New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Divinity: Original Sin 2: Larian doesn't know what 'original' means

So this just left Early Access.

And holy cow is it good. Like, really good. Like, maybe the best and most creative thing of its sort I've played in yonks.

So you go to build your character. All the normal options are there; elf, dwarf, human, lizard (!?). Then there's undead versions of each(!). Then there's specific characters with histories you can select. So maybe you want to play a human singer who happens to be sometimes possessed by some sort of very unpleasant spirit. Or a cannibal elf lady, or an age-old undead who just wants to figure out where everybody went. Or maybe you don't like any of the above, and whip up your own custom undead lizard.

Whatever the case, you can still choose your character class. Except OS2 doesn't have character classes, so you really just pick your starting attributes, skills, abilities and talents, and can customize them to your heart's content. And some of these are weird, like a skill that focuses on magically altering your own body, or being able to talk to animals.

Any of the fixed characters you don't play as will show up later as companions. And because OS2 is a smart game, you can set their class when you recruit them, so no more wanting to play a wizard but liking the wizard NPC or any of that nonsense.

The actual game itself is very clever. It does away with a lot of stuff that makes RPGs dull (obvious main quest quests) while getting rid of a lot of stuff that makes them obnoxious (unnecessarily stupid inventory shuffling), and then just basically lets you go do whatever you want. Combat is really excellent, with lots of weird abilities and about three million things on fire constantly. At least so far it doesn't feel the need to through easy-peasy fights at you constantly, so fights are occasional and actually pretty difficult. It's much more about being clever with positioning and abilities than the usual sort of throw numbers at each other until your bigger number pile wins.

If you like RPGs, you should be playing this.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2: Larian doesn't know what 'original' means

I've been looking forward to this ever since I noticed it (which, admittedly, wasn't that long ago). How much do you need to have played the previous Divinity: Original Sin for this game? I'll probably end up getting both at some point, but just curious.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I've been looking forward to this ever since I noticed it (which, admittedly, wasn't that long ago). How much do you need to have played the previous Divinity: Original Sin for this game? I'll probably end up getting both at some point, but just curious.
    I played a bit of Original Sin 1, but was very far from finishing the game and I don't think it matters at all. OS2 is way better in basically every discernable fashion, so I'd just skip Original Sin 1 and go straight to this.

One of the weird things about the Divinity games is that they all take place in the same universe, but they don't really seem to reference each other that much, and are very self-contained. This even extends to the in-game lore; it's there but the games focus much more on the things happening now than what happened in the writer's college D&D game the lore of the world. This means there's a remarkable lack of giant piles of lore you need to deal with, so you can get on with setting giant electric frogs on fire or whatever.

(Which isn't to say that the world isn't deep or full of stuff. I'm hard pressed to think of a game that packs in more stuff. It's just stuff that you don't have to read a bunch of fake history to understand or do.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

After playing through the original D:OS with a friend, I was super excited about this. Picked it up and it looks really great so far. The tag system is pretty cool, opening up dialogue options based on who you are. And I've already seen a number of options opened up by racial choice, too (though sadly I haven't been of the correct race to actually take advantage; looking forward to replaying later with a different character to see some of that!)

I love how well the D:OS games work for two players; since you create two main characters instead of one, you just each take a character. We opt to each take the Lone Wolf talent so that's that, but you could opt out of that and I assume each get a companion (and then control two each instead of one each). The dialogue system takes advantage of having two players, too; a lot of conversations, each person gets to weigh in.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I like the game, but I just got stuck (playing on Classic difficulty) because the only way forward seems to be via the Arena or via an underground passage, and both contain fights that I can't get past with my level 3 party. Debating whether to restart on Explorer or keep beating my head against that particular brick wall...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Game's great. Bedrolls are great. Revamped action point system is great.

I made a mistake of going into Necromancer/Aerothurge on my character because I thought Necromancer was going to be as dope as Witchcraft was in the first game with buffs and debuffs. It turned out to be pretty mediocre. But then I picked up Pyrokinesis and it is AMAZING in this game.

If I could do it all over again (which I probably will at some point) I would make a pyro/geo lizardman. Not sure what I'd go into for a third skill school later.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

OK, turns out I missed a quest that gives me a pretty dope pair of teleport gloves, which I think is going to make things a bit easier--at the very least it'll give me more tactical options in those battles I'm struggling with.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Finally got closer to getting out of Fort Joy last night. In fact I've found a way out, but I've got some quests to finish up, and there's an annoying number of magisters who aren't dead yet. Still working on that.

The degree to which this game does not handhold and the difficulty of the combat encounters is really cool. It's not like I'm following a checklist, but really have to figure stuff out. For instance a character with a poison wand in their right hand and a fire wand in their left just devours magic armor. The ground also usually ends up on fire; a perfect place to summon something right behind your enemy to start ripping them up.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Yeah, the interaction with the environment is pretty cool, all told--was in the first game, too. Admittedly, teleporting a nasty enemy into the middle of a sea of fire isn't as effective in 2 because of the whole magic armour thing, since they won't actually catch fire unless all their magic armour is gone--not something likely near the beginning of a fight.

