New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Spheres of Power] The Auspician's Handbook: Let Fate be my love henceforth!

Willkommen to Nietzsche's favorite playtest, The Auspician's Handbook! I am Drop Dead Studio's newest writer and the proud papa of the newest sphere handbook.

Inside you will find content devoted to the Fate sphere, including:
    • Archetypes for Inquisitor, Mageknight, Paladin, and Swashbuckler to manipulate luck and fate.
    • A new type of talent, Motifs, that channel universal archetypes to tug at the warp and weft of destiny's tapestry.
    • New Words and Consecrations to diversify your auspician's repertoire.
    • New Feats, including the new Chance feat category.
    • Two new monsters, the cù-sìth and the mau.
    • Advice to DMs who want alignment to take a more prominent or less intrusive role in their Spheres of Power campaigns.

Please feel free to comment on the document or here. The more specific the comments the better because that way I can address them. "This is awesome!" is appreciated, but "This could be made better by X, Y, and Z" helps me make it better. I'll be reading every comment even if I'm not able to respond to them.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2017-09-18 at 01:41 AM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Sheres of Power] The Auspician's Handbook: Let Fate be my love henceforth!

threat title is wrong sir. its spheres not sheres of power
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Spheres of Power] The Auspician's Handbook: Let Fate be my love henceforth!

Thank you for catching that. This is indeed not a book about wondrous scissors.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2017-09-18 at 01:42 AM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Spheres of Power] The Auspician's Handbook: Let Fate be my love henceforth!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post

Thank you for catching that. This is indeed not a book about wondrous scissors.
    small question why give harbinger ( a path of war class) low casting via feat. I am just curious since i want to see this as omen for eventual path of war spheres of might and power fusion book so care to answer the question please?
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    small question why give harbinger ( a path of war class) low casting via feat. I am just curious since i want to see this as omen for eventual path of war spheres of might and power fusion book so care to answer the question please?
    That's really a question to ask Adam Meyers, the bossman here at Drop Dead Studios. As far as I know, however, such a project is not in the works or likely to be in the future. While OGL allows us to work with each other's projects to some extent, Path of War and the Spheres projects are by two different companies with two different philosophies. I included Hexenmeister for three reasons: A) Path of War is popular and making the two at least compatible allows people to combine their favorite products; B) Harbinger is my favorite PoW class and has a theme compatible with both Fate and the Grim Disciple specifically; and C) I wanted to use the name somehow.

There is at least one other piece of Spheres of Power material that uses Path of War: the Warshifter, a Shifter archetype that gets maneuvers.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm too busy at the moment to check the book out , so a quick question here: Does the book include a way to reroll dice? Can you prevent nat 1 fails (maybe in exxchange of no nat 20 success)?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    I'm too busy at the moment to check the book out , so a quick question here: Does the book include a way to reroll dice? Can you prevent nat 1 fails (maybe in exxchange of no nat 20 success)?
    yep you have a talent for it

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

B) Harbinger is my favorite PoW class and has a theme compatible with both Fate and the Grim Disciple specifically
    You make Malefex sad .
    Last edited by AlienFromBeyond; 2017-09-18 at 03:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel like the motifs in general are not super useful. There's a ton of them, the bonuses are both situational and weak, they all cost a spell point, and they barely scale.

The idea is super cool though. Allow me to toss an idea your way:

Still keep them specific to a single concept, but drop the spell point cost, and make them stronger, but you can only have a limited motif total on you at any given time.

EDIT: Plus insight bonuses are super over-represented in DSP and DDS products. If you really want to keep the spell point cost, maybe make it a luck bonus.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2017-09-19 at 11:19 AM.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    I feel like the motifs in general are not super useful. There's a ton of them, the bonuses are both situational and weak, they all cost a spell point, and they barely scale.

The idea is super cool though. Allow me to toss an idea your way:

Still keep them specific to a single concept, but drop the spell point cost, and make them stronger, but you can only have a limited motif total on you at any given time.

EDIT: Plus insight bonuses are super over-represented in DSP and DDS products. If you really want to keep the spell point cost, maybe make it a luck bonus.
    So. Dropping spell point cost isn't an option. There is a blanket prohibition in SoP products against free effects with a duration. I disagree on power. Their purpose is not as a buff but as a panic button. You use the tower to ruin a fighter's day; the ability to slowly destroy objects is gravy.

