New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 of 8 PF

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default 1 of 8 PF

Joining a new game this week and I'll be 1 of 8 party members. Here is what I know so far.

Party:
    7 characters. I know there is a druid, hunter, gunslinger, monk, Orc barbarian, pyrokineticist, and a weird witch variant.

Level: 3

Campaign:
    Orient DM world

Stats in no order (rolled) rolled extremely well with this dude. 18 16 16 16 15 10

That is literally everything I know. It was suggested I go arcane caster.

What would you make to complement this group and have at least something to do in most situations? If you say a class i'd like to know what focus for spells, sample list, must have feats and such not just wizard is God, I know that already, but the party is big and could find myself napping instead of playing.

Sry for formatting and grammar it was done on phone.
    Iron chef accomplishments
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in
    Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods

Awesome avatar by Linklele! - currently seeking new avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 1 of 8 PF

Quote Originally Posted by arkangel111 View Post
    7 characters. I know there is a druid, hunter, gunslinger, monk, Orc barbarian, pyrokineticist, and a weird witch variant.
    Well, you've apparently got five frontliners (druid's animal companion, hunter, hunter's animal, monk, barbarian), one artillery (gunslinger), one controller (witch), and one healer (druid).

So a good choice here is Bard or Skald, both for the arcane utility magic and to boost your many frontliners. The Magus Guide contains a lot of good feats and spells that also apply to a bard. HTH!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Well, you've apparently got five frontliners (druid's animal companion, hunter, hunter's animal, monk, barbarian), one artillery (gunslinger), one controller (witch), and one healer (druid).

So a good choice here is Bard or Skald, both for the arcane utility magic and to boost your many frontliners. The Magus Guide contains a lot of good feats and spells that also apply to a bard. HTH!
    I second this, but I add that the party also lacks a clear face, which either of these classes is also good at.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Hard to recommend something here...

Large party like that, the best thing you can do is mass/passive buffs, that will have the most noticeable combat impact and people will simply love you for it. It also looks like thereīs no clear face on the party.

The obvious answer would be Bard or Skald, canīt go wrong there.

The not-so-obvious answer would be Medium, using the Marshall spirit as default option.

A Sister-In-Arms Cavalier (or Samurai) VMC Bard going for Battle Herald, maybe with Sisterhood Style is also a strong option.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Also +1 to bard or skald. Round out the arcane casting role, buff all of your allies, and provide a face as the only CHA based character.

Either also functions as a party textbook to handle the knowledges not covered by other characters.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: 1 of 8 PF

Alignment helps me make decisions.

Thief 15 16 16 16 18 10

Str 15

Dex 18

Int 10

Wis 16

Con 16

Cha 16

Feat trade out dex for str for hitting. Weapons finesse.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    Alignment helps me make decisions.

Thief 15 16 16 16 18 10

Str 15

Dex 18

Int 10

Wis 16

Con 16

Cha 16

Feat trade out dex for str for hitting. Weapons finesse.

...what?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Alternately, a Witch with the Cackle and Fortune hexes, and maybe other buff-type hexes. Get a mount to free up your move actions and laugh your way to victory. Doesn't get you face-abilities like Bard, but you're Int-based so lots of skills.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'll +1 on Bard.

I like Skald even better in some groups, but it's very dependant on the party - but Bard helps the gunslinger, the pyrokinetiscist, and the monk/hunter if they're ranged and/or Dex builds - many monks go Dex (which Skald doesn't).

Plus - as odd as it is from a fluff perspective, Skalds don't mesh well with Barbarians. (rages don't stack)
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2017-09-18 at 03:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: 1 of 8 PF

Quote Originally Posted by Wasum View Post
    ...what?
    How I would create a character with those stats.

Why be complicated?
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    How I would create a character with those stats.

Why be complicated?
    Your post just seemed somewhat weird. What is a thief?

And why would you ever go for dex with those stats? He could start with str 18 and dex 16 - with those attributes there is no need to go dex-based at all.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I'd go summoner or sorcerer specializing in summon spells. Summon spells are greatly enhanced vs their 3.5 counterparts.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    I'd go summoner or sorcerer specializing in summon spells. Summon spells are greatly enhanced vs their 3.5 counterparts.
    Eight. Players.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

I kind of feel like you should take advantage of those ludicrous stats somehow. Maybe you can pull off a MAD build that normally wouldn't work?

But yeah, +1 to Bard or Skald.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

If for some reason you don't want to go with Bard or Skald (which are both really great options), but still want to provide bonuses to the party on a large scale, you could consider Marshal or Dragon Shaman (but they're both likely to be significantly less effective).

