New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Best Multiclassing option for a archer ranger?

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod View Post
    doesn't moonbow require pact of blade? i know he said his dm would wave the patron requirement but what about the pact requirement
    Aaaww. Thanks for that.
    Didn't double check the UA pdf, my total bad. :/

Well... It does brings some necessary changes indeed. XD
    He'll have to choose between nova or utility, or grab utility from other means (Ritual Caster may be enough, or not, I don't really know how much utility he wanted).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Hmm. You did well to ask here, after all many people besides me can help you, and my suggestions may be useful to others too. We are still more on less "in" the topic of the thread too.

So, let's go for a not-so-concise analysis.
    You have three axes: utility, nova single-target, stealth, with 3 classes max.

UTILITY
    How to get the best utility? The main ways from the "best" to "worst" (I consider here that your DM would be a nice guy that provides loot corresponding to your objectives).
    - High level Wizard (DM Dependent): learn additional spells, including rituals.
    - High level Druid: versatile in core, has rituals.
    - 7+ Tome Warlock with Book of Ancients Secrets Invocation (DM dependent): if your DM is nice, you can hoard all ritual spells.
    - High level Cleric (DM dependent): less versatile, but has many spells that can shine in adventuring, although it depends on how DM "answers" your divination spells.
    - High level Rogue (somewhat DM dependent, also player dependent): you are not very versatile in core, but Expertise and Reliable Talent can certainly open way to much utility, if you take proficiency in some toolsets or be creative with skills such as Animal Handling. Unfortunately I never really tried to use any (besides healers kit with Healer feat), so I cannot provide any good example. I'm sure that people having played high level Rogues (especially Thiefs) could give you lots of great ideas though.
    - Ritual Caster feat (DM dependent): lesser investment ("just" one feat), taking Wizard list, allows you to grab the majority of the best rituals.
    - Knowledge CD (Cleric 2): short-rest proficiency in any skill/tool you want. For ponctual needs, you won't get any better than that for such a small investment. Beware of potential fluff strings attached.
    - Jack of all Trades (Bard 2): small but still useful boost to any check you are not proficient into
    - Skilled feat: kinda the worst option, but may be considered depending on your build.

STEALTH
    Stealth means being able to get out of someone's senses (view, but also hearing at least, possibly smell) and Hide.
    Tools for that:
    - Disable view: Fog Cloud, smoke screen (DM dependent), Darkness, Pyrotechnics, Minor Illusion, Mold Earth are among the things I can think of right now among easy to get tools.
    - Disable hearing: not many things here: basically Silence ritual, Fly spell (somewhat DM dependent), Deafness, and some magical objects (I think there is a pair of uncommon magical boots that allow you to move silently, but no idea of the name).
    - Disable smell: well, apart from my own homebrew ;), I don't know about any way to disable smell by RAW. With that said, any sensible DM would probably agree that smart use of "wind spells" such as Gust or Gust of Wind, paired or not with vials of smelling potion, would work good enough.
    - Enhance skill check: Expertise (Rogue 1 / Bard 3), Enhance Ability (Bard 3 / Sorcerer 3), Pass Without Trace (Druid 3/Shadow Monk 3 / Trickster Cleric 3), Guidance (Cleric 1 / Druid 1 / Magic Initiate) are the only ways I can think of.

SINGLE TARGET NOVA
    Many ways to go here.
    Magic one is the usual 3*Agonizing Blast (somewhat sustainable) thanks to Action Surge and Quickened.
    An extremely powerful one (but requires a full turn or more to set up) would be stacking high level Bestow Curse + Hex + Hexblade as a Fighter 2 / Phoenix Sorcerer X / Warlock X, then unleashing Scorching Ray as high level as possible. That's kinda stupidly OP, but also makes you drop back to a whiny cantrip user for the remaining of the day in something like 2-3 turns.

Otherwise, there is always the Rogue's Sneak Attack, or Paladin's "ranged compatible" smite spells, or Ranger spells, or Warlock's Archfey Moonbow "smiting", or AT/EK's "disadvantage on save" paired with control spells (Entangle, Ensnaring Strike, Hold Person, Branding Smite, Banishing Smite).
    Or just a high number of weapon attacks empowered with Sharpshooter and magic buff (so basically Fighter).

