New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2: Larian doesn't know what 'original' means

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Fair enough. If you decide to do a second playthrough Ifan comes with it.
    Only if you make him a wayfarer. If you reclass him, he loses it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fair enough. If you decide to do a second playthrough Ifan comes with it.
    I think they patched out him getting it as an extra talent. Only way to get it when recruiting now is to pick a preset class that has the talent like wayfarer or conjurer.

3. - Top - End - #363

DwarfClericGuy

I haven't seen anyone mention it here so I will. Larian is doing a advent contest/giveaway. Every day till the 25th they're releasing a comic with a 3 digit code hidden in it. Find the code and get free goodies. The first day was various audio files of Lohse's song. I haven't done the second one. Easiest way to find the comics is probably Larian's twitter.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Banned

My point was that his default class comes with the perk.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Started back up a little bit yesterday... And realized I am perfectly happy with everyone's build
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The problem is I like this game, but it's running too slowly.
    -_-

7. - Top - End - #367
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ArlEammon View Post
    The problem is I like this game, but it's running too slowly.
    -_-
    I had the same problem. It's awfully optimized and the "minimum requirements" to run it are basically an outright lie. You can run the game decently for the first chapter with the minimum specs, but as soon as you leave Fort Joy the engine slows to a crawl and only gets worse as the game progresses.

On a related note, I did finally get my new computer. Unfortunately it's been so long that I don't really want to pick up the game where I left off anymore, and it's probably too recent to start another playthrough when I already know everything that's going to happen. Maybe I'll download one of the difficulty mods off the nexus to keep things fresh or something.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

My 6 year old, slightly above minimum spec, PC ran this game just fine. I played through the whole game without any slowdowns. Maybe a slight drop in FPS in the Black Pits your whole screen is covered in necrofire fight. But other than that I had no problems.

Minimum requirements are just that, the minimum for the game to run. No promise of how well it run. If any of your hardware is below the minimum you have no cause to complain.

If you want the game to run well then you want to meet the Recommended requirements. If your PC met the recommended specs and you had issues then you definitely have cause to complain.

I don't think you can accuse developers of 'outright lieing' when even with 2 identical hardware spec pc's you can have vast differences in performance. Hardware wise one person could have a failing hardrive, gpu/cpu cooler that needs to be remounted, some device connected that is causing issues or the computer is not properly ventilated due to dust or being put in cabinet of some sort. Software wise you could have bad drivers, antivirus interference, some backround software using up all the memory. Even something as small as one person running power saver mode and the other running performance mode could make the difference.

Also there was a known issue with steam cloud saves causing slowdowns. So if you have the steam client try and disable steam cloud.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I've had this game for ages and enjoyed the first act when I played it, but I must admit I keep getting hung up on party building - focusing on getting all the tags represented rather than focusing on what would be the most fun or the best narrative. Maybe veterans of the game can help me on this.

I like using Ifan as my main (with Ranged, Summoning, and Polymorph as primary skills). I did not regret the choice and would be pleased to reprise the character when I play the game "for real".

Given that main, and the fact that I play games more for the story than the gameplay, does anyone have any suggestions on what would be fun/satisfying party members to include? How can I tell the most interesting story, party-wise? Do either Lohse or Sebille make compelling romantic interests? Who's the better comic relief, Lohse or Fane?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

There's a mod on Nexus that allows you to have all of the characters in your party. It trivializes a lot of the fights, but if you care more about story than combat anyway, it's worth looking at.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I don't get what Loshe's original class is. Is she a Witch? Wizard? Conjurer?

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I don't get what Loshe's original class is. Is she a Witch? Wizard? Conjurer?
    Her default build is an air/water enchanter, according to the fextralife wiki.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

Easiest way to find anyone's default build: it's the one that comes up when you first select them in the character creator.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Easiest way to find anyone's default build: it's the one that comes up when you first select them in the character creator.
    They'll also just straight up tell you what it is when you invite them to your party. AFAIK, none of them vary from the class selection defaults.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #375
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VexingFool View Post
    My 6 year old, slightly above minimum spec, PC ran this game just fine. I played through the whole game without any slowdowns. Maybe a slight drop in FPS in the Black Pits your whole screen is covered in necrofire fight. But other than that I had no problems.

Minimum requirements are just that, the minimum for the game to run. No promise of how well it run. If any of your hardware is below the minimum you have no cause to complain.

If you want the game to run well then you want to meet the Recommended requirements. If your PC met the recommended specs and you had issues then you definitely have cause to complain.

I don't think you can accuse developers of 'outright lieing' when even with 2 identical hardware spec pc's you can have vast differences in performance. Hardware wise one person could have a failing hardrive, gpu/cpu cooler that needs to be remounted, some device connected that is causing issues or the computer is not properly ventilated due to dust or being put in cabinet of some sort. Software wise you could have bad drivers, antivirus interference, some backround software using up all the memory. Even something as small as one person running power saver mode and the other running performance mode could make the difference.