Healing is a suboptimal (and often boring to play) use of a Cleric, but this group seems pretty light on healing options. You could get around that a bit by prestiging into War Weaver from Bard. It would be a hit to bardic music and knowledge, but could give buffs and/or cure spells a little more oomph if you found it necessary for the group as you get to those levels, and wouldn't be a decision you have to make immediately.
    If something I've said can be construed in more than one way, there's a better than average chance that I meant it in the least offensive of the options.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I personally disagree with the masses. While I DO agree a party buffer would see a great return, you may not want to be the second string to someone else's hero. With large party's, I always felt its best to specialize. Be the party's Wiz/Arcainist/Sorcerer and cover arcane. If you go Soc, you can also be the face, you can even do wizard, and use a couple of traits to switch from CHR to INT for social skills. Pick a role you LIKE playing, and focus on doing it well. With your stats, you can afford to buff a dump stat and occupy a role not normally covered.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PacMan2247 View Post
    If for some reason you don't want to go with Bard or Skald (which are both really great options), but still want to provide bonuses to the party on a large scale, you could consider Marshal or Dragon Shaman (but they're both likely to be significantly less effective).
    Considering that this is a PF game - no he couldn't.

18. - Top - End - #18

I am seeing the lack of a true face for the party, but never really cared for the bard they always felt lackluster to me. I have been considering a wizard but with those stats I feel its a waste. A rogue is just one more guy in combat to slow us down, and not that impressive anyways.

looking at races and I talked with the DM he will waive the wildshape prereq from natural spell if I go kitsune with fox shape. so then it breaks down to what caster class. looking at various options I can go int or cha based with a racial ability score swap through keen kitsune.

If it is on the D20PFSRD it is fair game for now but he is thinking of disallowing 3rd party because someone has been breaking the game with it but it is not officially off the table yet. thinking real hard about a kitsune witch as i found an archetype that swaps out the normal familiar for a familiar that can change into a stone and then act like the best of both worlds for an arcane bond but can't seem to find it at the moment.

Arcanist might be a good fit since I have multiple high stats, cha and int can be high without issues, and they get the better spell list. then again a wizard with 20 int and 22 dex in a tiny fox form can make a really decent sneak (18 stealth if I get it class through skulker trait) and gets the higher level spells, disguise self through the tail with nine-tailed inheritor means I should be able to change into ANY tiny animal.

SEE HOW TORN I AM!! so frustrating to have such good rolls, not used to it.
    Iron chef accomplishments
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in
    Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods

Awesome avatar by Linklele! - currently seeking new avatar!

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by arkangel111 View Post
    If it is on the D20PFSRD it is fair game for now but he is thinking of disallowing 3rd party because someone has been breaking the game with it but it is not officially off the table yet.
    3PP might it make easier to break the game, but Paizo-only has also some options. Take wizard with both the Exploiter archetype (that makes a wizard into an arcanist) and in addition the Pact wizard archetype (add witch patron spell list and other shenanigans, plus blackened curse - you aint a frontliner anyway) and the Sacred Geometry metamagic (it has been proven that at 14 ranks you already succeed automatically, in addition, if you keep to lower level spells, starting at 7 ranks the chance to succeed is decent).

A more balanced magic system is the 3PP Spheres of Power, which rewards thematic specialization. That means a more focused sorcerer, which has a lot of at-will powers. There is an arcanist conversion, which allows to change the loadout day-by-day, but that is paid for with a limited amount of magic talents (kinda spells) usable at once. A less fluid but still powerful version would be a spiritualist hedgewitch, which is basically build-your-own-class class and has a chassis more like a bard. The spiritualist tradition allows you temporary access to unknown magic talents, so if you are in a bind, you can take the right talent at the right time. True, it is less powerful than core magic, but being less constrained by spell slots and how many spells I place in them is great. If you don't care for that, then take my other suggestion.

An aside about 3PP: Some 3PP provides options which aren't available in 1PP. Those options aren't necessarily broken, but they can shift the game balance. Path of War is problematic in this regard, because 1PP martials usually are Tier 5 material, so Tier 3 martials will marginalize those characters. Spheres of Power can have a similar effect, if the 1PP caster isn't build effectively and in mind to be more flexible, as SoP makes characters in their niche powerful. So if using balanced 3PP causes a problem, then it is more likely to put the spotlight on a weak character than being actually overpowered. That effect can be achieved with high-OP 1PP, too, but since good 3PP makes it easy to build effective characters, it gets the blame instead.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

20. - Top - End - #20

Off the top of my head; (and if it was me)

Magus

Combat reflexes + bodyguard for feats.

One handed reach weapon, a quickdraw shield, throwing weapons of various metals and one short sword.

Spells would largely be area of effect spells. All the better if attack rolls are unneeded.

----------

To me this is optimized; most will disagree. While in the back you will be the heaviest thing around and with the power to preserve the other casters for frontliners to get back. While in the front your squishy by comparison but with a reach weapon you should know where to place yourself to be helpful.

Spells being area of effect is important; with eight people your going to need to be crowd control. You will notice both a 'quickdraw' shield and a lack of shield proficiency which is intentional. The shield only needs to be in your hands when defending and worse case scenario all your weapons should be one handed. With bodyguard feat you can aid another to improve AC (with or without shield) as a free action so you can still cast.

Don't be afraid to share your throwing weapons with the others. They don't even need to be thrown; a silver javelin makes a fine short spear and is likely better than most of the parties gear vs werewolves.

