New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Suggestions for Dragon-X hybrid creatures?

So I have an upcoming villain who's a little obsessed with dragons. He's currently occupying a magitek biomagical research facility and experimenting with creating new races by forcibly hybridizing various species with draconic elements (blood and magic, mostly).

So far, he's made the following hybrids:

Kobolds (which otherwise don't exist in the setting) out of dragons + goblins. These I can use stock (mostly).

Drakes out of dragons + cows/horses.

Lizardmen out of humans and dragons (a failed attempt at creating dragonborn)

Drolls out of dragons and trolls.

Dogres out of (you guessed it) dragons and ogres.

It's these last two I need help with. What features would a dragon/ogre hybrid (or a dragon/troll hybrid) have? My only constraint is that they should be freakish, weird, and should have the quintessential features of both parent races.

Any suggestions?
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Suggestions for Dragon-X hybrid creatures?

My first thought for Dragon/Trolls is that they shouldn't be immune to their own fire breath. It doesn't shut off their regeneration the way it would for a normal troll, but they hurt themselves terribly every time they use their breath weapon, then regenerate.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

dracotaur. Upper half bulls, bottom half dragons...
    And they don't have breath weapons, because they have bull heads.
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Durazno View Post
    My first thought for Dragon/Trolls is that they shouldn't be immune to their own fire breath. It doesn't shut off their regeneration the way it would for a normal troll, but they hurt themselves terribly every time they use their breath weapon, then regenerate.
    Nifty. Would you think that the dragon ancestry (4 legs, wings, scales) or the troll (2 legs, more rubbery skin) dominates?

Quote Originally Posted by ahyangyi View Post
    dracotaur. Upper half bulls, bottom half dragons...
    And they don't have breath weapons, because they have bull heads.
    Scaled creatures larger than a bull, but with horns and a bovine face. Voracious omnivores. Smarter than a cow, but just as stubborn. Oooh. That's kinda fun. I'll use those early on as one of the failed creations that're forcing the local inhabitants down into civilized lands.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm not sure which dominance I'd recommend. Maybe a kind of gorilla-esque build, almost humanoid but hunched onto all fours?
    Last edited by Durazno; 2017-09-18 at 12:17 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

For troll/dragon mixes, I'd have quite a few layers of nerf. First is increasing the recharge time of Breath Weapons. Second is slightly reducing the strength of Regeneration from the Troll version, while also disabling it during BW recharge. Then, downgrade immunities into resistances.

Then, up the AC over standard trolls by one point and give a little bit more Strength and Constitution. Recalculate CR according to new statblock, the DMG for 5e has CR guidelines for exactly this use. There will be eyeballing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Durazno View Post
    I'd go the opposite direction actually. Have them be immune to either acid or fire, depending on what sort their breath attack is, and you have to use the other damage type on them to beat them. Otherwise why is he hybriding them? Obviously to make a stronger creature right? Eliminating half of their vulnerabilities does exactly that.

Hybridizing to make a worse version of a troll seems pointless.
    Last edited by UrielAwakened; 2017-09-20 at 10:03 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe have the regeneration and breath weapon and whole elemental nature of the dragon all kind of mutate a bit. So that they don't have the normal troll regeneration but when they breath fire their whole body burns from the inside and regenerates their wounds, additionally fire attacks heal them.

Alternatively troll x dragon hybrids are simply hydras. They loose the breath weapon and immunities, but when you cut their heads off they now grow two in its place and you have to burn the stump.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

For a Droll, I would say they're immune to their draconic element(Fire, Acid, Lightning, whatever.) Their breath weapon doubles their regeneration for a round, but otherwise works as a Young or Wyrmling breath weapon(Half-dragon is in the monster manual, it depends on their size, I just forget right now.)

Ogres don't have any special powers of their own, so they would just be really big, meaty half-dragons, basically. Maybe let them emit an aura of their element, or charge their weapons with it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

And on a separate note, an interesting cross-breed you could do(Depending on this BBEG's resources) is a Draconic Beholder.

Instead of an Anti-magic Cone, give it a permanent "Everything in this range needs to save or become charmed or feared" effect. I'd call it Dragon Eye.

Eye Rays stay the same, maybe alter the damage a bit(Fire, Cold, etc. in place of Necrotic, for instance), the breath weapon is the same as a young dragon, and with Dragon Eye, it wouldn't be a pain to itself(Since it can't Ray things inside it's own cone), but it would put the party in constant threat.

It would be a pretty sweet boss monster, though I don't know what level the party is, so it might be quite a bit much.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by demonslayerelf View Post
    And on a separate note, an interesting cross-breed you could do(Depending on this BBEG's resources) is a Draconic Beholder.

Instead of an Anti-magic Cone, give it a permanent "Everything in this range needs to save or become charmed or feared" effect. I'd call it Dragon Eye.

Eye Rays stay the same, maybe alter the damage a bit(Fire, Cold, etc. in place of Necrotic, for instance), the breath weapon is the same as a young dragon, and with Dragon Eye, it wouldn't be a pain to itself(Since it can't Ray things inside it's own cone), but it would put the party in constant threat.

It would be a pretty sweet boss monster, though I don't know what level the party is, so it might be quite a bit much.
    Interesting hybrid considering the etymology of the word ''dragon''.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I actually ran, in a recently-defunct game, something which in the lore of the world was simply considered a dragon, but outside of that context, was essentially a Myconid/Dragon hybrid.

Its breath weapon was a cloud of poison spores it could release which spread out all around it, it had more of a controlled floating speed than a fly speed, never took falling damage, and had access to telepathy via rapport spores. I tuned it to be taken on by two level four(?) characters, but it could easily be tweaked to whatever CR you like. Of special note is the fact that I chose Dragon as its type instead of Plant. I'm not aware of a major concern with that type something is in 5e, so you could easily make it a Plant or even both if you like (which maybe I should have). Here's the stat block:

Spoiler: Fungal Dragon
    Show
    Fungal Dragon
    Huge dragon, lawful evil

Armor Class 12 (natural armor)
    Hit Points 123 (13d12+39)
    Speed 30 ft, fly 30 ft.

STR 14 (+2) DEX 8 (-1) CON 16 (+3) INT 12 (+1)
    WIS 15 (+2) CHA 16 (+3)

Damage Immunities poison
    Condition Immunities blinded, defeaned, exhaustion, paralyzed, poisoned
    Senses blindsight 120 ft, passive perception 12
    Languages
    Challenge 3 (700 XP)

Distress Spores. When the fungal dragon takes damage, all myconids within 240 feet of it can sense its pain.

Sun Sickness. While in direct sunlight, the fungal dragon has disadvantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws. The fungal dragon dies if it spends more than 1 hour in direct sunlight.

Float. The fungal dragon may unfold its underbelly and magically take off on the lightest of breezes. In conditions of light wind or less, it may control its direction when doing so. The fungal dragon never takes damage from falling under any circumstances.

Unmotherly. The fungal dragon can sense the distress of myconids within 240 feet of itself. However, it does not value the lives of its offspring. It will never come to the aid of a myconid, however, if it feels threatened, it may try to eliminate the source of that threat (or flee). It will remorselessly expend myconid lives in order to survive. (Note: this was more of an RP reminder for me than anything else and can safely be trashed or reworked.)

Actions

Multiattack. The fungal dragon may make two attacks, one slam and one poison spores attack, if it is able to use poison spores on its turn.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target. Hit: 7 (2d4+2) bludgeoning damage.

Poison Spores (Recharge 5-6). The fungal dragon releases spores in a 15 foot radius around it. Creatures within this radius (except for undead, constructs, elementals, and myconids) must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Rapport Spores. A 20-foot radius of spores extends from the fungal dragon. These spores can go around corners and affect only creatures with an Intelligence of 2 or higher that aren’t undead, constructs, or elementals. Affected creatures can communicate telepathically with one another while they are within 30 feet of each other. This effect lasts for one hour.

EDIT: I should read before posting. Sorry!
    Last edited by Thisguy_; 2017-09-24 at 12:56 PM.