The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 432
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Erica

    "Works for me," Patroclus replies with a shrug, looking over the runes in more detail. "Proxy's specialty is inscribed spells, so if we manage a good incantation with her handpicked runes it'll hopefully impress her.

    "As for your suggestion,"
    he continues, lowering his voice to match yours, "I'd be up for another group team-up--one where I actually get to do something--and I bet Aggio would be too, especially if you propose it to her like a trick or a game. Manus won't agree right away--he's got too much of a grudge against the Bergs--but I think we might be able to talk him around. Be careful if you talk about this to Sharma, though. If you ask him for help, he'll want something 'of equal value' in return. The kids wired oddly--it won't matter to him that the plan itself benefits him; since you're asking, he'd consider you in his debt until you repaid him. Best thing is to convince him that asking you to team up was his idea; that way, he'll suggest it and then owe you a favor later."

    Patroclus pulls the sheet of paper towards him slightly. "All right, so we've got all the basic element runes, with variations, runes for locomotion, binding, unbinding..."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Make an Expertise: Magic check for constructing a proper spell, with a +5 for convincing Patroclus to help.


    Serhe

    "So you haven't pushed yourself to your limit since you were younger?" Albert asks in a tone that makes it difficult to tell if it is intended as a joke or not. "Good instincts, going by what you know about me rather than basing my powers entirely around my appearance; I am in fact classified as an Enhancer according to the power classifications of the World Council." He smiles slyly. "That fits me about as well as it does you.

    "In any case, with powers like yours most training is going to be about straining your limits until you can push past them,"
    Albert continues, beginning to pack up the weightlifting supplies. "Your power will be most useful the less people know about it, so upping your ability to obfuscate your skills will be on our list too. Tomorrow we can try a walking tour of the school, and we'll see how many people we can embarrass and get away with." He flashes you another quick grin. "I already have the reputation, after all, so at least some of it will get blamed on me."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Make a Nullify Check (All-Out Power Attacking is allowed) for using your power multiple times over the week. Roll a Stealth Check as well: DC 15 or above gives you +2 to the Nullify, DC 25 or above bumps that up to +5.


    Roy

    Boulos looks up from her contraption, the disparate parts having now morphed into a long, sinuous shape shaped more or less like a gun's barrel, with several curving ends sprouting symmetrically from the muzzle and surmounted by bulbous half-circles of curved glass. "Project was scrapped too early; varied attempts weren't made." She studies your actions for a long moment, her face hidden behind her gear, her tone just as difficult to decipher.

    Finally, she turns back to the device in her hands, almost absentmindedly threading the half-circles together with wisp-thin threads of glass pulled away from a discarded square pane. "The mind-strain issue? Possible. Would suggest starting small: joint control of doll or smaller-than-human golem, then build from there. Connection issue; check with Proxy for possible solution. Be careful; otherwise, may end up like Proxy." She continues to thread the half-circles together and back into the muzzle of the gun, creating a fragile-seeming lattice of glass and metal. "Design specifications? Or idle considerations?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Make a Technology Check to build your design for the end of the week, with a +2 bonus for attracting Boulos' attention with how the design could be used practically.


    FRIDAY

    Afternoon

    The first official week had flown by.

    The morning classes with Renatus had been odd without the low tension of an attack on the horizon, though the teacher had gleefully reminded everyone that they only had two months to wait before coming after him again. Monday, Wednesday, and earlier on Friday, you had worked with your individual teachers on your individual projects; Tuesday and Thursday had been spent in obstacle course after obstacle course, working on team cohesion and group movement. All in all, it had been a whirlwind week, and each night had carried with it enough combined homework and exhaustion that you hadn't been able to do much else.

    The four of you are sitting in the classroom for Heroic Ethics, along with the rest of your class. The mood is restless; all of you had found out that morning that you were going to be shadowing a professional Cell tomorrow for the first time, and many of your classmates seemed to be ready for the day to be over so that Saturday will come even sooner. The empty podium at the front of the class only compounds the restless buzz in the room; class was supposed to begin five minutes before, and yet Glory was yet to arrive.

    Finally, the doors swing open, and Glory enters the room. The chatter immediately stops, quelled by the mere presence of the famous Hero.

    Disdaining the podium, Glory walks to the front of the small upraised stage in the center of the room, his large smile beaming over the twenty newest students of Hope Academy. His presence is awe-inspiring in a way that is welcoming rather than intimidating; instead of being nearly ten minutes late, Glory seems to have arrived precisely on time, his smile filling the students with his approval that you all arrived early to his class. "Congratulations on finishing your second week at Hope Academy." Glory's voice booms, once more filling the room with no need of amplification. "By now, all of you have begun to grow more used to your powers, as well as how they will be used in a team. However, knowing how to use your powers effectively is not the same thing as knowing how to use them well. That is what this class is for.

    "First Question: What is the difference between a Hero and a vigilante?"


    Spoiler: Expertise: Superheroes or Villains DC 15
    Show
    In a legal sense, a vigilante is a person who actively fights Villains and places themselves in harms way without either the express intention to avert a clear and present danger to civilians or a completed three-year training and certification from one of the Hero Academies.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Thokk_Smash's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy continues to knead the stuffing until it is practically elastic. It practically glows with his Enhancement energies, and when he raps on it with his knuckles he hears a satisfying, dull thunk.

    "Thank you for the suggestion, Professor," he says to her advice of using a smaller golem. Over the week his project begins to solidify: a ramshackle mishmash of wood, metals, glass, foam in the vague shape of a hollow humanoid. It's a suit of rough powered armor, though unique in one aspect: it has no Flux crystals to power it. Its energy comes solely from Roy's own Enhancement, augmented and contained within the natural curvatures and connections of the various materials. "I rather like my own personality." A grin at that.

    "As for the seriousness of my and my sister's considerations..." Inbetween his frenetic movements of building Roy takes out several schematics and lays them on a table near Boulos' station. "I know that a big problem with previous attempts was the amount of Flux crystal needed to make it even move made it float like a balloon. It may look like our schematics feature designs that lack enough Flux crystal to even support its weight. Well, my sister and I have a little trick up our sleeves..."

    When his "powered" armor is finished, Boulos will find that it is an incredibly-defensive item: it almost entirely masks the wearer's true position. Through a mixture of mirage-creation, image distortion, and mild super-speed movements of the armor, enemies are unable to definitively pin down the wearer for a clean hit. Of course, once a hit does land, the armor is sure to be critically damaged--but if one such as Roy chooses to play it defensively? They could make the opponent work for that one hit.

    On Friday...

    Roy considers Glory's question. There's a bunch of layers to it. The differences can't really be defined in a pithy sentence. "A vigilante fights Villains, same as Heroes; but vigilantes either never finished an Academy's training or place more importance on stopping the Villain over protecting innocents. So, I guess, the difference is in how they view problem-solving."
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    To say the spell Erica put together was way beyond her personal power was disingenuous. Frankly, mere cantrips were a struggle for her when it came to casting directly. Now, placing it as an enchantment was a somewhat different story, but even so, this was absolutely beyond any enchantment she would actually try to create. It would have taken her almost a month of workdays without resorting to frankly ludicrous numbers of Flux crystals, and even then, it was unlikely she would have even been able to output enough energy to power the thing efficiently. As a work of runic syntax it was beyond reproach, and it used almost all of the runes provided - she was particularly pleased the complex variation of disassembling and unbinding runes combined with complex variations on earth and air runes to negate gravity. But it would take a lot of power to make it work. Fortunately, if her assessment of Patroclus was on the mark, he'd be able to provide it.

    And what would the spell do when cast? Simply, it would make a building fly. Without the use of Flux crystals. (While also preventing any structural damage - runes of earth and binding would keep the building itself together, and runes of unbinding written to block runes of destruction would allow it to slip free of its foundation without damaging it, to rebind once it landed).

    --

    Erica could admit, she was pretty excited about going out to shadow an established team. And, you know, yeah, she was fantasizing a bit. Yeah, of course, they were only just starting their training. She wasn't incognizant of the weight classes involved. But her Cell had proven to have a dominating presence in combat scenarios even among the class of Hope students, which were themselves a cut above average for sure. So she was imagining situations where something did come up and their Cell played a role in stopping it. Erica wasn't in it for the glory, but it's not like she was opposed to it either!

    Erica chimed in after Roy had answered, "I'd also add that Vigilantes are kind of inherently...selfish? Self-centered? Egocentric, maybe. They view their own judgment as more valid than society's. At best, they believe they should be operating in a heroic capacity when our systems and our laws are telling them explicitly otherwise. And some go even further, taking upon themselves decisions of right and wrong, even life and death, without regard to other considerations. This doesn't necessarily make them bad people or unable to do good work, but it means they only become part of the solution rather than part of the problem incidentally." Erica wouldn't say that society was perfect, by any means, but their social structures and defense systems had kept humanity alive and even to some degree thriving in a ludicrously dangerous world. She could understand the motivations that would drive someone to vigilantism, even sympathize with them to a degree. But she couldn't fully agree with them. There were better options.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    More that I've just gotten good at knowing when to stop. Oddly enough, bleeding from the eyes is a rather unpleasant experience, Serhe replies to the comment about pushing himself, trying to match his instructor's tone. Serhe's eyebrows do shoot up when his instructor mentions that his powers aren't quite Enhancer capabilities either, and mentally notes that Freak's Bane might be the better choice against his instructor. Serhe nodded along as Albert describes the rest of his training for the week.

    As they began the walking tour, Serhe mentally notes that he should make sure that his final suit covers his face, or at least his eyes. If he could obfuscate who he was looking at, even if somebody knew what his powers were that would limit their ability to use that fact against him. As they make their way through the school, Serhe does his best to slip through unnoticed. He never whammied somebody that could clearly see him, and tried to pick targets that always had his backs to him. As for who he went after, Serhe focused on, well, the most entertaining. People that were flying, people that were levitating fragile objects, really anyone that, if their powers were off, would either hurt themselves or their surroundings.

    Honestly, the hardest part for Serhe was holding in his laughter.

