New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Have you heard of the time cube?

So I recently stumbled on an old theory that the earth isn't flat, or round, but is in fact a cube. The guy who came up with this had a website in 1997 called timecube.com but it has since expired. Fortunately, or unfortunately, somebody preserved his crazy theories here. Anyway, pretty crazy conspiracy theory huh? What do you guys think?

Edit: warning, the theories presented are shockingly offensive to nearly everyone with an opinion so click at your own risk
    Last edited by TheManicMonocle; 2017-09-18 at 05:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Have you heard of the time cube?

O that it were only harmless nonsense. Alas, it is shockingly racist, sexist, anti-LGBT, anti-neurodiversity, anti-semitic nonsense. I feel sorry for its late author; it reads like the product of a mind in the throes of Alzheimer's disease and confabulating. Give it a miss.
    There are bad times just around the corner,
    There are dark clouds hurtling through the sky, tiddley-pom!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Hazyshade View Post
    O that it were only harmless nonsense. Alas, it is shockingly racist, sexist, anti-LGBT, anti-neurodiversity, anti-semitic nonsense. I feel sorry for its late author; it reads like the product of a mind in the throes of Alzheimer's disease and confabulating. Give it a miss.
    Yeah good point, I've edited in a warning
    "A necromancer is just a really late healer."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Time Cube is hilarious, well worth a (partial) read. You'll get the gist of it after a bit (it's SUUUUUUUUUPER long), but it's good for a chuckle or two.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd agree that it was racist/sexist/whatever, if it was actually understandable, but it is so poorly written that only the Author themselves could probably understand that gibberish. I spent the last 5 minutes trying to decipher the first dozen or so paragraphs and gave up on it. It's not even funny, because again, it's gibberish.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazyshade View Post
    He also claimed to have been diagnosed with schizophrenia in an attempt to silence him, so he probably also had untreated schizophrenia. I have to agree with you both that it's dangerous nonsense and that it can't have been pleasant to be the guy who wrote it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I can't make heads or tails of this.

This is perfect, I'm going to use this on "Atoms consist of spaceships" Harrie Christ, the self-professed reincarnation of Hitler, prophet of the true gods who floated through the air out of his bed on the morning of his revelatios, who still spews basically this across a forum we both frequent.

And since I always expect that kind of people to sooner or later google themselves in a lot of detail: Hi Harrie, this is what I'm called over here!

But yeah, this time cube thing looks a lot like schizophrenia. As it's 20 years old and no longer actively preached there's also a good chance the author is dead by now, whether it be of suicide, other medical issues or simply age. Schizophrenia often turns up at a young age, but if left completely untreated this is probably what it often looks like some decades down the road. These web pages are often not the first attempt people make at communicating their " theories", I wouldn't be surprised if there is 20 years worth of newspaper ads that can be traced back to the same author.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2017-09-19 at 09:07 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    But yeah, this time cube thing looks a lot like schizophrenia. As it's 20 years old and no longer actively preached there's also a good chance the author is dead by now, whether it be of suicide, other medical issues or simply age. Schizophrenia often turns up at a young age, but if left completely untreated this is probably what it often looks like some decades down the road. These web pages are often not the first attempt people make at communicating their " theories", I wouldn't be surprised if there is 20 years worth of newspaper ads that can be traced back to the same author.
    Yeah, according to Wikipedia, the author died a couple years. He was 87, so it probably could have just been old age.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

87? I'm fairly impressed now that he wrote a web page when he was about 70 years old. And this was a new thing, to by far most people, so he learned to do it at that age.

He might have been on to something, if he was smart enough to do that.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2017-09-19 at 10:11 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Nemirthel View Post
    He also claimed to have been diagnosed with schizophrenia in an attempt to silence him, so he probably also had untreated schizophrenia. I have to agree with you both that it's dangerous nonsense and that it can't have been pleasant to be the guy who wrote it.
    Now that you mention it, I wonder if this website could be used for a case study on schizophrenia

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, heard of it while perusing various crank sites (it's a bit like going to a zoo). Sadly disappointing. Most people who are similarly wrong at least have an interesting way you can watch the logic flap and die like a fish out of water, but that site, for all it's length, doesn't seem to even really make an argument in his favor, instead deciding to assert that he's right, then spend several thousand words insulting everybody. Only real 'argument' I can find is unrelated 'people have bellybuttons, therefore, we're born, not directly created by god', which would only be relevant if you believed god was still creating everyone ex nihilo today (something I've met nobody ever say).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

87? I'm fairly impressed now that he wrote a web page when he was about 70 years old. And this was a new thing, to by far most people, so he learned to do it at that age.

He might have been on to something, if he was smart enough to do that.
    I'd be a little more impressed if the website had any actual formatting at all.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

This guy really doesn't understand time zones.
    Spoiler: things in which I used to be involved before i was claimed by the great pestilence of exams
    Show
    The One Sane Drow (Vergil: Drow Sorcerer 5, CN)
    The Uprise (IC/OOC) (Ker'anson: Drow Arcane Spellcaster 4, NE)

Running Total Of Things I've Critically Hit That Jormengand Didn't Want Me To Critically Hit: 3

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if you remove all the conspiracy theory and general lash-outs, he does have a fairly interesting concept for a fantasy world where everything has a counterpart and singularity doesn't exist. That said, the idea that simply because nothing is 1, it has to be 4 is a bit harder to motivate...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Well, if you remove all the conspiracy theory and general lash-outs,
    Then it would be barely a few sentences long.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Well, if you remove all the conspiracy theory and general lash-outs, he does have a fairly interesting concept for a fantasy world where everything has a counterpart and singularity doesn't exist. That said, the idea that simply because nothing is 1, it has to be 4 is a bit harder to motivate...
    yeah, plus his idea that this is a conspiracy fails due to the usual reasons that conspiracy theories are untenable, mainly that too many people would need to know about it; every pilot in the world would have to know for starters.
    Last edited by TheManicMonocle; 2017-09-19 at 01:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fadal View Post
    I'd be a little more impressed if the website had any actual formatting at all.
    Or proper sentences.

