New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Time & Space IC

"Doctor Lynwood." The Captain offered the name of the Airport 7 survivors' defacto leader and stepped back a little, waiting expectantly, she didn't know whether Laurel's powers required space or not but she figured it was better to er on the safe side.

Laurel reached out with her mind towards the structure seeking to make contact with whatever survivors might still be inside, and something answered. Part Human, part Ood and part something else, whatever it was roared back against the psychic, flooding her mind with a blindingly pain cacophony.

((Laurel give me Resolve+Ingenuity vs (2d6+13)[16] with damage values of 1/2/3))

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair here, Laurel had peered into the mind of one of the Gods of Ragnarok and come out sane. She might have been surprised enough by that psychic roar for it to get past her active psionic defense, but it would take more than that to fracture her will. She quickly withdrew from the contact, though.

While the psionic attack may have failed to find purchase, though, its meaning did not. She looked at Schneider with fallen features, and shook her head. "I made contact but...it wasn't human. Or...not entirely, at any rate. It felt...a little like a human, and a little like an Ood, but...there was more to it. Not a type of mind I've ever really felt before." She looked to Ky, wondering if he might have any insights. She knew it was a long shot.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh goody. There was evidently a warm welcome waiting inside. Mindful of morale, Ky did his best to put a positive spin on that.

"Ood are s-susceptible to psychic s-subversion. Perhaps they and s-some humans are being controlled by the same entity. T-The creatures we've m-met so far seemed to be mindless. The fact that you s-sensed a mind at all is...encouraging? It's different, at any rate. This m-might be something new."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

"Uh, no no. I didn't contact a human mind, an Ood mind, and another mind. I contacted a
    mind that felt partially human, partially Ood, and partially something else. And it did not like being touched."
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Ky switched to telepathy for the next answer.

[I k-know. I was trying to be diplomatic. Saying 'maybe all the helpless civilians got their m-minds smushed together' seemed a bit harsh.]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

~Ah,~ Laurel sent back, a bit deadpan. Oops. Well, to be fair, her and Ky's differing viewpoints regarding information sharing have been well-established.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

"You heard her." Captain Schneider spoke as Ky and Laurel switched to telepathic conversation "The airport has been overtaken by a hostile intelligence, standard protocols are in affect from here on out."

Still labouring under the assumption that Ky and Laurel were both human and natives to this time period she didn't feel the need to explain what the standard protocols were exactly but Ky would know (and Laurel could certainly hazard a guess given what she'd learned) that they were far more in the line of 'shoot first' than 'open a constructive dialogue'.

"Our first priority is now to locate Project Boilerplate, then aid the civilians in the location of the parts they need. At which point..." She continued, turning straight to Ky "...your vehicle will be commandeered in service of the Empire to take us to the Object."

Without even waiting for anyone to raise any objections she started to move towards the building using what little cover she and her subordinates could find before they stopped at the fence that surrounded the building and crouching low, producing a pair of wire cutters from her gear and cutting a hole whilst Jalco and Smith watched the surroundings carefully for any sign of the shambling creatures.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Ky didn't even bother to explain 'standard protocols' to Laurel. Their nature was painfully obvious. But as with so many barbarities of this time period, Ky forced himself to bear it. Then Captain Schneider crossed the line. Then she pushed her luck too far. On the outside, Ky met her demand with simple reluctance. He made a show of considering it; Before grudgingly nodding.

"...Fine. S-So long as you wipe your feet first."

His words to Laurel painted a very different picture.

[Never. Under n-no circumstances whatsoever. After all you've s-seen, you know the truth as well as I do: The Empire absolutely must not g-gain access to a TARDIS. Protocol and m-morality both demand that I do whatever it takes. Even...

...Well, l-let's hope it doesn't come to that.
    ]

The emotions pouring through the telepathic link left no room for doubt. Ky wouldn't bend on this. This was a fundamental principle of the Time Lords. It had been drilled into him throughout his entire life. He would do everything he could to get himself and Laurel through this ordeal alive. But if forced to choose between their lives and the sanctity of his TARDIS, there was no choice.