As for making them luck bonuses, that is what they originally were. Unfortunately, someone pointed out Fate's Favored. Given the small bonuses given by the base effects, it'd become de rigeur for any caster using motifs. Untyped bonuses are problematic, so insight was the next best thing. It's not my first choice at all, so solutions would be much appreciated.

11. - Top - End - #11

As for making them luck bonuses, that is what they originally were. Unfortunately, someone pointed out Fate's Favored. Given the small bonuses given by the base effects, it'd become de rigeur for any caster using motifs. Untyped bonuses are problematic, so insight was the next best thing. It's not my first choice at all, so solutions would be much appreciated.
    I actually don't have an issue with motif talents giving luck bonuses (just as long as the bonuses are small and/or very slow scaling such as a +1 bonus +1 per 10 caster levels). The main issue I had with motif talents being luck bonuses before was that there was a line you included about luck bonuses from motif talents stacking with other motif bonuses.

12. - Top - End - #12

Why do luck bonuses stack in the first place? That's not how it works in PF.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Why do luck bonuses stack in the first place? That's not how it works in PF.
    It was originally a specific rule that motif bonuses stacked with each other. It was taken out for obvious reasons.

14. - Top - End - #14

Then you could change insight back to luck, I suppose.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

So. Dropping spell point cost isn't an option. There is a blanket prohibition in SoP products against free effects with a duration. I disagree on power. Their purpose is not as a buff but as a panic button. You use the tower to ruin a fighter's day; the ability to slowly destroy objects is gravy.
    I'll accept they are going to not be buffs but instead highly specific, one off, expensive panic buttons. There's still 21 of them currently, each one covering a single specific issues. Can we at least be able to get two motifs for each talent spent?
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    I'll accept they are going to not be buffs but instead highly specific, one off, expensive panic buttons. There's still 21 of them currently, each one covering a single specific issues. Can we at least be able to get two motifs for each talent spent?
    From a general point of view, I want a talent be useful enough that it doesn't feel like waste when I actually take it instead using a wand for it. So the more specific a use is, the more common the situation needs to be. Otherwise collecting several uses like Life does would be more to my liking. There some talents provide a generic benefit (increase healing by 1d8) and specific benefits (can treat some stuff like diseases).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I wanted to use the name somehow.
    Please don´t.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Please don´t.
    What is the problem exactly? Maybe, that the German version is already using that name for sorcerer?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Please don´t.
    Why? Hexenmeister is a cool name!

Regarding the motifs, I don't think stacking was the problem so much as Fate's Favored being mandatory for anyone using them if they were luck bonuses. Agreed on needing to either change them back or increase the scaling though. Would love to put together a build combining them with the Rajah and their Title veils to make the truest namer ever.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    Why? Hexenmeister is a cool name!
    Hexenmeister is the german translation for the sorcerer class and also a bit of a problematic term as it means "a male witch".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Minor update to Inevitable: I added a new 1st-level deed and changed the deed that referenced judgement.

Regarding motifs: I see your point, EldritchWeaver and Mithril Leaf. I'm not entirely certain I agree, but I'll keep thinking about it. If anyone else wants to weigh in, I'd appreciate it.

22. - Top - End - #22

Regarding motifs: I see your point, EldritchWeaver and Mithril Leaf. I'm not entirely certain I agree, but I'll keep thinking about it. If anyone else wants to weigh in, I'd appreciate it.
    What is the argument to make talents mostly useless when not used via magic items or temporary talent access?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

If an emergency button is really situational, and thus not that likely to come up often in actual play, I'd assume no one at my table would ever take it. Or maybe, if they had a build that was vulnerable to only specific conditions then perhaps they might occasionally take those.

I'd be more inclined to either take something that helped in multiple areas, increasing the chances that it would be useful on a regular basis, or if it were to remain very specific then to skip it entirely.
    ~ Ualaa

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm also not really sold on the idea of motifs. They're generally unexciting, being mostly flat numerical bonuses, and also too specific for me to ever consider spending a whole talent on them. If I was a Fate sphere specialist with talents to spare I'd sooner spend them out into other spheres and refluff the abilities to be fate themed than put spare talents into motifs.

Not to say they're useless, there are obviously situations each can save you on, but in terms of both spell point cost and opportunity cost when choosing talents, they fall behind.

So. Dropping spell point cost isn't an option. There is a blanket prohibition in SoP products against free effects with a duration.
    This is a strange claim because there are a decent handful of things in other spheres that do this. Light sphere most notably has things like Guiding Light and Irradiance which have an effect that lasts 1 minute per CL for free without the need for bright light, and Glory for any one bright light talent to be active for free.

Divination has Nature Sense, which is basically a self-targeting Motif with better scaling, and it's free.

Even though these effects aren't as strong as the motifs, there clearly isn't a blanket ban on the concept.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I do agree that motifs could be stronger, and have less saving throw bonuses. I'd like to see more that give character's unique abilities as well. I'm not a big fan of making them last a long time without a spell point cost - abilities either have a resource cost or an action cost, and frankly there are enough spheres with minute per CL effects already. I think just rewriting some of them with a boost to power level (+1 per 10 CL is really weak for just about anything that isn't an attack roll) and giving them more powerful discard effects would be sufficient.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

You could just change the Motifs back into luck bonuses and include a clause that forbids them from being combined/affected by Fate's Favored.

Making them give untyped bonuses is also an option (which you dismissed above, but didn't really give a reason for doing so except for untyped bonuses being "problematic"), especially since they're so weak (according to the other posters in this thread).
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    You could just change the Motifs back into luck bonuses and include a clause that forbids them from being combined/affected by Fate's Favored.
    Just as long as the luck bonuses are small and dont stack with each other, I don't see why allowing Fate's Favored to affect them should be an issue.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

So. Dropping spell point cost isn't an option. There is a blanket prohibition in SoP products against free effects with a duration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezzaluna View Post
    This is a strange claim because there are a decent handful of things in other spheres that do this. Light sphere most notably has things like Guiding Light and Irradiance which have an effect that lasts 1 minute per CL for free without the need for bright light, and Glory for any one bright light talent to be active for free.
    It's a little more complicated than 'free effects with a duration.' Basically, costless buffs with a duration (and some other effects) are something to be avoided, because a caster can just spam it on all their allies and refresh it whenever necessary. While this can be a problem of unintended power, the concern is just as much about simplification and logistics - if you can really use it on everyone reliably, the design should take that into account to streamline the player experience and make it easier to balance.

Costless motifs as they are would fall afoul of this, promoting a buff spam behavior, while the other effects you mention don't. Guiding Light and Irradiance aren't something you can or want to costlessly spam, as they're effects that target enemies and require combat actions to perform. Glory, on the other hand, avoids the issue by utilizing selfish design and a persistent duration: it only has its effect on you, and lasts however long you want to keep it going since you don't need to concentrate. Glory will function endlessly, but the design means it isn't something you're casting endlessly, let alone on anyone else.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    It's a little more complicated than 'free effects with a duration.' Basically, costless buffs with a duration (and some other effects) are something to be avoided, because a caster can just spam it on all their allies and refresh it whenever necessary. While this can be a problem of unintended power, the concern is just as much about simplification and logistics - if you can really use it on everyone reliably, the design should take that into account to streamline the player experience and make it easier to balance.

Costless motifs as they are would fall afoul of this, promoting a buff spam behavior, while the other effects you mention don't. Guiding Light and Irradiance aren't something you can or want to costlessly spam, as they're effects that target enemies and require combat actions to perform. Glory, on the other hand, avoids the issue by utilizing selfish design and a persistent duration: it only has its effect on you, and lasts however long you want to keep it going since you don't need to concentrate. Glory will function endlessly, but the design means it isn't something you're casting endlessly, let alone on anyone else.
    Thank you. I think I got a simplified version of that explaining why motifs couldn't be costless and overgeneralized it. (Not having played with Light and only skimmed for DMing/research doesn't help.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    Just as long as the luck bonuses are small and dont stack with each other, I don't see why allowing Fate's Favored to affect them should be an issue.
    It's less balance than creating an all-but-mandatory build option. Fate's Favored is already a phenomenal trait. I don't want to make it de rigeur.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2017-09-24 at 07:20 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Update:
    In response to a (just) savaging, I've completely revamped the Serendip. It is now a URogue archetype and rogues can select (chance) feats instead of rogue talents. Parzivalian knight also finally have something they can actually use instead of channel energy.