CONSIDERING ALL THAT...
    Utility: If your DM tends to be nice and generous with loot, I'd go with Tome Warlock as the pillar for utility: going 5, 7 or 9 depending on other things. Otherwise, I'd go Druid & Cleric.

Nova:
    For nova, either go the smite way, meaning high level Archfey Warlock with Moonbow, pair it with Devotion Paladin 5+ (+CHA on your bow, Extra Attack) and Champion Fighter 3+ (critical on 19/20) or Battlemaster (Precision). This way you can even add Sharpshooter damage quite often.
    You'd be an "artillery" like character, clad in heavy armor, not moving much but dealing pretty incredible nova damage. Beware though that you would need a turn of preparation to get the best. You could even enable the Darkness (using Paladin slot) + Devil's Sight combo to get advantage in many occasions. Or just Bless yourself. And most of your greatness would recharge on short rest. Plus Moonbow doesn't put a ceiling on damage, so 5th level is not wasted.
    Something like Fighter 3 / Paladin 6 / Tome Warlock 11 seems pretty nifty to me.

Or go the "empowered attacks" way, meaning Fighter and Elemental Weapon: Eldricht Knight 11 / Hexblade Tome Warlock 9 would allow you to cast 5th level Elemental Weapon (+2 to hit, +2d4 damage) on top of consistent 4 attacks per turn (3 with Extra Attack, + Crossbow Expert).

IF you don't trust your DM to distribute rituals like candies, then go on a WIS-based character. In which case a Hunter Ranger 9 / Tempest Cleric 6 / Sheperd Druid 5 could work well: you lack Wizard rituals, which is tough, but you can unleash 2 maximized upcasted Lightning Arrow every short rest, and you still boast much utility overall (healing, exploration, detection, social, etc).

Or an Eldricht Knight 12 / Forge Cleric 5 / Sheperd Druid 3: same idea of Elemental Weapon paired with Hawk aura, plus ability to inflict a debuff on a creature thanks to Eldricht Strike.

My gut says the Champion 3 / Devotion Paladin 6 / Fey Tome Warlock 11 is probably the safest bet, simply because it will probably be a tad easier to make it useful at low levels. Supposing your utility would be needed early...
    Start as a Fighter (if you intend to use concentration spell like Darkness or Bless) or Paladin otherwise.
    Get Tome Warlock 5 ASAP: you can start looking for rituals, you can get Darkness+Devil's Sight for now, along with either Sharpshooter or Crossbow Expert depending on your taste and tactics and the Moonbow. You already boast decent single-target damage. Immediately grab another Fighter level if you want to boost your nova (using 2 attacks with 2 smites), or start leveling Paladin and don't stop until you get Extra Attack (then take 2nd Fighter if you didn't take it earlier), boosting CHA in the process.
    By that time, you are character level 12 , you boast a starting to-hit equal to 4 (proficiency) + 3 (DEX) +2 (Archery). Nothing fancy? For the toughest fight, it will be worth taking the time to fully prepare on the first turn: with Action Surge, use Sacred Weapon (+4 at least) and Darkness (unless damage vulnerability > Elemental Weapon) for advantage. Now your to-hit is equal to 4+3+2+4 = 13. With advantage, you have 96% chance to hit (or ~80% if you want to use the -5+10).
    On next level, grab the Fighter level to increase the chance of landing critical hit.
    Now you just have to finish leveling Warlock, feeling a steady upgrade in nova damage every two levels. Once you get Warlock 7, you can consider swapping the Darkness/Devil's Sight combo for a plain Greater Invisibility (if your party is annoyed by Darkness for example, or you like Invisibility for other reasons).

This build is actually weaker in sustained damage than most martial except times where you use resource-consuming features, for at least the first half. Obviously. That's what to expect as a drawback for having extremely strong utility and nova damage from a range. ;)

