Troll in the Playground

Default Re: In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords [IC]

OOps, mistake on my part on the damage roll:

(2d6+6)[11]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

yuk Re: In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords [IC]

Alan Gibbs

Wincing from the blow to his head, Alan closes his eyes for a moment, then lashes out again at the guard in front of him. After slashing with both daggers, he withdraws out of sight of the warlock.

Spoiler
    Show
    SA: Attack
    MH Atk - (1d20+6)[23]
    MH Dmg - (1d4+3)[6]
    MH SnAtk - (2d6)[6]
    OH Atk - (1d20+6)[16]
    OH Dmg - (1d4+1)[4]
    OH SnAtk - (2d6)[6]

MA: Five foot step to the left (away from the hallway)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

"Alan, wait up a moment!" Mathias runs over to him and touches his arm, hands glowing with a white fire, and Alan suddenly feels like he was never hit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright,first moving over to Alan, then using 8 points of Lay on Hands to heal him, leaving 37 pts left.
    If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCALATOR = EVERLASTING FUN

Leon Penningon/Trask Theodriel by Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aerhalyss
    moves diagonally to the south-west and peeks around the corner, prepared to cast a spell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ae marks the new position

.. .. 3 .. .. .. .. Ae.. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. .. .. Al 4 J .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
    0000000|~~~~~|00000000000000

I hope she can peek around the corner, therefore getting as much cover as possible against the guys down there and still see what's going on.
    She flings a tiny red glowing orb down the corridor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actions:
    - move to corner (see spoiler above)
    - check how the spellcasters are distributed... the corridor is 20ft. wide, the fireball goes 20ft. in all directions, that should cover the entire breadth and a lot of length. Approximately a 40ftx20ft rectangle and the entire height of the tunnel.
    - cast a suddenly maximized fireball (using up my 1/day use of the sudden maximize feat) at a spot from where the blast affects all the enemy spellcasters. I try to get as many warriors as well but spellcasters (soft clothes) are primary.
    If for some reason that is not possible, tell me my options. I could delay until they move into range or hit all but one or something like this.

- fireball does 5d6 fire max. = 30 with a reflex save DC 18
    Last edited by Krelon; 2007-08-16 at 02:12 PM. Reason: adjusted
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

((Krelon, if you're peeking around the corner to cast the spell, then there's gonna be a few penalties.
    -You'll lose some of the cover since you'll be exposing some of yourself to cast the spell, I'm thinking going down to half cover. And due to the awkward angle of leaning around while casting, the concentration check has a 2 point penalty, so the DC is 10+2+spell level.
    -You can keep the cover and not worry with the concentration check if you're willing to only aim for what's in your line of sight
    -or you can lose the concentration check if you're willing to abandon the cover and move over 5' so you have a clear view.))
    Meh, I have nothing clever to say here.

6. - Top - End - #36

Sechrin

From his position, he couldn't see the threat from the southern corridor, but the bolt of energy that smashed into the martial rogue's face made it obvious their pursuers weren't all simple guards. To Sechrin, in particular and at this moment, the fact was set aside as mostly irrelevant.

Slipping into a less crowded position so as to avoid certain potential problems, Sechrin moves a bit down the corridor and lines up another shot at a guard, dead straight ahead in the intersection.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    move from current position SE/E, putting me E/E of Aerhalyss' position before she moves.

Longbow shot at G3

Attack - (1d20+7)[18](25)
    Damage - (1d8+1)[1](2) + (1d6)[2](2) (acid)

no PBS bonus applied to either roll due to distance.

7. - Top - End - #37

(( actions slightly changed ))
    Spoiler
    Show
    ok, edited map in post above.
    ACTIONS:
    - move next to Jeando (1 square NE)
    - look down the corridor and cast fireball as described in prev. post (hopefully getting all or all minus one spellcasters and as many warriors as possible in the blast area).
    - If the casters are spread so much that I cannot get them then instead of casting move back 30ft. to the right and disappear behind the corner.

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tristan

Tristan glowers at the crossbowmen behind his helmet, and charges the third guardsmen with his ax leading the way. He growls as he stumbles right before contact.

Spoiler
    Show

Charging G3. Tristan should be directly in front of the third guard. If the lizardman attacks G3, he'll attack G2.