    Spoiler: Nullify
    Show
    All-Out Power Attack because that's all I do!
    Nullify: (1d20+15)[25]

    If I roll below an 13, I'll use a Luck: (1d20+15)[32]





    Friday

    As the instructors ask the question about vigilantes and heroes, Serhe's first thought wasn't the most intelligent. Vigilantes are the same as heroes, just with a way cooler name.

    Fortunately, Serhe had the good sense to keep his hand down, and let the Stonesmiths answer the question. After all, they were the smart ones on the team. Serhe does have the good sense to attempt to scribble down what Erica and Roy say, Enhancing himself to be able to write as fast as Erica was speaking. After all, now that they were actually in the Academy, it was a lot less likely that he'd be able to just cheat his way through all the exams.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM


    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy

    "Hmm. Espionage purposes? Fragile design; failsafe needed after destruction. Armor used as camouflage good for opening obfuscation, but loses utility in sustained combat." Over the week, you've discovered that Boulos is the kind of mentor who rarely offers praise; everything, including her own inventions, are subject to criticism and improvement. The best you can expect from her is a grudging acknowledgement that the invention has some use, followed by a quick assessment of its shortcomings.

    Erica

    Just before the class on Friday, Patroclus reread the spell once more, muttering the runic language under his breath as he did so. For a moment, the tall boy gets a little too absorbed in the wording, and you sense a sliver of Supernaturalist power slip out of him. You could swear that the floor trembles.

    Patroclus pauses and clears his throat. "Uh... maybe I shouldn't read this out loud in the school," he says slightly sheepishly.

    A few minutes later, Doctor Proxy looks over the neatly-printed spell, skimming through the pages with unnatural speed. If this is one of Proxy's much-vaunted dopplegangers, the spellwork is extraordinary; even with your visor on, you can detect only the smallest hint of Supernaturalist power around her person. "Well-crafted and efficient, though it's usefulness in standard Hero work is less obvious," she intones finally, looking over the both of you. "Belluomo could sustain this spell for approximately thirty seconds, correct?" Patroclus shrugs, nodding. "The Academy Sports Tournament is in Flux this year; while there, be sure to examine the newest structures being built in the Canopy. The spells built into the stone are a slight refinement to this spell."

    Serhe

    The advantage of touring the school with Brice Albert becomes immediately obvious, when a woman who you sent tumbling into a pool she had just moments before been walking over pulls herself out, spluttering and angry... only to sigh and shake her head as Albert smiles innocently at her. While your presence is generally noticed or acknowledged, the chaos that follows the two of you as you traverse the school is almost universally accepted to be the fault of your instructor, and is taken as simply a regular hazard of his presence. For his part, Brice simply explains the different places on campus, and smiles. Though there was that one moment where you were sure that you failed to block the power of an Enhancer using a helmet to answer a series of complicated questions, only for the helmet to be suddenly replaced by a fish...




    Heroic Ethics

    As your and a few other answers ring out, Glory smiles and nods. "Very good, very good! You are very nearly correct." He paces to the center of the stage. "Boiling it down to the simplest terms, the difference between Heroes and Vigilantes can be explained in six words:

    "Vigilantes fight Villains. Heroes save people."


    Glory begins pacing again, his baritone voice clear and powerful. "The primary purpose of the Heroes Guild, and therefore of every Hero, is the protection and advancement of humanity. Whether protecting city and island citizens from Villain and monster, patrolling the Savior Sea and protecting it from misuse and abuse, or advancing the borders of our world and seeking to eradicate its many threats, every Hero has this as their most important goal. Vigilantes, on the other hand, are often motivated by a desire for revenge against a specific Villain or a thirst for their own glory, and even those few that aspire to higher goals lack the training they need. The distinction can oftentimes seem like a fine one; in day to day life, the actions of a Hero and a vigilante can be functionally identical. However, when the worst happens, when it becomes important, there can be no greater difference."

    He pauses for a moment, his face solemn. "If you remember nothing else from your time at Hope Academy, I pray that you remember those six words. Remember them, strive to live by them, and no matter what your future holds you will be able to call yourself a Hero." After a long moment, the smile beams back out. "Of course, just because the difference is simple doesn't mean that it is easy to follow. Before you you have Teocawki: A Millenial History, which I am sure you are all familiar with from your earlier studies. I will attempt to keep us out of the book as much as possible, but it is a useful reference for discussing ethical choices in the past and building theoretical problems for the future. If you turn to page 463, you will find a brief summary of the Scorch-Entropy Accord..."




    SATURDAY

    "So, you're Annihilus' kid brother, right?" The tall, statuesque black-haired woman who went by the Hero name Manner asked, fixing Serhe with an interested grey-eyed gaze. "What things can you do with Flux crystals? Isn't that your family's trick?"

    "You'll have to forgive Manner," Renault Danton said with an indulgent smile at the Water and Aether Elementalist. The smile didn't quite reach his dark blue eyes, which were alert and quickly resumed scanning the surrounding area. "She gets a little gabby when she's bored, and she was never good at personal privacy."

    Connor, Serhe, Roy, and Erica are standing with the Prestige, Manner, Galgameth, and Earshot, the first Cell of Hope, on top of the wall over the city's northwest gate in the brittle, faint light of predawn. The four of you had been awoken earlier that morning and informed that the Cell you were shadowing had taken the first shift of the day that Saturday, from shortly before dawn to just after noon. Primarily, you would be touring the city as an extra set of eyes and ears, alerting the Cell to any signs of trouble you notice and watching as they handled the problem, and listening to any advice they decided to give in the meantime. As to why you were at the northern gate...

    "They're turning off Tropics Street now," Caelina Arke (Hero name Earshot) spoke up quietly, the short, unassuming woman identifiable as an Enhancer by the odd grey-blue shade of her natural hair color. "We should be able to see them in another minute. Nothing out of place so far."

    "Keep sharp regardless," the Prestige replies with another look at Manner. "The events around these two's capture were weird enough; no reason to get careless. Galgameth, how big are you getting today?"

    Ruarc Ebner, a tall, spindly man who seemed to be perpetually trapped in early adolescence, shrugged, brushing his black hair out of his face. "I'll fit in the streets, if it comes to that," he responds casually, though his odd red-gold eyes are as alert as the Cell leader's. "Still might cause some collateral damage if things get really rough, but I should be able to minimize it."

    The Cell falls silent as the prison convoy for Gauntlet and Greaves appears at the far end of the avenue.

    You had all been told of the move last night, shortly after Heroic Ethics had ended. As it was explained to you, Gauntlet and Greaves had been questioned regarding how they were able to enter the Academy testing grounds and remain undetected, and had proven unwilling to talk. Gauntlet proved easier to coerce than her brother, and that is when the authorities discovered something disturbing: Gauntlet and Greaves couldn't talk. Not about who had helped them enter the testing area, at least. The authorities were stumped as to why this was, until a lucky accident with a Supernaturalist-sensitive guard revealed it to them. Someone had inscribed a Master Rune of Binding on the tongues of Gauntlet and Greaves. The rune was made up of several other runes too small to decipher by the naked eye, immaculately drawn, and utterly inert until activated by the subject that the two seemed forbidden to talk about. The sensitive guard saw a flash of eldritch light from Gauntlet's mouth as she tried to talk about Hope Academy's Opening Exam, and a little more probing discovered the rune and the matching one in her brother's mouth.

    Now, the twins were being sent to Bridgehead. Bridgehead was home to the most adept rune-scribes in the Inner Ring; if anyone would be able to decipher and dismantle the enchantment placed upon Gauntlet and Greaves, it would be the researchers at Bridgehead Academy. By happy coincidence, Bridgehead was also the home of Gauntlet and Greaves' Hero parents; familial bonds had proven adept at combating restrictive enchantments before, and while the connection between Arthur and Edith Lantos and their parents was a twisted thing, there was hope that it may help their situation.

    The two captured Villains are being transported along the thoroughfare to the gate in an oblong stone block about the size of a small room, flanked on each side by a pair of stern-faced guards. A thick metal door at the front of the block is the only indication that it is hollow; the door is set with a mundane looking iron padlock as well as a collection of faintly shimmering runes. The block floats slightly above the ground, the glow of a moderately-sized flux crystal visible in the predawn gloom; every once in a while, one of the four guards moves behind the block and pushes it slightly forward, the special spell-woven gloves on their hands allowing them to pass through the glyphs on the movable prison and interact with the stone itself.

    For now, all is quiet.

    Spoiler: Serhe
    Show
    Due to Manners' earlier comment about Annihilus, you take a -2 on your rolls to pay attention to the environment for right now. Take a Hero Point for your Shadow of Greatness Complication.


    Spoiler: Roy (Enhanced Visor)
    Show
    Two of the guards are Transformers, as is Galgameth.

    Earshot's Enhancement is primarily auditory; she is able to ampilfy the air around her to transmit sound more effectively to her ears over long distances. She can also use this to turn any sound into a deafening wall of noise, funneling devastating sonic blasts directly into the ears of her opponents simply by snapping her fingers.


    Spoiler: Erica (Arcane Resonance)
    Show
    Manners is an Elementalist.

    The Prestige is a Supernaturalist specializing in illusion and abjuration, though he also seems to have devised a spell that allows him to pull particulates from the air and fashion them into small objects.


    Spoiler: Everyone
    Show
    I'm not going to tell you to roll for anything; roll what you think you should in your next IC post, and I'll give you any responses you might get in the OOC before I post in the IC again. (you can also roll in the OOC too, if you have anything specific you want to find out before you post).
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2018-03-20 at 11:16 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Erica had gotten up bright and early. Well, dark and early - honestly, she was excited enough that she had had some trouble getting to sleep the night before, and still sprang out of bed almost two hours before they had to leave - and (probably with Roy, unless he was doing something else) made a big breakfast for the team in preparation for their first outing with an established Cell of Heroes! And the first Cell of Hope City no less! Yeah, she was jazzed, and had spent the pre-dawn hours chattering away eagerly. She'd end up crashing shortly after dinner tonight, but that was a matter for bedtime! For now, she was way too excited to let a little thing like tiredness matter!

    She had, however, gotten all of her chattering out of her system before they left. While she was a bit starry-eyed upon meeting the Heroes, she otherwise kept it professional, albeit friendly. She happily made small talk, but didn't press for it, and she kept her head in the game.

