New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1099 - The Discussion Thread

I mean, Blur/Displacement remain useful buffs throughout the campaign.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    I mean, Blur/Displacement remain useful buffs throughout the campaign.
    I guess? I dunno...
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Miss chances are good. No matter the attack bonus they have a flat chance to just not hit you. (yes, true seeing gets around it, but it really, really helps vs martials still)

A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Miss chances are good. No matter the attack bonus they have a flat chance to just not hit you. (yes, true seeing gets around it, but it really, really helps vs martials still)
    I see. Got it.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
    Minrah's cute. I hope she survives and then she and Durkon hit it off.

Hey, he's only 50 or so.
    I hope she joins the team, but I don't think she will hit it off with Durkon. Not until she gets more life experience... right now she's like a newborn baby when compared to him...

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Poor Blackwing.

Your day will come!
    Don't worry, V will cast PaO when (s)he reaches level 17, and he will become a Thunderbird or Battletitan Dinosaur or an Great Wyrm...

6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground

Comparing Polymorph with Polymorph Any Object, I don't see why Vaarsuvius couldn't transform Blackwing into a more formidable creature for the duration of combat with just Polymorph...
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    Comparing Polymorph with Polymorph Any Object, I don't see why Vaarsuvius couldn't transform Blackwing into a more formidable creature for the duration of combat with just Polymorph...
    He could, conceivably. Doing so is somewhat risky, because it turns Blackwing from a largely unimportant class feature into a threat that enemies need to take down. If Blackwing dies, V suffers some rather painful consequences.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #218

Well, yeah. Point being: Polymorph Any Object wouldn't change that situation appreciably, so likely it is a tactical reason not to choose that tactic, not the fact that the elf doesn't have a more powerful version of the spell...
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem is, as a Familiar his Hit Points are set to 1/2 V's, no matter how big or tough a creature he turns into. AND A Wizard's BAB, and saves which makes him a lot less useful in a melee monster build then those actual monsters would be.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zindaras View Post
    Would you know that if you're playing D&D? Previously, we've only seen the swirly eyes when everyone knew they were being dominated, so couldn't it just be that we don't see that Minrah is being dominated?
    If the DM said that a character had swirly eyes.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    He could, conceivably. Doing so is somewhat risky, because it turns Blackwing from a largely unimportant class feature into a threat that enemies need to take down. If Blackwing dies, V suffers some rather painful consequences.
    Well, that and Blackwing is a character that team knows and likes, and they generally don't want those getting dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Well, that and Blackwing is a character that team knows and likes, and they generally don't want those getting dead
    True, but that's the case for everyone in the Order except Belkar, and that's hardly stopped them from allowing each other to fight.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure. But all of them have at least double the HP of Blackwing (Who has half the HP of the ELVEN wizard. The one with the penalty to constitution. Because Elf.)

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Sure. But all of them have at least double the HP of Blackwing (Who has half the HP of the ELVEN wizard. The one with the penalty to constitution. Because Elf.)
    Plus they're all better at fighting than him. Even Mr. Scruffy is probably better than him.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The Vampire were standing out of the gates that leads into the city the Order came through the gates that leads to the slopes of the mountain.
    Well, if you don't mind the absence of swirliness, she could have ben dominated during the initial attack, before the gates were closed. But then, they would have used her to open the gates and slaughter everyone inside, instead of wasting spells on the door. So no, she probably isn't dominated.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    If the DM said that a character had swirly eyes.
    That, and a rather low check to notice the character is dominated, if I remember correctly.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    That, and a rather low check to notice the character is dominated, if I remember correctly.
    The last kobold in the Linear Guild (I forget his name) is a good example of dominated, even without the swirly eyes you can tell he's under a spell (few facial expressions, stilted movement, doesn't speak unless commanded). Charm is harder to detect, if I recall the rules, as the victim still has free will (if skewed).

18. - Top - End - #228
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    DC 15 Sense Motive in 3.5. Down from DC 25 for enchantments generally.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Come on, at least let poor Blackwing eat a few low-level mooks, just for fun!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    The last kobold in the Linear Guild (I forget his name) is a good example of dominated, even without the swirly eyes you can tell he's under a spell (few facial expressions, stilted movement, doesn't speak unless commanded). Charm is harder to detect, if I recall the rules, as the victim still has free will (if skewed).
    I think we've seen a successful charm spell cause the target's eyes change color to the dweomer of the caster. (See Nale and Elan in strip 390-whatever.)

21. - Top - End - #231

I looked that up out of curiosity.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0393.html

Actually, that was Suggestion, not Charm Person. But I wouldn't be surprised if Charm used the same visual, since they are both spells that change the castee's perspective on something without blatantly making them a puppet.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

I looked that up out of curiosity.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0393.html

Actually, that was Suggestion, not Charm Person. But I wouldn't be surprised if Charm used the same visual, since they are both spells that change the castee's perspective on something without blatantly making them a puppet.
    Turns out, charm person is swirly eyes.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Suggestion also is sometimes (V used it on the dragon in 183 and it got swirly eyes).

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234

Hmmm. No consistency!!

Actually, I think I can No-Prize this:

Maybe if the enchantment is one that is possible to cast surreptitiously (unlike Domination) and the caster is trying to fool others that the castee is not acting under an enchantment, (Nale was trying to trick Haley with Elan's behavior, but did not care that Belkar's allies would know that he wasn't behaving normally,) THAT'S when the more subtle color-change eye effect comes into play.

Maybe? Sure, why not?
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe if the enchantment is one that is possible to cast surreptitiously (unlike Domination) and the caster is trying to fool others that the castee is not acting under an enchantment, (Nale was trying to trick Haley with Elan's behavior, but did not care that Belkar's allies would know that he wasn't behaving normally,) THAT'S when the more subtle color-change eye effect comes into play.

Maybe? Sure, why not?
    I'm going to guess 393 lacks the comedic swirly eyes because that would have interfered with the scene's deliberate raising of tension.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

26. - Top - End - #236

That's what I said! Except, y'know, simpler and clearer.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.