The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Gundam: Wrath of the Stars IC

Agrias flicks through the data available along with the other lieutenant. Like war with an overwhelming alien force wasn't enough to deal with.

"No question so far. We survey the potential buyers and devise a plan accordingly to their identy and numbers."

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

Lt. IVan Tessera

"Excellent... now do we have a place where we can pick up some civilian clothes?"
    IVan asks. "Frankly, we would stick out in uniform, and I don't own anything else."
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2019-10-16 at 07:34 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

3. - Top - End - #813

NinjaGuy

"Sounds like a plan. Oh, before you go, a couple of other things: first, you'll want this." Director Skye reaches into a pocket and withdraws a handheld cube reader, though this one is a little different than standard. "You'll be able to view the basic contents of the cubes with this, so you'll be able to verify that what they're selling is the real deal. Secondly, and this is unrelated to your current mission, but I wanted to inform you that once we reach Consortium space, Anaheim's considerable resources will be at your disposal. If there are modifications, or upgrades you feel would help make your Gundams more effective in battle, please do let me know. We've already started reverse-engineering some of the weapons the enemy are now using, so upgrading your suits' beam weaponry may be on the table once we reach Consortium space."

She pauses, thinking for a moment.

"I think one of the quartermasters might be able to help you with that, Mr. Tessera. I'd speak to them, I'm sure they can find you something suitable."

"Very well, then." Captain Brighton says with a nod. Once Athrusa's back in the Nephilim's cockpit, she'll get a brief comm call from Captain Brighton.

"They've set up a myriad of targets along their training field. I'm shunting the data through the link. Destroy them however you'd like."

Target data pops up across the Nephilim's radar display, showing dozens of targets scattered over the field. Some of them are hiding in training bunkers, or taking cover behind mock buildings. There are a number of ways to approach the groups, some flashier than others, some faster than others, but all can showcase the Nephilim's speed and maneuverability if Athrusa approaches them right.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Athrusa will need to roll an approach for how she chooses to handle the target course.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

4. - Top - End - #814
    Troll in the Playground

"You got it, Yuuki," Athrusa answers her fellow pilot. Then she hears Captain Brighton's voice and looks towards the data, sizing it up for a moment. How should she handle it... of course, she should be handling it with her specialty - speed and agility.

The Nephilim's eyes light up as its wings spread -- a cascade of translucent molting "feathers" billowing over the airfield (but harmless to whoever it passes over, as it's largely a light phenomenon) -- and she rises into the air and towards the battlefield.

What would Kaydara do? She thinks of her predecessor a little. Perhaps that's her way of honouring someone who probably lived in a much more different time than her. Someone who understood this mobile suit.

"Nephy, show me the way..." she whispers, and zips on through -- though the buster rifle was impressive, it's got obvious flaws such as its highly limited e-pac; and the Shura can show destruction on a wider scale, unimpeded by I-fields. No, what she's going to show here is the remarkable mobility that exists in the suit, even not at its full power. For once, Athrusa feels fairly comfortable with her heightened sense of awareness as an Artificial Ragalian. The winged suit literally cuts corners at angles most pilots would pause and think twice at; seamlessly, she moves between a strafing machine cannon assault and weaves into a beam saber strike, only to twist and use the Gai-Sura's arm to wrench and crush a target directly behind her.

I'm starting to be able to make use of the Nephy's reaction speed... slowly, you and I are able to move as one, Nephy.

The last run. She'll push the Nephilim to its current limits. Rather than waste time dodging the simulated salvo on the run-up to the final target, the Nephilim does something curious -- its legs twist and reconfigure, and its wings flatten a little to a single plane as she mimicks the technically disabled Neo Bird Mode transformation. And with the mobile suit more like aircraft, she zips forward, bracing against the additional forces as best she can as she reaches the target--

"Mission complete."

--and sends a quick blast from the buster rifle as a capstone finish.

Show
    I'm going to use the Quick approach here and also invoke Creatively Repaired to indicate that the technicians have done just enough to mimick the flight mode despite it being a feature it can't reach right now!

(4d3-2)[7]

5. - Top - End - #815

NinjaGuy

The assembled generals look suitably impressed with the Nephilim. A few look quite satisfied, and others seem very surprised that the cobbled together antique can perform so well.

Captain Brighton just smiles, and looks to the Shura, her voice coming over the comm.

"You should go next, Yuuki."

The generals collect themselves and nod as the targets reset themselves and randomize into new locations. A moment later, targeting data comes over the link for Yuuki.

Show
    Same deal, choose an approach and go for it!
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ettin in the Playground

"Roger, Captain. Any observers, be wary of danger close."