    At the moment, she was doing two things. First, she was scanning the area for signs of magic, strange emotions...she even ran a bit of a quality-control check on the runes and spells on the transport, to make sure there hadn't been any sabotage. If she happened to spot anything of note, she alerted Roy, since he could examine it more clearly. Second, though, she was telepathically gaming out possible breakout or extraction scenarios with her brother, based on the terrain, what (little) they knew of the Crow, and what they could see of the supernatural and enhancement powers and effects on the guards, the transport, etc. Admittedly, the latter was kinda more for fun than anything, but it might give them ideas, and they could report any glaring security holes they came up with to the Heroes.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll give Roy a Team Check on any Perception roll he makes: (1d20+5)[10] (after +5 for Teamwork). Well +2 never hurt anyone

    I'm scanning with Arcane Resonance, primarily paying attention to A) making sure all the runes and stuff on the transport appear to be in working order and B) making sure there aren't any emotions in the area suggestive of planning a breakout. Her Detect Emotions is Analytical, which I think should help her glean some sense of intents behind them? In any event, those checks will be supported by Expertise (Magic) at (1d20+16)[18] and Insight at (1d20+12)[25] (add +3 if the face-to-face interaction bonus applies, this is kinda an edge case there).

    Finally, Expertise (Tactics) to game out possible escape/breakout scenarios. If Roy could Team Check this it'd be appreciated: (1d20+16)[28] (add +5 if Roy Team Checks since he can't fail to provide the max bonus). Any solid ideas we come up with can be reported to the others or used to further inform overwatch efforts.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-03-17 at 01:24 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Thokk_Smash's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Heroic Ethics

    Even long after the class ends, Glory's six words ring in Roy's mind.

    SATURDAY In the park

    Roy could hardly sleep the night into Saturday. And he'd even tried! He got up early, maybe a little before Erica, and happily nattered and chattered with her as they cooked up a royal banquet of a breakfast.

    In the presence of the First Cell of Hope, even Roy feels a bit starstruck. He is quiet at first, as a result, and spends the first few minutes inspecting the visible road with an eagle eye. Before the convoy arrives, he asks to the First Cell at large, politely, "Have there been any ripples in your spheres since these two's capture? Anything happen in the criminal underworld since our exam?"

    When the convoy appears, Roy makes sure his visor is on and Enhanced. He sweeps the area for even the smallest sign of something afoot.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check, +2 from Team Check, Vision has Counters All Concealment, -3 if requires sense other than Vision: (1d20+17)[21]
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Thokk_Smash's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    The Totally-Gonna-Be-Uneventful Prisoner Transfer

    Roy's visor HUD circles and highlights several parts of one of the guards. "Prestige, sir," he says, though he pitches his low voice to be heard by everyone. "The guard to the back-right of the moving cell--it seems like he's wearing a wig and a fake beard. I don't suppose your Cell got intel on the guards for the convoy?"
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    When Roy brought the back-right guard up, Erica chimed in, "He does also seem kinda more...tense than the other guards. And I mean, my brother and I have been kinda gaming it out in our heads, and the only really practical means to get through the security here would be to stage a distraction to draw you off, and then get through the cell before you return. Which would pretty much require access to one of the guards' gloves. I mean...the odds that someone is actually willing to put forth that level of effort for the likes of Gauntlet and Greaves seem pretty low, but from a tactical standpoint, if nobody attempts to break them out the choices we make regarding security are meaningless, so we might as well act like someone is going to try something. And if we're doing that...well, back in the Magellans we had a saying, 'It's only paranoia if it creates more risk than it removes.' Given the cell security, the three other guards, and all of you, the loss of a single guard would create negligible risk. On the flip side, a compromised guard is key to a hypothetical opposition achieving their win condition, so even a small chance that a guard is compromised is a substantial risk to the overall mission objective. So, um, I guess I would suggest that maybe you should remove that guard from duty, just in case." The words all kinda...spilled out all over themselves, a little bit. This was the First Cell of Hope and they were students. She almost didn't feel right giving them a suggestion. Surely, just presenting the raw data that they had learned would be sufficient for these experienced Heroes to come to the same conclusion. There was a part of her that worried they'd look down on her for even presuming to do so.

    But, well, they were students. They were here to learn. One day, they would be making these sort of decisions; it stood to reason that they should thus present their decision-making process and conclusions so it could be reviewed and corrected by those with the experience. And beyond that...

    Well, it's only paranoia if it creates more risk than it removes. And frankly, removing even the tiniest risk to the mission objective was more important than creating any risk that the Heroes would deem her presumptuous.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Saturday

    Serhe, like the others, had gotten up plenty early for his first time in the field, even if was only for shadowing purposes. Going into this, Serhe had very high expections, and even his cynicism towards heroes (thanks to his dear older brother) couldn't keep him from being excited.

    That, however, got dashed aside as soon as Manner opened her mouth. Serhe tried wordlessly to come up with a reply, until he was saved by Renault. The Enhancer wordlessly tries to scan the streets below, although it was a bit difficult to focus now that Annihilus had been brought up. Still, as Roy mentions the person in the disguise, Serhe instantly hones his eyes in on him, trying to figure out whatever he can.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception for Beard Man: (1d20+16)[33]
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM


    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Renault looks over at Erica as she gives out her suggestion, losing his slight smile as the Stonesmiths reveal the disguised guard. "Of course, Miss Stonesmith; good instincts," he says, immediately all business. "Manner, step forward and stop the convoy, then move the suspicious guard away from it. Galgameth, circle left and make sure he doesn't start running that way or call for backup; I will circle right and do the same. Earshot, stay on the wall with the kids and--"

    Renault cuts off as a terrible sound splits apart the early morning air. Those of you who lived in the colder regions of the Outer Ring and the Magellans shiver as a horrible shriek, seeming to be composed of the arctic wind of a deadly blizzard yet clearly coming from a living, furious throat, cuts through the night air, rising to a painful pitch before violently and abruptly cutting off. All four of Hope's Alpha Cell snap around to stare at the direction the howl arose from; Renault in particular takes an almost involuntary step in that directions, his eyes flat mossy disks of hate.

    "Wendigo."

    Spoiler: Roy and Serhe
    Show
    Both of you spot a thin plume of smoke begin to arise from deeper in town; if you had to guess, you'd say that the smoke is about six miles away. This tells you two things: one, that's a lot more smoke than it seems to be; and two, if that scream hurt your ears from hear, at the source it would have been beyond deafening.


    Spoiler: Erica
    Show
    The Alpha Cell has some interesting reactions to the sudden scream. All four of them grow significantly more tense the moment they register it, with Earshot tensing up significantly faster than anyone else. For their individual reactions, Renault is the most obvious: his 'Aura' goes nearly black with hatred, lit from within by striations of sickening greenish-blue obsession. Manner and Galgameth have nearly identical reactions, turning a murky orange-grey of dread and concern; Manner seems to be dreading the experience more, while Galgameth is more concerned. Earshot's 'Aura' twists into a sickly yellow (terror) which is ruthlessly suppressed.

    The bearded guard's tension ratchets up a notch as the scream hits, but he has no other reaction. The other guards... don't react at all. No emotional change whatsoever.


    Spoiler: Expertise (Villains) DC 25
    Show
    Wendigo is the name of a Transformer that haunts Hope, though its human form has never been seen (or at least confirmed). It tends to attack Heroes who are closing down on suspected Dimov family dealings, wounding (and very occasionally killing) its opponents with blasts of ice, shrieking winds, and rending claws.

    Spoiler: Expertise: Tribs DC 30
    Show
    Based on the descriptions you've heard of the Wendigo, its form is additionally fearful; it bears an uncanny resemblance of a rare, far northern Trib known as a Snowgaunt, though obviously at a much smaller scale.


    "Renault..." Manner begins, but she is silenced with a glare from the Prestige.

    "Cells Beta, Epsilon reporting in," Earshot intones, her quiet voice nearly a monotone now. Her face is impassive, focused on the middle distance as she listens to voices far, far away."Confirmed sighting of Wendigo defending a suspected jewelry fence's abode. No prior connection to Dimov family; they weren't expecting it." She shifts to look directly at Renault. "Flechette is down."

    "No Dimov connection? That's odd," Galgameth comments, sounding tense.

    "Doesn't matter," the Prestige snaps. "Change of plan. Manner, Earshot, with me; we move to bolster Beta, now. Galgameth, deal with the guard, then get to us ASAP; knock him out if you have to. Earshot, get Lambda out of bed and send them here to replace us. You four," he turns to the four of you, his face an almost unrecognizable mask of fury, "Watch the movable cell. If anything happens, shout for Earshot; Lambda will be here in two minutes." In a flash of arcane light, The Prestige is in the air and flying away from the wall, towards the distant shriek.

    Manner glances at the group apologetically. "He's just... sorry. Stay safe." She is lifted by a gust of wind and carried away. Earshot motions the group of you away from her, and you feel a vibration shakes your bones as she is lifted by a column of compressed sound and blasted across the town.

    Galgameth watches his Cell leave the wall, then looks over at the Stonesmiths. "A distraction, huh?" he comments dryly, before smiling. "I'm joking. There's no way that the Wendigo would be involved with these two. This just has to be horrible luck." With another quick smile, he leaps off of the wall. Halfway down, his body twists and snaps, expanding into a spindly, vaguely lizardlike form bedecked with small, painful-looking spines running down its arms and back to the tip of its whip-like tail. The shape hits the ground and rolls, uncoiling upright on two thin, bowed legs with its overlarge arms, tipped with disturbingly humanlike long-fingered hands surmounted by large claws. The shape towers up nearly fifteen feet tall, looking almost emaciated and predatory. Hunching forward slightly, Galgameth thrusts his short-snouted, fanged maw towards the bearded guard as the movable cell floats closer and growls...

    Spoiler: Serhe Only, Perception DC 30
    Show
    ...And the bearded man looks up at the snarling monstrosity before him and clenches his fists, and a nearly-invisible needle shoots out from a pinpoint opening at the shoulder of his uniform and disappears down Galgameth's throat...


    ...And then Galgameth goes rigid, the growl fading into slackjawed silence.