Pretty much in the same position you are, warty goblin--I could leave Fort Joy through any of the three exits I've discovered so far, but want to get as much XP and loot from the fort as I can before I leave.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah, the interaction with the environment is pretty cool, all told--was in the first game, too. Admittedly, teleporting a nasty enemy into the middle of a sea of fire isn't as effective in 2 because of the whole magic armour thing, since they won't actually catch fire unless all their magic armour is gone--not something likely near the beginning of a fight.

Pretty much in the same position you are, warty goblin--I could leave Fort Joy through any of the three exits I've discovered so far, but want to get as much XP and loot from the fort as I can before I leave.
    In an amazing twist, the exits also function as entrances, for the most part. While not all of them will let you go back, if you can find where they let out on the other side, theres a decent chance you can break into the fort again from that direction.

The game does a pretty good job of warning you when you hit points of no return.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    In an amazing twist, the exits also function as entrances
    Witchcraft!

So I've just bought the game a few days ago, but haven't been in the mood to load it up and play yet. I really enjoyed the first game, but it also frustrated me quite a bit at times with some bizarre design choices. For now I'm content to let it sit in my library until I have the patience for it. Very glad to see all the high praise in this thread though.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlackDragon

The game does a pretty good job of warning you when you hit points of no return.
    I never thought leaving the fort *was* a point of no return, I just didn't see the point of leaving until I'd thoroughly explored the place. As things stand I just dinged level 5 after killing Kniles the Flenser, but I think it will still be a struggle to take out the High Judge and his adds with the equipment I've got (guy is heavily armoured and hits like a truck), so I'm going to leave the fort and come back for them later.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I never thought leaving the fort *was* a point of no return, I just didn't see the point of leaving until I'd thoroughly explored the place. As things stand I just dinged level 5 after killing Kniles the Flenser, but I think it will still be a struggle to take out the High Judge and his adds with the equipment I've got (guy is heavily armoured and hits like a truck), so I'm going to leave the fort and come back for them later.
    There are a few places that having a teleport ability on all your characters is extremely handy, just for exploration. The actual teleport spell cant be used to relocate the caster, so either get them a different spell to do it, or find a second person with teleport.

It threw me for a loop at first, because I saw a lot of inaccessible areas, and I didn't know Teleport was a thing at the time, so I assumed there had to be some way of getting there by land.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Man being level 4 or 5 for that fight would have been nice. I think I was level 3. Fortunately Kniles rushed in and was promptly set on fire and poisoned, then tried to teleport out and managed to kill himself on the landing. The meat golems and silent monks weren't too much of a problem, since the golems lacked any armor, and the monks only had magical armor. Unfortunately for them I had just found a Blood Rain skillbook...

Still haven't found those damn teleport gauntlets.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

So do you guys recommend custom or origin characters? I don't particularly like any of the origin characters, but I also don't want to miss out on a bunch of the game's content just because I want a different backstory.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

In an amazing twist, the exits also function as entrances, for the most part. While not all of them will let you go back, if you can find where they let out on the other side, theres a decent chance you can break into the fort again from that direction.

There's also the waypoint statue in the fort that you can always teleport back to.

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Man being level 4 or 5 for that fight would have been nice. I think I was level 3. Fortunately Kniles rushed in and was promptly set on fire and poisoned, then tried to teleport out and managed to kill himself on the landing. The meat golems and silent monks weren't too much of a problem, since the golems lacked any armor, and the monks only had magical armor. Unfortunately for them I had just found a Blood Rain skillbook...

Still haven't found those damn teleport gauntlets.
    There's a quest that points right to them. I'd recommend holding onto them for utility value.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

Yeah, I don't think the crocodiles you have to kill to get the gauntlets will even spawn unless you've got the quest to kill them.

Explored some of the swamps, and have found a creature I can't kill and a lever I can't pull, so going to have to figure out how to do those at some point!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah, I don't think the crocodiles you have to kill to get the gauntlets will even spawn unless you've got the quest to kill them.

Explored some of the swamps, and have found a creature I can't kill and a lever I can't pull, so going to have to figure out how to do those at some point!
    I can confirm that they DO spawn without the quest. That's how I found the gauntlets.

The lever is the cursed lever, correct? Where you rescue Gareth?
    Spoiler: Spoilz
    Show

Well, You cant un-curse it until you get the ability to cast Bless. Find a Shrine to the Seven in a couple places around the swamp, step in a glowing puddle of Source, and get your collar off.

19. - Top - End - #19

There are a few places that having a teleport ability on all your characters is extremely handy, just for exploration. The actual teleport spell cant be used to relocate the caster, so either get them a different spell to do it, or find a second person with teleport.

