New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: [PTU] The Charizard Knights II: Shards of Divergence

Aloriana definitely didn't like the idea of splitting up in this place, but she trusted Satomi and Neils to understand the mystical side of things. She sighed and shrugged her shoulders as she walked up next to Neils. "Well, I suppose just holler if something bad happens. I dunno if we'll hear it, but I guess the Mountain has some kind of plan?"

"Oh, and as much as I don't like my nightmares or past or whatever, I'm more afraid at what I might find in Neils' so if you don't mind Chri, please light the other brazier. Besides, if I do see the future, maybe I can compare it to the one I saw earlier in a dream. You know, the one where Lance was invading?"
    At the command, Chriantha strides over to the other brazier and let's out a tiny jet of flame in it's direction. Aloriana braces herself by once again summoning her golem armor to surround her body.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Neils' eyebrows rose at Aloriona's comment. Did they really see him as that psychologically messed up of a person? He supposed that he did just conjure a skull out of dream mist, but that was all theater.

And they don't even know the important bits yet ... Moprheus said, curling his tail around Neil's leg to comfort him.

Well I suppose it was for the best, Neils thought. No use in letting them see my encounter with Darkrai if I don't have to.

But he didn't say anything to the group, maintaining his silence, though only a fool would think of him as stoic at the moment.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the wonderful avatar.

Aatos My medieval pokemon setting.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

Johto: Guardians of Legends as Julius Varro

World at War (PTA) as Francis May

GM of Exploring Aatos a Medieval PTA game.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

"I suppose those pairings will work," Satomi says, watching the left-hand tunnel with interest as Chriantha lights the brazier. Provided all our companions stay awake, Gilgamesh grumbles, eyeing Erebus. "Lead on, then, Ronan-san."
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

When Chriantha sets fire to the brazier, a flame that seems to shift between silver, white, and a deep orange appears, with the silver dominating the flame ever-so-slightly. As that happens, the hall to the left reacts in a similar way to the other, with a multitude of shapes becoming barely visible in the flames. While the scene isn't one that Aloriana personally witnessed, it is almost instantly apparent what it is. A woman that looks frighteningly like Aloriana is whirling around, blade in hand, cutting down shadowy, barely corporeal shapes. She appears to be running as well, but whether it's away from something or towards something is difficult to discern. The woman is cutting down the creatures at a frightening pace, but it seems no matter how many she bests there is always another to take its place.

Ronan and Satomi

When you make your way into the tunnel, you're relieved to find that, as expected, the flames seem to carry no heat. Rather, they simply seem to be a way to illustrate whatever scene is taking place. As you approach the figures, more and more becomes visible. The boy looks very similar to Ronan, although he carries himself with a confidence and grace that Satomi has never witnessed in the boy. You can see a handful of unconscious Pokemon on the ground, as well as what appears to be a Nidoking slowly trying to struggle back to his feet.

The creature, at this distance, is quite obviously an Emboar, and a prime specimen at that. You would place it slightly taller than a typical member of its species, but considerably heavier. Its tusks are also much larger than is typical, and curve into vicious points that, at this distance, appear to be dripping a dark liquid that you can only assume is blood.

Despite the pitched battle taking place between the two, there is now complete silence in the tunnel save for your own breathing.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, to be fit enough to swing a sword, Neils sighed as he began walking towards the flames. Shall we see if these are those ever-so-elusive creatures from your past? Still, if my mind is the one to be scared of,
    then this shouldn't be a problem ... right Aloriona?
    There was a hint of bitterness to his voice, even though he tried to hide it.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Halfling in the Playground

Ronan makes his way down the tunnel, a gallows walk if ever there had been one. He isn't surprised or shocked by the scene the arrive upon, but he's even more tightly wound than usual. Erebus comes to a stop when Ronan does and leans forward to peer at the doppelganger, then back to Ronan. The Charmeleon sniffs the air and the cuff of Ronan's sleeve. Ronan's fingers curl and twitch near the rest of his apricorns. "Well, this is the past. I certainly remember this." His voice is even and flat. "No need for the reminder."

Erebus snuffles.