    The bearded man smiles lightly, looking up at the stunned Transformer before him. "It's all right, brave Hero. We don't want to fight," he says in a light, soothing voice, reaching into his pocket. "We'll just take the two poor Villains off of your hands, and then we'll be on our way." He pulls out a polished silver whistle and blows out a single piercing note, and several things begin to happen at once.

    As though the whistle flipped a switch in their minds, two of the guards drop to all fours, their bodies twitching strangely. The third one stops the cell with one hand, and begins moving towards the large metal door.

    "All of your vaunted powers do give you one common blind spot," the bearded man comments smugly. "You tend to underestimate the mundane chemicals of our world."

    Spoiler: Perception (Hearing) DC 30
    Show
    You hear three distinct sounds, coming from three different directions:

    First, a rush of wind and blowing detritus, sounding weirdly warped, heading towards you from about a thousand feet northwest of the gate, out in the fields beyond the city.

    Second, giant, buzzing wings, heading towards you from about eleven hundred feet south of the gate.

    And finally, running feet, accompanied by a crackle of electricity, heading towards you from about eight hundred feet west of the gate.


    Spoiler: Serhe
    Show
    As everything falls apart, and it looks like battle is coming, you feel the power in your eyes spark up, stronger than before. It seems like your training this past week has had some effect.

    In this battle, you can use Extra Effort for Nullify attacks twice without gaining any Fatigue.


    Spoiler: Erica
    Show
    In between figuring out the bearded man and watching in horror as everyone's 'Aura' goes haywire, you study the runes that you can see on the movable cell. You realize that they look... familiar. In fact, with just a tiny burst of effort here, a slight redrawing here... it wouldn't take more than a second...

    If you move within range to touch the movable cell, you can halve your Move action for each round afterwards in order to move the cell 60 feet in any direction you choose each round. You can expend your entire move action to "double-move" the cell, if you so choose.


    Spoiler: Roy
    Show
    You realize, as things start going wrong, that you still have some bits and pieces of equipment from the suit that you made for Boulos earlier this week. It's not enough to make the whole suit again (even if you had the time), but you might be able to do something...

    In this battle, you can use one Power Stunt that does not accrue any Fatigue. This Power Stunt can be used for two turns, and then it falls apart.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map

    You all rolled well, so All PCs are up!
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2018-03-30 at 11:19 AM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    The moment Erica heard the howl, and saw the reaction it provoked in the First Cell, she knew what was coming. Galgameth's joke did not alter her assessment. She didn't recognize the name Wendigo, but whoever that was didn't even need to actually be involved. Precognition, probability manipulation, good ol' fashioned regular manipulation...the world was not lacking for options to bring the right Villain into play at the right time.

    ~I'm betting on the latter, myself,~ she commented to her brother. ~It sounds like this Wendigo guy tends to target the Dimov people or whatever, so if they got false info to him suggesting a connection, boom, instant distraction.~

    "Wai-" Erica tried to call out as Galgameth moved to the attack. Seeing the other three guards show precisely zero emotional reaction to the howl - Erica didn't know a thing about Wendigo, and it still sent a chill up her spine - told her that they weren't just calm and bored. They were under some sort of external influence. Galgameth was likely leaping into a 1:4 fight expecting a 4:1.

    Her warning came too late, but it didn't turn out to matter, as the bearded guard somehow managed to stun the experienced Hero. Erica couldn't help but be reminded of another common saying from her homeland. "It's not pessimism."

    (Yeah, that was the whole saying. Nobody said life in the Magellans was anything even vaguely resembling easy.)

    But, well, what could they do? The Heroes had been drawn off or neutralized, the guards replaced or controlled. They were just students, here strictly in an observational capacity. They could yell for Earshot, but that was pretty much it, and four to one might be too much for even her. The bad guys had won.

    ...Hah. Right.

    She didn't really have the time to go full armor mode, but the small white stones in the simple silver rings on her fingers began to glow with pale light. Those stones were enchanted with a projection affect, allowing her to channel her attacks and manipulate objects from a distance.

    The weren't getting into that cell. Not if she had anything to say about it.

    Her sword retracted into the hilt, which extended into staff mode. Gripping her weapon tightly in her right hand, she channeled her supernatural power into and through it, charging the Flux gemstones in its pommel-turned-tip. A bright neon yellow light shone from one of the gems, and the next moment, a brilliant blast of lucent energy flared over the cell.

    And when it faded, the mobile cell was no longer where it had been. It was up on the roof by them.

    (Because with her left hand, she had made a few quick tweaks to the runes and channeled a bit more of her energy through them.)

    Erica's heart was pounding in her chest, hard enough that Roy could probably feel it. This wasn't a game, it wasn't a training session. This was a live fire combat situation. It was deadly serious and the stakes were real. Erica wasn't fearless. She was enjoying the taste of self-confidence, but it was one thing to be at the top of their class. It was quite another to face real enemies in a real fight. So yeah, she was scared.

    But that would never stop her.

    Standing atop the wall, her glowing staff firmly planted, hands aglow with pale white light, her long brown hair and flowing garb waving gently in the wind, Erica Stonesmith stared down the bearded goon and vented her fear the best way she knew how.

    Smack-talk!

    "Did you really think it would be that easy? That you could just infiltrate the guard, distract the Heroes, and mosey along with the prisoners? This is Hope, idiot! You should have just let Galgameth take you apart! At least that would have been a glorious battle, given you a nice story to tell the other goons in the cell block on macaroni day! Now when the other Villains ask what Hero brought you in, you're going to have nothing to say but 'a group of first-years not even in their second week of classes'!"

    "EARSHOT!"

    "GUARDS TURNED!"

    "GALGAMETH DOWN!"

    "ENGAGING!"


    Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Swap to Magic Projection and Flux Wizard.

    Standard: Flux Wizard on G1, G3, and BG. Dodge DC 18 for half. Toughness DC 23/19 vs. Damage. Variable Descriptor is Light, and they may be subject to a Secondary Effect next round if she spends a move action for it.

    Free: With the second Extra Limb from Magic Projection, touch the cell to influence the runes.

    Move: "Double move" the cell up onto the wall with us.

    Free: Talk smack.

    Free: ...Follow orders.

    Current Status: Normal.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-03-30 at 01:52 AM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Thokk_Smash's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy shakes his head slowly as the situation unfolds. ~No, the Dimovs are a suspected crime family,~ he thinks to Erica. She can hear the gears in his mind whirling in thought. ~The Beta Cell weren't expecting this dangerous of an assault because the place isn't someplace the Dimovs would normally protect. So someone must've sicced it on the Cell. Which means--~

    "It is a diver--!" he yells, in tandem with Erica, but it is too little too late. The remaining pro Hero on the scene has been neutralized. It's four children against a group (because it is a group, to have arranged such an elaborate and exact trap) of Villains of unknown means and temperaments. What's the point of fighting back? Better to just hang back and stay out of the way.

    ...Pfft. As if.

    Roy keeps his clothes loose and free, unarmored and keeping his sneering face visible to the Beard Guy. Spots of light appear on his loose sleeves, small globes of Flux crystals creating a layer of hard space outlining his arms and hands.

    "You're one to talk about blind spots, Beard Guy," Roy calls out with a mocking smile as his ghostly arms erupt into the air. His gauntlets have been brought with them, and they snake in the air like whips as Roy continues to speak. "Sure, you took care of the big bad pro Heroes. But you shouldn't have given us even a single second to think! Don't think for a second you'll get out of this unscathed!"

    Roy tries to inject more than just bluster into his statements there. He's not oblivious to the reality here. This is more than two bumbling, squabbling siblings. There may even be more Villains on the way to back up Beard Guy. But that can't stop them. It won't stop them. And Roy's words are half-ruse, trying to keep Beard Guy's attention from the pair of gauntlets that aim to strike them unawares.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Deception to Feint, -5 for Move Action: (1d20+11)[15]

    Free Action: Enhanced Spatial Influence to Elongate Roy's Iridium Gauntlets into Close range of Beard Guy.

    Standard action: Iridium Introduction, -2/+2 AoA/PA, (1d20+10)[24] vs DC 25 Damage, DC 20 Strength vs Move Object (Down/Prone), DC 20 Will vs Vulnerable/Defenseless/Incapacitated)

    Free action: Bring gauntlets back onto Roy's hands.

    Status: Fine, -2 Defenses
    HP: 2
    Luck: 3/4
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Serhe, along with everybody else, winced at the sudden howl, his pupil's narrowing as he tried to get a look on the source of the sound to no avail. It distracted him for a fraction of a second, wasting the precious few seconds he had to inform everybody about the identity (or lack thereof) of the strange guard. As the professional heroes took off one by one, Serhe felt a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. From just the quality of the disguise, Serhe was almost positive that this was a considerable threat as well.

    That sinking feeling turned to outright panic as Serhe watched the tiny, nearly-invisible dart fly through the air and embed itself somewhere in Galgameth's throat, instantly dropping the giant reptilian creature. Serhe stands for a moment, locked in a panic. They group of them were up against somebody with weapons that he could barely see and who had just dropped a professional hero like they were nothing. Even worse, Serhe had absolutely no idea what his powers were, which made an already ugly situation even harder. For a second, Serhe thought of just trying to call for backup and getting away with the cell, but as the rest of the cell stepped forward, he knew he had no choice. Serhe starts to move forward as well, trying to look far more confident than he felt at the moment. For the first time ever it wasn't a game, he didn't know everybody's abilities, and, if he lost, he might die.

    Watch out; he has darts! Serhe says, pointing towards the man in the disguise as he starts to concentrate energy in his eyes, waiting for anything that might give away what powers the beard man used.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Going to hold until after the villains so that Serhe can hopefully figure out what their powers are before Nullifying!
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM


    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Erica's blast of lucent light smote the two twitching Transformers, stopping their shapeshifting cold and leaving the two guards unconscious on the paving stones. The bearded man shades his eyes with one hand, looking up at her with an indulgent smile. He twists his body athletically as Roy's gauntlets snap towards him, avoiding one metal fist entirely; the other strikes a hefty glancing blow on his midsection, and his breath comes out in a hiss of pain as he drops to one knee, obviously winded.

