.

EDIT: Though the Half-Orc favored class bonus only adds ˝ POINT per favored class bonus. So on level 2 you'd have +1 damage total from the favored class bonuses. Also, you seem to have both, skill point and racial favored class bonus...? Generally you only pick one.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2017-09-14 at 10:14 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

You can't get a favored class bonus and the extra skill rank-one or the other. Perception is not a class skill so you should only have a +2 in it, +4 from familiar alertness.

If it is not too late, swap wis and int. You have strong will saves, but not a lot of skills to throw around. I would also replace open/close with detect magic. You probably won't use jolt since you have a greataxe for backup. Might want to get a crossbow as well to have a ranged option.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

4. - Top - End - #4

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Let's see now. Sorcerers take a while to get going; level 1 tends to favour Wizard since they hit both, level 2 and level 3 spells early and both are huge leaps in power. I noticed you put a lot of resources into Burning Hands but...how long do you foresee the campaign going? Generally I'd just recommend using the spells that really shine on low levels without effort such as Color Spray and Sleep, and adding other stuff as it naturally comes in the flow of leveling. But 3d4+3 * 1.5 averages 16 damage with a save for half, which is actually pretty good for this level (nearly matches a two-handing Barbarian's numbers and is multitargeting).

I don't see you really adding much the others couldn't do; arcanists are the only type with strong Will/Reflex-attacking disables from level 1 (Grease, Color Spray, Sleep, etc.) - but Infernal Healing is convenient and you'll get more spells as you level up. And if they're dead, they're quite controlled, so aside from big sacs of HP or fire resistant thingies, you should do more than fine. If you plan on going long though, burning all these resources on a thing that will keep getting worse (fire resistance is painfully common higher up and immunity will keep cropping up) and lacking the access to the Human Favored Class option to add spells known is quite painful.

EDIT: Though the Half-Orc favored class bonus only adds ˝ POINT per favored class bonus. So on level 2 you'd have +1 damage total from the favored class bonuses. Also, you seem to have both, skill point and racial favored class bonus...? Generally you only pick one.
    I was a bit unsure about how the favored class bonus worked. Can you please explain how I am only getting +1 damage on the spell bonus?

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Geddy2112 View Post
    You can't get a favored class bonus and the extra skill rank-one or the other. Perception is not a class skill so you should only have a +2 in it, +4 from familiar alertness.

If it is not too late, swap wis and int. You have strong will saves, but not a lot of skills to throw around. I would also replace open/close with detect magic. You probably won't use jolt since you have a greataxe for backup. Might want to get a crossbow as well to have a ranged option.
    I got perception from draconic bloodline.

6. - Top - End - #6

Default Re: Pathfinder Sorcerer Buildb

Quote Originally Posted by carrdrivesyou View Post
    I was a bit unsure about how the favored class bonus worked. Can you please explain how I am only getting +1 damage on the spell bonus?
    Each level you take in your favoured class, you get one of the applicable favored class bonuses. The Half-orc one adds +1/2 points of damage to all your fire spells per level. So take it once, +1/2, twice for +1, thrice for +1 1/2, four times for +2. On level 10, assuming you've taken the bonus on every level, you'll have flat +5 to damage on all your fire spells. Taking it once only gives you half a point so taking it repeatedly is key - and even then, the Human option of adding more spells known is just way more useful in the long run.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2017-09-14 at 10:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

For every level of Sorcerer that you take, your fire spells will deal 1/2 a point more damage. Thus, at (Sorcerer) level 2, you'll deal 1 extra point of damage with fire spells, at level 4, you'll deal 2 extra points of damage, and so on. This is assuming that you are choosing the Half-Orc favored class bonus every time, and not one of the default favored class bonuses of either +1 HP per level or +1 skill point per level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder Sorcerer Buildb