Sorry for the veeerrry long post. I hope you found something inspiring in this (also, don't focus on my suggested builds: I made an "analysis" precisely so you can craft your own character concept, depending on the fluff you want and mechanics/spells priority. So don't be afraid to ditch all my builds if you don't like them or find them too much "late-blooming" -which they certainly are-^^. I didn't even talk about EK/AT+Wizard builds, or original Javelin Monk ones, but there would be things to tell ;)).
    Well, that's a lot of awesome and useful information, thanks. From the things you mentioned, I liked the concept of the druid/ranger/cleric combination, but I was wondering if it would work to exchange the cleric levels for rogue, and maybe a few levels of ranger too for rogue? Thinking about, thematically, I like the rogue playstyle and RP aspect more. What would be he best specialization for each class?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tekrow View Post
    Well, that's a lot of awesome and useful information, thanks. From the things you mentioned, I liked the concept of the druid/ranger/cleric combination, but I was wondering if it would work to exchange the cleric levels for rogue, and maybe a few levels of ranger too for rogue? Thinking about, thematically, I like the rogue playstyle and RP aspect more. What would be he best specialization for each class?
    Hi again!
    Well, sure ;) I didn't push into Rogue options because I had the impression you weren't specially attracted by it.
    Also I made this example specifically for the "Lightning Storm arrow" feeling.

If you prefer Rogue as a chassis, then the big bit missing will be Extra Attack.
    Or maybe you were talking about swapping Cleric only with Rogue?
    It's honestly hard to help you with so few information about what you have in mind.

Could you please answer these?
    - If your character is 100%, which percentage would you give to skills, magic, martial features? (define respective numbers)
    - Would you rather use magic to a) buff yourself, b) buff others, c) debuff others, d) deal damage? (list order of priorities, top first)
    - For you (your character ^^), magic is a vocation, a passion, a tool among others, an afterthought? (one choice)

What defines you the most? (up to 2 choices, top first)
    1. "When I'm hunting, the prey won't even have the time to notice my presence before a single arrow takes his life".
    2. "I usually set up traps and ambushes and try to bring my prey into it".
    3. "Big plans and care are not my thing: I just fire, fire and fire at will until my target has ceased breathing."
    4. "Planning is for weaks: I use all my might against the enemy I face now, I'll always find something else for the next".

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hi again!
    Well, sure ;) I didn't push into Rogue options because I had the impression you weren't specially attracted by it.
    Also I made this example specifically for the "Lightning Storm arrow" feeling.

If you prefer Rogue as a chassis, then the big bit missing will be Extra Attack.
    Or maybe you were talking about swapping Cleric only with Rogue?
    It's honestly hard to help you with so few information about what you have in mind.

Could you please answer these?
    - If your character is 100%, which percentage would you give to skills, magic, martial features? (define respective numbers)
    - Would you rather use magic to a) buff yourself, b) buff others, c) debuff others, d) deal damage? (list order of priorities, top first)
    - For you (your character ^^), magic is a vocation, a passion, a tool among others, an afterthought? (one choice)

What defines you the most? (up to 2 choices, top first)
    1. "When I'm hunting, the prey won't even have the time to notice my presence before a single arrow takes his life".
    2. "I usually set up traps and ambushes and try to bring my prey into it".
    3. "Big plans and care are not my thing: I just fire, fire and fire at will until my target has ceased breathing."
    4. "Planning is for weaks: I use all my might against the enemy I face now, I'll always find something else for the next".
    Yeah, I like the lightning storm arrow build, I was talking about replacing only cleric or even druid for rogue, but keeping ranger and the other.
    I would say the divition would be 40% to martial(mostly related to archery) and 30% to each I think.

I would like to use magic first to deal damage(in the form of arrow attacks like lightning arrow or somethig) and to debuff others(things like Hunter's Mark or Hex, or things like that. Sorry I can't give you more examples, but I don't have that much knowledge about abilities).

I would say for my character magic would be more like a tool. I'm not looking for big fireballs or meteors or polymorphing my enemies, but things like arrow attacks, things related to improve my stealth abilities, like pass without trace or invisibility, and if possible, things related to manipulating people, even if it's small scale.

And I would choose answers 1 and 2 in that order. To better explain myself, I have envisioned an archer that in combat uses stealth and a some magic to deal high single target damage, constantly repositioning himself if necessary to keep gaining advantage over his enemies. Outside of combat, the kind of utility I imagine is small scale, nothing like a high level wizard or stuff, but more like inflitration, persuation and deception, scouting ahead of the party and helping track targets that the part might need to take out. I'm not looking to necessarily be the greatest damage dealer of the party(although if posible, awesome), but at least stay relevant and useful in and out of combat.
    Is it possible something like that?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, I like the lightning storm arrow build, I was talking about replacing only cleric or even druid for rogue, but keeping ranger and the other.
    I would say the divition would be 40% to martial(mostly related to archery) and 30% to each I think.

I would like to use magic first to deal damage(in the form of arrow attacks like lightning arrow or somethig) and to debuff others(things like Hunter's Mark or Hex, or things like that. Sorry I can't give you more examples, but I don't have that much knowledge about abilities).

I would say for my character magic would be more like a tool. I'm not looking for big fireballs or meteors or polymorphing my enemies, but things like arrow attacks, things related to improve my stealth abilities, like pass without trace or invisibility, and if possible, things related to manipulating people, even if it's small scale.

And I would choose answers 1 and 2 in that order. To better explain myself, I have envisioned an archer that in combat uses stealth and a some magic to deal high single target damage, constantly repositioning himself if necessary to keep gaining advantage over his enemies. Outside of combat, the kind of utility I imagine is small scale, nothing like a high level wizard or stuff, but more like inflitration, persuation and deception, scouting ahead of the party and helping track targets that the part might need to take out. I'm not looking to necessarily be the greatest damage dealer of the party(although if posible, awesome), but at least stay relevant and useful in and out of combat.
    Is it possible something like that?
    Well yes, certainly. ;) The only hard bit will be to keep "magical empowered arrows". But even for that there is an answer: Bard!

In fact, if the kind of spells you like really are the "magical arrow" ones, there aren't that many options: either keep Ranger 9 whatever happens, or make a totally different multiclass and take Bard. The fact that it is a fullcaster class is not really a problem, considering his strong orientation towards skills and utility.

So.. ;)
    For a WIS-based: keep Ranger 9 (Lightning Arrow, Conjure Animals, Pass Without Trace -I forgot Ranger had it-), cut Cleric down to 2, idem for Druid, for now. This frees up to to 4+3=7 levels for Rogue: Expertise*2, Cunning Action, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion. Any archetype will do really, although obviously Arcane Trickster has the benefit of bringing a few more tools.
    Once you are that far in cutting down Druid, you can even consider shutting it off altogether: if a) you don't like the fluff b) you are not interested in the lvl 1 spells and cantrips and c) you don't care about Druid aura (although it's good imo, but you will have many things to do with bonus action), no regrets: get more Rogue instead. If you like cantrips and spells, just keep one level.
    Rogue 1 > Ranger 2 (Hunter's Mark, Archery) should be your starting point, then either aim for Extra Attack ASAP would be my choice but if you'd prefer using spells for nova instead going for the caster levels now may be good too.
    Mid-level build should be something like that: Rogue 3 / Cleric 1 / Druid 2 / Ranger 5: you use Hawk and possibly Bless to enhance your attacks.
    You won't have that much utility spellwise but you still get some of the most useful party buffs: Bless and Pass Without Trace.
    The two big things of that character are nova arrow and versatility.
    Dang, forgot about 3 classes max. XD It's a problem for you, drop Druid altogether, instead go up Arcane Trickster 9: here comes Magical Ambush goodness. ;)

For a CHA-based: Arcane Trickster 12 / Lore Bard 6 / Tempest Cleric 2: Lore Bard's Magic Secrets will be tough to choose, between Elemental Weapon, Pass Without Trace, Lightning Arrow, Flame Arrow, or even Slow.
    The two big things of this character are debuff (Magical Ambush + Hold Person, Slow, Fear etc) and skills (Expertise + Reliable Talent = win).
    To shore up the lack of utiltity, simply pick Ritual Caster: Wizard, since you needed 13+ WIS anyways to get the Channel Divinity feature by dipping Cleric.