    "Aye, g'won back to the hole ye crawled out of," Connor growls at the bearded man. He thrusts one hand, palm outwards, towards the man, and the cobblestones ripple and buck underneath him, turning his kneeling position into a flat sprawl. It takes the man a few long moments to rise to his feet, breathing heavily.

    "Understood," Earshot's voice cuts in suddenly, sounding as though she was standing right next to Erika. "Lambda is awake and moving to your position. Est--" A blast of sound so loud it is felt rather than heard suddenly echoes through the connection for an instant before being just as suddenly cut off. A few seconds later, the shriek of the Wendigo once again rises from somewhere across the city. "--Thirty seconds," Earshot cuts back in, her normally unflappable voice sounding slightly slurred. "Hold until then." It seems that the message has ended, and then Earshot's voice returns, lower and gentler than you have yet heard it. "Your lives are more valuable than the prisoners; there is no shame in fleeing if you must."

    "Easy?" the bearded man repeats, regaining his breath slowly. "Unscathed? Mr. and Miss Stonesmith, I am sure that those comments were your attempts at 'banter', as it were, but I still feel the need to address them. Old habits, perhaps." He smiles pleasantly. Farther down the street, the cobblestones creak and break as the other conscious guard leaps into the air, jumping clear over the movable cell and landing on the other side in one galvanic motion. ""I assume that this early in your schooling, you haven't taken classes on combating specific power types and their standard tactics, correct? Well, then, consider this an advance lesson," the man continues, as the guard reaches towards the iron door of the cell with his gloved hand. "When facing a Mental Paragon with at least a shred of common sense--a rare breed, I admit--you will find that they have prepared... for the sake of simplicity, we will call it three plans. The first plan is the Ideal Plan, which will never play out as planned so long as we live in this imperfect world. When the Ideal Plan fails, he moves to the Real Plan, which is truly a series of 'if, then' statements hypothesizing enemy response and the proper countermeasures of the same. Should this plan also fail, the Mental Paragon finally shifts to the Contingency Plan, of which there should always be at least three; this being his method of escaping the fallout of his failed schemes." The guard pulls on the iron door, only to find it locked, the binding runes on the door flaring slightly at the power of his pulls. He pauses for a moment, then speaks a word, and the binding runes flare brighter before vanishing. "In the case of this particular encounter, I must congratulate you; you have successfully been the disruption to the Ideal Plan." The guard opens the door to the movable cell, stepping to one side of the now-open portal.

    Spoiler: Insight DC 19
    Show
    As the bearded man says 'Mental Paragon', you could swear that he looks directly at Serhe.


    Spoiler: Expertise: Magic DC 20
    Show
    The runes of binding on the door flared and faded as though they were counteracted by an unbinding counterspell, but there was no answering flash of power from the guard, and his earlier jump suggests that the guard is actually a Paragon. It's almost as though the Supernatural bindings were dispelled by non-Supernatural means.


    The sound of buzzing, enormous bug-like wings assaults your ears a second before a white insectoid mass the size of a human wings into view from above the buildings to the south of the gate, glowing eerily in the predawn light. The form lands slightly to one side of the bearded man, its chitinous yet disturbingly human legs flexing from the impact of its heavy landing. translucent milky wings fold into place long its back as it spreads long arms tipped with sharp-looking claws wide, glaring up at the group with enormous segmented ruby eyes. Wide, full lips, looking practically human on the insect body, open wide, and the creature gives out a human scream of defiant challenge. At the same time, its entire form glows more brightly before culminating in a blinding flash of white light that briefly erases the world.

    Almost before the white light fades, a strong smell of ozone strikes your noses. Before you can fully register the sent, you are all buffeted by heavy winds that seem as solid as fists, each gust laced with buzzing static electricity that stands your hair on end and threatens to bind your limbs. You have only an impression of a tall person dressed in yellow and gold with flowing golden hair, weaving between the four of you with the electric gusts following in its wake, before the figure breaks off, dashing directly into the now-open door of the movable cell.

    Another rush of displaced air comes from behind the wall, abruptly cut off as a man steps lightly from open space onto the wall to your right. The man seems extremely short, barely cresting five feet tall, and so extremely thin as to be cadaverous; he is utterly hairless and dressed in ragged robes of varying shades of grey, and his coal-black eyes seem light from within by some unknowable knowledge. "Humanity's end is nigh," he intones in an impossibly deep, somber voice, his face twisted in sadness as he looks at your group. "Children should not be forced to carry the burden of our future. Embrace Oblivion." Each of you is struck by crushing force and a sense of sudden vertigo as gravity seems to tilt, pulling you towards the strange grey-robed man.

    Spoiler: Erica
    Show
    The crushing force and inexorable pull of the man's attack cuts through your wards as though they don't exist, leaving you struggling to defend yourself against it. You count as Impaired against attacks from the man in grey robes; take a Hero Point for your Cardinal Inferiority Complication.


    Spoiler: Erica's Visor
    Show
    The Yellow Shadow, the Grey-Robed Man, and the Bug Woman are all Elementalists.


    Spoiler: Roy's Visor
    Show
    The Bug Woman is an Enhancer, though her powers are wildly varied compared to most. It looks like besides that flash of painful, disorienting light, she can also attack with those vicious claws, fly, regenerate from damage, spit rapidly-expanding fireballs, and lift several times the amount of an ordinary human. Her powers also look kind of... weird to you, but you're not sure how.


    Spoiler: Villain Info
    Show
    Spoiler: Beard Guy (Expertise (Heroes or Villains) DC 20)
    Show
    The disguise, the darts, and the comment about 'old habits' finally let you put together who this man is; Melor Maly, once a respected biochemist and an instructed at the Flux Hero Academy. Besides his work at FA, Maly was known to travel the Outer Ring and distribute medicines to those in need, until one trip about six years ago took him to Mensae, where he vanished. Ten months later, a new villain operating out of Mesa calling himself Lassitude due to the soporific effects of his poisons was captured, and the Heroes who captured him found that he was wearing an elaborate disguise with Melor Maly underneath. It seems that something happened to Maly in Mensae, turning him from a respected Hero to a villain affiliated with the worst kind of extreme Tri-Deist experiments. Since then, Maly has used his talent for disguise and chemistry to break out of prison time and time again.

    Spoiler: DC 25
    Show
    Then again, a later investigation discovered that the number of mysterious disappearances in the Outer Ring went up a small but significant amount each time Maly went on one of his trips; it's possible that Maly was working for the Higher Power Association long before his apparent turn.


    Spoiler: Bug Woman (Expertise (Villains or Current Events) DC 20)
    Show
    The bug woman bears a striking resemblance to a new type of agent recently deployed by the Weavers, Veld's most prominent Villain faction. Known as 'firebugs', these agents are a tactic of last resort by the Weavers, used to burn the grass fields when all attempts at theft, bribery, or blackmail fails. It's not known if the agents are regularly Fire Elementalists, bug-type Transformers, or a mixture of both, only that the costumes that they wear are astonishingly versatile; despite the immense variation of powers found in Teocawki, all of the firebugs have been observed with almost identical skillsets: bug wings, claws, and fire breath. One odd thing, though; firebugs were described as wearing red costumes with segmented black eyes.

    Spoiler: DC 25
    Show
    You've heard of the white firebug before; this is the supposed leader of that section of the Weavers, and the prototype from which the other suits were made. You've heard that she's an albino woman named Barbara Rose, though she generally takes 'Firebug' as her official name when she's on official business for the Weavers.


    Spoiler: Yellow Shadow (Expertise (Villains or Local) DC 20)
    Show
    A yellow shadow who uses lightning and wind as her attacks of choice is a well-known figure in Hope: 'Livewire' (real name Madelyn Squires), a B-list Villain and petty thief who is known mostly for quick hit-and-runs against banks. She is slightly famous for never staying still; the few pictures of her are all when she was knocked unconscious in bouts against Heroes.

    Spoiler: DC 25
    Show
    The name Squires is familiar; one of your classmates, Calvin, has the same last name. Now, that could just be coincidence (Squires isn't really an uncommon surname), but at the same time, In Teocawki, people with the same last name are almost always related somehow.


    Spoiler: Embrace Oblivion (Expertise (Heroes or Religion) DC 20
    Show
    The grey robes and the fatalistic speech are a dead giveaway; this man is a member of the Cult the Allmind Rejected. Fanatics who believe that humanity has outlived its purpose and should be destroyed, they pop up every now and then, attempting to sabotage human progress.

    Spoiler: DC 25
    Show
    This particular man sticks out in your mind; you know who he is.

    Ten years ago, a hero named Density (real name Doru Kurzmann), a Void and Wind Elementalist, was traveling from the Inner Ring to the Outer Ring when he saw a different airship crash into the Mist. Without hesitation, Doru dove into the Mist himself, trying to save who he could. He arose from the mist three hours later, alone and utterly mad, and since then Accretion has become one of the few members of the Cult the Allmind Rejected able to gather others to himself and form some sort of actual organization, due to his insane claims that he spoke to a representative of the Allmind in the mist and it told him that humanity's time was done.



    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map.

    Beard Guy

    Move Action: Dazed.

    Standard Action: Stand from Prone.

    End of Turn: Fort to Remove Dazed & Impaired (DC 18): (1d20+6)[21] Recovered

    Guard 4

    Move Action: Leap to L33.

    Standard Action: Use ??? to open the door.

    Move-By Action: Shift to J33.

    Bug Woman

    Move Action: Fly to Q22.

    Standard Action: Lightning Bug Flash. Everyone, Dodge DC 20 to negate. If that Fails, Highest Active Defense DC 20 vs. Dazed & Visually Impaired/Stunned & Visually Disabled. Connor: (1d20+8)[17] if that fails: (1d20+8)[12] Using 1 of Connor's HP to reroll the Dodge check

    Yellow Shadow

    Move Action: Shift to Q30.

    Standard Action: Electrostorm on the group. Everyone, Dodge DC 20 for half, Toughness DC 25/20 vs. Damage, Fortitude DC 20/15 vs. Dazed/Stunned (Cumulative, Secondary Effect). Connor: (1d20+8)[23] Toughness: (1d20+8)[16] Fort: (1d20+10)[18] 1 Bruise.