It threw me for a loop at first, because I saw a lot of inaccessible areas, and I didn't know Teleport was a thing at the time, so I assumed there had to be some way of getting there by land.
    You can use the gauntlets, then send them to the other character

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    So do you guys recommend custom or origin characters? I don't particularly like any of the origin characters, but I also don't want to miss out on a bunch of the game's content just because I want a different backstory.
    You can get some neat dialogue options with the origin characters, but it's mostly the same (at least so far for me); it's pretty much just a bonus tag. You can also build the origin characters however you want, if it's just the builds you don't like.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

What kinds of characters are people running, and how are they doing with them?

I'm having troubles coming up with characters besides a wizard lizard that I would want to play in a second start of the game.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

I just have four of the pre-rolls--that gives me range (Ifan), tank (Red Prince), and two mages (Lohse and Fane). Seems to work well enough.

Oh, and this is one of those rare games where I looked up at the clock ten minutes ago and realised it was twenty to one in the morning and I was nearly two hours past my normal bedtime--it is *amazing* to have one of those games again.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I just have four of the pre-rolls--that gives me range (Ifan), tank (Red Prince), and two mages (Lohse and Fane). Seems to work well enough.

Oh, and this is one of those rare games where I looked up at the clock ten minutes ago and realised it was twenty to one in the morning and I was nearly two hours past my normal bedtime--it is *amazing* to have one of those games again.
    I know, right? It happened to me as well.

Anyway, ive found that having the standard RPG mix of fighter (with a 2h weapon) rogue (with a bow), support caster and damage caster is well suited to handle most challenges. Fighter skills have a lot of crowd control even without a shield, so I can dish out some serious damage with the martials while the casters let loose with the status effects and healing.

I think they've done a good job of making sure that all playstyles are useful. Ive never really looked at one of my characters and said "yes, this person doesn't need to be on my team for success".

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    What kinds of characters are people running, and how are they doing with them?

I'm having troubles coming up with characters besides a wizard lizard that I would want to play in a second start of the game.
    I'm doing a double Lone Wolf run with my buddy. I'm going pretty straight archer (with a splash of hydrosophist to give some healing); archery seems incredibly powerful as long as you can get higher ground, which it seems you usually can. He's got a strength-based Necromancy/Polymorph fighter that charges in and steals all the enemies' health. So far so good! Although I'll admit we're still on the starting island; it can be a bit tricky to find play time with a nine hour time difference

I'm pretty sure the Origin characters choose a random preset every time you enter character creation
    Last edited by Nadevoc; 2017-09-24 at 05:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nadevoc View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Origin characters choose a random preset every time you enter character creation
    If you meet them later, they tell you their prefered class, but you can switch them to any other preset. Prince is a fighter, Fane a Wizard, Ibn a Wayfarer, Lohse a Enchanter, Sebille a Rogue and Beast a Battlemage.

I quite like a pure int inquisitor myself. Warfare and necromancy work pretty well together. And then there's polymorph. It's so good. You can take one level of it with any character and you barely lose out on anything.

Speaking of good. Pickpocket. It's very broken.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Murmaider View Post
    If you meet them later, they tell you their prefered class, but you can switch them to any other preset. Prince is a fighter, Fane a Wizard, Ibn a Wayfarer, Lohse a Enchanter, Sebille a Rogue and Beast a Battlemage.
    And if you pick one to play yourself you can choose any character class you like--I kept Ifan as a ranger because his portrait has a crossbow in it, but I could have made him a mage or thief if I'd wanted to.

26. - Top - End - #26

BlackDragon

So, has anyone tried tackling the scarecrow gang in Driftwood? Those guys are *nails*, I barely managed to scratch them with a level 11 party despite them only being one level higher!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So, has anyone tried tackling the scarecrow gang in Driftwood? Those guys are *nails*, I barely managed to scratch them with a level 11 party despite them only being one level higher!
    I got my butt handed to me rather firmly by them, however I too was underleveled at the time. I suspect that by the time I'm ready to leave Reaper's Coast, they would be easier to defeat.

I also didn't really understand party composition then. I had one mage, Lohse, and didn't have any healing spells on her at the time.

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

I still haven't bought her a healing spell either, but then, I do have two other guys who can cast Restoration due to equipment--I need to get somebody an actual Teleport spell so I don't have to keep using the gloves from Fort Joy, because the stats on them are garbage.

Anyway, I found a way to deal with the scarecrows--they're quite close by to the paladin checkpoint, so if you can kite them there the paladins will do most of the work for you. Currently working my way round the second level of the wrecker's cave, will probably ding 12 before I finish that.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Ohhhhhhh crap.

This whole time I assumed I would customize each character in the party, but there is actually no way to get the NPCs who join up with you to be anything but a preset class.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    Ohhhhhhh crap.

This whole time I assumed I would customize each character in the party, but there is actually no way to get the NPCs who join up with you to be anything but a preset class.
    Actually, you can; it just takes a little bit of time. Once you get past the opening chunk, you get a mirror that lets you re-spec.

Spoiler: Exact timing is a little tiny spoilery
    Show
    Once you defeat the bishop dude and capture the boat--it's on there.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2017-09-26 at 06:41 PM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.