New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Tell us about your Dice Rituals & Superstitions!

I roll dice for just about every minor entertainment decision i need to make usually regarding , what to play or watch or should I play or watch . If my little brother wishes to end an argument or force my hand he suggests I roll dice and i do . He knows i will follow the dice to the letter .
    When he tells me to roll dice on his behalf and then he goes against that , I make a huge a stink about it until he relents.

In theory i could just flip a coin but i use dice .
    Last edited by Pugwampy; 2017-09-27 at 05:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only dice collector out there. I don't have that many myself, and I'm missing some of the extended polyhedral set (no d14 or d30), only about half a large homemade dice bag, but that's slowly growing. I like dice, and I find most people rarely have enough, so being able to fill a large dice bag with whatever die or dice the system uses is incredibly useful. Anything above that in my collection is just for the enjoyment, or because my family didn't know I had them already (but there's nothing wrong with owning 24dF).

Call of Cthulhu? Keltia? World of Darkness? I've got over 40 d10s of various colours, including a couple of tens dice (I like the two colour method myself). Mutants and Masterminds? I have enough fairish d20s for an entire group (and two or three that I don't trust because they're for life in Magic). Shadowrun? I have literally over 40 d6s in my primary dice set. Savage Worlds? I carry at least three each for d4s to d12s. It's even more useful when running systems, being able to designated colours to NPCs and rolling several checks at once can really speed a game up.

Ideally my next addition to the collection would be a solid white with black numbers polyhedral set and solid black with white numbers polyhedral set. As I've said, I don't care too much about fairness so I'm not going to shell out for GameScience, but having a 'light' set and a 'shadow' set will help for a dungeonpunk game I'm planning.

But ah, the memories of remembering when people were going to visit my room in an hour, and moving my dice collection from the shelves to my bag. I used to be so foolish about such things.
    GS used to be a lot cheaper, only a bit more expensive than Chessex. Then they got bought out by a gaming retailer, then bought back by Zocchi after some quality control issues popped up with the manufacturer. Since then the prices have been quite a bit higher. Most of mine are old, from back when they weren't priced as "arm, leg, or firstborn." I don't really think they're worth the expense now. If the price ever drops back down, maybe. I'd probably recommend Koplow instead—in terms of consistency they test quite close to GS, have really good legible numbering, and they come in sets of 10 with 4d6 apiece for about the same as a 7-piece Chessex set.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    GS used to be a lot cheaper, only a bit more expensive than Chessex. Then they got bought out by a gaming retailer, then bought back by Zocchi after some quality control issues popped up with the manufacturer. Since then the prices have been quite a bit higher. Most of mine are old, from back when they weren't priced as "arm, leg, or firstborn." I don't really think they're worth the expense now. If the price ever drops back down, maybe. I'd probably recommend Koplow instead—in terms of consistency they test quite close to GS, have really good legible numbering, and they come in sets of 10 with 4d6 apiece for about the same as a 7-piece Chessex set.
    I'll keep it in mind, as it is I tend to buy my dice loose picking out the ones I need. Because the qualities in a d12 I want to add to my collection are different to the qualities in a d8 to be added.

I will have a look when I get a job though, I need a good set of 'd20 system dice' that are relatively fair. As it is, the only collection dice I have that are intended as primary game dice are my Fate/Fudge dice, the others are only used as gaming dice because I can't afford everything.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

d20 Re: Tell us about your Dice Rituals & Superstitions!

You pick up the d20.
    You stare intently at it.
    And then you throw it across the room and see what number it lands on.

It actually works.
    Welcome to more wonderful tomfoolery, scandal, adventure, and murdering of horrible, horrible frogs!

Always take ranks in profession (dungeon inspector)

Amazing avatar by the magnificent Linkele

GNU Terry Pratchett

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime.
    Teach him to steal, and he won't have to eat fish for the rest of his life."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have a real life costume based off a character I created, a red and black dragon who is a chaos/luck elemental. Nowadays I have special red and black dice so as not to anger him.
    Currently taking part in Godbound campaign:
    Oberon, level 3 Dragonborn paladin, Godbound of Sun, Fertility and Health:
    Famed for:
    1) Cutting a Drider Godbound in half with a greatsword
    2) Challenging an Ent Godbound to a fist fight sans godpowers, and winning
    3) Walking the city as a miniature sun and convincing all the rioting citizens that, no, the gods are not dead.
    4) He once bought an apple.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Yellow dice roll best, unless you're rolling damage, in which case, Red ones are the best.

If you use a red dice cup, and place it firmly on the table, without slamming it, the harmonic resonance of hard leather against wood pleases the good rolls, and you will be blessed.

If rolling a D20, always announce the twenty before rolling twenty, but never if you're rolling anything lower. If you announce a twenty and roll lower, you are guaranteed to not roll a twenty.

If you roll when no one is looking, high rolls are assured, but will not be counted.

Dice are not to be brought out of the bag unless for gaming. They are professionals, and not to be oogled.

If you roll high on an unimportant roll, you will roll low on the next important roll.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
    Yellow dice roll best, unless you're rolling damage, in which case, Red ones are the best.
    Red ones also go the fastest.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
    Dice are not to be brought out of the bag unless for gaming. They are professionals, and not to be oogled.
    Oh, I disagree completely. They are in the entertainment business, and come out to entertain.

My d1 and d120 come out pretty regularly, as well as my d60, a d24, and a few others, even though they aren't used in most games. [I actually managed to use my d1 in a D&D game once.]

I even recently bought a set of dice to roll any number up to 9,999,999.999. Those come out whenever somebody comes to visit this week. [I just got them out to roll them. I got 4,221,570.638.]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

The only thing I've done in the past as a younger me is breathe on the dice.

... When the opposite side of the numbers you want it turned up, in the hope that the warmth and moisture will slightly stickify that side.

It's not worth it as far as I can tell. Even then I could only see this working in a dice cup, because the water, salt and fat on your hands is bound to be just as big an influence as that in your breath. I've given up on half assed attempts to be a cheater since then.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Never touch Reece's dice, or allow them to touch yours.

That will only passs on the curse.

He's the only guy I know who managed to be possessed by a Daemon in a one off session of Deathwatch.

He's the only guy I know who's died from falling despire holding onto a paraglider. Seven natural 1s in a row.

He's the only guy I know who has managed to disarm himself whilst holding the loot cache - he fumbled all the swords we'd looted in the whole dungeon in one fight.

Cursed, cursed I say!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

I think Reece might be a masochist cheater.

;)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

The important thing isn't precisely which number I get, but rather if I succeed or fail at a roll.

Through each session I keep two sets of dice. If I fail a roll, I remove that die from play for the rest of the session, and instead use the one from the second set. If that one fails, I swap it again (the first having served its penalty).

I swear my rolls are getting higher and higher.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Never touch a die that does not belong to you without permission of the owner. Not even to hand it to them.

Dice need to be reminded what the correct way to show up is. Place them with their highest value up when not in use.

Dice know what you are rolling for. Do not use a skill die for an attack, nor an attack die for a save. This primarily refers to d20’s.

Do not roll on the battle mat. It angers the dice.

Some dice must be appeased before they behave themselves. The exact means varies between individual dice. Some d20’s must fall into a dip before they will roll above 10. Others only wish to be used while DMing. Some will only work when rolling for another PC’s character.

Dice will grow jealous if you purchase an identical set.

All dice superstitions are wrong, except for when they are not.
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2018-01-18 at 02:57 AM.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

You know, actually I do have a pretty big dice superstition.

I like to think all dice (except my series of misprints) are close to fair. That dice make sense and how you treat them doesn't matter.

That's a pretty big assumption in itself, for a physical object in the real world.