"I appreciate the thought, but if you had been there, you would have just been one more body in the dirt." Ronan strolls forward and Erebus clatters along behind him. "Come along. This is ancient history - and it plays out the way you suspect."

7. - Top - End - #127

RedKnightGirl

The scene displayed in the flames was not entirely unfamiliar to Aloriana. For some reason it waa nice to be heading into the realms of her nightmares. That was at least a known horror. The thought of perhaps getting more details about that night pulled at her curiosity. It made her wonder.

Will I get to kill my mother's murderer?

Neils' remark ended that train of thought before she could reflect how disturbing it was in her head. "I didn't mean it like that. I'm scared just walking through this cave. What could could someone who reads dreams be afraid of? I can't even imagine."
    Last edited by CateranEnforcer; 2018-01-31 at 07:45 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Satomi follows along behind Ronan, her eyes alight with interest as he names this as part of his past. Are we actually in the past, or simply viewing it? she muses to herself, watching the battle. If we are truly present, perhaps we can see what changes can be made...

Beside her, Gilgamesh rumbles out a low warning. Satomi smiles slightly at him. Nothing major, of course; we are not ready to face another Time Beast yet. We did establish that small changes have negligible effects to time magic when we were in prehistory, however, so now may be time to experiment. Satomi leaves Ronan to his thoughts as they walk and observe, keeping her silence. Even if she had been someone who knew what to say at times like this, she didn't know him well enough to say anything.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2018-02-01 at 06:57 PM.
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Nightmares are only scary when you can't control them. For me, looking into other people's dreams is simply walking into a world where I can change things at my whim. It would be like you walking into a battle with Ratata.

But I suppose I see your point. I'm not exactly the picture of a pleasant personality.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2018-02-01 at 07:26 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Ronan and Satomi

As the two of you get closer and closer to the scene that is playing out before you, it seems to move forward in painful slow motion. Slight wisps of shadows coil around the two figures, making the entire scene play out through a haze that adds and eerie aura to the whole scene.

You both can only watch Ronan lunges with a long spear at the giant, obese Emboar, only for the attack to bounce harmlessly off to the side, leaving the obviously younger Ronan wide open for a counter attack. The Emboar lets out a triumphant roar as it lunges forward, massive scything tusk seeking Ronan's heart. As the two of you flinch in anticipation of the hit, the entire scene freezes, held still in time.

The other Ronan, who was previously facing the great Emboar, slowly begins to turn to face you, his head twisting even as his body remains completely still. After a moment, his head is facing entirely backwards while his body remains facing the Emboar, much like a Noctowl. As he finishes turning, his mouth begins to move and a ghastly echo of Ronan's voice fills the tunnel.

Where were you? Why were you not beside me? It is unclear who the past version of Ronan is talking to.

Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Neils and Aloriana

The two of you slowly make your way into the mists, noting that it seems to shift color every time it brushes against Aloriana, creating an earth-tone rainbow around the young Knight. As the two of you approach the figures, Neils momentarily mistakes it for Aloriana, until he can see a few more details. A hair taller, a few more wrinkles, and moving with a grace that Aloriana still lacked, if only barely.

Aloriana's mother moved liked a whirlwind, blade twisting and turning even as shadowy figures leapt from the corners of the mist at her. Every movement was measured, focused, wasting not a single movement. At this distance, you can make out the sea of sweat pouring from her forehead as she pushes her self to her absolute limits to keep up with the horde of shadows. You approach more quickly, but don't have time to do more than cry out as a shadow leaps at Aloriana's mother's back, exposing the smallest hole in her defenses.

Before the attack lands, the shades freeze, and the head of the shadow about to strike down Aloriana's mother turns towards you, mouth stretching into an unnatural grin.

Too ssslow once, too ssslow again, the shadow croons, eyes flaring red in the grey-brown mist. You can't sssave her, even once she is already dead.

Show

12. - Top - End - #132

Ronan watches the scene with that same feigned disinterest. When the tusks pierce his heart - his other heart - he touches two fingers to his chest as if to check that it's still beating. And then the vision starts to twist and warp. Ronan pauses mid-step and recoils back. He can hardly take his eyes away, as grotesque as the vision is, and he roots to the spot. Erebus takes him by the cuff of his sleeve and keeps walking forward as if to drag the boy along.