But hey, he managed to register a domain...

Quote Originally Posted by TheManicMonocle View Post
    yeah, plus his idea that this is a conspiracy fails due to the usual reasons that conspiracy theories are untenable, mainly that too many people would need to know about it; every pilot in the world would have to know for starters.
    I'm not sure if he actually means the world is a cube. I think it's more something like "spiritually you can live four days at ones but religion and science keep peoples brain locked in only one."

As I said, I can't make heads or tails of it, but it doesn't seem like your standard flat earth conspiracy stuff. This guy could see what he meant, by the looks of it, he just couldn't describe it. Also, like with most dreams, his visions probably felt a lot more real when he saw them than they would if you'd try to think about them.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I have unfortunately heard about this before, as it was something of a fad meme among my high school friends. It's really just a lot of nonsense, and any value that it has is comedic, though I'd imagine that that wears thin after the first 10 pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm not sure if he actually means the world is a cube. I think it's more something like "spiritually you can live four days at ones but religion and science keep peoples brain locked in only one."

As I said, I can't make heads or tails of it, but it doesn't seem like your standard flat earth conspiracy stuff. This guy could see what he meant, by the looks of it, he just couldn't describe it. Also, like with most dreams, his visions probably felt a lot more real when he saw them than they would if you'd try to think about them.
    I think he honestly never understood time zones and simultaneity, and couldn't fathom the possibility of being wrong.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I think he honestly never understood time zones and simultaneity, and couldn't fathom the possibility of being wrong.
    The last is a far too common affliction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Only skimmed the first page, but whatever this guy was smoking I want some.
    Not for myself, for others. Spouting crazy stuff myself is no fun.Also I don't need drugs for that...

But there's one thing that interests me:
    The author compares the real world to the Matrix.
    Does that mean adopting his worldview enables me to do those crazy stunts?
    Because that would be interesting.

On the other hand, four simultaneous days would mean I'd have to do four times the work I do now, wouldn't it?
    So, no thanks.

Also there's this:
    „-1×-1=-1”
    Okay, so he was just cranky he failed math.
    Explains a thing or two.

Either that or I don't understand it cause I'm missing three brains, or whatever the text was about.

But I believe that the hemispheres rotate in opposite directions.
    Why else would I feel so crushed every morning.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-09-23 at 04:58 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

22. - Top - End - #22

I... literally cannot understand this alphabet soup.
    He starts off claiming the idea that there's only one day on Earth is wrong... I think? I can only get that from the context of this discussion.

Then, something about bellybuttons, therefore no creationism. Then... advocating murder of anyone who disagrees with him(!), and then something about a cover-up where adults cannibalized teenagers?
    At that point I'd had enough. Did I understand that correctly, or...?

I must say, though, that was among the least frustrating conspiracy theories I've ever read. Usually their fanatical claims to the one shred of evidence that supports them, while ignoring the mountains that discredit their theory, drive me insane. Apparently if you take away the arguments, it becomes less irritating to me.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    I must say, though, that was among the least frustrating conspiracy theories I've ever read. Usually their fanatical claims to the one shred of evidence that supports them, while ignoring the mountains that discredit their theory, drive me insane. Apparently if you take away the arguments, it becomes less irritating to me.
    Maybe it's because he's so incredibly mind-bendingly obviously wrong that even extreme conspiracy theorists think he's nuts, so he truly is a lone fanatic and there's no movement to try to debunk before it gets too many converts.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheManicMonocle View Post
    Ah yes, what's always annoying is how people tend to just ignore you when you point out this problem.

It's almost as annoying as flat earth believers ignoring the cat problem.

Also, huh? I think I'm supposed to read this, but I don't think the author even understands cubes (8 corners [vertices? I remember being told they had a special name for 3D shapes], 6 faces, yet he goes on about 4 corners and in one case 16 corners).

It's fascinating in the way it's bizarre, but at the same time it's thoroughly unreadable. I can't even work out what the point is supposed to be, time zones? religion? adults are evil?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ah yes, what's always annoying is how people tend to just ignore you when you point out this problem.

It's almost as annoying as flat earth believers ignoring the cat problem.
    The … cat problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    The … cat problem?
    A quick google suggests that "the cat problem" is "if the world was flat, the cats would've already batted every loose object off the edge". It presumably refers to this and similar memes:

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-09-25 at 02:51 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    The … cat problem?
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Perhaps a more serious version could be "why haven't the oceans drained over the edge yet?"
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Perhaps a more serious version could be "why haven't the oceans drained over the edge yet?"
    Rain, clearly.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    We didn't resort to the cat argument until they 'debunked' all the actual ones.

Plus the ice wall solves that one.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.