Attack (1d20+11)[13]
    Damage (1d8+7)[14]
    4 (possibly 5 on a miss) uses of DM
    Last edited by Godhand; 2007-08-18 at 11:41 AM.
    "Yes, I am shaking in my omnipotent boots at their new outfits. I am helpless against the powers of fashion."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sechrin takes a shot at one of the ranged guards, landing a good shot on the guard's leg, who grunts in pain at first, and then stifles a moan as the acid eats away at some of his flesh.
    Jeando attacks the guard in front of him, felling him in one blow. However, the unusual properties of Jeando's sword merely leave the man unconscious on the ground.
    Rashnik's trident is not so merciful. His pronged weapon skewers the crossbowman before he can fire off another shot.
    The remaining bowman, now a mere 5 feet away from the terrifying lizardman, flees, not wishing to also end up impaled upon his deadly weapon.
    Aerhalyss moves so that she can see down the corridor towards the attackers. Taking aim, she launches a fireball down the hallway, detonating in their midst to devastating effect. Two of the guards and one of the spellcasters are floored outright. The warlock and one of the guards manage to avoid any damage purely by the luck of the gods themselves, and the remaining spellcaster and two other guards take some heavy damage, but are still standing.
    With all immediate threats dead, fled, or incapacitated, Tristan holds his position to focus on the oncoming threat.
    Calling his powers into play, Mathias lays his healing hands on Alan's head, and the wounds of the blast close over as if they never were.
    Alan, not wishing to experience such a blast again, withdraws immediately around the corner out of sight of the spellcaster.
    The warlock, apparently offended by Mathias' interference, sends a blast at Tristan instead. Catching him full in the chest (-10 hp), the blast arcs off of Tristan and into the just-healed Alan (eldritch chain, -9hp).
    Guard 5 continues his charge forward, sword flashing and bellowing in rage. Guard 7 imitates him almost perfectly.
    The remaining spellcaster, perhaps inspired by Aerhalyss' invocation, sends a small glowing orb streaking down the hallway, only to blast into a spherical inferno in the middle of the group. Rashnik manages to avoid some of the damage (-7 hp), though Tristan is not so lucky and takes the full blast (-18 hp) as do Mathias (-16 hp), Aerhalyss (-13 hp) and Jeando (-17 hp). Alan's rogueish instincts kick in and leave him as unscathed as Sechrin, who manages to be just outside the blast radius.
    The final guard also chooses to attack from afar and launches a crossbow bolt straight ahead at Jeando, but misses by a very wide margin.

Order:
    Spoiler
    Show

Velvet Elvis
    13_CBS -17hp
    Psionic Dog -8p
    Krelon -13hp
    Godhand -28hp
    Stick_Ninja -16hp
    JEntropy -9hp
    Warlock
    Guard 5
    Guard 7
    Sorcerer
    Guard 8

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. x R .. T .. .. x .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. .. .. M .. .. Ae .. .. .. .. S .. .. ..
    .. .. .. Al .. u J .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    0000000|~~~~~|00000000000000
    0000000|.. 5 .. ..|00000000000000
    0000000|.. 7 .. ..|00000000000000
    0000000|.. .. 8 ..|00000000000000
    0000000|W .. .. S|00000000000000
    0000000|.. .. x ..|00000000000000

((End round 3))
    Last edited by Xian; 2007-08-21 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Bad math

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tristan

Wincing as the searing flames cover him, Tristan touches his hand to his chest, and feels a warmth of energy flow through him. The burns close to a large degree, and only trace amounts are left.

Tristan moves next to the priest, grimly awaiting the advancing guards.

Spoiler
    Show

Lay Hands on self for 15, MAXhp-3 now.

Moving to the square right of the cleric.

ooc: Lv 6. sorcerer? Yesh...
    Last edited by Godhand; 2007-08-20 at 01:01 PM.
    "Yes, I am shaking in my omnipotent boots at their new outfits. I am helpless against the powers of fashion."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Godhand View Post
    Tristan
    ooc: Lv 6. sorcerer? Yesh...
    ((At LEAST lvl 6. Muahahah))

12. - Top - End - #42

((Xian, I hjave combagt medic up, he can't attack me))

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Jeando Dakat, cleric 5
    HP: 15/32
    AC: 16
    Touch AC: 11
    FF AC: 15
    Spells:
    0- Create water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Resistance x2
    1- Bless, Divine Favor, Comprehend Languages, Magic weapon, Domain spell: detect doors
    2- Bull's Strength, Enlarge Person, Calm Emotions, Domain Spell; Identify
    3- Searing Light, Magic Vestments, Domain Spell: Dispel Magic

Jeando hisses in pain as the blast sears a good bit of his flesh away.

By Pelor...the spellcaster must be stopped!

Jeando will cast Searing Light at the sorcerer who launched the spell against his companions and then move to the right, out of sight from the sorcerer.

Attack roll for Searing Light: (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage: (2d8)[16]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stick_Ninja View Post
    ((Xian, I hjave combagt medic up, he can't attack me))
    ((Ah, I forgot about that. Thank you for the reminder. Just to clarify, this makes you impervious to all damage, or it simply means that you can't be directly targeted? I just need to know because you weren't the specific target.))

15. - Top - End - #45

((Oh, if it's because I wasn't the target, it's ok. I just can't be attacked.))

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

((Right-o. I'll adjust the actions for the Warlock tomorrow, but the fireball damage stays as there was no one target.))

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Rashnik (20/28)

The lizardman drops his trident with a curse as he realizes it is off little use with no foes this side of the water. Heeding Jeando's suggestion he pulls out his bow and fires a shot at the sourcer.

Attack - (1d20+6)[12]
    Damage - (1d8+2)[6]

Spoiler
    Show

Again, if I can sheath and draw a weapon together as a move action, I do so. (Please tell me if my weapons are in a pile by my feet or safely in their sheaths.)

Also, if more casters and/or guards are coming up the corridor behind the ones on the map, Rasknik says "There's too many, start running!" Rashnik will also scream this if both he and Jeando miss.

If the Searing Light drops the sourcer, the bow shot will target the Warlock.

Just in case I need a spot to see past the map edge... Spot - (1d20+2)[15]
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2007-08-21 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Fog Cloud Invalidates Attack Plan

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

Alan leans back against the wall, catching his breath and wincing from the second eldritch blast.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm confused as to why I'm down 26. First EB takes me down eight, which our healer apparently restored, then I take 9 from the chain? I'm missing something, I'm sure, but since I only have 31, it makes a difference ;)

I'm in no shape to go charging in, he says in a hushed tone, but if you can draw them out I'll attack the flank. Sadly, I've no way of reaching those damned spellslingers from here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Holding action until a more opportune moment during the round, ideally if the guards charge by and I can get into a flanking position. If I can manage it, here's the attack:

MA: Flank
    SA: Attack
    MH Attack - (1d20+6)[19]
    MH Damage - (1d4+3)[6]
    MH SnAtk - (2d6)[10]
    OH Attack - (1d20+6)[14]
    OH Damage - (1d4+1)[4]
    OH SnAtk - (2d6)[7]

However, if I'm at 5 hp like you've said, there's no way I'm going anywhere out in the open. Alan will instead inch further down the wall, stumble down to the floor, tell the others not to worry about him just yet, and wait out the rest of the fight. He won't want to take up the healer's time while the others are still in the thick of things.

19. - Top - End - #49

Sechrin

Sighing heavily as he witnesses some of the others being fried like rats over a campfire, and not looking much better, he shifts position so that he can view just as much of the southern corridor as he needs for his intentions. The sooted walls and the smell of burnt flesh reminded him that putting oneself closer into harm's way was rarely a good idea. He'd have to think about the wisdom of doing so later--if he still had a brain to think with.

Sechrin raises a hand, finger pointed at a spot somewhere down the southern hall, and once again intones ancient words in that strange double-echoing manner, "Shys os Mol!" A puff of grey appears about twenty five feet beyond the juncture forming the tee intersection, as if spewing from the center of the stone wall. Within a heartbeat, the puff expands filling the entire corridor, floor to ceiling, wall to wall with grey, roiling fog.

"I suggest you take this opportunity to move away from this area to heal and improve your positions while you have a chance," Sechrin urges in a normal, but serious voice.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to refer to the map I posted here for better accuracy in referencing things. Quick aside...I lamed out and didn't use numbers for the horizontal axis. I claim brain fatigue. Anyway, assume the second letter is the horizontal axis for the following:

move from C-P to A-L, from which I have line of sight to my intended centerpoint for the Fog Cloud spell, which I am placing at the intersection of I-J and F-G, against the western wall.

I'm assuming there will be no "volume compensation in confined spaces" rules in play, since there wasn't for the fireball, so this fog cloud will just fill all the squares from row F through row M in the southern corridor (up to the ceiling). Note that it will conveniently obscre the water-covered spaces on the floor, which should present an additional hazard to those crossing through it. Movement through the fog (for those that can't somehow see normally in it or by some other means than vision) counts as twice as many squares (i.e. count each as 10'). Ref: PHB p232.
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-08-21 at 12:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Aerhalys
    "Damn!" 3 silvery glittering semi-opaque energy darts leap out of her hand and corkscrew their way down the corridor unerringly hitting an enemy spellcaster. Before they even hit she turns on the spot and heads out of the crosing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    cast magic missile x 3 (3d4+3)[2][4][3](12) at fireballer (if sorceror is still standing) or at warlock (if sorc down already)
    move 25ft right and 5 ft. down ("cuddling" to the dungeon wall, hence hopefully out of line of sight and area of nasty effects)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Rashnik (20/28) [Revised battle orders]

"HA! That'll stop em' for a few seconds, lets take that and run, we need the time to heal anyway." Rashnik calls as he moves to take cover behind the corner across from Alan (DK on lettered Grid).

