New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default SWSE Species Shard clarification help

I have a player who wants to make a Shard species character and I don't really have any issues with that save it does not seem specific enough on how to implement the species/droid.

Spoiler: Race Info
    Show
    Shards share the following traits:
    Ability Modifiers: -2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom. Shards have powerful minds but must rely on somewhat clumsy droid bodies. A Shard retains its Constitution score even while inside a droid body.
    Medium Size: As Medium creatures, Shards have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Bonus Skill: Shards gain Use Computer as a bonus trained skill regardless of their class.
    Droid Shell: Shards must inhabit droid bodies to travel and function in the galaxy at large. In this form, they gain the following traits.
    * Shards must undergo maintenance as per a droid.
    * Shards are immune to poison, disease, radiation, noncorrosive atmospheric hazards, and vacuum. They can regain hit points only through the Repair Droid application of the Mechanics skill. They do not benefit from natural healing unless they have the Force Repair talent.
    * Shards are considered cybernetic creatures for the purposes of being damaged by ion weapons.
    * Shards can make use of droid systems and accessories, subject to some limitations. Shards can have the following droid accessories: appendages, armor, communications devices, internal storage, sensors, and translator units. Shard bodies have a cost modifier of x1.
    Automatic Languages: Basic and Binary. Shards can communicate with other creatures only when connected to a computer or a vocabulator.

Questions that arise:
    1) As a starting player how much credits is the starting droid worth? Is it considered to be just a generic droid body that has to be modified after character creation? IE it just starts with arms, hands, legs?
    2) Can the player take droid specific feats?
    3) Can the player take droid specific classes/talents like Independent droid?
    4) Are these generic droids classified as 1st-4th degree droids or unique?
    5) What modifications can the player make to the droid? For example can it purchase telescopic, stabilized, etc?
    6) Are there any limitations on locomotion?
    7) Can the droid body act independently from the shard? If so, in what capacity?
    8) Any questions or issues I haven't addressed that I should be aware of GMing for a Shard future Iron Knight? :)

Thank you!
    Last edited by Xaragos; 2017-09-14 at 02:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: SWSE Species Shard clarification help

1) I don't think it's stated, but I always allowed them to use the third option from Scavengers, and having to build the body as normal.
    2) I fell there is a 50/50 split, as an argument can be made for either way. But, I would say no, since they aren't droids.
    3) Again, I'd say no. They aren't an actual droid, just using it as the physical body so they can interact with the world.
    4) Probably 4th degree, if you need to put it in a slot. Unique might be more accurate.
    5) Depends. It would largely be a GM call, since I don't believe it goes into detail of what a shard can or can't have.
    6) This would be a GM call again, but I would say no.
    7) No, as the shard has to be installed in the droid body for it to work.*
    8) They can be easily OP and broken, given how droids vs organics are.

*There is a way around this, kind of. With GM permission, you could make a laptop of sorts be the remote control. The droid body would have a remote receiver,and the laptop would act as the remote processor. Thus you could have a droid drone.
    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Savage Worlds: Sky Blazers
    Star Wars Saga Edition: Heart of Corellia, Dawn of Shadows

Playing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pathfinder: Illoria