Also there was a known issue with steam cloud saves causing slowdowns. So if you have the steam client try and disable steam cloud.
    Except it's a problem that's so widely known that it's literally stickied on their forum for months with no fix in sight except vague promises of a fix one day

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    They'll also just straight up tell you what it is when you invite them to your party. AFAIK, none of them vary from the class selection defaults.
    Yes, but they won't come out and say what schools or specific skills, tags, etc. they have, and not all of the preset class names make it immediately obvious which schools they use.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377

They should probably have put a respec item in Act 1 too, since it's the part where you're more likely to experiment, make mistakes when building the character and where a single wrong point can screw you the most.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    They should probably have put a respec item in Act 1 too, since it's the part where you're more likely to experiment, make mistakes when building the character and where a single wrong point can screw you the most.
    Yeah, but with the possible exception of the final boss fight there's really not much that's difficult in Act 1--even badly-built characters should be able to make it through the content there. If you've messed up your character build so badly you can'r get to the Lady Vengeance then you're probably better off starting again anyway!

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah, but with the possible exception of the final boss fight there's really not much that's difficult in Act 1--even badly-built characters should be able to make it through the content there. If you've messed up your character build so badly you can'r get to the Lady Vengeance then you're probably better off starting again anyway!
    Ive found that gear matters significantly more at that point than skills do.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm at Fort Joy still. Is it me or is this game hard? I'm trying to fight my way past the Amphibians in the cave. . . can't find the Hidden Alcove, have lost to the Migo guy eating corpses, and have found that the sorcerer Crocodiles are kicking my azz on an epic scale.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm at Fort Joy still. Is it me or is this game hard? I'm trying to fight my way past the Amphibians in the cave. . . can't find the Hidden Alcove, have lost to the Migo guy eating corpses, and have found that the sorcerer Crocodiles are kicking my azz on an epic scale.
    Save early, save often. Fort Joy can be a pain because you have no abilities, no equipment, and no readily available source for either. Make sure you have a full party, and remember that crowd control is king. Enemies who only have one type of armor, or none at all, are easy to fight if you have the correct CC available.

22. - Top - End - #382

BlackDragon

Well, what level are you and what sort of equipment do you have? The way the game scales generally means that you won't have a nice time fighting anything above you in level--Migo you *can* probably take down with a level 3 party if you have decent equipment because he's only one dude, but fights like that are rare. As Keltest says above, gear is probably more important at this stage than skills, so make good use of the vendors and grab anything that isn't nailed down (and isn't labelled in red--stealing is not a good idea because you *will* get caught and probably end up in a fight you don't want) so you can turn it into cash and thence into better armour and weapons.

One other thing: if one of your characters is standing in something harmful like fire, *don't move*. You will do far more damage to yourself trying to run out of the flames than just sitting in the middle of them!

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Well, what level are you and what sort of equipment do you have? The way the game scales generally means that you won't have a nice time fighting anything above you in level--Migo you *can* probably take down with a level 3 party if you have decent equipment because he's only one dude, but fights like that are rare. As Keltest says above, gear is probably more important at this stage than skills, so make good use of the vendors and grab anything that isn't nailed down (and isn't labelled in red--stealing is not a good idea because you *will* get caught and probably end up in a fight you don't want) so you can turn it into cash and thence into better armour and weapons.

One other thing: if one of your characters is standing in something harmful like fire, *don't move*. You will do far more damage to yourself trying to run out of the flames than just sitting in the middle of them!
    Thanks for the hints. I've managed to kill the Wizard Crocodiles and Migo.
    I still need to somehow get to level 3.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks for the hints. I've managed to kill the Wizard Crocodiles and Migo.
    I still need to somehow get to level 3.
    Theres a few fetch quests you can do that get you XP. exploring new areas also nets you some.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Can I kick out party members that are dead, or Do I need to resurrect them??

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Can I kick out party members that are dead, or Do I need to resurrect them??
    Theres an option to "release their spirits" if you talk to them while theyre dead, but I don't actually know what that does, since ive never done it. Resurrect scrolls become incredibly easy to come by past act 1.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Banned

Slowly getting back into the game. I usually only get about one fight done before I get bored and quit, but I've got 6 days off coming up, so maybe I'll actually make some progress. I do enjoy the actual combat, but things like re-equipping everyone constantly, or talking to every NPC for quest hooks are feeling tedious. It doesn't help that I'm still felling pretty disconnected from the story from being forced to take such a large break.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

The game is indeed pretty hard to start out. And a lot of fights hit you out of left field, like those Sudden Teleporter Crocodiles. (I myself tried to prepare the battlefield by filling the area between them and me with slowing grease, reasoning that I had ranged weapons and crocodiles probably didin't, so that'd give me extra time to deal with them. I may have gone "WHAT THE F***?!" outloud at the sudden teleport )

"Get into fight, die to gimmick, reload, ace the fight with previous knowledge allowing for better positioning" is how a lot of my bossfights went. So do save often and compulsively. That quicksave button is your friend.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2017-12-17 at 03:59 AM.

29. - Top - End - #389

BlackDragon

I do enjoy the actual combat, but things like re-equipping everyone constantly, or talking to every NPC for quest hooks are feeling tedious. It doesn't help that I'm still felling pretty disconnected from the story from being forced to take such a large break.
    You could just start again if you've lost your thread with the story? That's what I usually do. Re-equipping happens a lot at lower levels but not so much later on in the game. As for the NPC quest hooks, I don't remember doing much of that in Driftwood--certainly considerably less than in Fort Joy!

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Theres an option to "release their spirits" if you talk to them while theyre dead, but I don't actually know what that does, since ive never done it. Resurrect scrolls become incredibly easy to come by past act 1.
    I couldn't help but notice the "Skills" are kind of limited in number.