The voice, his own, fills his ears. Ronan closes his eyes and covers them with his hands. "I haven't heard-" He stops himself and starts again, "Is that the game, then? Alright." Erebus looks back and quirks his head. Ronan drags his fingers down his face with his breath. "Where were you? Run ahead, all alone, like always, and act like it's anyone's fault but your own. Typical. Look at the mess you made. Still picking up the pieces, all these years later."

Ronan.

"Selfish idiot. Apologies, Satomi." Ronan starts walking again, to get past the scene.

13. - Top - End - #133

RedKnightGirl

Aloriana felt a strange sort of comfort wandering into moments from her mother's past, if that's what they really were and not just how she imagined it. At the very least, it seemed that there was no danger to her and Neils as they watched the figure of her mother fighting off the shadow creatures. "I know you said we weren't dreaming, but there's still no one I'd rather have here wading through my nightmares." She mostly meant it, if anyone could help her analyze her thoughts, Neils could. Besides, she felt that her earlier comments had offended the other knight.

By the time the creature spoke to them, Aloriana had pushed some of her fear aside in favor of apprehension. Perhaps it helped to know the fate of her mother. The shadow was certainly creepy, but its words failed to move her. "I've had years to cope with my mother's death, creature. I wasn't meant to save her then; I was a scared little girl. Now I've come back, and I won't let you stop me!"

Lori and Chri both assumed a ready stance, steely armor and scales glinting in the dim light.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

When confronted by the creature, Neils still couldn't shake the feeling that this felt like one of his dream tests. A creature that looks like her mom, the scene from the past, the wide grin ... it all just felt so much like something he would do. Maybe I should be taking lessons. he thought to Morpheus.

Still, he followed Alorionna's lead. It was her past. Who was he to interfere? He pressed a button and Zepar appeared. Neils felt some irritated thoughts filtering his way, but Zepar eventually decided that he hadn't inflicted much pain recently, what with the team being so large. A fight would do him some good.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

"No need to apologize, Ronan-san," Satomi says softly, watching the scene with a more academic interest now that it seems apparent that they aren't actually in the past. "All people have ghosts that haunt their past." She follows along as Ronan walks away, alert for any change in the "past" Ronan's behavior.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Ronan and Satomi

I understand, the shade says, a note of humility coming to the other Ronan's voice coming through, even as the head twists unnaturally to continue tracking you. I hurt you so many times. But please, don't leave. I don't want to be alone this time, the voice pleads.

For old times' sake.

Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Aloriana and Neils

A fight? Already? the shade asks, the smile vanishing for a moment. I know thingsss, thingsss that will let you make things right. You sssseem in a rush though, so perhapsss I should jussst cut to the chasssse, the spirit continues, the wide grin slowly returning, the creature's clawed hand inches from your mother's neck.

Would you like to know who ssslew your mother?

Show

18. - Top - End - #138

Ronan stops again, and his features soften. A hand goes back over the top of his head with his fingers spread through his hair. Erebus stops pulling at his sleeve, but he clicks and growls until Ronan shushes him. He turns to walk towards the shade. "No one wants to be alone. Not like this."

With a huff, he stoops down onto his knees in front of his former self. "I'd gladly die a thousand more times if it could change the past - but what's done is done. For everything you did wrong, and for everything you did right, thank you." One hand reaches out touch the other Ronan and take him by the arm, to lay him comfortably to rest. "Sleep, Ronan."

19. - Top - End - #139

RedKnightGirl

While she was prepared for a fight, Aloriana hoped it wouldn't come to that. Still, the creature did her pause with its last comment. Would I like to know? What does it mean it can set things right?

She did want to know. She might even kill him.

Still, her recent adventure had eroded her trust. Instead, she turned to Neils,"Do you think we can trust this....thing? Whatever it is..."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Probably not, Neils said. Generally speaking, someone with your interests at heart will ask before digging around inside your memories. He sighed, considering the creature.

Of course, that doesn't mean that whatever this things tell you isn't true, but I wouldn't consider it a reliable source of information. Double check everything before you act on it. He shrugged slightly and gave an apologetic look to his friend. He didn't have nearly enough information to be able to say. And despite the similarities, this was not a dream. There were likely different rules than he was used to playing by.

