New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Martial Arts weapons, Melee Charms?

Exalted 2nd edition, (at least generally pre-errata)

Can you use Melee charms when using martial art weapons (like a smashfist)? I'm a bit confused whether martial arts weapons are "melee weapons that can be used with martial arts" or specifically just martial arts (i.e., you can only use Martial Arts ability and Charms, not melee.)
    I assume, even if you can choose which ability to use, you are stuck with it as either Martial Arts or Melee. Like, you can't combine Martial Arts and Melee charms together.

Also, can you use Melee charms with just your fists (or Wood Dragon Claw)?
    I really think the answer is no, but figured I'd ask.

The paucity of Martial Arts charms -- and the lackluster feel I get from the styles -- the core rulebook leave me feeling a bit lackluster trying to make a martial artist.
    For reference: almost all (if not all--DM not decided yet) of Scroll of the Monk is forbidden, though the DM may homebrew a Martial Arts perfect defense, post-soak damage, and flurry Charm. If you know a rulebook that has those for Solars, or a fairly balanced martial arts style that has it, please recommend?
    I know Solar Hero Style has a flurry, but it costing a willpower is annoying. I prefer the flurries which cost more motes (like Peony Blossom) but not cost willpower.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2017-09-14 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added some version info

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Martial Arts weapons, Melee Charms?

Martial Arts weapons (M tag) can be used with Martial Arts or Melee, as long as no Charms are involved. You'll typically want to use the higher of the two, to determine your attack pool and Parry DV.

Natural weapons (fist, kick, clinch) (N tag) can only be used with Martial Arts. Wood Dragon's Claw is a barehanded Martial Arts punch, so it has this tag and can't benefit from Melee Charms.

Without a Combo, you can only use one Charm at a time (until your next action), so combining Charms isn't an issue (unless you're a Dragonblood).

If you have Martial Arts and Melee Charms, you need to use the appropriate ability when you trigger the Charm. Melee 2 and Martial Arts 5 means you use 2 + Dex + Defense (+ Specialty) if you augment your Parry DV with a Melee Excellency. Since you can only use one Charm at a time, this sets your scores for attack and defense.

If you have a Combo, you use the highest or Melee and Martial Arts if the Combo includes Melee and Martial Arts charms (per the text on Martial Arts weapons in the Panoply chapter). If it only has Melee Charms, you use your Melee score (and you use your Martial Arts score if it has only Martial Arts Charms).

If you prefer the Melee Charms but want to present as an unarmed martial artist, grab a Cestus or artifact analog and work from there.

Using combos means you're going to burn willpower anyway. Saving it can be a plan, but stunting to regain it is also an option (in stunt terms, 1 willpower is around 4 motes so Hammer on Iron Technique is cheaper at Essence 3+ (4 or more attacks)).

Wood Dragon's Claw with a focus on Accuracy allows you to flurry with relatively reduced penalties:

2 action flurry: highest penalty is 3 dice, so 2 Rate and +3 Accuracy (5/15 points) lets you flurry 'without' penalties.
    3 action flurry: highest penalty is 5 dice, so 3 Rate and +5 Accuracy (8/15 points) works too (Minimum Essence + Occult is 6, so always possible)
    4 action flurry: highest penalty is 7 dice, so 4 Rate and +7 Accuracy (11/15 points) works. Requires Occult 4, corresponds to the maximum flurry from cheap charms.
    5 action flurry: highest penalty is 9 dice, so can't be fully canceled. 5 Rate and +8 Accuracy (13/15 points) requires Occult 5 and comes close.

On one hand, I want to recommend using Raksha, on the other your GM is presumably somewhere close to sane... On the third, it's a way to get more than two hands!