    Move-By Action: Shift into the movable cell.

    Grey-Robed Man

    Move Action: Fly to V30.

    Standard Action: Black Hole on the group. Everyone, Dodge DC 20 for half, Toughness DC 25/20 vs. Damage, Strength or Flight DC 20/15 or be pulled directly towards the Grey-robed man, ending one square adjacent to him. Connor: (1d20+8)[27] Toughness: (1d20+8)[15] Strength: (1d20+8)[23] 1 Bruise and Dazed. Strength should be 15; still resists.

    All PCs are On Turn! This is the Final Battle of the Arc; Hero Points are at 'Use them or Lose them' Status!
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2018-04-01 at 06:06 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy shielded Erica from the bug woman's light and steadied her against the gravity well. Her wards absorbed the lightning harmlessly.

    "Oh really? Is that so?" Erica shot back at the bearded man. "What's your contingency plan for this!?" she challenged with a grunt of exertion on the last word, as she didn't just move, but flipped the cell onto its front. This would likely slam the inward-opening door shut, but regardless, instead of a way out, the door would now only open onto the solid wall of Hope.

    "Our end is nigh? Really? That's what you come at us with?" she shouted at the robed man. "You know, I've heard I thing or two about your little doom cult, and the thing that's always struck me is just how ludicrous it is! We survived the Threefold Day, idiot! We survived the flight through the Mists! We survived to found new cities, to spread to the Outer Ring, and to explore the Magellans! We had one bad day and you know what? We've gotten stronger every day since! You say the end is nigh?"

    "We're humans! The end is where we ******* live, and you and your sorry excuse for a knock-off copy of a god ain't seen nothing yet!"
    The staff in her hand transformed into a cruciform longsword, which she slashed at the gray-robed elementalist while channeling positive energy to heal her brother.

    Then she scanned the newcomers with her visor. "Serhe, the newcomers are elementalists, and neither Roy nor I saw the remaining guards' powers, so they're presumably both paragons!" Which the so-called mental paragon had kinda confirmed for them himself, but whatever. Evidently he was right about that particular power set not coming with an abundance of common sense.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Flip the cell onto its front. Door is now pressed against the top of the wall, which I'm gonna guess is probably pretty beefy. Who needs runes?

    Standard: Spend that fancy new Hero Point for Inspire 5! All allies who can hear her (including Galgameth and as far as I can tell, probably Earshot too) get +5 on all checks for one round.

    Free: Swap Flux Paladin.

    Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: Attack Gray Robe with Flux Paladin at (1d20+8)[26]. On a hit, Toughness DC 23 vs. Damage, Fortitude DC 18 vs. Dazed+Vulnerable/Stunned+Defenseless. Regardless, Roy heals one Bruise.

    Free: Swap to Arcane Resonance.

    Free: Inform Serhe of powersets.

    Current Status: Fatigued as of next turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-04-01 at 06:47 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    As the man monologues, Serhe's eyes dart around frantically, trying to find something, anything that he could do. When an obvious path forward isn't revealed to him, Serhe starts to back up. Sure, the bearded man has just given his powers away, but that was a trap, right? However, once the reinforcements began to arrive, with one bringing along enough elemental fanfare to give Serhe a very, very good idea of what kind of powers he was dealing with, the boy felt a little bit of his old bravado returning. He twists and turns wildly, doing his best to avoid the concurrent blasts that strike him over and over, leaving his vision spotted and a few of his fingers pointing in the wrong direction, but far less injured than he should have been.

    Connor! Serhe shouts, looking to his oldest teammate. Take out that guard! The second Erica confirms what he already knew, Serhe lets a soft smile go across his lips.

    Hey, Mr. Ideal Plan! Here's a lesson from us: a monologue is tacky, and just gives us time to get ready! Serhe shouts, his eyes flashing red as they dart from target to target, trying to sap as much power as he possibly can.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Nullify time! AoA and PA at max on all of these, and ignoring anything above Rank 15. Also going to use both of my free Extra Efforts!

    The first two wouldn't benefit from Erica's buff, so here they are:
    vs. Gravity Guy
    AC: (1d20+8)[26] 20
    Nullify: (1d20+13)[22]

    vs. Gravity Guy if first failed, or Bug Woman otherwise
    AC: (1d20+8)[10]
    Nullify: (1d20+13)[27]

    Second set gets Erica's buff!

    vs. Gravity Guy if first failed, or Bug Woman if failed, then Electric
    AC: (1d20+13)[32] 31
    Nullify: (1d20+18)[21]

    vs. Gravity Guy if first failed, or Bug Woman if failed, then Electric
    AC: (1d20+13)[14]
    Nullify: (1d20+18)[38]
    Last edited by Arcran; 2018-04-01 at 11:11 PM.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM


    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Thokk_Smash's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy notices the dangers to his friends in quick succession. He knows that his crystals are more geared toward avoidance than his sister's, and the new enemies seem to be focusing on area-of-effect assaults to maximize damage. Though it costs him some energy, he forces his flux crystals to shift their energies from his visor to the clear-lined crystals lining his armor's extremities. He leaps to his sister's side in a flash even faster than the light from the bug woman: he shields her eyes even as he forces himself to fight past the intensity of the light; he digs in his feet and uses the Flux crystals' energies to resist the grey-cloaked man's power.

    The lightning crackles on his armor, though, and sinks into his very bones. He struggles past the pain with some effort. As he does, he ruminates on these new additions. A motley crew of villains. Two with little regard for morality or safety of others; the other two, affiliated with the worst of the dark sides of their respective religions. And even more than that...

    "With your obvious self-important intellect, no righteous indignation will make you give a sh*t," Roy says, voice loud and clear in the crisp morning air. "So let's look at the facts: you're the infamous Lassitude, former pro Hero who probably took to horrific experimentation on innocents even before his official disappearance; the island you disappeared on is the same island the mysterious Crow is rumored to roost in; and you've orchestrated this entire escape attempt, by your own words."

    He feels Erica's words bolster him, and he grits his teeth in anger. "Your objective, here in the outskirts of humanity's bastion of Heroism, is obviously to get your targets out as fast as possible. So our objective is to oppose you with all the power we can muster. Don't cry if that's enough to take you out!"

    He claps his hands together at the last word. He smirks when he realizes Serhe's power has taken hold. His gauntlets begin transforming, shifting, and become a pair of twin pistols. Taking aim at the self-assured prig on the ground, he pushes hard on the triggers. The pistols shoot the painful pellets they're known for, that will immediately expand on contact to threaten to encapsulate the villain in a cocoon of glue.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free action: Swap to Enhanced Visor Crystal and Violane Verse.

    Move action: Dazed

    Standard action: Attack with Violane Verse, AoA/PA -5/+5, (1d20+15)[31] vs DC 28+Multiattack Damage, DC 23 Defense vs Dazed/Stunned (Limited to physical actions only), DC 23 Create. Should be 2-degree success, +2 Multiattack

    Potential extra effort depending on the results.

    Extra Effort'd to attack Bug Lady, attack roll of 26

    Recovery for Dazed (DC 15): (1d20+13)[31] Recovers

    Status: Bruised, Dazed (Pending)
    HP: 1 2
    Luck: 2/4 1/4
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2018-04-02 at 10:28 AM.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    The grey-robed man lifts up a hand cloaked in void, catching Erica's sword mid-swing and stopping it cold. He flinches back from the light of the sword, his face screwed up in pain and sadness. Mere moments later, the void and whistling wind around him sputters and dies, Erica's blade resting against his now bare hand. On the back of the grey-robed man's hand is the crude tattoo of an locked padlock.

    The angry scarlet light of the bug woman's segmented eyes sputters and fades into a dull red-brown as Serhe's gaze passes over her, and she lets out another scream of challenge, which breaks off as Roy's pellets burst around her. Lassitude takes several pellets to the stomach and chest, his breathing becoming noticeably ragged as he struggles to remain on his feet. Despite his state, he smiles, looking up at Erica and opening his mouth to answer.

    Several hundred pounds of angry lizard slams into him like... well, several hundred pounds of angry lizard, leaving him unconscious on the cobblestones below. Galgameth roars, flexing his claws wide as he looks over the remaining enemies.

    Up on top of the wall, the crude tattoo on the grey-robed man's hand shimmers and shifts; you all hear a distinct click as it changes from a closed padlock to an open one.

    The grey-robed man's sad, mad eyes stare deep into Erica's own eyes, his face a picture of resigned despair. "When the man of gravitas comes to inform, rather than to offer, you will begin to understand. It is already too late." Throwing the sword away from him with his hand, the man turns and runs to the edge of he wall... and leaps off, out of sight.

    A moment later, what Lassitude was about to say to Erica becomes somewhat apparent: the air becomes charged and taut, and then one entire wall of the movable cell explodes outwards in a blast of dust and rubble, a massive bolt of lightning arcing through the empty space where it had been and out over the city. The air, already charged from the earlier attack, reacts to the bolt of lightning in a physical cascade of popping static sparks, which fall over you all once again, causing your muscles to seize painfully.

    The bug woman hisses up at the four of you on the top of the wall and speaks for the first time. "Take my sad birthright powers then, eyeleech," she sneers in a young woman's alto voice, her dull eyes glaring even as her suit begins to writhe and twist upon her, slowly repairing the damage done by Roy's pellets. "Miss Arterbery has given me much better abilities." Leaning back, the bug woman whips her head forward and spits out a glob of shimmering orange-ish goo, which bounces off one side of the movable cell before expanding outward in a rush, covering all of you in a burning hot jelly that suddenly ignites into leaping flames. EVen as the jelly ignites, the woman's suit brightens and flashes again, threatening to dazzle you all once more.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map.

    Grey Robes

    Move Action: Dazed.

    Standard Action: Shift off the edge of the wall, and out of sight.

    End of Turn: Fortitude to Remove Dazed & Vulnerable (DC 18): (1d20+10)[17] Fail.

    Yellow Flash

    Move Action: ???

    Standard Action: Use Chain Lightning on the movable cell wall. Rolled in the OOC; wall is destroyed.