If you can bear not having Lightning Arrow, it's honestly much simpler, anything goes, including an INT-based plain Arcane Trickster 11 / Bladesinger Wizard 9: if your DM is nice, it's the simplest to level yet among the best options, since Wizard can change spells and learn potentially all the spellist. If you can squeeze high WIS enough, you could even still put Tempest Cleric 2 somewhere to unleash maximized Lightning Bolts. ;)

The WIS one is the best for nova damage hands down, but also the more complex to level and one with the lesser versatility as far as versatility goes. You do get enough buffs for yourself though (Cleric: Healing Words, Bless. Ranger: Pass Without Trace, Silence. Druid: Longstrider, Hawk aura).
    The CHA one is moderately easy to build, suits your idea the most stealth/skill-wise, and can still boast pretty decent nova damage although it will require a preparation turn (bonus action Hide > Magical Ambush debuff spell). The most balanced and, in the end, the best sneak (low level: Enhance Ability, mid level: Pass Without Trace, end career: Reliable Talent).
    The INT one is the simplest to build, provides decent versatility from rules, extreme versatility with a generous DM, and can be dreadly for your foes by using Magical Ambush with a powerful spell: it does steer away from your "low magic" intention though obviously.

Choose your pick. ;)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well yes, certainly. ;) The only hard bit will be to keep "magical empowered arrows". But even for that there is an answer: Bard!

In fact, if the kind of spells you like really are the "magical arrow" ones, there aren't that many options: either keep Ranger 9 whatever happens, or make a totally different multiclass and take Bard. The fact that it is a fullcaster class is not really a problem, considering his strong orientation towards skills and utility.

So.. ;)
    For a WIS-based: keep Ranger 9 (Lightning Arrow, Conjure Animals, Pass Without Trace -I forgot Ranger had it-), cut Cleric down to 2, idem for Druid, for now. This frees up to to 4+3=7 levels for Rogue: Expertise*2, Cunning Action, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion. Any archetype will do really, although obviously Arcane Trickster has the benefit of bringing a few more tools.
    Once you are that far in cutting down Druid, you can even consider shutting it off altogether: if a) you don't like the fluff b) you are not interested in the lvl 1 spells and cantrips and c) you don't care about Druid aura (although it's good imo, but you will have many things to do with bonus action), no regrets: get more Rogue instead. If you like cantrips and spells, just keep one level.
    Rogue 1 > Ranger 2 (Hunter's Mark, Archery) should be your starting point, then either aim for Extra Attack ASAP would be my choice but if you'd prefer using spells for nova instead going for the caster levels now may be good too.
    Mid-level build should be something like that: Rogue 3 / Cleric 1 / Druid 2 / Ranger 5: you use Hawk and possibly Bless to enhance your attacks.
    You won't have that much utility spellwise but you still get some of the most useful party buffs: Bless and Pass Without Trace.
    The two big things of that character are nova arrow and versatility.
    Dang, forgot about 3 classes max. XD It's a problem for you, drop Druid altogether, instead go up Arcane Trickster 9: here comes Magical Ambush goodness. ;)

For a CHA-based: Arcane Trickster 12 / Lore Bard 6 / Tempest Cleric 2: Lore Bard's Magic Secrets will be tough to choose, between Elemental Weapon, Pass Without Trace, Lightning Arrow, Flame Arrow, or even Slow.
    The two big things of this character are debuff (Magical Ambush + Hold Person, Slow, Fear etc) and skills (Expertise + Reliable Talent = win).
    To shore up the lack of utiltity, simply pick Ritual Caster: Wizard, since you needed 13+ WIS anyways to get the Channel Divinity feature by dipping Cleric.

If you can bear not having Lightning Arrow, it's honestly much simpler, anything goes, including an INT-based plain Arcane Trickster 11 / Bladesinger Wizard 9: if your DM is nice, it's the simplest to level yet among the best options, since Wizard can change spells and learn potentially all the spellist. If you can squeeze high WIS enough, you could even still put Tempest Cleric 2 somewhere to unleash maximized Lightning Bolts. ;)

The WIS one is the best for nova damage hands down, but also the more complex to level and one with the lesser versatility as far as versatility goes. You do get enough buffs for yourself though (Cleric: Healing Words, Bless. Ranger: Pass Without Trace, Silence. Druid: Longstrider, Hawk aura).
    The CHA one is moderately easy to build, suits your idea the most stealth/skill-wise, and can still boast pretty decent nova damage although it will require a preparation turn (bonus action Hide > Magical Ambush debuff spell). The most balanced and, in the end, the best sneak (low level: Enhance Ability, mid level: Pass Without Trace, end career: Reliable Talent).
    The INT one is the simplest to build, provides decent versatility from rules, extreme versatility with a generous DM, and can be dreadly for your foes by using Magical Ambush with a powerful spell: it does steer away from your "low magic" intention though obviously.

Choose your pick. ;)
    The CHA based one wouldn't have extra attack right? I think I would choose the WIS based one then if the CHA based one doesn't have extra attack. Now, you are suggesting the cleric level becuase of the tempest's cleric ability to improve lightning arrow, right?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

The CHA based one wouldn't have extra attack right? I think I would choose the WIS based one then if the CHA based one doesn't have extra attack. Now, you are suggesting the cleric level becuase of the tempest's cleric ability to improve lightning arrow, right?
    Hi again! Yes on both counts.
    Honestly taking Tempest Cleric 2 is only worth it if you really like the idea of maximized lightning arrow and even then I'd probably take the 2nd level very late (you won't get anything lightning related early anyways). Otherwise, just a plain Life Cleric 1 or no Cleric at all would work fine too (you would get more high-level spellcasting instead).

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Druid get the flame arrow spell from EEPC.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hi again! Yes on both counts.
    Honestly taking Tempest Cleric 2 is only worth it if you really like the idea of maximized lightning arrow and even then I'd probably take the 2nd level very late (you won't get anything lightning related early anyways). Otherwise, just a plain Life Cleric 1 or no Cleric at all would work fine too (you would get more high-level spellcasting instead).
    Thanks for all your help. I think I'll go with Ranger(Hunter)/Rogue(Assassin)/Druid(Which one would be the best Circle?).

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thanks for all your help. I think I'll go with Ranger(Hunter)/Rogue(Assassin)/Druid(Which one would be the best Circle?).
    You want land circle, grasslands for haste and invisibility

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Obviously not Moon. ;)

If you go for a 2-3 levels, Sheperd, no hesitation.
    If you go for 5 levels and want a great buff, go the Land Druid with Haste (mix of defense/offense), or the one with Blur (great defense), or the one with Misty Step (perfect to avoid bad things) + Mirror Image (great defense with your DEX).

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Obviously not Moon. ;)

If you go for a 2-3 levels, Sheperd, no hesitation.
    If you go for 5 levels and want a great buff, go the Land Druid with Haste (mix of defense/offense), or the one with Blur (great defense), or the one with Misty Step (perfect to avoid bad things) + Mirror Image (great defense with your DEX).
    Alright, thanks for the help. Thanks everyone.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What would be the best option for a ranged ranger to multiclass in? UA allowed so Revised Ranger and using either the Revised Hunter Conclave or the Revised Stalker Conclave.
    Why do you want to multiclass at all, rather than just going straight ranger?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Here's some different advice: Stay a Ranger.

Hide in Plain Sight at level 10, Vanish at level 14. Multiattack or Stalkers Flurry at level 11 (depending on Conclave). Fifth level spells.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

When I've played with Rangers (all so far have been bow oriented), each one in each fight has had a problem of a meleer (or several meleers) closing with them. Now one DM let a Ranger get away w/ shooting at someone more than 5' from him and not taking a disad, but if you read the phb I'm pretty sure you take a disad trying to shoot anything if one hostile combatant is within 5' of you. Unless you have xbow expert. feat.

Really, Rogue 2 is the only consistent solution to this that isn't spell slot dependent. Meleers' in your face? Don't want to take AoO's? Use Cunning Action to Disengage, step back a bit, and fire away - then move somewhere that makes sense. If no one is on you, try to hide and get off a shot at advantage. And you get 1d6 extra (sneak attack) most of the time.

It seems pretty simple to me, that dipping at least 2 into Rogue is almost "necessary" to make any sort of archer or crossbowman work (unless you go xbow expertise). Even then being able to disengage and set up somewhere else or even possibly hide - seems incredibly good to me.

16. - Top - End - #46

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    When I've played with Rangers (all so far have been bow oriented), each one in each fight has had a problem of a meleer (or several meleers) closing with them. Now one DM let a Ranger get away w/ shooting at someone more than 5' from him and not taking a disad, but if you read the phb I'm pretty sure you take a disad trying to shoot anything if one hostile combatant is within 5' of you. Unless you have xbow expert. feat.

Really, Rogue 2 is the only consistent solution to this that isn't spell slot dependent. Meleers' in your face? Don't want to take AoO's? Use Cunning Action to Disengage, step back a bit, and fire away - then move somewhere that makes sense. If no one is on you, try to hide and get off a shot at advantage. And you get 1d6 extra (sneak attack) most of the time.