Let me ask you something, he asked to the creature. Why should we trust you?
    What can you give us as assurances of your good intentions?

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

"Hold, Ronan-san." Satomi's voice is calm and steady, her eyes fixed on the "past Ronan" before them. "Remember, we are still in a tunnel filled with hostile spirits. This may be a shade, but it is not a shade of you. It has some purpose for delaying us; given where we are, it is unlikely that said purpose is benign."

She continues looking at the shade, eyeing it like a strange warped fossil she found in the depths of a cave. "I do not believe that I register in this shade's perception; it has addressed and responded to you alone. This may be a trap designed for you, or else a test. If a test, then we have two questions: who is creating the test, and why? The first will be important in the future, but the second is more pressing; if we knew the answer, the way forward would be clear." Satomi stops and shakes herself slightly, a faint note of chagrin entering her voice. "Apologies; I am rambling. I do not think that touching the shade is advisable at this time."
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Satomi and Ronan

Ronan continues to reach out his arm, completely ignoring Satomi's warning. When he does, the other Ronan flinches at the pain of contact but, somehow, despite appearing to be made of flames, is solid to the touch, and takes your hand, wincing as he lays down further.

I'm sorry, I just don't know you, the other 'Ronan' states, glancing towards Satomi. Please, can you help? Time, I need more time. I can't die yet...

Spoiler: Ronan Only
    Show
    Focus check from Ronan please!

Spoiler: Under 14
    Show
    You haven't seen this part of you in a very, very long time. All you want to do is hold 'Ronan' close. He's in so much pain, but surely Satomi could help with that?

Spoiler: 14+
    Show
    As you touch the other Ronan, you hear a faint I'm sorry, and feel a wave of magic wash over you. Somehow you manage to resist it, but you can feel your body being drawn almost magnetically towards 'Ronan.'

Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Aloriana and Neils

I don't touch memoriesss, the creature whispers, almost indignantly. My master knowsss all, teachesss all. Even knowsss of you, Neilsss, the ghost whispers. Did you tell your friendsss why you go to Yume? Master hearsss all, oh yes she doesss, the shade says, the grin growing wide. Impresssive, very impresssive, the creature intones.

Good intentionsss? I know thingsss about Yume. Thingsss you would like to know, the specter says, grinning widely. Thingsss that could make everything fall around your drowsssy little earsss.

Show

24. - Top - End - #144

Ronan hears Satomi's warning, but it goes unheeded. For all that it looks like a trap, and for all he knows that he shouldn't stray any further, he can't help himself. A flash of surprise crosses his face when he touches the other Ronan and he's real - or, if not real, at least actually there, with mass and form. Not the same as skin and bone, but something he can touch. Erebus gnashes his teeth at the thought.

"I...thought this would be easier. Watching this happen, again, here in front of me, when I think of it so often. Satomi," he takes his eyes away from the other Ronan to glance at his companion, "You're a healer, right? Can't you - what if we're meant to play along? Change how things happened. You could save him. Or...or try, better than I ever could."

25. - Top - End - #145

RedKnightGirl

"Don't let it get to you, you don't have to answer its questions," Aloriana tells Neils."I don't think we should indulge the little creep. He's just messing with us. But he's getting on my nerves." The girl pats Chriantha on the head. "He did pretend to attack Mom though, so I'm not in a good mood as it is..."

The Charmeleon growls, getting the hint. Do you want me to see if has a taste?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Satomi looks over the scene, a spark of pity appearing in her eyes before she covers it under resolve. "I am sorry, Ronan-san. If this was the past, a change of such magnitude would draw forces that neither of us would be able to overcome." She shakes her head, looking at the point where the two Ronans are touching. "What do you mean, you need more time? Time has frozen here. If you have something to say, you may do so. If you have something to do, it is beyond our power to affect that change. What, precisely, are you asking for?"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

There wasn't much color in Neils' face to begin with, but what little there was blanched out when the creature began speaking of Yume. How on earth? he thought, shifting from foot to foot restlessly. Even Morpheus displayed an unusual display of agitation at the news.

Nobody is supposed to know about Yume. he thought. And if this creature's master had found out ...