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Each level you take in your favoured class, you get one of the applicable favored class bonuses. The Half-orc one adds +1/2 points of damage to all your fire spells per level. So take it once, +1/2, twice for +1, thrice for +1 1/2, four times for +2. On level 10, assuming you've taken the bonus on every level, you'll have flat +5 to damage on all your fire spells. Taking it once only gives you half a point so taking it repeatedly is key - and even then, the Human option of adding more spells known is just way more useful in the long run.
    Heh, I wish they had given a bit more detail on that in the books. That makes more sense than a free Empower effect on all fire spells. Looks like +1 HP here I come haha! Thanks for the clarification!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You probably want to mess with your ability scores to get a 13 in int, you seem to be going for a blast build with caster level boosts, that means you really want to be able to take the spell specialization feat, which requires you to have 13 int.
    STR. 12
    DEX. 12
    CON. 12
    INT. 13
    WIS. 9
    CHA. 17
    Should do it, you have an innately good will save progression so you don't need wis, this also gives you more skill points, you'll probably want some points in fly (you're going to end up with overland flight/fly active a lot later and want to be able to reliably maneuver) and spellcraft.
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2017-09-14 at 11:37 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    You probably want to mess with your ability scores to get a 13 in int, you seem to be going for a blast build with caster level boosts, that means you really want to be able to take the spell specialization feat, which requires you to have 13 int.
    STR. 12
    DEX. 12
    CON. 12
    INT. 13
    WIS. 9
    CHA. 17
    Should do it, you have an innately good will save progression so you don't need wis, this also gives you more skill points, you'll probably want some points in fly (you're going to end up with overland flight/fly active a lot later and want to be able to reliably maneuver) and spellcraft.
    I hadn't thought of Spell Spec. I'm glad you brought that up! I have adjusted as needed.

Unfortunately, I'm gonna say no to Spellcraft, because this is a character that has no real formal training in magical arts and is trying to figure out his powers as he goes along. Spellcraft just doesn't fit that idea I don't think.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

As a half-orc you are entitled to take the human favored class bonus instead of the half-orc one, which for sorcerers is an extra spell known of any level lower than your highest per sorcerer level. It's a powerful option and definitely worth considering, if not now then when you hit 4th level and can take 1st-level spells with it. Overall, that's 16 additional spells known of levels 1-8.

It also feels like you should be dumping Str to 10 and taking one point out of Wis (a 9 does nothing over an 8 except provide you with 1 extra HP against Wis damage) in order to get an 18 Cha. I know you have a greataxe, but unless you're planning on doing a gish build, it's never going to be a useful option (short of maybe spells that animate it, and those tend to use your Cha instead of Str), so you might as well suck up the 10 in order to get +1 on save DCs and more bonus spells.

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut920 View Post
    As a half-orc you are entitled to take the human favored class bonus instead of the half-orc one, which for sorcerers is an extra spell known of any level lower than your highest per sorcerer level. It's a powerful option and definitely worth considering, if not now then when you hit 4th level and can take 1st-level spells with it. Overall, that's 16 additional spells known of levels 1-8.

It also feels like you should be dumping Str to 10 and taking one point out of Wis (a 9 does nothing over an 8 except provide you with 1 extra HP against Wis damage) in order to get an 18 Cha. I know you have a greataxe, but unless you're planning on doing a gish build, it's never going to be a useful option (short of maybe spells that animate it, and those tend to use your Cha instead of Str), so you might as well suck up the 10 in order to get +1 on save DCs and more bonus spells.
    All good points friend! However...

I figure take the HP for lower levels and the Spells at levels where it will matter (4th and above), as bonus cantrips seem a bit superfluous compared to HP at level 1. (Is there a particular cantrip that is deemed as "Must-Have?")

As for the ability scores, I cannot manipulate anything but their placement. We rolled them in front of the DM and he recorded them. Only racial modifiers can change them. Although I can swap their placement around as I see fit. (Your Suggestions please? Keep in mind the 17 CHA was originally 15 before +2 from H-Orc.)

Lastly, the Greataxe. This is just a backup option in case I run out of spells, which one is bound to do at low levels. I was going to go ranged, but it just doesn't fit the flavor (I'm big on mechanics fitting flavor, and optimizing from there).

13. - Top - End - #13

All good points friend! However...

I figure take the HP for lower levels and the Spells at levels where it will matter (4th and above), as bonus cantrips seem a bit superfluous compared to HP at level 1. (Is there a particular cantrip that is deemed as "Must-Have?")