Yuuki scrambles back up into the cockpit of the Shura and dogs it down behind her. As the targeting data begins to fill her computer screen she instructs it to begin finding firing solutions, sets the thrusters to high and begins to raise her Gundam into the air.

She knows that without Athrusa's artificially enhanced reflexes or the Nephilim's maneuvrability, she's going to have to take a different tack if she wants to impress the surrounding officers. Yuuki sighs as she hears the soft chime indicating solid lock-ons and mutters under her breath, "I really hope this is worth it for the ammo I'm going to blow." The Shura lifts its gatling gun and beam shotgun to bear on a few of the closest targets. Just before she pulls the trigger, purely for the theatrical effect, Yuuki blasts off all the covers on her missile batteries at once and then hammers home the launch button.

Her Gundam leaps into action in a riot of smoke and lasers, blasting off close to fifty missiles in a single salvo. Yuuki directs her beam weaponry at softer targets, chewing rapid-fire holes in the closest bunkers and blasting away at any target that might have presented an unobstructed shot from where she brought the Gundam to a halt. The ship-killer missiles blast their way through bunker walls and building supports. Homing missiles follow behind, weaving around mock buildings and detonating on the targets. All told, a vast wave of explosions washes over the test course, leaving destruction in its wake.

As the last missile detonates, the only noises still audible are the loud whirr of the Shura's gatling laser winding down and the roar of its exhaust. "Will that serve as a demonstration, General?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Forceful and spending a Fate point to invoke Brick Wall of Death.

(4d3-3)[2]
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

Lt. IVan Tessera

IVan accepts the cube reader. "Excellent. I'll drop Anaheim a line when I have a moment. The prototype could use structural reinforcements and a few tweaks to the AMBAC systems," he says, partially pondering to himself. "I'll get ready for the mission," he says to Agrias, "I'll meet you in the airlock when we dock."

With that, IVan heads to the quartermaster to find something to wear. He's been in the military for as long as he can remember, so he's used to wearing uniforms. It's difficult to keep up with fashion with a career like his, even given the slow pace of fashion in space. It's almost like it's perpertually trapped in the 80's, for one reason or another.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

8. - Top - End - #818

Agrias heads out along her fellow officer. Her head filled with the images of IVan doing an anime-style fashion montage trying to find the right casual outfit.

She chuckles without any visible reasons as he sets up a meeting point "A quick change and I'll be there waiting for you." A good thing about having been already loaded on the ship during the escape is that she has all of her stuff onboard, including civilian clothing.

9. - Top - End - #819

NinjaGuy

The generals seem thoroughly impressed by the time Yuuki is finished, and gather together into a huddle after the demonstration has finished. Captain Brighton looks on with an amused look.
    After a moment, several of the generals nod, and they all turn back towards Captain Brighton. One of them smiles and extends a hand, which Captain Brighton takes and shakes, with a pleased smile. They exchange a few more words as the generals begin to scatter, before Captain Brighton turns speaks into her comlink, as she grabs the winch handle for the Sazabi's cockpit.

"Good work, you two. Let's head back to the Vengeance, this went better than expected and I need to regroup a little. How are you on ammo, Yuuki?"

The quartermaster eyes IVan for a moment, then nods.

"I've got some stuff you can use. If you get a chance, sir, you really should pick up some civvy's while we've got the chance. No telling when we might be able to dock again. But I know you're on a short timetable right now."

He leads IVan back to a small cache of civilian clothes.

"Fashion in NHK tends to run the gamut, since you can have pretty much anyone from anywhere turn up." He pauses for a moment, before pulling out a small stack of clothes. "These should fit you and be relatively inconspicuous, though."

Show
    I'll let you describe the outfit you end up with, Snowbluff.

Once Agrias arrives at the airlock, she can see the security perimeter the Vengeance's small Marine contingent have erected. Sergeant Grahn is quite obvious among the Marines, making rounds and checking with guards regularly. He also seems to know who's leaving and returning, and where they're going, either way, as he directs several people with gestures, and words that can't be heard at this distance. If anyone in the ship's contingent will be able to help them figure out where to find this group of theives, it will probably be him.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa is cheering brightly for Yuuki as she claps a few times, inside. When they're back together over the comms, she excitedly says, "That was an incredible show to watch, Yuuki! I know they'll be really dazzled by that. I think you've taught me a thing or two about how to handle weapon recoil, even."

She looks towards the Sazabi. Hmm, the Shura is probably running low on ammo, but the Nephilim is a bit better on that front. She still has buster rifle ammo and the sabers and claw don't consume much.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ettin in the Playground

Yuuki sighs in relief as the officers seem to approve of her run. "Thanks Athrusa," she replies, laughing a little at the other girl's excitement. "I don't really know how much of that you should praise me for, though, since Shura did most of the work."

"I'm not too bad off, Captain." She glances down at her readouts and taps a few buttons to bring up the right data. "I made sure not to use more than half of the missiles. And it looks like I've got...about 65% capacity left in the energy tanks."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

12. - Top - End - #822

As Agrias walks to the airlock she calls out for the Sergeant, "Sergeant Grahn, if you have a moment. I was told you were the one to see if I wanted a few infos. Privately if possible." She was hoping to see Grahn with IVan present but she might as well ask him for info while waiting.

She waits for the Sergeant to free himself up to ask about the different groups. The Red Devil pirate gang first and the Gemosha second. She notes down the info that he can provide as best as she can in case IVan doesn't make it in time.

13. - Top - End - #823

NinjaGuy

Captain Brighton is quiet for a moment as she gets herself settled into Sazabi's cockpit. Then she comes back onto the comm.

"When we get back, have your teams fill any expended ammo, both of you. We'll be getting enough here to fill our stores, so no reason not to fill back up."

Sazabi powers up, and leads the group back towards the Vengeance's docking bay. As they draw near, she comes back over the comm.

"Meet me in the ready room in half an hour. I need to make a few calls before we can do anything more."

Sergeant Grahn makes his way towards the airlock after Agrias calls for him, dismissing several of the Marines in the process. He stops a respectful distance from Agrias and gives her a quick, but respectful salute.

"Was told to expect you, Ma'am. Though, I had thought you was supposed to be two of you. You're looking for info on those groups they think stole those plans, right? Who do you want to start with?"

14. - Top - End - #824
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa lands with the others and gives a salute to the Captain, as she docks the Nephilim and quietly pauses inside to pat it on the console. "Good work, Nephy."

She slips on out with a wave to the tech crews, giving them a short lowdown of what happened; she also offers them a video of the demonstration, as a sort of showcase and thank-you for their hard work getting the suit where it is. Then it's off to a quick check up with Nurse Celeste regarding her wounds, and if she's still fresh enough to go... she arrives at the ready room.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ettin in the Playground

Yuuki waves her own crew over once they've all landed back in the Vengeance and relays the Captain's orders.

Her own rundown of the events on the station includes a few apologies to them about her continued waste of ammo and a promise to be better about it in the future, but otherwise she relates largely the same information as Athrusa did. She grabs a short shower once she leaves the hangar and then is off to the ready room.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

16. - Top - End - #826

Returning the salute she nods at the Sergeant, ''My partner for the operation should arrive soon. For now let's start with the Red Devil gang, I was told those pirates might just be the biggest suspect. The Gemosha second."

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

Lt. IVan Tessera

IVan does, in fact, arrive just them, looking incredibly uncomfortable in jeans and a yellow turtleneck until a blue jacket. He's fidgeting with the collar, somehow uncomfortable with his neck be constricted despite both his normal suit and uniform being constrictive in that area.

"Indeed, pirate sound like the most likely culprit,"
    IVan says, butting in. "Am I adequately disguised?" he asks offhandedly. His shaggy, beyond regulation length, black hair combine certainly lessens the soldierly look in his unnaturally purple eyes, but how much of an effect this is having is unclear to him.

18. - Top - End - #828

NinjaGuy

Athrusa and Yuuki are both assured that their suits and their performance was fine by their respective crews. Celeste's examination takes only a few moments, before the nurse gives Athrusa the thumbs-up and heads off to tend to other duties for the time being. When the pair reach the ready room, they find Captain Brighton staring irritably at one of the viewscreens, which goes dark as they enter. She sighs and turns to look at the pair for a moment, before pinching the bridge of her nose and practically flopping into the nearest chair.

"It never ends. How are you two doing?"

Grahn eyes IVan for a minute, and sketches a salute before nodding.

"Think you'll do just fine, sir. The Red Devils run a number of front businesses here, and have a sizeable presence on-station. The most likely location is Deadwood Arms, in sector 12. It's a gun shop, but there's also a restaurant next door, so it's a popular hangout for members of the gang at any level, and folks there will tend to keep their ears to the ground about any sort of big deals going down. Lady who runs the place goes by the handle "Sharky". She's probably your best chance to find out if they're involved, but be careful."

He scratches his head above his ear for a moment.

"The Gemosha also have a sizable presence here. They're mostly active in the industrial sector, but the bosses often meet at Mama Jo's cafe in sector 8. Spying on them might be a problem; the area tends to be hostile to outsiders, even from other sectors of the station, so you might have to do some sneaking if you want to get the scoop there."

He pulls a chip out of his shirt pocket and gives it to Agrias.

"If you load that into your hand-reader, it'll give you a route to each location. We'll try and back you up as best we can, but we don't have a lot of people to spare, so try to be careful, ma'am."

19. - Top - End - #829
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa looks on with worry towards Captain Brighton when she displays signs of stress, murmuring, "Are you okay, captain...?"

A pause, as she looks down towards herself. "Um. You don't have to worry about me, at least. Nurse Celeste says I'm doing okay. If you need me to help with something, I should be functional for the rest of the day. Just let me know what I can do."

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ettin in the Playground

Yuuki looks disappointed that they didn't get a chance to see what was on the computer screen, but tries to reply quickly to cover it up. "Good enough, I guess. Has something else gone wrong with the old fogies we're trying to get on our side?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

21. - Top - End - #831

NinjaGuy

Captain Brighton shakes her head.

"Bureaucracy. The moment I report our demonstration went better than expected, they want me to try and wring more support out than what the mercs are already willing to provide. I'm saying 'nuts' to that. If they want more than what the mercs can give, they can come out here and try to beat it out of them themselves." She gives a bitter chuckle to the thought. "But, there is some good news, too. The mercs have agreed to send a couple of escort ships with us when we leave the system. They're not carriers; they can only carry two mobile suits apiece, but they're heavily armed against ships, faster, and more maneuverable than the Vengeance."

She eyes both girls for a moment, and smiles.

"You two did so well that the merc companies we demoed for are using footage of the exercise to try and rope other companies into helping us. So we may have some new recruits aboard the Vengeance when we leave. Command doesn't want pilots in the Gundams that aren't familiar with their unique systems, but we'll be getting some more technical staff, and we'll be able to fill out our Marine complement. The RA has promised them excellent compensation in return, and they're extending their in-system discount on munitions to us. That's the best they can give us, under the circumstances, and I'm not going to try and push it. So, excellent work, ladies. I can only hope the Lieutenants have such good luck."

22. - Top - End - #832
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmm... I'm really glad, on that front, at least," Athrusa answers with relief. She pauses, and then presses her hand to her chest as she remarks, "I think I learnt a manuever or two from a flashback of the past inside Nephy's system. Someone's memories, called Kaydara, from another war in the past."

She smiles a bit wider as she says, "It's good that we're able to get more friends and more protection. Hopefully that'll make things a bit easier on everyone too."

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh." Yuuki tilts her head in thought. "Well, I guess that is good news. A bigger force means that it'll be harder for the Ragalians to get close to the Vengeance once we have to engage them again. Do you know if the escort ships they're sending are actually going to have mobile suits on them?"

"And a different war, Athrusa? Could you tell if it was the first invasion?"
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2019-11-30 at 02:46 AM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Troll in the Playground

"I honestly don't know enough history to be sure, Yuuki, but..." Athrusa muses, recalling the image she saw of Kaydara's struggle. "She was fighting... Newtypes, in suits I've seen in some museum books now - I think they were Terran-made, not Ragalian." She furrows her brow and looks a bit more glum. "Maybe it predated the conflict. Gosh knows we've been fighting each other for a long time... I don't know."

25. - Top - End - #835

NinjaGuy

Captain Brighton blinks when Athrusa mentions she learned a maneuver from the Nephilim.

"That's....interesting. Your suit...showed it to you?" There's worry in her eyes, but her tone is even and curious. "On your monitors?"

26. - Top - End - #836
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa pauses as Captain Brighton asks, and she actually has to pause for a moment. "Um..." She hesitates for a moment longer. "I don't think it was on the monitor. It was more like I was... hallucinating, Captain. It's a very strange feeling to describe, in truth. I'm not a Newtype like you, Captain, but I wonder sometimes if the feeling might be similar to the sensations I've heard Newtypes describe."

27. - Top - End - #837

NinjaGuy

Now the worry is evident on Captain Brighton's face.

"Can you describe it? I might be able to help in that department."

28. - Top - End - #838
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmm... it's as if the world faded and changed around me," Athrusa recounts to the best of her ability. "But it felt really natural, like I wasn't playing with a hologram or anything. At its 'base', it was a white room. Fragments of memories, data, hovering around me... until I went a bit deeper. Then I was... experiencing the moments that others had when they piloted the machine. It's intense. It's like you can actually put yourself in their shoes. Their frustrations, their pains... everything."

She lowers her head.

"... the first memory I experienced was... Mattias'. When he died protecting me."

29. - Top - End - #839

As she loads the chip Agrias nods to Grahn. "Sector 12, Sharky got it. Thank you Sergeant, lets hope the first target has it, a whole hostile sector is not a place I wanna carry out an operation."

She looks at IVan, "Ready to get going?"

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

"That sounds really disturbing," Yuuki says, frowning. "Like it's hijacking your brain."

I have a quote!
    I like you.