In short; use AoO for buffing, use spells on crowds, protect those around you and save weapons for important battles.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Wasum View Post
    Eight. Players.
    Your point? I run summons faster than most people can select what their character does. And with 8 players, you need to put something between your allies and hordes.
    How about illusions then? You can do well with battlefield control... grab some illusion spells to hide the party, maybe a few support spells like web or wall of stone, throw in a destructive spell or two...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Considering the stats you rolled Bard would probably be the strongest option, probably going for an Archer style and I'd go Human

Str-16
    Dex-20 (18+2)
    Con-16
    Int-15
    Wis-10
    Cha-16

Feats: Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot.
    First round start your performance and then start unloading pain on your opponents with your bow.
    Bards are kind of MAD, but with your stats you can also fight decently in melee as well, plenty of skill ranks and the bard's good spellcasting, alongside with good AC and a good amount of HP.

I don't see why bards should be lackluster, they've got one of the strongest area buff in the game and considering your party setup inspire courage would be really huge.

An Evangelist Cleric could be really good as well now that I think about it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MindTheGap97 View Post
    I don't see why bards should be lackluster, they've got one of the strongest area buff in the game and considering your party setup inspire courage would be really huge.
    Not to mention Good Hope.

If you REALLY don't want to spellcast though, you could play a Drunken Master Sensei Monk - plus it fits the Orient themed world.

They get Inspire Courage, and at level 6 you can start giving your Ki buffs to others (starting with booze powered Barkskin for everyone!). At 10 you can do crazy stuff like spend your Standard to give everyone True Strike every turn! :P (just convince a couple people to take a maneuverer feat and watch the craziness)

But really - while I like the class/archetype combo, one of its major strengths is how SAD (hits with Wisdom) it is, and with those stats that's pretty unnecessary.
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2017-09-19 at 08:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

If I may present two options that haven't been mentioned:

The Mesmerist is also an excellent face if Bard's not to your liking. They're significantly more focused on debuffs (team up with the Witch to neuter your foes!), but have condition-removal and also buffs in the form of their Tricks. They love frontliners as well, which you have many of.

For a more support-oriented character, an archer Oradin would be a boon to this party. You'll need a level of Oracle for each frontliner, but in exchange you heal them passively all while actually doing things on your turn.

25. - Top - End - #25

Since apparently 3pp is in, tactician or vitalist, kings of large team shenanigans. Tacticians are all about strategy and positioning and coordination, vitalists can basically turn the whole party into one giant health pool while stealing life from enemies. Both have a lot of the standard buff options that a bard has as well.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Does PF have a Marshal equivalent? Aura boosts are awesome in such a large group.

27. - Top - End - #27

BardGuy

I'm not especially familiar with Pathfinder's classes, but just for the sake of making a recommendation other than bard I'll suggest an Oracle. It's a charisma-based class which, though not as skill-oriented as the bard, may make a half-decent face character. Taking the legalistic curse will give you bonuses to some social skills starting at level 5, plus to the ability to make a promise once per day to gain a +4 morale bonus to a roll starting from level 1.
    In addition, it has full 9-level spell progression. The druid and witch are both capable of casting healing spells, but both are prepared casters and neither are able to cast healing spells spontaneously - plus, we know their classes, but we don't know whether either of them is planning on healing at all. Considering the size of your group, having a couple of Cure spells on your list will take a lot less pressure off of them to keep the rest of the party standing.
    A bard could serve the same purpose, but not nearly as well considering their 6-level spell progression.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MindTheGap97 View Post

Power and fun2play are not the same thing. Inspire Courage for an army of friends may win fights, but after the first round you spend the whole fight saying "don't forget your bardsong bonus" and "ooh, it's my turn. Shortbow attack for 1d6. Next."

I love it when someone else in my group plays a bard, but I'll never pick it.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by exelsisxax View Post
    Since apparently 3pp is in, tactician or vitalist, kings of large team shenanigans. Tacticians are all about strategy and positioning and coordination, vitalists can basically turn the whole party into one giant health pool while stealing life from enemies. Both have a lot of the standard buff options that a bard has as well.
    This.

And if you'd like to have a bit more combat power yourself, I'd also have a look at being a Golden Lion and Tempest Gale focused ranged warlord (perhaps with the privateer class template if using guns), zealot and/or rubato bard. These also go very well with firearms, and you can for example start with 3 levels of myrmidon trench fighter for extra maneuvers, grit/deeds and Dex to firearm damage, and can also be combined with arcane casting or psionic manifesting via multiclassing (for example with non-rubato bard, wilder or sorcerer, plus maybe the bladecaster or awakened blade PrC). Tons of possibilities! I suggest you check out the class guides before you build an initiator though, since it can get a bit overwhelming the first time (especially unless you're already familiar with the ToB from 3.5).

30. - Top - End - #30

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    Power and fun2play are not the same thing. Inspire Courage for an army of friends may win fights, but after the first round you spend the whole fight saying "don't forget your bardsong bonus" and "ooh, it's my turn. Shortbow attack for 1d6. Next."

I love it when someone else in my group plays a bard, but I'll never pick it.
    Yeah, bards aren't especially exciting as far as combat goes. They tend to make better social characters than anyone else, though, which makes all the difference when it comes to determining whether you're playing a role-playing game and a roll-playing game.