It seems pretty simple to me, that dipping at least 2 into Rogue is almost "necessary" to make any sort of archer or crossbowman work (unless you go xbow expertise). Even then being able to disengage and set up somewhere else or even possibly hide - seems incredibly good to me.
    I agree, though i haven't had the issues myself. You could also take Close Quarters Shooter fighting style instead of Archery (or in addition to if you mc into fighter)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Okay I am surprised no one has mentioned this or I missed it but Swift Quiver is probably the best spell for you. It allows you to take 2 shots woth your bonus action giving you 4 attacks per turn with your bow. Problem is its a 5th level Ranger only spell which means you need at minimum 17 levels of Ranger to access it. With that you only get a single cast per long rest. If you go 19 you get 2 casts per long rest. So if your going to dip it should be either a single level in Rouge or Fighter for thier respective boni, or 3 levels in a full caster class; Sorc, Wiz, Druid, Cleric, and Bard. If I had to pick one I would say it depends.

Skill Focused: 2 in Knowledge Cleric and 1 in Rouge gets you expertise in 4 skills and 3 additional skills.

Damage Focused: Tempest Cleric 3. Gets you 3 casts of swift quiver and max damage on Lighting arrow

Healing Support: Life Cleric 3 levels (go figure)

Super sneaky: 3 in Sorc or Wiz; Misty Step and Invis means you can poof out of sight and go invisible. Druid can do this as well but no metal armor means lower AC.

Utility Support: Trickery Cleric 3

most versitile: Sorc 3 with twin spell you can heal a decent amonut and throw out extra damage.

Keep in mind if your not worried about the metal restriction from druids its a very good fit, and if you can convince your DM to let you use Shilleghe on your bow can be very thematic.

18. - Top - End - #48

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod View Post
    I agree, though i haven't had the issues myself. You could also take Close Quarters Shooter fighting style instead of Archery (or in addition to if you mc into fighter)
    Is that a UA or in one of the books pls?

And Sorlock, that's a good point about that spell - but as to misty step and all, a simple 2 dip in Rogue solves pretty much _all_ archer mobility problems.

Again, if you get meleers in your face stopping you from taking normal shots (imposing a disad on your ranged shots), you just use your bonus action first (the Cunning Action), disengage, step back, shoot normally, and then move somewhere that makes good sense (like on the other side of the tank, so they can't just follow you necessarily). Rogue 2 is really the best and simplest solution for archers - and something I'd argue they all need. Spells that do the same don't work every fight - you run out of slots. The Rogue 2 dip is available for free every turn. And adds a d6 damage to a shot most of your rounds.
    Last edited by Chugger; 2017-09-19 at 05:02 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

If he dips 2 in Rouge he gets only a single cast of Swift Quiver which is 2 less attacks per turn for probably 2 fights. if you disengage your only moving your movement which, unless its augmented by something else, will get you 30 feet as well so the enemy will be able to follow you as well. Misty step is a TP you can use it to put yourself on higher ground that is unreachable or at least requires them to climb. Not to mention that when you cast misty step you still have your remaining movement left so you can move 30 more feet or 60 if you use your action to dash, putting you up to 90 feet away. Plus you can hit them with movement reducing spells like ray of frost which will buy you even more time.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    Agreed. All the "Rangers" I play are actually Rogue 2/Fighter X's with the Outlander background

Cunning Action is my favourite ability in the system.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Trying to link this thread

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sorlock Master View Post
    If he dips 2 in Rouge he gets only a single cast of Swift Quiver which is 2 less attacks per turn for probably 2 fights. if you disengage your only moving your movement which, unless its augmented by something else, will get you 30 feet as well so the enemy will be able to follow you as well. Misty step is a TP you can use it to put yourself on higher ground that is unreachable or at least requires them to climb. Not to mention that when you cast misty step you still have your remaining movement left so you can move 30 more feet or 60 if you use your action to dash, putting you up to 90 feet away. Plus you can hit them with movement reducing spells like ray of frost which will buy you even more time.
    If you want swift quiver play a bard and take it at level 10.
    Last edited by tieren; 2017-09-19 at 08:21 AM.