New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite OOTS Character Final: ALL EVIL! #5 BELKAR v #2 REDCLOAK

Quality beats quantity: Redcloak for the win!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    Redcloak for now, but I think Belkar's end will be better than Redcloak's.

Reason? Belkar was a straight line of one dimension. He's not much more deep now, but the line is twisting and turning so it's hard to tell where it'll end up.

Redcloak is the opposite. He's very much the unexpected villain, trope-breaker I name thee.
    We know Belkar will die. It seems fairly safe to assume it'll involve some redeeming heroic sacrifice. I don't really feel anxious to actually see it happen, it feels meaningless by it's expected meaningfulness.

Redcloak? He's so invested in the Plan, there's so many moving parts... Will he succeed? He might succeed, and the result might be unexpected, given how little we know of the Dark One and his plan. He might fail... but how? Why? Will the Plan fail, but somehow succeed in another way (him obtaining peace for his people without completing the ritual)? Will it utterly fail, with Xykon destroying his people? Will it fail, with Xykon also destroyed, and no gain for his people? What's in the astral fortress, is it the real phylactery or the fake one? If the fake, where's the real? What will be done with it?

Team Evil has so many conflicting interests and deceit, I find the story to be much more thrilling than the main "we are the good guys, we'll fight the bad guys, and we'll win in the end".

Belkar's prophecy feels like a spoiler. Makes his "character development" feel like a trope to make his death more meaningful, which, to me, cheapens it. Team Evil, though, offers a much more compelling story. They get enough showtime to make us understand their efforts, motivations, and challenges more than in a typical story, which I greatly appreciate. Makes them more than just generic "bad guys" for the good guys to defeat. Also means that they had enough show time to add the possibility of them being defeated by other means than a direct fight with the heroes.

I wonder if Oona has a worthwhile background story? :P
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    You can't. It's a fact
    Sure you can argue facts. People do it all the time.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

I think lots of people would argue that Belkar isn't funny at all, or is only funny when the joke is on him.

"He gets a joke in nearly every strip he's in" only matters if there's universal agreement that all his jokes are funny--which is nowhere near being the case. If you mean "the more humor-oriented character," say that.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    You can't. It's a fact
    Note to self: Liquor Box's opinions are now apparently facts.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

This is a great day for the vertically challenged people. Whoever wins, it will be a midget.

That said, Redcloak for the win. Because the Villiain is always more interesting than the Hero.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, I guess I'd go with Belkar. Both interesting characters, but honestly, Belkar using Bloodfeast to save the two bounty hunters, and his brief discussion talk about why the rest of the OotS keep him around for hurting people were more poignant than anything Redcloak has done. Redcloak for all his deviousness and theoretically noble intentions is really just a petty hypocrite.

8. - Top - End - #188

SamuraiGuy

Both good characters, but only one rides a T-rex through a mass of carnage while laughing with his kitty. So Belkar it is.
    Last edited by jidasfire; 2017-09-26 at 09:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189

Redcloak still has a 3-point lead. 38/33. ETA I mean 38/35.
    Last edited by alwaysbebatman; 2017-09-26 at 10:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

amused Re: Favorite OOTS Character Final: ALL EVIL! #5 BELKAR v #2 REDCLOAK

Redcloak

let's summon some Plutonium elementals 4 the win!!!

Interestlingly, I don't either contestant getting a perfect happy ending at the end of story, but if they were perfect, they wouldn't be so loved, would they???

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    Redcloak still has a 3-point lead. 38/33.
    That's... not a 3-point lead.
    Even the wind will know agony.

12. - Top - End - #192

Thank you! The margin was correct, but Belkar's score had a typo. 39/35 Redcloak now.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

When will this end? I'm confused.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2017-09-26 at 10:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    When will this end? I'm confused.
    Didn’t you hear? Belkar will draw his last breath ever before the end of the year, thereby granting the win to Redcloak.

15. - Top - End - #195

Today's the last day. Automatically closing at 4:59 PM California, 7:59 PM NY, 11:59 PM London.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Redcloak winning this will be as disappointing as strip #830 winning that other contest. Very.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Come on, O-Chul people! Do you really want the guy who just barely edged out our favorite to win this thing? At least make the bugger sweat for it!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Potatomade View Post
    Come on, O-Chul people! Do you really want the guy who just barely edged out our favorite to win this thing? At least make the bugger sweat for it!
    ... Yes? The one who edged out my favorite had better come out on top. A vote for Belkar =/= a vote for O-Chul.

Edit: Did I even vote for O-Chul over Redcloak? I don't think I did. Either way, they're both good. For certain definitions of 'good'.
    Last edited by Chei; 2017-09-26 at 01:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    ... Yes? The one who edged out my favorite had better come out on top.
    No! Redcloak's victory over O-Chul must be punished by losing to a far greater evil!

Petty vengeance! That's what O-Chul fans want, right?

...right?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Potatomade View Post
    No! Redcloak's victory over O-Chul must be punished by losing to a far greater evil!

Petty vengeance! That's what O-Chul fans want, right?

...right?
    Hahaha. Your argument will definitely compel the Belkar fans, at least. But the Redcloak fans have come too far to give up now. If Redcloak loses, everything they've done would have been for nothing.
    Last edited by Chei; 2017-09-26 at 02:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Bitterleaf for the win! Redcloaks a dope, he's no hope and getting smoked....and so on.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I think lots of people would argue that Belkar isn't funny at all, or is only funny when the joke is on him.

"He gets a joke in nearly every strip he's in" only matters if there's universal agreement that all his jokes are funny--which is nowhere near being the case. If you mean "the more humor-oriented character," say that.
    Obviously I was only kidding when I told Pelee that Belkar being the funniest is a fact.

I think he is the funniest and it seems that many others (probably the majority) do to. Obviously it's not unanimous, but I think that's a bit of an unrealistic threshold - I doubt there's a character in the strip who is universally agreed (by posters) to be funny.

That Belkar gets a lot of jokes suggests two things. First, it implies that the Giant thinks he is consistently funny, or at least thinks his readers find him consistently funny. Second, for those who do find him consistently funny (most of us I think), we get a lot of the humour we like - while those that find Redcloak funny get much less mileage from him.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    Did I even vote for O-Chul over Redcloak? I don't think I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Chei!! Accursed nonbeliever! It was YOU all along! We lost because of your vote!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Is this over? Hope not.
    My vote: Belkar.
    This discussion of who the more interesting or well developed or funny character is is pointless. None of those are at issue here. I agree Redcloak is more developed, but that makes no difference. My favorite character is Belkar. Period. Though I'd say Redcloak moved up several slots after the Azure City storyline.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sexy shoeless god of war! Belkar.

27. - Top - End - #207

PirateGuy

Switching from o chul to belkar for maximum drama.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Pixie in the Playground

Redcloak for me

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Ugh all we need is 1 more vote to tie it up!

30. - Top - End - #210

Bobb's switch momentarily tied it up.

39/38 Redcloak. Just under two hours to go!
    Last edited by alwaysbebatman; 2017-09-26 at 05:03 PM.