    End of Turn: Secondary Effect Activates: Everyone make a Dodge DC 20 Save, then a Fortitude DC 20/15 Save vs. Dazed/Stunned. Connor Dodge: (1d20+8)[13] Fortitude: (1d20+10)[17] Dazed. Forgot Inspire Bonus; Tanked.

    Bug Woman

    Move Action: Dazed.

    Standard Action: Napalm Spit on the party. Everyone, make a Dodge DC 20 save, then a Toughness DC 25/20 save vs. Incurable Damage. Connor Dodge: (1d20+8)[16] Toughness: (1d20+6)[25] Tanked.

    End of Turn: Secondary Effect Activates: Everyone make a Dodge DC 20 save; if that fails, make a Fortitude DC 20 save vs. Dazed & Visually Impaired/Stunned & Visually Disabled. Connor Dodge: (1d20+8)[21] Fortitude: (1d20+10)[13] Tanked.

    Also End of Turn: Regenerates a Bruise.

    Turns until Lambda Cell Arrives: 4.

    All PCs are up!
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2018-04-03 at 02:12 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Serhe tries to roll to the side to avoid the flaming spit but ends up getting caught up in the blast, launching him a few feet from the side. Even though his powers had taken hold, this woman was still firing off blasts that could almost put him out of condition. What the hell kind of power created a fireball and wasn't Elementalist based?

    More than a little panicked, and knowing that he would do far more good just by keeping other people's powers off, Serhe starts to sprint towards the backside of the cage, hoping that he can take out the guard before anything else goes south. After all, all they needed to do at the moment was stall for time. Once another cell got here, they could take care of everything. Thirty seconds, give or take. That's all that they have to hold out for.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Serhe moves, then uses the Defend action!
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM


    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Thokk_Smash's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy throws himself into the path of the enemies' attacks once more, shielding his sister from the brunt of the effects. He grimaces as the blinding lights leave spots in his vision, and the electricity leaves him with spasms that hinder his movements.

    He reaches for the bits of spare parts on his armor, not with his hands but with his powers. They form a latticework of power that channels his natural energies even more efficiently than normal. The makeshift device won't hold up long, but hopefully it'll work for what he needs.

    He looks askance at Grey-Cloak as he disappears down the wall. He's not as big a threat right now. Instead, he shifts Iridium Medley to its azure sniper-rifle form. Taking to the air with hardened air beneath his feet, he circles around to the now-exposed side of the cell block. He takes aim at Livewire--he considers mentioning her potential relationship with their classmate, but decides against it. Instead, he merely pulls the trigger and releases a bullet made of pure ice and shattering cold.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free action: Power Stunt, using Roy's fatigue-free Power Stunt, to make Immunity 10 (Enhancement effects, Limited [Half-Effect]), Enhanced Iridium Medley (Limited [Only when attacking an elementalist or as a Team Attack with Erica when she's on her Arcane Augmentation array slot]), Platform Flight 3.

    Free action: Use a HP to remove Roy's Dazed condition.

    Move action: Move in front of open part of cell.

    Standard action: Attack with Sapphire Solo, AoA 5, PA 3, (1d20+6)[10] vs DC 30 Damage that has Homing 2 and Precise thanks to Yellow Shadow being an Elementalist. The Damage carries a Secondary Effect.

    Move-By Action: End in same spot as started.

    Status: Fatigued, -5 Defenses, Visually Impaired
    HP: 1
    Luck: 1/4
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2018-04-05 at 09:36 PM.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    With Roy shielding her from the light and lightning, she reached around him to get her arms in the way of the napalm, the long sleeves of her flowing attire catching most of it. It sizzled against her wards, taking some energy to hold back, but nothing she couldn't afford.

    On the one hand, Erica was a little disappointed in the cell for not being strong enough to withstand even one energy blast. But on the other hand...

    It was fun growing up with a brother with the power of object Enhancement. For almost as long as she could remember, Roy had been building little trinkets and devices, bits and pieces of BTD tech. Sometimes they were silly. Sometimes they were practical. Usually they were fun in one way or another. One time he had built this little boxy thing with a few buttons and a screen that had evidently been used to play little picture games. He even Enhanced it to output one of the games he had read about, a weird little puzzle with blocks that fell faster and faster and you had to line them up to clear them before they reached the top.

    It was funny what you think about in the heat of battle.

    (Clang-thunk-crash! The cell rolled over the wall and dropped to the ground, with the door still facing downward but the new hole now facing the wall.)

    Spoiler: If certain questions asked in Discord are all answered yes
    Show
    "Connor!" Erica called to the earth elementalist with a huge grin. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"


    Erica's sword contracted again, but rather than a staff extending from the hilt, the pommel released a flexible beam of pale blue light. She lashed out at the bug woman, trying to wrap the whip of cold energy around her and bind her wings, to leave her easy prey to Galgameth.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Swap to Arcane Augmentation.

    Move: Move the cell to K21, door facing down, broken section against the wall. I will happy spend my move action to cost Yellow Shadow her standard action all day.

    Standard: Attack Bug Woman with Flux Dancer, All Out Attack for 4, Power Attack for 2, at (1d20+10)[28], critting on 19+. On a hit, Toughness DC 25 vs. [Cold] Damage, Prowess DC 20 vs. Vulnerable/Defenseless, and Strength or Dodge DC 20 vs. Grab. Note that a successful Grab will negate Flight with the Wings Extra, so if she is grabbed and has no other means of remaining airborne she'll fall, receiving additional damage and possibly ending up Prone (Flux Dancer has a 120' reach, so it won't help her any unless the wall's way higher than I thought). One off from a crit!

    Current Status: 1 Bruise (Incurable).
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-04-05 at 02:19 AM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    As Serhe and Roy both approach the movable cell, they hear an oddly modulated woman's voice speaking from within: "--filled our part of the deal. I only have it in me to carry one of you. Which will it be?"

    "Edith," comes Greaves' voice immediately. "Get her out of here now."

    "Artie--" Gauntlet begins, only to be immediately cut off. "No arguing, Edie; you go first."

    "All right then," Livewire says as Roy rounds the corner to the open wall of the cell. Inside are Gauntlet and Greaves, the twins rubbing their wrists where shackles were until recently and talking to the blurry yellow-gold form that is the infamous bank thief. Roy's shot passes through where Livewire's head was moments before, the villain hardly seeming to notice the shot while sidestepping away from it. "Gauntlet, I'm going to grab you in a second; just rela--oh, for--" Whatever else Livewire was about to say gets cut off as the movable cell flips once more,slamming onto the ground at the bottom of the wall.

    Erica's whip lashes across the Bug Woman, eliciting another shriek and leaving her scrambling away from the frigid coils. Seizing his chance, Galgameth rounds on the Bug Woman, his toothy maw opening and spewing forth thousands of red-hot bits of metal towards his enemy; unfortunately, galvanized from escaping Erica's whip, the Bug Woman is able to leap away from the dangerous molten metal shower.

    Looking up at Erica's call, Connor suddenly grins. "Aye," he begins, then staggers as the wind suddenly picks up in a howling frenzy. Whirling around the wall, the wind seems to press into all of you, restricting your movements and making it difficult to fly. Out of the clear predawn air, a massive bolt of lightning crashes down in tandem with an earsplitting rush of thunder, tearing large chunks from one wall of the Cell and revealing its inner chamber once more. Connor immediately moves his hands and the wall begins to close again, but a yellow-gold blur rushes through one of the larger holes and out into the open once more. Gauntlet, throwing herself through another hole, is not as lucky; the hole closes around her leg in midair, and she finds herself hanging awkwardly from the edge of the cell, still trapped. "Artie!" She cries out, punching at the cell wall with one un-gauntleted fist.

    The Bug Woman pauses for a moment, and then--oddly--glances at the back of her hand. She chuckles, a low, throaty sound. "So we're done, then," she crows, her wings buzzing back into life. In an instant, she is in front of Roy, claw-tipped fingers outstretched to rip and tear. "I can finally have some fun!"

    On top of the wall, Serhe feels the pressure behind his eyes intensify for a moment, then ease, far more than it should if he was still suppressing two different powers.

    The sky darkens, fading from pearly grey to slate and finally to deepest black. The blackness seems to press on all of your eyes and ears, nearly blinding and deafening you. Your limbs become heavy, as though gravity has increased enormously; it is once more difficult to move--though the blackness immediately begins to fade.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map.

    Grey Robe

    Move Action: Dazed.

    Free Action: Switch array to Event Horizon.

    Standard Action: Fall the rest of the way to the ground. Flight activates at end of turn, lowering the Toughness save to DC 27: (1d20+10)[11] Oh, Grey Robe... INCAPACITATED!

    Extra Effort: Throw off Nullify. Event Horizon activates; everyone, you have a -5 to Perception checks, and your movement speeds are reduced by 2 ranks.

    Yellow Flash Livewire

    Free Action: Switch to Electrostorm. Everyone, your movement speeds are reduced by 2 ranks.

    Standard Action: Use the second part of Electrostorm on the Cell wall, Breaching it.

    Move Action: Escape from the movable cell, to 019.

    Bug Woman

    Move Action: Shift to S29.

    Standard Action: Use Scything Claws on Roy, All-Out attacking for 3. (1d20+13)[19] Crit on 30+ On a hit, Damage DC 25+Multiattack, Toughness DC 20+Multiattack vs. Weaken Toughness. Miss

    Turns until Lambda Cell Arrives: 3.

    All PCs are up!
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2018-04-07 at 10:46 AM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Erica grinned as Connor repaired the breach. Livewire was out though, and Gauntlet might have been far enough out to be teleported...maybe. Maybe not. Maybe not without losing a leg, come to think. Regardless, no sense letting them try. "Serhe, can you hit Livewire?" she called over.

    She wasn't entirely sure what was up with the sudden - and suddenly ended - gravity swell, but she had more important things to worry about at the moment.

    She wasn't letting these Villains get away. Not Gauntlet and Greaves, not the people who came to rescue them. Not if she could help it.

    "Yeah. You're done!" Erica shouted an agreement with the bug woman, and sparkles flowed down her body. Where they passed, flowing cloth was replaced by hardened steel, as Erica armored up.

