New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: How does seduction/flirtation work?

Rope. Duct-tape, or your in-game equivalent. A well bribed celebrant.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by overlordseamus View Post
    Rope. Duct-tape, or your in-game equivalent. A well bribed celebrant.
    Raping a PC?

The only thing you're flirting with is disaster.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Okay, at the risk of diagnosing your life, I would note that your problem here isn't that you're bad at flirting. Actually it sounds like you're pretty medium-okay at it, since your interactions aren't ending with thrown drinks or harsh language or awkward cutting off of contact. Your problem is that you've only done this like six times in four years. That's a pretty small sample size. And then I will move to discussing this in terms of your character.

People who are seductive or flirtatious are going to be acting seductive six or more times in one night, and when someone brushes them off they will just keep at it with someone else. They'll find situations where people are expecting flirtation (i.e. taverns, formal balls, the immediate aftermath of a deadly situation) and they will drop feelers there, and if those feelers aren't responded to they will smile and move on (I mean, presuming that they are, as you say, Good. Evil people probably get angry or pushy.) The key for playing it is to be confident in the moment, and shrug off failures. Fortunately, both of these things are pretty easy in a game, because it's not really you doing it.

In terms of details, aberratio ictus and Mark Hall have the best approaches. Just remember that you can easily say, "I contact fifteen or twenty people", and the GM can say, "two of them express interest."
    This ^

I knew a guy that just walked around at pubs/bars during weekends and asked the girls if they wanted to go home with him and have sex. He went home with a girl almost every weekend, sure he got punched and had drinks spilled on him but it worked.

As for the OP. Just discuss it with your fellow players and GM. I usually discuss this with my players, 2 of them have romantic interests that cropped during play. When I feel there is an interest for an NPC I usually talk to my players about it and if they have an interest in developing a romance.

I know that some of my male players are going to have problems flirting with me, a hulking, bearded, bear of a man. It poses no problem for me, I can easily put up a coquettish smile, batter my eyelashes and flirt with the best of them. Sometimes I even manage to pull it off.

Spoiler: How I use my (Wo)manly charms on the players
    Show
    Last session the PCs scared of a couple of muggers that were mugging a pretty girl. The girl immediately showed interest in one of the PC's and asked if he could walk her home safely. The PC obviously agreed. When they arrived at her place she wistfully informed him that her mother was at home but informed the PC seductively that if he would take her to the mayfair she would show him how grateful a girl can be. Then she planted a big, fat kiss on the PC. The player was grinning like an idiot...at least until his PC was going to pay for his next ale and found his pouch missing.
    Last edited by RazorChain; 2017-09-19 at 09:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Raping a PC?

The only thing you're flirting with is disaster.
    He didn't say chloroform, so I think it's more BDSM than rape.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Often the trick is taking them off-guard by being extremely forward.

I wolverine-clawed an unarmored Ogre through the chest that way. No better way to ignore Armor AC than getting them to take it off.

It helped that the PC in question was a bit of a madwoman who Always got her way no matter what.
    Last edited by weckar; 2017-09-20 at 07:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

I knew a guy that just walked around at pubs/bars during weekends and asked the girls if they wanted to go home with him and have sex. He went home with a girl almost every weekend, sure he got punched and had drinks spilled on him but it worked.
    Ah, the statistical approach to courtship. No need to invest skill points to those social skills, just keep rolling untill you get that natural 20.

Works best in settings where "insulting a woman's honor" is not grounds for hanging, duel to a death or crossbow marriage. Though if you're a woman yourself, you may be exempt of such anyway.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Wait, you think that the people talking about flirting on the internet, instead of doing it in real life, are going to be good at flirting or have any actual experience?

Furthermore, you expect people on a D&D forum to be good at flirting?

Apologies to those on this D&D forum who are good at flirting. All four of you
    Your apology is noted.
    :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    GM'ing is like handling a roasting pork shoulder; the adventure is long, fraught with peril, and when done well delicious in its payoff.
    It's best with friends, something to drink (alcohol if you need/want), jokes and a good sense to accept and enjoy everything with one another for the full experience.
    Mistakes get made sometimes, laugh it off, make up, and go kill the monster to take his loot.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    He didn't say chloroform, so I think it's more BDSM than rape.
    No, a celebrant is someone who performs weddings. The joke is about kidnapping someone and then marrying them (although it's not actually a rape joke, since you can marry someone without that.)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Not sure why people haven't suggested the obvious yet:

Invocation candles to bind a solar to use a Wish SLA to conjure a perfect mate and/or spouse.

Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
    Not sure why people haven't suggested the obvious yet:

Invocation candles to bind a solar to use a Wish SLA to conjure a perfect mate and/or spouse.

Problem solved.
    Hmmm... that does raise an interesting question: How would "Impregnated by a Celestial Being" impact inheritance? In this case, I can see it easily being an "technical bastardy" that would get overlooked, but there's also the element of coercion in using something like Invocation candles... Summon the Solar and ask nicely?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

I figure power of a Wish could set you up so no one would know what you did (if you phrase the request right).

Might even bypass the dangers of childbirth.
    Last edited by Pleh; 2017-09-20 at 03:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    This ^

And of I gave a darn about having sex I might have tried that approach by now. As it is I don't, so I'll give it a skip. My problems more on the other end, I don't notice when a man or woman is flirting with me or propositioning me until someone tells me. I'd blame the Autism, but it's really busy having a low Wisdom score and no ranks in sense motive.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And of I gave a darn about having sex I might have tried that approach by now. As it is I don't, so I'll give it a skip. My problems more on the other end, I don't notice when a man or woman is flirting with me or propositioning me until someone tells me. I'd blame the Autism, but it's really busy having a low Wisdom score and no ranks in sense motive.
    I know what you mean about the cluelessness. My wife knew about it how clueless I was, so she used a very direct approach. I often had my sister as a "wing man" where she would tell me when girls were hitting on me or showing interest :)