And now she knows too. Morpheus thought. You humans think that secrets last forever. Even a Venasaur reveals its petals eventually. He said the idiom matter-of-factly, though Neils couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

Feeling torn, Neils reached out to see if he could connect with the creature. Are you a Pokemon, he thought to himself, or something more sinister?

This master of yours, Neils said nonchalantly. I don't suppose she'd happen to be the lady of the mountain, whose eternal flames feed the island's life? It was possible, though unlikely, and he hoped the question would lure the creature into revealing some more information. Neils now had a vested interest in getting information out of this creature. His secret was at stake.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2018-02-18 at 08:07 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Ronan and Satomi

As Satomi refuses to heal the other Ronan, he winces in pain. Please, the shadowy figure pleads, as you begin to watch the giant Emboar begin to move as if in slow motion. Please help me!

A note of panic has entered the boy's voice.

At least let me see Valor again. Maybe he will help me! the figure begs Ronan, tears streaming down his eyes.

Spoiler: Intuition DC 14
    Show
    The boy's panic doesn't seem altogether authentic, even from the little interaction you've had with him so far. That, coupled with the timing of the scene beginning to move once again, seems a bit too convenient.

Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Aloriana and Neils

There is a long, pregnant pause after you ask the creature who it's master was. Finally, the creature grins, and answers.

Why of courssse, the shade says. If I were not, would I be able to come this deep beneath The Mountain? Surely she would defend herself!

Spoiler: Intuition DC 10
    Show
    The creature is lying through it's shimmering, ghostly teeth.

Spoiler: Neils
    Show
    It takes a bit of effort, but you manage to force your way into the creature's mind quite easily. Once inside, you are quick to realize that, while still obviously Pokemon-like, it wasn't entirely such. It was most akin to tapping into Zepar or Styx's mind, where the basic Pokemon instincts and emotions are coated in a shiny layer of sentience.

The last hour of the creature's mind is rather uneventful, at least to start. The last forty minutes or so have simply been the creature lying in wait, eagerly watching the brazier towards the front of the tunnel. Before that, however, you are able to see the battle from earlier unfold, with this creature apparently watching from just outside the Charmeleon's revealing light.

Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcran View Post
    Aloriana and Neils

There is a long, pregnant pause after you ask the creature who it's master was. Finally, the creature grins, and answers.

Why of courssse, the shade says. If I were not, would I be able to come this deep beneath The Mountain? Surely she would defend herself!

Spoiler: Intuition DC 10
    Show
    The creature is lying through it's shimmering, ghostly teeth.

Spoiler: Neils
    Show
    It takes a bit of effort, but you manage to force your way into the creature's mind quite easily. Once inside, you are quick to realize that, while still obviously Pokemon-like, it wasn't entirely such. It was most akin to tapping into Zepar or Styx's mind, where the basic Pokemon instincts and emotions are coated in a shiny layer of sentience.

The last hour of the creature's mind is rather uneventful, at least to start. The last forty minutes or so have simply been the creature lying in wait, eagerly watching the brazier towards the front of the tunnel. Before that, however, you are able to see the battle from earlier unfold, with this creature apparently watching from just outside the Charmeleon's revealing light.
    Neils rolled his eyes. Now that he knew that this thing was a Pokemon, he knew that it was a creature he could deal with. Well he thought so at least. It was entirely possible that he was wrong, but he felt more in his element than if it had been one of the pseudo-monsters that Yearn had been.

I appreciate that you have the decency to lie to me, but if you plan on being deceitful, at least do it well. He wasn't sure if he was happy that this creature wasn't one with the mountain or not, but it was good to know.

I hope that you'll consider being more honest in the future if you'd rather avoid a fight though. If you know anything about us, and it seems like you do from what you know and your little adventure haunting the hallways waiting for us, honesty is probably the best policy.

And nobody specializes in half-lies more than me.

So let's be candid. How do you know about Yume?
    He was painfully aware that Alorionna would be very curious about his little secret, but nipping this in the bud was much, much more important. His cult wasn't strong enough to withstand any sort of pressure, and if people already had their noses sniffing around it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intuition as Charm (6d6+2)[20] via Mystic Senses

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show