New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Question Translating CoC Masks of Nyarlathotep into WoD? Is this madness?

Wow... glad to see this account has not been removed. It's been LONG since i last posted. How are you doing everyone?

A few months back i found Masks of Nyarlathotep and it's wonderful Companion. I loved the thing to pieces and I would like to play this on Classic Werewolf The Apocalypse. Is this doable? I mean.... thematically it seems lik it would work. I am having trouble with starting things though... Like, an archeoligical expedition gone wrong seems perfect for a 1920's game... but on more modern times (I am imagining early 90's) it does not seem to have the same draw.

I am thinking of using some plot involving Silent Sriders kinfolk trying to reclaim their ancestral homeland or something of the sort....

What do you think? Is this workable?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Translating CoC Masks of Nyarlathotep into WoD? Is this madness?

Does it fit the gameplay style? Garou have a lot resources at their disposal (including the option of clawing their way out of a bad encounter) that human investigators would not.
    Last edited by Braininthejar2; 2017-09-17 at 09:59 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, gamestyle it may not be the best fit. Werewolf is a much more violent game. But garou may be able to survive the horrors of the outer void much better than your common investigator. I never completely liked how easy it is to die on a CoC game.

thematically... i think it fits, in both settings investigators and garou alike are fightin a losing battle against incomprehensibly alien beings.

I think the Defiler Wyrm and Nyarlathotep share some common ground in their desire to corrupt humanity to some unfathomable goal.

Hell, i could even turn the Dark One into a maeljin of sorts.

4. - Top - End - #4

Yea, the theme fits.

Oh, one more thing to look out for is investigation options - a good werewolf shaman could literally interrogate inanimate objects for clues, and that might provide unintended shortcuts through some sections of the adventure.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hmmm... that's true. Interrogating spirits is what i would try to do. Innanimate objects maybe not so much, as far as I remember you'd have to awaken them first and i think they only know what they have seen/heard once awakened. i may be wrong though....

6. - Top - End - #6

There are some gifts that allow interaction with technically unawakened spirits, such as asking a machine how best to fix it, or intimidating a piece of junk into working one last time, so players might argue. It depends on what you have established with your players in previous campaigns.

Also, elementals are nearly omnipresent, though many might be uninterested in the affairs of mortals. (or very frustrating to talk to due to their unique perspective)