That said, his mind was already poring through possible ways to switch tracks, before reaching that particular junction. He already had a few promising ideas. There was nothing like the threat of impending death (on at least three fronts, no less) to spur creativity.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-03-18 at 03:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Laurel's viewpoint on that subject had already been what could best be summed up as a sarcastic "Yeah, that'll happen." And she absolutely had seen enough to understand Ky's concerns. But even so, the sheer fervor of the normally non-confrontational young(ish?) man surprised her. She adjusted her estimates of the overall power level of a TARDIS up accordingly.

~If we can talk them down when it comes to it that's ideal, but rest assured I will not hesitate to hurl away anyone who tries to step foot on board without your express consent.~ Those plans may not have had the oomph of the worst-case options Ky was considering, but there was a quiet confidence behind them. Laurel had no intention of it ever getting to the point where they needed that kind of "oomph".

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

The fence was quickly dealt with and the soldiers quickly crawled through, moving between the abandoned vehicles that lead up to the front of the airport until they reached the front entrance. The automatic doors of the building stubbornly refused to open as they approached but they were no match for a concerted physical effort from the soldiers.

Slowly the doors were forced open leading in to the large open check in area of the former airport and the three soldiers just stood and stared, every single surface from the floors and ceilings to the check in desks and kiosks that were dotted around the space was completely covered by a pale off-white substance as far as the eye could see.

Laurel had sold the idea to Captain Schneider that Ky knew things, that in terms of information he was incredibly valuable, and so her gaze flicked from the bizarre scene in front of her to the young Time Lord and back again.

"Something's clearly killed the power, some of us should try to find the generators. Unless you've got a better idea?"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Ky did indeed know things. For instance, he knew that airports usually weren't covered in goop. Such a discrepancy was worth investigating.

"W-Wait a minute. Let me take a look at this s-substance first."

Moving to the front of the group, he knelt down close to the goo's border. He also made sure to avoid doing two things: Actually touching the mysterious goo; And allowing the soldiers to see what he was really doing. While pretending to simply peer at (and sniff) the goo, he surreptitiously pulled back his left sleeve. On his arm was a seamless metallic wristband. As he uncovered it, a few Gallifreyan symbols appeared briefly on its surface. With a subtle motion of the wrist, Ky initiated a scan of the goo.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ky uses his dimensional extrapolator {yes, he has one of those} to scan the goo. I'm guessing that that's Awareness+Medicine+2?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

While Ky examined the goop, Laurel considered Schneider's suggestion.

On the one hand, this whole adventure was almost certain to turn into a pitched shootout pretty much the moment the soldiers encountered the...whatever they were. Aliens? Lets go with aliens. Even in the best case scenario, that meant a lot of dead aliens, which despite their seemingly animalistic intelligence, Laurel still wanted to avoid if she could help it. They weren't completely non-sapient; her telepathic contact had made that much clear.

And that was the best case. They had no idea how many of them might be here. Gunfire would bring more running, and if they were indeed part Ood, they might well have had some sort of mental link themselves, so an attack on one could very well alert everyone in the vicinity. That might even have been probable, given the force of the telepathic attack she had received. She didn't know for sure, but it seemed strange that a being with limited cognitive abilities could generate that much mental force. A hive mind, on the other hand, would be likely to display such mental strength. At the end of the day, they had four combatants. Laurel would rank her telekinesis up there with any gun, but it wasn't a superweapon. They could easily be overwhelmed.

So the optimal move was cautious, stealthy progress towards their goal. Slip in, slip past, and slip out. To that end, Laurel was a choice scout. She was probably the stealthiest and, with her telekinesis, the most mobile of the group. Her telepathy allowed her to relay information subtly and rapidly. And telepathic hive-minds aside, she at least had a reasonable shot of neutralizing a sentry quietly and without permanent harm, if she could get the drop on it.

Splitting up in earnest didn't sound smart to her. That just gave them more chances to alert the aliens and get picked off. Laurel had watched horror movies before, thanks. But scouting ahead and guiding the group's progress did sound practical.

It did expose her to somewhat additional risk, compared to the others...but to Laurel that wasn't a deal-breaker. Or even necessarily that bad a thing. She wasn't super-thrilled with the possibility that hostiles could come up behind them and she wouldn't be on hand to protect Ky, but overall she was pretty sure the total risk would be mitigated.

"Splitting up would be dangerous. We don't have a specific time limit; speed is only to our advantage insofar as it reduces the total risk we're exposed to. But while splitting up doubles our speed, it also both doubles the possibility of encountering hostiles and halves our ability to respond to them. I'd advise we stick together. That said...it might be best if I move ahead of the rest of the group. I have infiltration training, I might be able to find routes around the hostiles."

Show
    With the power out, what's the lighting situation in here? Merely poor or pretty much pitch black once we get further in? I know the soldiers stocked up on guns but did they bring along any like night vision gear or such?
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-03-20 at 05:51 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

"F-Fungus? Interesting..."

Ky's brow creased. He didn't know what to make of this new information. Knowing that a fungus was the thing trying to eat his face wouldn't necessarily stop said face from being eaten. For now, he just filed away the morsel. Maybe it'd come in handy later. Rolling his sleeve back down, he straightened up.

"All right, I'm r-ready."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Ky stopping to examine the goop gave Captain Schneider time to consider Laurel's proposal, whilst Privates Smith and Jalco were proud soldiers of the Empire and she'd never say it out loud, under any other circumstances they wouldn't exactly have been her first choice for a mission like this. So she wasn't exactly as reluctant as she might have otherwise to let her scout ahead.

"Okay, we will maintain a safe zone here, find us a route to the generators and then report back here." She gave the nod to Laurel before turning her attentions to Ky "So you're supposed to be the brains here, what can you tell us about this stuff?" She asked, nudging the strange substance beneath their feet.

If she was to head off from the group Laurel wouldn't have much trouble locating the generators, it might have seen better days but Airport 7 was still an airport after all and everything was quite clearly signposted (even if the signs were covered in the pale fungal growths). After a short amount of scouting Laurel would find a door marked 'Maintenance/Generator:Employees Only'.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Ky gave the departing Laurel a nervous wave. Her decision to scout ahead made tactical sense. And he certainly didn't want to put her in danger by bumbling alongside her. But he equally didn't want to be left alone with Captain Schneider. His eyes followed Laurel until she'd completely disappeared. This place felt even more hostile without her. Despite her penchant for interference, her presence was...comforting. He had to admit that he was going to miss her, once she'd been dropped off back on Earth.

His musings were interrupted by a demand from Captain Schneider: But a reasonable one, for once. He satisfied her curiosity as best he could. Though he took care to make his findings sound like speculation; Rather than the results of a technological scan.

"It appears t-to be a type of fungus. Judging by the consistency and various other f-factors, I think it incorporates s-several types of foreign organic matter. Laurel said that she could sense a m-mixture of human, Ood, and something else. Maybe she was in contact with this substance? Some kind of t-telepathic fungus, that can l-learn from lifeforms it encounters?"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Laurel slipped quietly through the airport, following the signs. When she came to the maintenance room, she moved back a fair bit, crouching down and holding her breath, staying very still. If any of the aliens were inside, they would be more likely to detect her by hearing than sight. Once she was positioned, she opened the door slowly with her telekinesis and peered inside.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

As Laurel left to scout ahead Captain Schneider and her subordinates formed a triangle around Ky, mostly this was just to keep as many lines of sight open as they possibly could whilst waiting for her to come back, but protecting one of the only people who seemed to know what was going on was a nice side benefit.

"Killer mushrooms? Great that's just what we need." The Captain groused, fungus after all probably wasn't going to be particularly susceptible to the standard 'controlled three round bursts' doctrine, but still she lived in hope. Despite the seriousness of the situation Private Jalco couldn't help but snicker, a quick glare from the Captain quickly shut him up and he resumed staring out in to the darkness, eyes peeled for any lumbering shapes.

The door slowly opened in front of Laurel, its near soundlessness a testament to the hard work of the airport's late (?) maintenance staff, leading to a set of metal steps that lead down in to the dark. Drawn by what little noise their was heavy thudding steps made their way ponderously up the stairs towards the door until one of the creatures stood in the door way, slime dripping from its enormous maw.

((Laurel give me Coordination+Subterfuge vs (2d6+9)[14]))

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Laurel stayed very still and very quiet, not even daring to breathe. Go away. Just go away... she thought insistently.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Laurel got her wish and after a few long seconds the creature left her be and shambled away passed her in the direction she just came from...

"Captain...um...Captain...?" Back with Ky and the troops Private Smith quietly attempted to get the attention of his direction superior.

"Spit it out Private!" She snapped back at him without even bothering to move her head away from her rifle sight, perhaps just a little bit too loud, but in her defense she's been having quite a week.

"5 hostiles coming this way..." He replied, and whether they scared him more than the Captain was a very good question...

In an instant Captain Schneider spun round and saw the 5 figures shuffling out of the darkness passed a fungus covered coffee kiosk towards them.

((Okay gang it's time to try the Extended Action rules! Everybody state your intent. I don't think I need to tell you Captain Schneider's))

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Ky turned with trepidation, to behold the sight he'd been dreading all along. Five familiar figures were shambling towards him. He'd already been given a very graphic demonstration of their intentions. All right, all right, stay calm. Focus on solutions. Don't think about your flesh being viciously torn apa-Don't think about that! He was honestly tempted to simply cower, while Captain Schneider fired away. The creatures weren't even sentient, after all. There was just one problem with the 'shoot them all' strategy: It clearly didn't work. The planet's defence forces were hopelessly outnumbered. Being loud and violent would just attract more enemies. Trickery seemed to work much better. Ky thought back to the ruse Laurel had used earlier. Without telekinesis, he couldn't follow her example precisely; But he could at least try throwing something. He scanned the immediate area for something suitably solid.

Show
    Is there anything around here that could be thrown? Ky is looking for something that'll travel a fair distance, and make an audible impact.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the good news is, it was going away.

The bad news was, it was going past her towards the others. It might not actually go all the way to them, so it wasn't worth alerting it (and, quite possibly, more of them) to her presence, but she needed to at least alert the others. ~I found the maintenance room. Going to see about turning the power on, but one of the aliens is heading in your direction. It might not actually be heading to you, but it may be smart to fall back some just in case.~

Spoiler
    Show
    Talking as a standard action! If I can send that to all of them I will, if not I guess just to Ky.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Aha! Ky's roaming eyes found their prize. Nestled in a cubbyhole untouched by fungus, lay a multicoloured ball. He recognised it from his visits to other human colonies. It was one of those annoying, powered toys that bounced off every surface in the vicinity: Including Ky's face. He always got hit by these things while sitting near kids in waiting rooms. Saving his life was the least it could do to repay him.

He urgently scooped up the abandoned object. Its original owner probably had no more use for it. With that depressing thought stuck in his own head, Ky threw the ball over the heads of his pursuers. Hopefully it'd be good at bouncing off fungus too.

Show
    1 Story Point spent. Deepest apologies for being so slow to post. I've been stretched a bit thin lately.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Brightly coloured balls continue to utterly fail to increase the quality of Ky's life, one of the monsters brief paused its slow shambling march and cocked its head to 'watch' the ball ricochet away but the hammering heart beats of Captain Schneider's men were a greater draw still and the creatures continued to draw ever closer.

"Controlled three round bursts!" the Captain barked and the sound of gunfire filled the air, bullets tore through the zombies and sent them tumbling to the floor, though they began to twitchily pull themselves to their feet almost as soon as they hit the ground.

"Everyone of those things is going to know where we are now! We have to move!"

((Unless you have a better idea it's time for a chase! Ky roll me straight Coordination against (2d6)[5]))

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Her warning sent, Laurel advanced into the control room. Ky had said the weird stuff on the walls was some sort of fungus, and her understanding was fungus didn't like bright light. Maybe turning the power back on would do...something. It was worth a try, anyway. She started looking over the machinery to try to see if she could find, like, an on switch or something.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mover: Into the control room.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Putting distance between them and the creatures wasn't too difficult, although what they lacked in speed they more than made up for in persistence and the sound of shuffling feet was never quite out of earshot.

"In here." Captain Schneider hissed as she spotted a door labelled 'Maintenance/Generator:Employees Only' "If we stay quite they should pass us by."

Assuming Ky had no objections (Smith and Jalco certainly knew better to raise any) the Captain would turn the lock behind them and place a finger on her lips as the sound of the creatures outside drew closer.

Down the stairs and further down the corridor Laurel would find the maintenance area opens up in to a much larger room with two doors to her right and a single door to her left as well as the generator equipment in question against the back wall, all of it covered in the fungal moss. In the centre of the room stood a huge mound of the substance, dotted with Ood translator balls, each one slowly blinking on and off.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Oooookay...

Laurel had a weird impulse to just start blasting the big ol' moss mound telekinetically, but since she was good at nonviolence and bad at video games, she was able to squelch the urge. Barely.

Instead, staying as far from the mound as she possibly could, she examined the generator. She did not touch it, but would use her telekinesis as necessary to clear moss if she needed to to get a better look - always keeping a close eye on the main mound when she did. She would also regularly be scanning the walls, floors, and ceiling for any tendrils that looked in any way like they were moving, creeping, or slithering towards her.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't actually know enough about the setting to say for sure, but until I get evidence to the contrary I am going to assume that a key part of initial Torchwood training is binging on horror movies and part of the final exam includes writing a detailed essay for how you would have survived them. And that this procedure has probably saved the lives of countless agents.

Also, I assume it would be Ingenuity+Technology to try to figure out how to turn the thing on. Not gonna SP boost it because meh I'm sure Ky can handle it easily but hey maybe the difficulty's low and I do actually have a Technology rank so: (2d6+5)[16]. Rock on Laurel! You show 'em the value of cross-class skills!
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-04-15 at 12:53 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Ky obediently cowered along with the others. Cowering was one of his specialities. Though his body remained still (aside from some fearful tremors), his eyes were very active. This particular hiding place had been well selected. Maintenance sections could contain all manner of useful items. Ky examined the room as thoroughly as he could without actually touching anything. Maybe there'd be a clue in here; Or a lurking monster. Either way, Ky wanted to know about it.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-04-15 at 04:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Luckily for Laurel, despite being a star-spanning interstellar empire in the (to her) far future, the humble generator didn't seem to have undergone many advances under the reign of the Second Great and Bountiful Human Empire. With a little bit of effort the generator rumbled back in to life and the lights began to flicker back in to life, not just on the ceiling above her but through the entire port.

Meanwhile with the lights back on Ky would be able to see that he was currently cowering at the top of a flight of metal stairs that lead down in to a corridor which almost immediately took a turn to the right. As the lights turned back on, Captain Schnieder looked around and allowed herself the to smile just a little bit.

"Looks like your friend got the generator working." She said whispered, still very much aware of the creatures on the other side of the door. "There should be a terminal somewhere around here, I'll take point, Jalco you watch our rear and Smith...don't touch anything."

With that she began to make her way down the stairs, the metal creaking under her footsteps despite her efforts to do otherwise.

Incidentally Laurel starts to hear sounds of movement back the way she came....

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah Laurel could admit it. There was a part of her that had been hoping turning the lights on might do...something to the fungus. Well, it was a hope.

Hearing movement approaching, Laurel positioned herself in a corner on the same side of the room as the door (behind the door itself if it opened inward), making herself very small and still. Hopefully they'd just go away, but if they tried to turn off the generator again...well, Laurel would have to stop them, and if she could catch them by surprise, that was optimal.

Laurel may have played nice, but she felt precisely zero compunction to play fair.

~I'm in the generator room but I'm hearing something coming. Once it's clear though Ky you should check this place out. There's, um, a lot of this fungus stuff in here. It's weird. Where are you guys at?~

Spoiler
    Show
    Coordination+Subterfuge: (2d6+8)[15].

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Ky blinked as his eyes adjusted to the new light. Good going, Laurel! This was a definite boon for the human/Time Lord team. Since the creatures were all blind, they wouldn't benefit at all. Now a bit bolder, Ky followed Captain Schneider down the stairs. It seemed as if things were going smoothly again. Still, Ky got the feeling he was missing an important part of the picture. This whole situation had too many unanswered questions.

[There's a lot of f-fungus everywhere. What makes that batch so weird? Anyway, I'm in an employee m-maintenance area. It l-looks like it's near the generator. We're trying to find a computer terminal, to access the port's s-systems.]