    She swung her whip at the Bug Woman again, the deep blue, white flecked crystal on her belt glowing brightly, resonating with the crystals in her brother's armor. The cold whip would detach on a hit, trying to wrap around her like a living thing, while Erica brought it around in a full loop to extend a new cord of green light to snap at the cell, launching it hard at Livewire, Gauntlet-first, basically aiming to smack the speedy Elementalist with Gauntlet on the pass, before pulling it back the way it came (aiming to smack them together again) and slam it back into its previous position even as she extended a second whip of cold energy to connect to the first and reinforce its attack.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Engage Armor Mode!

    Standard: Flux Dancer, targeting the cell with the Move Object and the Bug Woman with the damage and Affliction. All Out Attack for 4 (for real this time!). Critting on 19+. If Roy attacks the Bug Woman with a Toughness-resisted Damage or a Defense-resisted Affliction, this attack will be a Team Attack with him. The base effect would be Toughness DC 23 vs. Damage, Prowess DC 18 vs. Vulnerable/Defenseless. If a Team Attack, both effects gain Multiattack, and the Affliction also imposes Physically Dazed/Stunned. Meanwhile, using the Move Object to trigger cell movement to launch it Gauntlet-first at Livewire. Both take Toughness DC 23 vs. Damage on a hit, and since I'm moving the cell Gauntlet's stuck in I don't think she gets any check to resist. Since this is violently moving the cell, Greaves may be subject to damage at GM discretion.
    Attack Bug Lady: (1d20+12)[27]. (+5 for purposes of contributing to a Team Attack) Pretty sure that hits with +2 Multiattack (if applicable), or provides +5 as a Team Attack if applicable
    Attack Livewire (Gauntlet also damaged if this hits): (1d20+12)[20] 26. Should be a hit

    Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: DO IT AGAIN!
    Bug Lady: (1d20+12)[24]. Pretty sure that hits
    Livewire: (1d20+12)[24]. Fairly sure that hits

    Current Status: 1 Bruise (Incurable), -4 Defense this turn, Fatigued, Exhausted as of next turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-04-05 at 01:53 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Thokk_Smash's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy just barely is too slow to avoid the Bug Woman's attack. Luckily for him, he manages to take the blow on a part of his armor where several plates intersect. He feels a deep pressure on his shoulder as the woman's claws impact--yet the sharp implements fail to pierce through to his skin.

    "Nice try, Weaver pet," he says as he shifts Iridium Medley once more. "I've felt worse coming from my mists-damned teacher; why do you think I'd be scared of you?"

    Still, his heart isn't in the banter. The electricity saturating the air is keeping him pinned. He can't get to the edge of the wall if he wanted to. "Connor, Serhe, we've got Lady Many-eyes," he says as he times his pistols' blasts with his sister's crackling energy whips. He focuses on entrapping the insectoid woman in a solid cage of glue, if he can't knock her unconscious before.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Swap to Violane Verse. This is the last round of Roy's Power Stunt, tho the only difference is after this round the Half-Immunity will be toward Elementalist.

    Move action: Attempt to Demoralize Bug Woman, -5 for Move action: (1d20+7)[26]

    Standard action: Team Attack with Erica with Violane Verse, AoA/PA for 5. (1d20+10)[16] Re-rolled for 23vs DC 28+Multiattack Damage, DC 23+Multiattack Defense vs Dazed/Stunned (Physical actions only) and vs being trapped in a Create of glue.

    Free action: Homing comes back around for Livewire: (1d20+6)[18] Def missed vs DC 30 Toughness Damage

    End of Round: Fortitude to throw off Visually Impaired: (1d20+8)[25] Well, at least I got that off

    Status: Fatigued, -5 Defenses
    HP: 1
    Luck: 1/4
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2018-04-06 at 12:22 AM.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Got it! Serhe shouts, blinking rapidly as he tries to adjust to the light that had just returned. He'd panicked when he felt one person slip out of his grasp but, somehow, the grey-robed man had managed to remove himself from the fight. Sometimes luck was on his side, apparently.

    In any case, Serhe tries to charge forward, only to find that the storm was making movement difficult. With a grunt Serhe focuses as much of his Enhancement on his legs as he can spare, before sprinting forward and unnatural speeds, quickly getting within line of sight of Livewire and, after his eyes briefly flash red, attempts to shut off her powers.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Power Stunt on Enhanced Body to get enough Speed to get within LoS of Livewire! Just replacing my Enhanced Strength 4 (Combat Only) should be enough.

    Nature's Bane! AoA and PA at max.
    AC: (1d20+8)[13] 25
    Nullify: (1d20+13)[28]
    Last edited by Arcran; 2018-04-06 at 06:02 PM.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM


    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Erica's whips and Roy's pellets tear long lines of fabric from the Bug Woman's bizarre costume, revealing thin strips of bone-white skin beneath; the skin is only glimpsed for a moment, however, as the remaining parts of the suit writhe and seem to grow to fill in the gaps caused by the attacks. Livewire twists and blurs rapidly as the movable cell bears down on her, somehow managing to dodge Roy's ricocheting bullet and only get clipped by the movable cell without really moving from her place. "Clever maneuver," she admits in her oddly blurred voice, "But not fast eno--"

    Gauntlet's flailing head connects with something in the blurred form of Livewire with an amusing *clunk*, and the blurriness of the villain becomes much more erratic as the cell crashes back into place against the wall, carrying the dazed Gauntlet with it. The blurry form turns back towards the Stonesmith twins--and resolves quite suddenly into a tall, athletic-looking blond woman with familiar-looking red-gold eyes and long, flowing blond hair, currently holding one side of her head and wincing. The howling wind around the wall dies as she stumbles for a moment, seemingly surprised by her sudden slowness. "Oh--"

    Galgameth rushes forward with a stentorian roar and rips apart the stomach of Livewire's lighning-patterned yellow-and-gold suit, eliciting a clenched gasp of pain from the Elementalist villain. Livewire sinks to her knees, her head bowed.

    Connor, perhaps emulating the pro hero, leaps forward and slams one rock-laden fist into the Bug Woman's stomach; he gets a screech of anger for his efforts rather than a gasp of pain, however. "I will burn you all for this, you little--" She hisses.

    "What... are you doing?" Livewire calls up from below the wall, teeth clenched from pain as she pushes her hands into the gashes in her stomach. "The deal is... Take her... go."

    The Bug Woman grits her teeth under her insectoid mask, glaring around at her enemies with hate in her dull red-brown eyes. "Pray we don't meet again," She hisses, then leaps from the wall, her translucent wings snapping out to stabilize her as she drops.

    "Brother! No--" Gauntlet begins to cry before the Bug Woman is upon her. She scoops Gauntlet up in her arms, carrying the much larger woman awkwardly, but easily, and takes off again, flying over the wall once more and quickly dwindling from sight.

    On the ground, Livewire sighs slowly before toppling onto her side, her arms and legs going limp as she finally succumbs to the terrible wound inflicted by Galgameth and passes out.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map.

    Bug Woman

    Move Action: Shift to Gauntlet.

    Standard Action: Pick up Gauntlet.

    Move-by Action: Fly out over the wall and out of sight (several miles away).

    Turns until Lambda Cell arrives: 2.

    All PCs are up!
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Erica scowled as the Bug Woman flew off with Gauntlet. You know, even so, it was kinda hard to be disappointed with the results of the situation. They still had one of the prisoners, so whatever information they had that Crow (or whoever; she went with Crow as a default until proven otherwise) didn't want to fall into Heroic hands (she took it as a given that they had intel, maybe not that they were able to speak of, but that was by far the most reasonable explanation for Crow to have to expend this sort of effort and resources to recover them). That the prisoner they kept was the smarter of the two was icing.

    And on top of that, they had gotten two of the attempted rescuers (actually three! But she didn't know about Grey Robe having knocked himself out). Their dialog pegged them as mercenaries, so their information was likely limited, but still. They were additional sources, and frankly Erica kinda doubted Gauntlet and Greaves had been part of any inner circle themselves, so the mercs might be just as valuable as them (and one of them was another mental paragon, who might know more than he was supposed to know). In any event, in terms of "bad guys in custody and information sources available" this whole thing had been a net gain. So, actually a pretty good job, for a group of students backing up a lone Hero.

    ...But this was Erica Stonesmith. And if she had learned anything so far in her short time at Hope Academy, it's that you do not settle for a "pretty good job" when you can strive for Ultimate Victory.

    Unless one of her teammates had a more immediate way to go after them, Erica pulled a couple of the basic energy crystals out of her powered armor, and set to immediate work enchanting them. She was tired, had already spent a lot of energy, but the enchantment was pretty simple and she concentrated on it intently. "Roy can- enhance with- I'll enchant it to- if we can work it-" she spoke rapidly with her brother in partial sentences, about a third of the conversation happening verbally, a third telepathically, and the other third just not even needing to be said because that was how they rolled!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless anyone has better ideas, enchanting a Tracking Infravision device. With rushing, Artifice Quickness, and Routine checks, this'll take ten minutes, five with a Team Check from Roy for another instance of rushing.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Serhe turns off his Elementalist nullifying powers as he sees the Bug Woman trying to fly away, rapidly switching to Enhancer powers, only for her to vanish from sight far more quickly than he could hope to lock on. Technically, they'd won, but the last member of the group escaping left a rather sour taste in Serhe's mouth.

    As Erica states her plan aloud, Serhe just nods. Got it! I'll try to wrap things up here! Serhe says, still moving at a rapid rate due to his Enhanced legs, darting over towards one of the unconscious guards and looking for any sort of restraints. If he finds any, he attempts to restrain Livewire with her arms behind her back, and repeats the process for as many of the unconscious villains as possible, before moving them together so they are in one central area and easily watchable.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM


    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Thokk_Smash's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy's already moving to support Erica's efforts. He has several Flux crystals out, but his main contribution is modulating the flow of their energies into the proper forms. "If we just- only need a few- this one's ready, gimme the other-"

    Roy only spares one or two glances at where the bug woman had disappeared toward. Part of him wants to force his visor's Flux crystals into the configuration they need, then track down the bug woman immediately. But he knows that this is the smarter play. Gotta wait for backup. And besides, they've got half of the mercs, and one of the two prisoners still around! Not too shabby!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Routined Team Check to provide +5 for Erica.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •