The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Gundam: Wrath of the Stars IC

"...Okay, Captain," Yuuki eventually replies, barely keeping her voice under control. "How-how long do you think it'll take from when we intercept them to get to the jump point?"
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Well, normally, we'd be an hour out from the jump point, but I don't think the battle will last that long. If their suits get too far away from the ship, they won't have enough fuel to make it back, since they're having to launch with velocity in the opposite direction from the one they need to go to chase us, so they're having to spend more fuel to catch up," Captain Brighton muses, "And we're going to be using emergency boost. The battle shouldn't be much more than half an hour, perhaps 20 minutes, if our luck somehow turns around."

On the sensor readout, a few of the enemy's vanguard suits have started closing the distance, and a timer appears. 2 minutes until the suits will need to launch to intercept the enemy.

"I'll do my best to take point against them, and try to thin them out, since Sazabi is faster than either of your suits. Cover each other as best you can, and keep the ship safe above all else. We have a lot of people we care about aboard, and I'll die before I let these bastards lay even one finger on them. Failure is not an option here, ok, ladies?"

Spoiler: Pre-Battle Action
    Show
    Captain Brighton is attempting to Forcefully create an advantage by giving her pilots a reason to fight as hard as they can.
    (4d3-6)[3]

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This might work better as a Compel, but I'm not entirely sure how that would work, since there's not really much of a choice being offered. Yuuki might defend against this, which is why I haven't posted an outcome for it yet. Let me know in the OOC thread if there's a better way to work this that I'm not seeing.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-02-16 at 09:57 PM.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

"... I hadn't been shown kindness until I woke up onboard the Vengeance. And that... that kindness extends to you too, Captain," Athrusa suddenly speaks up. "I agree... I don't want to see anyone onboard die. But... that goes for you too..."

She firms her lips a moment. "I'm not accepting anything less than all of us making out of here alive...!"

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Twenty minutes... Yuuki grimaces at the number, trying not to think about how long that would be in a fight. "We'll totally be fine," she says. "Right? We beat everyone in the first sortie, after all. There's just more of them this time."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

5. - Top - End - #155

NinjaGuy

"Right. We'll give them all the hell they deserve!" Captain Brighton's determination is clear, and somewhat infectious. The enemy won't catch them, not if she has anything to do about it.

Spoiler: Advantage Created
    Show
    Spirited Defense - The Gundam team is fighting to protect their loved ones aboard the Vengeance, and they will not let the ship go down without a fight!

The timer counts down quickly. A quick perusal of the data shows the enemy pursuing in a mostly ramshackle arrowhead formation, the few units at the tip swapping positions occasionally, each seemingly eager to be the first to catch up to the Vengeance. At the 30-second warning, Captain Brighton comes over the comm once more.

"Gundam Team! Ready to launch!"

The Vengeance's catapult doors open once more, as each suit's thrusters power up once again. Klaxons blare warnings, and then there's the rush of G-Forces as Captain Brighton gives the order:

"Gundam Team! Launch!"

Spoiler: Combat Zones
    Show

This battlefield is a bit more simple than the asteroid belt. 500 meters below the current plane of travel is the surface of the enemy Worldship. Dropping to this surface means losing the velocity the suits already have and being quickly left behind. This also means that the Vengeance and the Gundam Team are moving too quickly for enemy flak turrets to track effectively. This being an otherwise empty area of space also means that there is almost no cover available; this battle will be more of a space dogfight than the fight in the asteroid field. There are three zones for this battle:

Zone A: This zone covers the first 5 kilometers surrounding the Vengeance. This area includes the effective range of the carrier's flak cannons as well. None of the enemy have made it this far yet.
    Zone B: This zone covers the next 5 kilometers from the edge of Zone A. The vanguard enemy suits have just crossed into this zone behind the Vengeance when Captain Brighton orders the Gundam Team to launch.
    Zone C: This zone represents the edge of the Gundam Team's operational range. Remaining in this Zone for more than two turns will result in being left behind for Gundam Team members, as their suits won't have enough fuel to be able to catch back up to the Vengeance before it reaches the jump point.

Show
    Let me know if you need a visual aid with the zones. We'll be in combat turn order now, which is currently the following:
    1. Athrusa
    2. Yuuki
    3. Captain Brighton
    4. The enemy suits

Both Yuuki and Athrusa have a free invoke of the advantage Captain Brighton created. I'll update the OOC in a little bit with currently active situational aspects.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa's lips thin as she feels the G-forces pulling her against her seat, like it could just crush her inside the Nephilim at any moment. The winged mobile suit flies out in a spiral, billowing feathers trailing behind her as she arms the Ragalian beam rifle. The super verniers of the suit flare into full bore, trails of light-blue flame cascading in the distance as she dutifully monitors the distance gauge. "Engaging..."

She waits until she's at the border, to best conserve the momentum the catapults have afforded them before she corrects course. She's taking the vanguard, perhaps inspired more than she is usually -- as she crosses the enemy suits and opens fire on the closest one with several leading shots.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Moving to zone B and shooting Quickly with the beam rifle! I'll take the invoke from Captain Brighton's roll, since she's inspiring me!

(4d3-3)[5]

7. - Top - End - #157

NinjaGuy

The pursuers this time are modern and well-equipped, front-line units of the Ragalian Empire, the kinds of suits the Gundams were meant to go up against. The trio at the head of the spear are somewhat different in design and armament from the older suits the team fought in the asteroid field. Still armed with beam rifles, and equipped with a few more built-in weapons, these suits are more of a threat. Still, at the end of the day, it's the pilot that ultimately can make or break the battle, and while Athrusa doesn't get the drop on these pilots, the sheer force of her attack may well startle them all the same. They scatter as she fires, breaking the loose formation they had as Athrusa's attack focuses on the lead suit.

Spoiler: Defense
    Show
    Quick, evasive maneuvers - (4d3-8)[1]

Spoiler: Outcome
    Show
    Success with Style - You may reduce damage by 1 to gain a boost.

The lead pilot, unfortunately, doesn't scatter in the right direction. Athrusa's fire rakes over his suit, and it explodes a split second later. Although his comrades were expecting a fight, it seems neither of them were expecting such overwhelming force right at the outset, and they're obviously shaken, since they both vector off to regroup. However, this frantic action means Athrusa can easily fall in behind them to pick them off.

Spoiler: Boost Created
    Show
    Shaken Up
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-02-20 at 09:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Yuuki bursts from the ramp just behind Athrusa, screaming through space towards the incoming Ragalian mechs. As they break off under the Nephilim's fire, she takes advantage of the break up of their formation and charges one of the units with sword drawn, bringing it down in a crushing arc aimed at it's arm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to Zone B, and then Forcefully attacking.

(4d3-5)[4]

I have a quote!
    I like you.

9. - Top - End - #159

NinjaGuy

The enemy tries to use its beam rifle to catch the sword and block the blow, since Yuuki's attack is so swift that it doesn't have time to draw any melee weapons, if it has them.

Show
    Quickly trying to block: (4d3-8)[-1]

Show
    Success with Style - You may reduce damage by 1 to gain a boost.

Unfortunately, this is a horrible idea that backfires badly, as force of the blow not only bisects the weapon, but also the suit, and sends the sparking remains hurtling into the last suit in the group, a moment before they both messily explode. The pursuers still entering the zone are now forces to change their tactics, since their enemies obviously can bring considerable force to bear, and they appear to be having morale issues, since it seems to take them a long moment before sending two trios after the Shura, and another two after the Nephilim. Each Gundam now has 6 suits in cautious, almost half-hearted pursuit.

Show
    Divide and Conquer - The enemy has started splitting its forces, but they're obviously afraid of the Gundams.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-02-22 at 09:07 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

NinjaGuy

Sazabi rockets in on Yuuki's starboard wing, arcing deep into the enemy swarm, focusing all of its firepower into a line in front of it, doing its best to cut a swath through the enemy and leave them dazed and confused by the shear speed and force of the attack. Blitzkrieg is an effective tactic, it seems.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Forceful attack (4d3-6)[-1]

Show
    Quick evasive maneuvers (4d3-8)[2]

Not effective enough to do much, if any damage, but the Red Comet certainly has the enemy's attention, now. Another detachment of half a dozen suits breaks off from the main force to pursue the crimson suit, though they're going to have a hard time keeping up with it.

Meanwhile, the group pursuing the Nephilim opens fire on the antique suit, probing fire more meant to show them its capabilities than to do real damage; there doesn't seem to be a focus to it. Still, even unfocused fire can be deadly.
    Spoiler: Attack on the Nephilim
    Show
    Carefully firing at the Nephilim. (4d3-8)[3]

Likewise, the group pursuing the Shura also open fire on the heavy suit, though with its armor, they may be hard pressed to actually do any damage.
    Spoiler: Attack on the Shura
    Show
    Carefully firing on the Shura. (4d3-8)[1]
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-02-22 at 09:20 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

She was no Newtype-- not even registering on any official scale, and yet...

"T-these reaction times are truly inhuman."
    The black-cloaked doctor steps forward, a smile creasing his crooked face. He has a claw-arm that clicks softly against the screen.
    "That's the point. She isn't human. She is..."

The Nephilim zips with a fluidity in its movement that would convince one that it wasn't actually horrifically damaged; it's part and parcel of its whole operating mode -- the collective verniers along its body and wings afford fine control, and the billowing shower of feathers actually acts as camouflage against heat sensors and other targeting systems to assist in cloaking its true position.

And then there's its pilot, too.

Show
    Quickly Defending with a +2 from Heightened Awareness! (4d3-3)[5]

She watches the Captain as she trails a blazing line, whispering, "She's just like the Red Comet..." before shaking her head and focusing upon her targets. They've fallen for the bait, and she's here to collect.

The Buster Rifle locks into place once more as it whirrs with a roaring thrum, motes of light seeping into its long barrel. Athrusa lets out a calming breath and goes through the motions, closing her eyes as she murmurs:

"Target: Lock-on.
    Eliminating the enemy with the Buster Rifle--
    "

Space would light up, a lance of overwhelming power erupting across the combat zone.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Forcefully Attacking with possibly one boost (from my prior Attack) with the Buster Rifle. (4d3-4)[6]
    Last edited by Merilan; 2018-02-22 at 09:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

In a move lacking any semblance of finesse, Yuuki charges at the first trio of mobile suits and tackles their leader. Her aggressiveness throws off the other suit's aim, and the few shots that do find their mark are easily ablated by the Shura's heavy armor.

Spoiler: Defence
    Show
    Roll of 3 v. the Ragalian's 1, making it a success, but not with style.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

13. - Top - End - #163

NinjaGuy

The enemy formation is tight, but not close to the Gundam when the Nephilim turns and fires its Buster Rifle. They try to scatter as soon as the antique Gundam brings its weapon to bear, but some of them most likely won't be able to evade in time.

Show
    Quick Evasive manuevers (4d3-8)[1]

Show
    Success With Style - You may reduce damage by 1 to gain a boost.

The burning yellow of the massive beam drills through the center of the enemy formation, and instantly vaporizes two of the pursuing suits. The massive discharge streaks through the battle area, lighting small explosions along its length where the beam grazes, or vaporizes other suits that have yet to enter the battle. The rest of the formation pursuing Athrusa fires their thrusters wildly, and scatters, their already shaken morale overcome by the obvious superiority of the Gundam's firepower.

Show
    Angel of Death - The Nephilim's strong showing has further frightened some of the enemy into complete disarray, their formation broken, making them easy pickings.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-02-23 at 11:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't think about how there's a pilot in there, don't think about how there's a pilot in there,
    don't think...

Still locked almost suit to suit with the Ragalian mobile suit, Yuuki jerkily draws the energy shotgun from the back skirt of the Shura. She points it towards the enemy mecha and starts pulling the trigger, sending out blast after blast of blue lasers and not letting up until the first e-cell runs dry.

Spoiler
    Show
    Forceful attack:roll]4d3-5[/roll]

I have a quote!
    I like you.

15. - Top - End - #165

NinjaGuy

The enemy leader is doing his best to separate from the Shura after being tackled, and tries to quickly wrench away from the Gundam when the Shura pulls its shotgun and begins firing. His subordinates are also having to take quick evasive maneuvers due to the fire the Gundam is pumping out, which means they're too busy to try and help their commander.

Show
    Quick evasion/maneuvers to get clear (4d3-8)[0]

Show
    Success with style - You may reduce damage by 1 to gain a boost.

Yuuki's ferocious attack overwhelms the trio. The commander's suit manages to wrench away from the Gundam, but before he can get stable, a blast from her shotgun catches him full in the torso, and his suit messily explodes. One of the others fares little better, catching a quick energy spray in the back, decimating the suit's attitude controls, and sending it spiraling away to crash into the surface of the ship below, the flare of explosion rapidly fading away. The third member fares a bit better, only catching the edge of a blast, but it's enough to make them turn tail and run, trailing smoke. The three suits further back in the formation alter their course to cover his retreat, and seem to pause, unsure of whether to approach the Gundam and attack or wait for reinforcement. This leaves them open for any number of actions.

Show
    Indecision The enemy's morale is causing them to second guess each other, making them slower to react than normal.

Captain Brighton, meanwhile, has turned her seemingly reckless run through the main enemy formation into a killing field by leading her pursuers through a trap she cleverly set with the Sazabi's bits. The remote weapons laid dormant, and the enemy mistook them for mines, a mistake they pay dearly for, as when they pass through the formation, the bits come to life, firing their beam guns, maneuvering quickly and erratically to aim at a new target, then shifting once again in a kaleidoscopic flurry that spells doom for any enemy caught inside it. In short order, the six suits pursuing the Sazabi are utterly annihilated, as one by one, its bits slowly return to it after performing their grim work. Once free of its pursuers, Sazabi streaks back towards Yuuki and Athrusa's positions. Curiously, the enemy doesn't seem inclined to pursue it further.

Instead, they seem more interested in gathering information at this point. The remaining enemy near Yuuki and Athrusa hold their positions, and also hold their fire. Perhaps they're trying to analyze the Gundams to determine a better strategy?
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-02-26 at 09:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

There's a faint and shaky breath as Athrusa keeps the recoil of the rattle down, each time fearing that the suit's going to collapse from the sheer, raw power of the weapon being brought to full bore. And this was supposed to be a twin buster rifle. Just what did the ancients have in mind with this machine...?

The mind shivers.

She hooks the Buster Rifle back up as she watches the Captain and Yuuki-- noticing that the latter's firing quite rapidly; she wants to make sure she gets the time to reload, and using the enemy's hesitation...

She charges forward, making to motion as if she's going to launch a second shot in their direction. The ominous roar of the Buster Rifle whirrs to life for a moment--

--and then the shot never comes, the angelic mobile suit instead crashing into a Ragalian suit to knock it off-balance as she runs interference with the enemy's formation. "Yuuki, while their backs are turned!" she announces.

Show
    Forcefully Creating an advantage with the boost from Angel of Death to give Yuuki the benefit of my Interference.(4d3-4)[5]

17. - Top - End - #167

NinjaGuy

The enemy near Yuuki don't seem to notice Athrusa until it's almost too late, and the Nephilim's pursuers were sent scrambling for safety with her feint, leaving her free reign to interfere with the remaining enemy near the Shura. The suit Athrusa slams into tries to evade, but he's going to have a very hard time of it. The other two in the trio are seemingly too distracted to notice her incoming until it's too late for them to do anything about it, either.

Show
    Quick, reactionary maneuvers to evade. (4d3-10)[-2]

Show
    Success with Style -You or an ally may invoke Interference twice for free!

The Nephilim's crafty and reckless maneuver manages to completely blindside the remaining pursuers near Yuuki. Their surprise leaves them wide open for anyone opportunistic enough to take advantage of the situation and blow them away.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-02-26 at 09:19 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

With only a brief moment of hesitation, Yuuki revs up the Shura's chain gun and sweeps it across the remaining suits, hosing them down with laser fire before they have a chance to react to the Nephilim's sudden appearance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quickly attacking seems the most appropriate here. Invoking Interference.

(4d3-5)[3]

I have a quote!
    I like you.

19. - Top - End - #169

NinjaGuy

Too late, the suits notice the Shura readying its chain gun. They try to quickly get out of the path of its fire, but they're going to have a hard time of it due to the lateness of their reaction.

Show
    Quickly trying to dodge the fire. (4d3-10)[-4]

Show
    Success with Style - You may reduce damage by one to gain a boost

Show
    Taking the boost won't affect the following outcome.

Athrusa's maneuver managed to throw the enemy suit into the path of the Shura's chaingun, and the unexpected nature of her interference slowed its comrades' reactions enough that Yuuki manages to destroy all three suits in one quick burst from the Shura's chaingun. With this last action, the Gundam team has destroyed or driven off the groups of enemies that were chasing them, and have effectively eliminated almost half of the initial pursuit party that was tailing the Vengeance. The remainder have fallen back to Zone C, and are slowly falling out of sensor range. Sazabi slows, forming up with the Nephilim and Shura, and Captain Brighton comes over the comm.

"Good work, both of you. I think it will be safe for us to fall back to the Vengeance for now-" She's interrupted as a new voice interrupts over the comm. It's calm, with a slight British accent.

"Gundam Team, we have inbound bogies at 11 and 2 O'clock, range at 35 kilometers and closing. 10 ships, enemy mobile weapon count unknown. Orders, Captain?" There's a brief pause, before Captain Brighton comes back on, as data is relayed from the Vengeance to the suits, showing two enemy groups making a simple Y-shaped formation towards the Vengeance.

"Stay the course, Kent. We'll intercept. Yuuki, take the one on the right, I'll take the one on the left. Athrusa, stay near the ship. If any of them get past us, you need to intercept before they can hit the ship, got it?"

Spoiler: Situation Update
    Show
    The two enemy formations are far out in Zone C, ahead of the Vengeance, but they're closing fast. They'll be in Zone B in approximately two turns.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-03-01 at 09:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa listens in on both Kent and Captain Brighton's update, with a soft shiver of her own. "Copy those orders..." while she's continuing to scan around those targets that Yuuki's chewed through with her chain guns. One of the reasons she's done it, of course, was to allow for her partner to get good shots in, but also to get her close enough to...

...quickly scavenge for any dropped weapons, as she's done before. This time, with her objective in mind, she wants a melee weapon, probably a beam saber or two to replace into her suit's wing binders... besides, she's shown the Buster Rifle and even the Ragalian beam rifle before -- if she picks up more weapons, she can surprise the opposition with weapons their intel don't consider her to have.

Show
    Quickly Creating an Advantage to do what Athrusa seems to like doing - Scavenging. (4d3-5)[2]

21. - Top - End - #171

NinjaGuy

Athrusa manages to find a couple of intact beam sabers among the wreckage, though whether they are actually functional or not will require some experimentation, time she probably won't have before needing to intercept the wave of incoming enemies. Still, something that might be useful later, even if they're not functional now.

Spoiler: Weapons Acquired
    Show
    Ragalian Beam Sabers x2 (This will also serve as the advantage Athrusa's trying to create, a surprise attack mode to use against the enemy).
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-03-03 at 03:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Yuuki nods in acknowledgement, but quickly shakes her head and replies, "Okay, Captain." She gooses her thrusters, sending the Shura drifting forward and to the right side of the bow of the Vengeance. As it goes, Yuuki brings up the targeting computer and sets to reprogramming it for mass fire to hopefully help it keep track of the number of enemies they're going to be facing.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to take my free invoke of A Little Training..., since this seems like the sort of scenario it would be most applicable to. Trying to quickly create the advantage Targeting Solutions.

(4d3-5)[1]

I have a quote!
    I like you.

23. - Top - End - #173

NinjaGuy

The data link between the Vengenace's sensors and the Shura shows that the enemy seems to be largely unconcerned with stealth at this point. The ships, as were reported earlier, are in two formations of equal size, 5 ships per formation, though now as they draw closer, the sensors are able to pick out over two dozen mobile weapons with each group of ships. The ships themselves are of several classes, two corvettes, two destroyers and one battleship form each group. Their approach vector means they'll only have a few minutes to attack before the Vengeance passes out of their range completely, but there's enough firepower there that a few lucky shots could destroy the Vengeance completely. Still, the enhanced data and lack of stealth means that it's a fairly simple matter for the Shura to pull both groups into its targeting matrix and form firing solutions.

Show
    Targeting Solutions - The Shura has the enemy locked in its sights.

Sazabi rockets ahead of the Vengeance, arcing towards the enemy formation on the left. A moment latter, the signs of space battle show once more, as Captain Brighton and the Red Comet streak into the enemy formation. She might not be able to do much damage to the ships with their I-fields up, but she can rip through the mobile suits the enemy has deployed and that seems to be her first goal.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Forcefully attacking the enemy mobile suits. (4d3-6)[0]

Show
    Quick evasive maneuvers. (4d3-8)[-2]

The enemy ships mostly seem to be holding their fire this turn, instead locking weapons on the Vengeance and charging them, but the lead ships in the formations, the corvettes, begin launching torpedoes, in the hope that the mobile suits will be too preoccupied at targeting the other mobile weapons within the formations to be able to intercept them. The relatively slow-moving missiles can be intercepted, but doing so may draw the Vengeance's mobile suits away from attacking the Ragalian suits, and possibly into the path of fire the larger ships might use to attack the Vengeance.
    Spoiler: Attempting to create an Advantage
    Show
    The battle group commander is trying to Cleverly create the advantage Rock and a Hard Place. (4d3-6)[1]

Show
    Yuuki and Athrusa are in position to defend against the creation of this advantage, but Captain Brighton is not, and the Vengeance's own defenses won't kick in until the torpedoes are closer.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

The front armor of the Shura folds down, revealing a pair of gatling guns. They spin up in short order and begin to spray large quantities of what amounts to chaff into space ahead of the Vengeance, and the effect is added to as Yuuki begins to fire her paired vulcans and machine cannons at the incoming missiles as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess Forcefully defending?

(4d3-5)[4]

I have a quote!
    I like you.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa charges in after the Red Comet, focusing as she looks to Yuuki -- and sees that she's got the attempt to bray the enemy's formation largely down pat. She wants to focus on being the Sazabi's guard right now. "Be careful of your flank, Captain!" she launches several shots with the Ragalian beam rifle, until it clicks a few times and she scowls, throwing it away.

Show
    Forcefully making an advantage for Captain Brighton's defense! (4d3-6)[2]

26. - Top - End - #176

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Defense Outcome
    Show
    Success with Style - You gain a boost!

Sazabi turns when Athrusa calls out over the comm, but it's too far away from the corvettes to be able to effectively mount any sort of attack on the torpedoes. Athrusa's fire on the enemy does give Captain Brighton an opening to directly attack one of the corvettes, though, as the suits escorting it now turn their attention on the Nephilim.

Show
    Divide and Conquer - Enemy mobile suits in the left formation now have to divide their forces to defend the fleet from both the Sazabi and the Nephilim.

The torpedoes, however, never make it to their targets. The amount of fire the Shura unleashes destroys all of the incoming projectiles, and their explosions light up the area in front of the Vengeance so much and produce so much shrapnel that the enemy is going to have a hard time targeting the carrier with their weapons.

Show
    Sensor Overload - The enemy's strategy backfired, and the battle zone is now more difficult for them to target, making it easier for the Gundam team to launch surprise attacks.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

As the last green targeting reticle on the screen of the Shura flips over to red, Yuuki heaves a sigh of relief. The last few seconds have been incredibly nerve-wracking, balancing shooting down the oncoming missiles, keeping enemy radar profiles from blocking each other and losing locks, and making sure neither of the two friendly mobile suits get caught up in the sea of targeting solutions. But somehow, she seems to have done it.

With a scream of "Flushing missile batteries! Firing for effect!", Yuuki hammers home the launch button, and almost 80 missiles burst from the Shura, darting through space towards the Raglian force.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Keep Bringing the Circus and taking my invoke of Targeting Solutions.

Forceful attack:(4d3-3)[5]

I have a quote!
    I like you.

28. - Top - End - #178

NinjaGuy

The Ragalian ships aren't able to take much in the way of evasive maneuvers from the Shura's barrage. Their mobile suits are better able to take evasive maneuvers, but many of them are distracted, trying to chase the Nephilim or the Sazabi. The ships activate what their anti-missile systems, hoping that will be enough, but considering they won't see the missiles until they're fairly close due to the screen the Shura created of the debris of their own torpedoes, they're at a distinct disadvantage.

Show
    Forcefully Defending with anti-missile batteries (4d3-10)[-1]

Show
    Success with Style - You may reduce damage by one to gain a boost. Doing so won't affect the following outcome.

Explosions light through the enemy fleet as the Shura's missiles rain destruction down on the enemy hulls. Some of the missiles are detonated prematurely by the fleet's anti-missile defenses, but the vast majority make it through. One of the corvettes detonates messily as an anti-ship missile smashes right through its reactor's containment. The other ships are damaged to lesser degrees, and a number of mobile suits are also destroyed out right, or damaged by shrapnel. The fleet's woes aren't over, though, as Captain Brighton takes Yuuki's cue to pause and unleash the full fury of the Sazabi's considerable armaments at anything Ragalian within the suit's range.

Spoiler: Sazabi Attack
    Show
    Forcefully Attacking (4d3-4)[4]

The fleet really can't do much to defend against these sorts of attacks all at once, and coming from two directions to boot. They might fare a bit better simply due to the number of weapons the Sazabi mounts that are beam-based, but shields alone probably won't save them.

Show
    Attempting to Cleverly defend by shifting their shields around. (4d3-10)[-3]

Unfortunately, this isn't enough to save the corvette that Athrusa's attack made an opening on. One of Sazabi's missiles catches the ship from behind and detonates an engine, leading to a chain reaction that rips the ship apart, and rains debris on its partner, and mobile suit escort, destroying a number of suits. Both formations have now lost a corvette and had other ships take damage, all within a few brief moments of each other. This doesn't seem to deter the Ragalian commander though. As both groups cross into Zone B, the battleships and destroyers open fire on the Vengeance with their beam weapons, hoping to overwhelm the solitary ship's shields. A few stray bolts seem to make it through the powerful screens, splashing on the Vengeance's armor, leaving dents and pock marks, but none seem to do any serious damage.

The enemy mobile suit force doesn't sit by idly, either. When the barrage starts, they redouble their efforts against both the Sazabi and the Nephilim, giving chase to the two Gundams and attacking with their beam rifles in concerted volleys. Despite the Sazabi's speed and maneuverability, a stray blast manages to clip the suit's shoulder, spinning it for a moment before Captain Brighton manages to regain stability. Both Yuuki and Athrusa hear her growl to herself over the comm, but she says nothing else.

Show
    Need a defense roll from Athrusa, and then it should be her turn.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-03-07 at 09:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa couldn't help but stare as the gleam of the explosions the Shura and Sazabi both inflict shower over her screens; she shakes her head for a moment, and then peers towards the enemy mobile suits as one of them manages to clip Captain Brighton on the shoulder. "Captain!"

The Nephilim is on the move. It jukes left, right, and then-- rather than rely on the Buster Rifle or the now thrown-away beam rifle, makes do with what /looks/ like a machine cannon spray...

But the winged, angelic mobile suit is instead carving a trail across the enemy formation -- a sudden pink gleam visible as it draws the Ragalian beam saber and cuts through them.

Show
    Cleverly attacking! I'll use both the boost I got and from the Scavenged Weapons boost to make up for my lower base! (4d3-3)[3]

30. - Top - End - #180

NinjaGuy

The Nephilim's quick, unpredictable movements, combined with the amount of shrapnel suddenly flying through space and the losses the Ragalian suits have been taking means that their attempts at volleyed fire on the antique suit do little more than scatter their already tattered formations into complete disarray.

Show
    Formations Scattered

They're going to have a difficult time creating a focused defense, especially when the Nephilim begins attacking using one of their own weapons. Most of them aren't able to mount much of a defense, since they were more focused on ranged attack and defense due to the Shura and Sazabi's assault, but a few are quick enough on the draw to at least try and quickly get out of melee range with the Nephilim.

Show
    Quick withdrawl from melee range (4d3-10)[-1]

Show
    Success with Style - You may reduce damage by one to gain a boost.

Unfortunately, most of them aren't fast enough to actually get out of the Nephilim's range, and Athrusa tears through several more suits, either disabling or destroying them. It seems that, between the Nephilim and the Sazabi, nearly all of the mobile suits that were in this formation of the enemy have been damaged, disabled, or destroyed. The ships are the only real threat left here, and the Shura is probably better equipped to deal damage to them. The other formation, of course, still has some of its mobile suit contingent left, though.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-03-13 at 08:44 PM.