As for the ability scores, I cannot manipulate anything but their placement. We rolled them in front of the DM and he recorded them. Only racial modifiers can change them. Although I can swap their placement around as I see fit. (Your Suggestions please? Keep in mind the 17 CHA was originally 15 before +2 from H-Orc.)

Lastly, the Greataxe. This is just a backup option in case I run out of spells, which one is bound to do at low levels. I was going to go ranged, but it just doesn't fit the flavor (I'm big on mechanics fitting flavor, and optimizing from there).
    Honestly, given the kind of Sorc you're building I'd just throw Alchemist's Fires when you run out of spells and don't want to use cantrips (though remember, you have cantrips too). And yeah, HP is nice though I tend towards skills myself since Sorc really has a dearth of those.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, I was mostly mentioning the human FCB as a thing to keep in mind for the future, because all of the "essential" cantrips (detect magic, read magic, prestidigitation, and dancing lights) easily fit within a sorcerer's spells known. Daze is a pretty solid cantrip at low levels as well, and could reasonably be subbed for read magic (sorcerers can't learn from scrolls, so read magic isn't nearly as essential for them) and you grab read magic at higher level.

Seeing as your scores are all based off of rolls and thus unalterable, your placement is fairly solid. I'd swap Str and Wis, personally, but since you're interested in actually using that greataxe, I suppose it's not the worst thing to leave them where they are. As it stands, though, you're really better off doing practically anything else if you run out of spells. Even an aid another action to boost an ally's attack roll or AC would be better, considering you have a very poor chance of actually hitting and no defensive spells known (even mage armor or shield would help somewhat; maybe swap infernal healing - which will only last 1 round at level 1 anyways - for one of them and learn it later if you need it?). Otherwise, Daze or even Acid Splash are better backup options at your level (and you can eventually retrain them to more useful spells when you have a few more levels under your belt).

If you want to seriously have the greataxe as a viable backup option, I'd recommend a level of warlord (or paladin/cavalier if your DM isn't allowing Path of War) and taking Bladecaster/Eldritch Knight, or at least Dragon Disciple. Actually, come to think of it, half-orc Weapon Familiarity gives you the ability to take Abjurant Champion, if your DM allows 3.5 material. Just make sure to pick up a couple of abjuration spells.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Counter thought on the great ax.

First, the 12 strength helps out, as he will later get claws (at level 3) from his draconic bloodline, so it will still be useful in the future as a desperation option. The great ax is really just there for the first two levels. And at level one he is -1 to a fighter and -0 to a 3/4 progression. At level two, he is -2 to a fighter and -1 to a 3/4 progression. So, really, his great ax is still as viable as anyone else for those first two levels. Which he can then discard and then just rely on his claws if he wants.

Plus, it works from a color perspective, too. He is a half-orc who unexpectedly found magic. It is completely reasonable that he would continue to rely on what he knows for a brief period of time (like say a couple levels) while he becomes more familiar with his magic.

So, stick with that great ax! At least for the first couple of levels, anyway.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

May I suggest being a Crossblooded Sorcerer with the brass dragon (since you seem to want it) and orc bloodlines? The orc bloodline's bloodline arcana adds an extra point of damage to every damage die that you roll for your spells, which should stack with the brass dragon bloodline's bloodline arcana ability. Those abilities together already have an effect greater than Empowering all of your [fire] spells, and you can add the half-orc favored class damage bonus on top of that. If you combine all three of those bonuses with the Blood Havoc bloodline mutation
    , you'll have a 3.5 damage bonus per damage die (assuming that your spells deal a number of d6s of damage equal to your CL) for all of your [fire] spells, effectively doubling their damage (which is superior to Maximizing them, btw). You can then, of course, make your spells Maximized and/or Empowered in addition to those effects.

In short, you can make anything not resistant or immune to fire damage (or electricity or acid damage if you are willing to change your draconic bloodline's bloodline type and go without your half-orc favored class bonus to damage (which I think is a fair trade for not having to deal with fire resistance/immunity, which is extremely common) have a very, VERY bad time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.