Spoiler
    Show
    If Rashnik had to drop the short sword, he picks it up and ends his turn at the indicated location.

If he was able to sheath his weapon when charging earlier, he continues moving down the wall another 15 feet (to DN on lettered Grid) and draws it.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2007-08-21 at 08:50 AM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

((I made some changes to the round resolution due to bad math. The only action that changed was the initial eldritch blast hit Tristan instead of Mathias. Otherwise, I made hp adjustments for Tristan, Mathias, and Alan. JEntropy, I have zero idea how I did the math that Alan had lost 26 hp; that was some crazy math that has been corrected.))

23. - Top - End - #53

Not saying anything, Mathias waits and goes last in thier escape, since he can't be attacked, and incase anyone falls.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Pelor's favor shines on Jeando as the divine light arcs down the hallway and sends the staggering sorcerer to the life beyond.
    Rashnik sends a bolt after the remaining spellcaster, but strikes the stone wall in front of the man instead.
    Aerhalys' missiles are far more accurate as their never-missing accuracy pound into the warlock. (-12 hp)
    Tristan tends to his own wounds to keep himself standing for the fight. (+15 hp)
    Alan, a little dazed from all of the damage and recovery his body has taken in such a short time span, holds his position until a guard should be so foolish enough as to get within range of his deadly blades.
    Sechrin's magic produces pleasing results as the hallway fills with a conjured cloud, obscuring the view of all within.
    There is a low chanting from where the warlock was last seen, and ends with a shout. Sechrin's mist dissipates, giving clear view of the hallway.....and then reforms as if nothing had happened. The voice of the warlock roars in frustration. (Failed Voracious Dispelling)
    Choosing a more direct approach, relying on what he last saw, the closest guard can be heard approaching forward, albeit at a much slower rate than before. This is immediately followed by a *swip*THUD* right at the edge of the mist.
    Further back, quarreling can be heard. "It's the best shot we've got." "No, you fool, you can't see where you're aiming!" "Doesn't matter, I'll get 'em anyways!" "NO! NOT HERE!"
    Then, inexplicably, a blazing orange light can be seen through the fog and a wave of heat hits the party. Then, all is quiet, save for a light moaning where the "thud" was heard.

Order:
    Spoiler
    Show

13_CBS -17hp
    Psionic Dog -8p
    Krelon -13hp
    Godhand -13hp
    Stick_Ninja -16hp
    JEntropy -9hp
    Velvet Elvis
    Guard 5

((End of combat))
    Last edited by Xian; 2007-08-29 at 11:46 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Aerhalyss

The badly singed elf swipes the last trails of smoke from her coat and cursing under her breath she moves cautiously back to the group. Whispering: "Hey guys, did you also hear that one of 'em is still around? Sechrin, do you think you can ask this one politely to be our guide?" She touches a blackened spot on her arm and moans softly "Aww... can someone spare a heal?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

After peeking down the hallway and into the mist, Alan looks back at the others:

Good show, everyone - but we should keep moving before whoever was still back there shows up with more guards. Left or right? he asks, looking for someone to take the lead.

27. - Top - End - #57

Mathias

Mathias smiles at Aerhalyss and says, "Of course." and walks over and, hands glowing, touches her burnt arm, healing it. He then waits for anyone else to mention injuries.

((Just using enough healing to cover her, and if anyone else asks, he'll heal them too))

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Rashnik

Rashnik looks at Sechrin and says, "A guide would help, if you have the power to... recruits... reliable aid, but Alan is right, we dare not wait long this deep inside the slaver's fortress. If you can get the information needed to get us out fast, so be it. If not, I say we go left. That other guard probably alerted everyone right."

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

Aerhalyss

Smiles back at Mathias and says, "Thank you".
    Looking back at the fog cloud she adds, "I'd take the chances and spare a few moments to go through the cloud and take a look on the guys we just beat, they could carry keys, plans, maps, written orders and other useful things. If we work together we could drag them out of the mist quickly and check - at least the spellcasters. I have a hunch we'll need every piece of intelligence we can get... just running around blindly is not satisfying"

30. - Top - End - #60

Sechrin

"I'm afraid once in place, I can't dismiss the fog at will, so if you'd care to see if those other two have fried themselves, you'll need to go through it. They didn't appear to be the types to use subtlety, so I suspect they're not lying in wait," he offers to anyone that cares to listen.

Rubbing a fingertip across the contour of one brow, he adds, "If one of you would drag that injured guard to where we can see him, I'll see what I can do to convince him to cooperate."