The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

Dry Patroclus shoots Erica a frustrated look. Wet Patroclus shoots her a grateful one.

"What? No, I'm the real one--or, well, yes, we're both real, but I'm the right one for... for now!" Both Patrocluses speak again as one, glaring at each other in mounting annoyance as they continue to speak the same words. On the other side of the two from Erica, Dawnlight rises out of the water, holding a beam of pure sunlight in her hands and looking between the two Patrocluses. Marius and Lucy are standing prudently back from the fight; they have placed themselves between the two identical mages and the door into the rest of the complex. Doireann concenrtrates for a moment, and a thin stream of water floats up from the pool, depositing Erica's glasses into her hands. She hesitates for a moment, then begins to walk in a wide circle around the confrontation, aiming to circle around towards Erica.

Of course, Erica doesn't see any of this clearly; it is all just a mass of colors and shapes to her for the most part.

"He's the one who's going to vanish," Wet Patroclus declares, pointing at Dry Patroclus. "While he's here, he's stronger than I am, but that'll end soon. I just needed him stopped, so thank--"

"He's wrong, or lying," Dry Patroclus cuts in abruptly, glaring at Wet Patroclus like he's an idiot. "Neither of us are going to vanish; it'd be better if we did. Right now, he's weaker than me; I don't like it, but I have to kill him now, or that 'time bomb' won't be so metaphorical."

"Rooks and ruin, I really thought you were just a different version of me; I didn't think I was this cold-blooded," Wet Patroclus says, sobering.

"You aren't me; if we wait too long, we'll all find that out;" Dry Patroclus says grimly. He glances over at Erica sidelong. "I can't beat all of you in a fight, and I might not be able to hammer through your defenses... but I have to try or it'll be worse for everyone. So unless you can figure out a way to stop the magic Rupert can see swirling all around us, I'm going to kill my double... again."

The entire time the two Patrocluses are talking, Donald is dashing between the two like a particularly avid contestant at a sporting match, watching with an eager grin as events unfold.

Spoiler: Perception DC 15
    Show
    While the two Patrocluses are talking, an odd change comes over Tsubaki and Manus. Tsubaki, after the initial excitement, seems to slump slightly in disappointment. She is still staring at Dry Patroclus, however, as though she's anticipating something.

On the other hand, Manus has grown more and more tense. He has also shifted slightly, turning towards Wet Patroclus and staring at him with intense concentration.

Spoiler: Insight DC 20
    Show
    Tsubaki fully believes Wet Patroclus' words. She's now just waiting to see how Dry Patroclus vanishes.

Manus, however, fully believes Dry Patroclus. He's maneuvering to find a place to aid Dry Patroclus if he decides to attack Wet Patroclus.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Erica sent a wordless expression of thanks to her brother as he passed her glasses to her from Doireann. She touched them to her helmet and they kinda melded with it. Now she could see, both what was actually going on around her and, perhaps more importantly, the magic going on around Patroclus.

She faced Dry Patroclus directly. "You will fail, and the time you waste making the attempt will be time that we don't get to dedicate to solving the problem," Erica replied simply. "I'm not seeing any destructive forces in the magic on you, and I can't rule out that all that will happen if it triggers is a failsafe that ends the effect. And even if not, since we're dealing with time magic, I have no reason to believe that a dead temporally-displaced body will be any less likely to trigger a paradox than a living one."

She sheathed her weapon and held out a hand to each of them. "Alternately, you let me teleport us back to your dorm. I will analyze whatever it was that you used to produce the effect and see if I can glean more information from it, maybe even a way to end it safely. Failing that, you two will explain what exactly you believed the magic would do, and we'll go from there." To Dry Patroclus, she added, "I would prefer for both of you to be conscious for this since any differences in your accounts could be important clues, but if you're going to be stubborn we can do it the other way."

Spoiler: Insight DC 20, or Roy
    Show
    You can tell that Erica is quite a bit less confident in her assessment than she's projecting. While her plan has merit, a big part of the reason she's suggesting it is that it gets the Patrocli away from everyone else, so if she's wrong and something catastrophic does happen nobody else will be in danger.

Spoiler: Expertise (Tactics) DC 15 for anyone who has reasonably detailed knowledge of Roy's powers
    Show
    It is also obvious that Roy's communication gems would be extremely useful in facilitating a detailed discussion of the spell, and while he could probably use physical contact to create the necessary connection if he were present, without some sort of connection he wouldn't be able to do it at a distance. It is unlikely that this fact has slipped Erica's mind; she's intentionally not bringing it up because she doesn't want to give her brother a reason to put himself in harm's way as well.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Rupert laughed, though without any trace of mirth. "Listen to yourself. Scared. Weak. Pathetic. Two halves, so absorbed in fighting each other that they don't notice they're destroying the whole."

"But she can help you."
    he then said, his voice a whisper all of a sudden - and yet, still clearly audible. "You cannot solve this alone. Let her help. You will be saved."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Deception (1d20+18)[28] to instill doubt about their own methods in the Patrocli and tempt them into accepting Erica's help.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground

Roy activates his suit's projected arms and relieves Doireann of his sister's glasses (with a "Thank you" emitting from the transparent hand). He considers Erica's suggestion with a nod and moves closer to her. "And I'll tag along, too," he says. "My communication crystals work at upwards of one hundred times baseline, and time is of the essence."

~"Also, any thoughts on me ringing up a teacher or two?"~ he thinks to Erica silently, his mental voice conveying a knowing apology. ~"I've got Overgrow and Glory's hairs as foci, and they could get Professor Renatus--he'd probably be able to pitch in here."~

Spoiler
    Show
    Roy auto-passes the nested Tactics check even on a 1, which is why I didn't bother to roll it.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Doireann nods her thanks as Roy grabs Erica's glasses, then continues watching the showdown.

For a long moment, Dry Patroclus stands rigid, his hand clenching and unclenching on his staff. Finally, he gives a terse nod. "Fine. We're almost out of time anyways; an isolated area would be better for this."

"Wait, what?" Wet Patroclus sputters, surprised. Dry Patroclus gives him a flat look. "We-we can't just teleport inside--Ediz would probably attack if our minds appeared in the building--"

Which is why we'll need to teleport to just outside the dorm," Patroclus explains, cutting Wet Patroclus off. "I don't want to spend all night fixing the dorm again, anyways."

"The End Dorm, huh?" Donald comments, giving a theatrical stretch. "I'll do a few laps of Hope and still beat you there," he boasts, disappearing in a gust of wind almost before his last word.

Manus suddenly pushes forward, staring at Erica. "Bring me along. Even you'll need the help." Behind him, Tsubaki grins slyly, stepping into a nearby shadow. Around the pool there are various grumbles, stretches, and shifts in energy; it looks like the pool party is all set to follow after the interesting event that fell in their midst.

Spoiler: Will DC 20
    Show
    A small, colorless voice speaks from the pool. "I'm... I remember me. I remember me, but you... what's going on?

Erica's enhanced vision, Rupert's nose for magic, and Roy's finely-tuned instincts all tell them the same thing: the countdown is nearing its end. Whatever's going to happen is going to happen soon.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Good."

Rupert floated down to the floor, ready to follow the others to the End Dorm (he didn't even know where it was, after all), but then turned towards the pool again.

"What do you me-...huh? Who? Er..."

If not for the situation, seeing a demon acting confused might have been somewhat comical. He cleared his throat to cover it up a bit.

"What do you mean you don't remember me?" he then asked to...to who, again? Well, to whoever it was that spoke, anyway.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Behind her helmet, Erica grimaced when her brother offered to come with, with a rationale that she couldn't just wave off. Most of the others seemed similarly inclined, but fortunately, Erica did have a valid reason not to bring them along. Although as Donald quickly proved, that didn't necessarily mean keeping them away.

To Roy, she answered, ~I mean, can't hurt to try? I don't...really want to get them in trouble or anything, but I think we might be a bit beyond that concern at this point.~

Outwardly, she said, "I can't teleport all of us, and honestly anything else we discuss is probably going to have to be telepathic for the sake of speed if nothing else. It probably makes more sense for everyone else to stay here." Erica didn't have much of a poker face, helmet notwithstanding, but maybe they'd take her words at face-value! Regardless, if there were objections, she'd get to put off dealing with them until later, because after that she gripped her brother's hand and teleported the two of them and the two Patrocli to the End Dorm.

She could see that they were running out of time. "Okay, Roy, see if you can link them up with us. Once he does, I need you both to tell me exactly what you did, what you understand the results to be...basically everything you know about the magic at work." She approached the dorm as she gave those orders, to knock on the door. Evidently they thought Ediz would attack them if they teleported in, but hopefully she could explain the situation. Or make a deal with him or something. Being able to examine whatever they had been working on would help.

Spoiler
    Show
    Extended Teleport us to outside the End Dorm. I've got Increased Mass 4 so the Roy and the two Patrocli should be within my capacity easy enough. Technically yeah she probably could have brought one or maybe two more people, but eh. Trying to protect people.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide